Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan

Knifegrab posted:

Ah fair enough then. I think from their perspective it makes sense because while for the hardcore turbo nerds like us, yeah we could just use ReVIve but there are probably a solid number of users out there that will in effect be locked into that market place who wouldn't ever know or be bothered to deal with ReVive. That number is probably relatively low right now because most people involved are enthusiast but as VR gets more popular the more obstacles you put between a user and content the less likely they will be to access that content, which I think is what Oculus is hoping for.

This is a really temporary situation though. What you will see is when the Mom and Pop market arrives, they will get a Rift because it's simple and easy and it doesn't take over a whole room of your house, but the IT savvy nephew who introduced them to VR in the first place will be the one who sets it up, or tell them how to set it up at least, so that many if not most Rift users won't even install the Oculus software, since it will work out of the box with SteamVR. Oculus Home will become a tiny boutique store of over overpriced, sponsored "experiences" selling exclusively to the uninformed in a well informed age, making a pittance compared to Steam, who will continue to be Walmart.

edit: Can you even imagine what John Carmack must think of all this? The guy who wrote Quake C, a whole language for modders, a cornerstone of the modding community, then having modders and pirates lumped into the same group by some idiots who outrank him. Poor guy. Same goes for Luckey to an extent.

monkey fucked around with this message at 03:09 on May 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan

Cojawfee posted:

That would be pretty cool if they could get decent hand tracking. I think my ideal tracking would be something that could just track your hands in room scale, like a camera in the lighthouse base station that could get an overall idea of where your hands are and whether they are open or closed. And then a leap motion type deal on the headset that allows detailed gesture tracking for when you can actually see your hands. So I could grab an object and move my hand off screen but still be able to hold or throw that object with the less detailed tracking. But then I could also look at it and do detailed some detailed interaction. Maybe have a bracelet or something that securely attaches to your hand for accurate positional and just use the camera for seeing if your hands are open or closed.

Bracelets that are tracked with lighthouse, or constellation, or something non-line of sight like sixense, or whatever, with three low res / high FPS cameras on the bracelet spaced about 120 degrees apart for accurate hand gestures regardless of where your hands are, even if they are occluded from trackers or outside your POV. Plus a little onboard processor in the bracelet which does the CV / 3D math independently at a high internal FPS and sends out neat, optimised little data packets. Ankle bracelets would be the same but only need 1 camera.

Edit: Most of all though, what I really want is just a pen. Tiltbrush is great and all, but it's low precision and takes a whole room, just because of the size of the controllers. I want to sculpt 3D models comfortably at my desk in 1:6 scale with fine motor tools like scalpels and spline emitters, then scale them up to do the fine details.

monkey fucked around with this message at 03:05 on May 27, 2016

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan
Yeah, for lighthouse and most likely constellation also, the pen would need a sort of rapier-like handguard. Sixense method you could theoretically do with a single sensor, but two or three would be better and colinear sensor arrangement wouldn't matter so much.

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan
I have my vive set up in the garage with no internet. Works fine as far as playing everything goes.

For the guy feeling bad about cancelling a rift preorder, my rift order was at 20 mins and I got it about a month ago, but i have not plugged the CV1 in once since the vive arrived a week ago. Only reason im not selling the CV1 is that i want to make sure my stuff is compatible with both headsets, eventually, once touch comes out.

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan

SwissCM posted:

Touch is already emulated by Revive, though I can understand the concern that Oculus will push another update (or takedown request).

Sure, but people with a CV1 generally aren't running revive... I'm not running revive either, as I have both headsets. The only reason for me to keep the CV1 is so that I can make sure my stuff works on the CV1, but I have no interest in supporting an xbox controller.

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan

GlyphGryph posted:

Keyword being now. They have said they will have a chaperone for the Touch release. Maybe it will even be better and have a proper ceiling boundary! Or maybe it will be garbage, or they lied again and won't ship it at all.

I have yet to use the pass through camera on my Vive, I should probably figure it out but that one seems like a big non issue to me. I am mostly white glad the Steam software is good enough I haven't had to care. Man the first time you load it up and notice you you can just straight up SEE the wands is great.

Maybe they'll put the front camera on the touch! When you fire up the vive camera, you get the silly Tron view by default, but you can also turn a normal camera display on which sits on your hand rather than filling your whole view. Sometimes I wish the hand cam display was attached to a camera on the controller itself so I could take stupid selfies and also see my own butt.

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan

GlyphGryph posted:

Maybe you should set your bounds a bit smaller then, because I haven't had this experience at all. How long are your arms? Because my chaperon bounds reliable come up as soon as I get within arms reach of the boundaries. And I'm not exactly delicate with flailing my arms around as my dented controller and ceiling can attest.

Maybe it should have configurable arm lengths though, that I'll give you.

You realise chaperone comes up when your head OR hands are near the boundary, right?

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan
Could someone with a rift and a lot of space behind them tell me how far you can get the from the cameras before tracking turns to poo poo? I'm guessing it's at least as far as the cord reaches, right?

Edit: also with touch controllers and two cameras, does it still force you to calibrate the "centre" within a meter of a camera?

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan
I was behind in this thread and expecting a ton of awesome posts about E3 but nope, same old exclusivity BS. :/

So Alienware are making a backpack VR PC as well now: http://www.roadtovr.com/alienware-backpack-pc-virtual-reality-e3-2016

I don't see backpack PCs catching on, mostly due to cost, plus they'll never work on Rift because of the wired tracking setup, but what would be cool as a VR addon would be something similar looking to a tactical vest, with a wireless HDMI receiver, torso tracking via lighthouse or constellation (two different models, I guess) and just a poo poo ton of batteries all over it. What is latency & quality like on WHDI anyway, does anybody know? It supposed to be low, but is it low enough for VR?

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan

ShadowMoo posted:

I can see there being a lot of business applications for VR like construction, design, or job training. That market is just in the planning stages right now. It would be cool to have a VR walkthrough of a building that is being drafted.

This is more or less what I do for a living, building and presenting non-game related VR tech demos, for arch vis, training, data vis etc. and I can assure you the "just a fad" mindset, while not uncommon, disappears the moment anyone tries on a proper VR headset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan

Michaellaneous posted:

One more thing since I can't really find any info:
How far away does the basebox need to be from the playing field?

If they are mounted in the corner at ceiling height facing down 45 degrees, they'll be able to track right into the corners from inside the play area