Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Nalin posted:

My Galaxy S6 overheats inside my Gear VR in about 5-10 minutes. When that happens, it stops your game with an overheat warning message. If you ignore it, the phone starts to throttle the GPU and suddenly you are dropping tons of frames inside VR. It isn't fun at all.

The Galaxy S7 contains a heat pipe, and everything I can see online says the overheating problem has been massively improved. Cooler CPU + more RAM + heat pipe results in a much greater VR experience.

If you want a Gear VR, it is pretty much required you have a Galaxy S7. If you only have an S6 or a Note5, do not buy it.

Have you tried turning down the brightness? My S6 used to overheat (after 30 min, never as quick as 5-10), but turning the brightness down to 3-4 notches stopped that from happening. I can game for an hour plus now, and I've watched 3 hours of Neflix without any issues. Even my brother with a Note4 uses one with no problems. I'd still definitely recommend the Gear for anyone with a compatible phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Vadoc posted:

I want a VR game where I'm crushing a city. Or also fighting giant monsters while the city gets crushed in the fight.

Rampage VR needs to happen.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

PSVR is going to flop in America because all the devs are going to focus on creepy poo poo that will never see the light of day here.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

drat, that is really intensifying my desire to learn welding.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Oh poo poo, is that what caused Nimble America?

:doink:

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Getting my pre-emptive mod request in: please embed this song once touch releases

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtOviHnmAlE

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

So are there any Populous style games in the works? Or really any kind of "boardgame simulator." Seems like such a natural and obvious fit for VR.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Thor-Stryker posted:

Thanks for having sissy spider-fingers and ushering in the era of fudged texts because touchscreen keyboards are nowhere near as powerful as QWERTY.

For me, I shall suffer for having man hands and type/swype slow as gently caress because I have to fix everything.

Just use a stick dude.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7tRYj-Y6qI

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Hadlock posted:

You need a school or office desk with 2 or 3" casters. Preferably Check out Worthingtondirect.com and see what they have from Balt or Bretford. You can order a totally bespoke commercial grade desk for under $300. Talk to Crimson or Kevin M (phone or online chat), give them your budget and they'll be able to work with you. If you get some garbage from OfficeMax it's going to be some cheap Chinese garbage. For a few dollars more you can get a real computer desk.

Disclaimer: I used to work in that industry years ago

So would this be pretty solid? http://tinyurl.com/je3lhzb

That adjustable height split surface seems like it would be awesome for big peripherals.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

There's been at least a half dozen people in this thread talk about having to cover pictures on the wall, tv screens, windows, etc. to keep the lighthouses from freaking out. There is no way that is going to work for mass consumer adoption. It's fine for early adopters who don't mind dedicating a space to VR, but I can't imagine that tracking system surviving past the first few generations of headsets.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

To complete the experience you need someone to bang you over the head with a cast iron pan whenever you try to move from room to room.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Well, I was planning to hold off for second gen headsets, but the Rift price drop combined with selling my old PC for $600 seems a bit too coincidental to ignore. Anyone know what all free games are included now with Rift? I know Robo Recall is, but not sure if the launch freebie bundle is still included or not.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Phuzun posted:

Out of the launch freebies, the only one you won't get is The Unspoken. Eve valkerie was a pre order thing that you won't get either. I just got one the day of the price drop.

Free things appear to be Lucky's Tale, Robo Recall, Dead & Buried, Quill, Medium, and First Contact (I think was the name).

There are a few free games that you can grab from the store as well, they aren't automatically added to the library, so troll through there to pick things up. I saw a gamepad version of Minecraft, Herobound (which is decent and free on GearVR as well), quite a few experiences and VR animated movies.

Cool, sounds like Eve Valkyrie is no big loss anyway. Now the question is do I run to Best Buy and get it today, or wait until after I beat the new Mass Effect???

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Phuzun posted:

Yeah, you won't be getting back to ME for awhile, if you do. Also, ordering online to skip any local tax is a bonus...I was impatient and paid the extra $45.

Amazon started charging sales tax in our state this year :(

I think I will wait a bit though, still finishing up Horizon on ps4 anyway.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

SEKCobra posted:

Because what's the point, it's just a hassle to dismount, put back in the box and take to the store, the Vive is like a week or two old anyway. Just taking the controller is far easier.

I wouldn't be surprised if they don't accept just the controller.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

So judging from that video you just spaz out and fill in circles, note charts are no longer a thing? That looks so loving bad.

e: Ordered my Rift from Oculus yesterday, anyone know roughly how long they take to ship? Haven't gotten a tracking email yet.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

"But don’t worry — the note stream mode is still here in full effect if you want that."

Sounds like you can switch on old-school note lane gameplay then?

I wonder how that would work, if the note lane moves with you or what.

I really loved GH/Rock Band years ago, so hopefully someone here picks this up and can let us know if it's total garbage or not.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

My Rift/Touch is scheduled for delivery on Friday, anything I should download and get ready before then?

Also, what are the best cockpit games out now on the flying and driving side? Sounds like maybe Elite and Project Cars?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Any must-haves on Steam that aren't on Oculus Home?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Bhodi posted:

Tons, but most are free. Here is what I currently have installed and maybe one or two are on oculus home but most aren't

accounting
blueshift
budget cuts demo
climbey
google earth vr
job simulator
ironwolf vr
the lab
lunar flight
onward
pavlov vr
portal stories vr
waltz of the wizard
house of the dying sun
vanishing realms
obduction
surgeon simulator meet the medic vr

steamvr is absolutely worth installing and setting up even just for the bunch of freebies. chaperone tweak is pretty much mandatory though.

Awesome, thanks for the list! It looks like I'll be pretty well covered with free stuff to start off. I do plan to buy Superhot first thing, since I've been waiting to play it until I had a headset. I'll probably pick up Elite Dangerous pretty soon too.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Has anyone hacked MS Flight Sim or another real world flight sim to work in VR yet?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

That looks promising! Anyone here use it? I should probably search for the flight sim thread and ask about it there.

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 23, 2017

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Oh drat, just saw that Oculus shipped the headset with signature required for delivery. Guess I'm taking the afternoon off! Just glad I noticed now and not when I got home to a note on my door.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

So, uhh, VR is pretty loving cool.

e: I have to go shopping for a new light fixture now. I've punched the ceiling fan in my office half a dozen times already. bye bye ceiling fan.

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 25, 2017

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Anyone have tips for getting the Rift set up in SteamVR? I followed the directions, but my floor is way off from what it should be. I know I've seen it posted in this thread numerous times, but I can't seem to find anything.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Bhodi posted:

The fastest and best fix is to go into settings -> developer use "quick calibrate" to a small room while your headset is on the floor, then load up Chaperone Tweak within VR to drag it exactly to where it belongs and drag your walls to the oculus ones.

While you're doing config, install Advanced Settings and set your chaperone to 'developer' mode so it only shows on the floor or make the opacity 100% so you don't get a double wall situation. The advanced settings also has a quick floor fix if you bump your cameras or something.

If you're in a game that has a "eyes on the floor" issue but other games are fine (like portal VR stories or skeet VR target shooting) and you're running windows 10, you need to go find the exe and enable windows 8 compatibility mode. It's a known engine bug.

This worked perfectly, thanks for taking the time to write it up!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I've found the teleportation to be pretty good after a few rounds of Robo Recall, it took a bit to get used to though. I wish H3VR had the same teleportation scheme, I'm still struggling to find a way to move around in that game that works well.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Tide posted:

I have run out of USB ports. What is the recommended USB card that plays nice with the Vive?

Inateck I believe

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Is Virtual Desktop worth paying $14 versus the free Bigscreen?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

iceaim posted:

Indeed. Unity is great for most 3D games, but it's not good for anything that needs performance. This is why Big Screen will never match Virtual Desktop. Another good virtual screen app written at a lower level is VR Toolbox. Supposedly VorpX trumps everything as a virtual screen if you can successfully inject it into the game's EXE since none of the other virtual screens use the injection method; they simply do a real time screen capture. Personally I've only used VorpX in VR mode rather than Virtual screen mode, and my experience with that has been quite good.

I'd love to try VorpX, but I don't really want to drop $40 on it when I don't even know that I'd like what it does.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I broke down and bought the Rock Band VR. It's actually pretty cool, and not as simplistic as the videos made it look.

Been a long time since I've played any GH/RB guitar though, my hand is cramping up already.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

My third sensor gets delivered this afternoon. Should help out quite a bit with H3VR I think.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Mine that I bought a few weeks ago is up and at the white warning screen in the second or two it takes to pull down over my face. Nowhere near 6-7 seconds.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Carsius posted:

I went with a USB card. Hopefully the USB and hdmi extenders won't slow the headset down.

I use usb extenders on all 3 cameras and usb and hdmi extenders on the headset and have had zero problems. I don't even use an extra card, they all plug into my mobo.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

That is also like... a really obnoxious song.

You shut your whore mouth.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

wolrah posted:

Not defending any of the rest, but I have a really hard time feeling sorry for anyone who decided to skimp so hard on shipping their $800 device that they didn't have tracking.

A decent company would have provided a pre-paid label for shipping an RMA. gently caress any company that wants you to ship a defective item back on your own dime.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

AndrewP posted:

Ah, it's still hosed up, nevermind.

fired up Google Earth VR for the first time in a while, forgot how incredible it is. Amazing thing to do: Go to your local MLB park and hang out on the field.

brb headed to Lambeau

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Are there AI teammates on the Bridge Crew game, or is it strictly multiplayer only?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

My top 3:

Elite Dangerous - never played this before VR but now it's all I want to do

Robo Recall - just super polished and fun, feels like the kind of game I'd be dropping stacks of quarters into back in the arcade heydays

SuperhotVR - it's just badass

Honorable mentions to First Contact and Google Earth, both never fail to amaze when I demo the Rift.

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 14:58 on May 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

As far as I know, it's always been 2.0. 3.0 isn't really needed for them.