Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
Yesterday I hosed up and forgot to move my Oculus Camera so that it could see the HMD. I was super confused as to why oculus home was so choppy and why it was ghosting everywhere... after realizing it it's super impressive that it was tracking so well with only an IMU and no correction.

Based on this I wonder how much better/worse the Rift would be in the cases where tracking was lost temporarily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004

SwissCM posted:

It's kinda in 3D. It's clever in that it's basically a realtime version of what they do for 2D-3D cinema conversions. There's the 2D image, then a depth map is created and a Stereoscopic image is generated from that. It's not perfect and can cause some odd artifacts but the depth map is technically very accurate, being rendered from the game engine itself.

Yeah upconverting from depth map to stereo should be fine besides some artifacts where objects occlude other objects or cast shadows on things farther away

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004

Sprocket posted:

So after being 100% sure I wanted an Oculus over a Vive I finally got sick of waiting for my Rift to appear and ordered a Vive on the 22nd of May. Had my shipping notice earlier today whilst my day 1, 1hr 9minute rift is still nowhere in sight. Goodbye Oculus preorder! The fact they have been supplying US retail stores with stock for the last few weeks whilst people who preordered within the first hour are still left with their dicks in their hands just really left a horrible taste in my mouth. I was toying with the idea of getting both since the Rift does sound like the better headset if you ignore touch but I really dont think they deserve my money anymore especially with all this DRM nonsense lately.

I so wanted to love the rift, even have a drat vr cover on the way for it. Wonder how many people have similar stories to mine? They must have lost so many sales over this launch fiasco.

I did not get invoiced for my Day 1, 40 minute Rift till 5/17 so yours would have been soon. I'll actually bet that most 1 hour preorders have gotten theirs by now.
I understand complaining about them going to retail before fulfilling preorders but that's how a lot of product launches go. Retailers have contracts and breaking contract is way more costly than delaying owners for a little... and since I'm still speculating, I'd bet that none of those retailers have gotten restocked since the initial wave of 1-2 per store.

Same poo poo happens all the time for product launches, hell.. even HTC isn't perfect. When I preordered my Nexus 9 at +1 minute, I still had to wait a loving extra month for HTC / Google to ship mine.

The Vive either didn't sell as much as they hoped to at launch so they had a surplus, or HTC is able to turnaround more headsets in higher quantities than whatever vendor Oculus chose to go with.

Either way, both headsets seem good at what they do, the Vive is clearly the winner in terms of having touch for the greater portion of 2016.
We'll see where we are in Q4 2016 when Oculus Touch comes out and whether or not a new HMD will launch in early 2017 that is way better... although Lighthouse / Constellation still seems locked down and may never go outside of HTC/Oculus.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
Rift Owners: Is the camera supposed to stay on when Oculus Home is running?
I've had issues with getting the camera to wake up after extended downtime and I just now had to restart the service for it to start working again.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004

Nalin posted:

The "Unlimited Detail" engine WAS Euclideon. They've just re-branded it for VR.

Every year this guy posts a new video and every year it looks the same as ever and not practical at all.
The only thing that this "engine" is good for is allowing for rapid streaming of point cloud data, so you get "infinite detail" because it loads a static image very fast. (it's totally raytracing + voxels)

Basically it'd be cool for viewing photogrametry or lidar or project tango data at like 10 frames per second with no real time lighting or animation.

Unless they can get this going at 90 FPS or like 45 FPS doubled this will be puke city in VR.

Edit:
Oh this video has "animated point cloud data" now. Still runs and looks like poo poo.

Edit 2: why would anyone think that HOLOVERSE would beat out virtual / mixed reality? This center wont even support 360 views.

w00tazn fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jun 3, 2016

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6NoWIdgKAw

This video he basically flies around his Lidar scan and explains that it's doing EXACTLY what i said it was doing. Raytracing for point cloud data.
Only took em two years to figure out a way to have moving point clouds represented.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004

Knifegrab posted:

Yeah but its still a good thing. People should be using OSVR and hopefully they will, just because no one uses it now does not mean its meaningless. I'd way prefer OSVR to become the defacto standard SDK. I believe its truly open as well as opposed to SteamVR which is hardware agnostic but still closed source.

From my understanding OSVR leverages both OVR (Oculus) and OpenVR (SteamVR) when running on Oculus/HTC hardware. I guess it provides its own api for accessing non Oculus/HTC hardware.
Supposedly for games that want to support it, it just lets you mix and match HMDs/Inputs and provides some sort standard interface for getting tracking data.

So in theory it sounds like it'd be the best of all worlds for developers to utilize, they'd just have to worry about how much overhead leveraging OVR/SteamVR would be for running on the two consumer grade kits out there.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
It's all how you configure chaperone.

People configure it so it touches a couch or goes over a couch and then they fall or bump into the couch... or they put it inches/a foot away from a TV and they punch the TV.
Can't you also set how sensitive the chaperone system is? I've heard the problem with setting it up for standing scale / the smallest configuration is that with arms extended you basically always hit chaperone bounds.

If I had a Vive and enough room I'd try to set up a big of a buffer as I could between my head touching the bounds and my arms extending to anything else.

Edit: in other news that I haven't seen posted yet...
All HTC Vives are shipping within 72 hours now and are supposed to be available at several retail locations now.
Oculus still hasn't fulfilled all preorders.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
HTC just launched the VIVE business edition, pay 1200 per and you get a support contract. Also no limits.

Looks exactly the same as the Consumer ver other than blue accents.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

I've been informed by top Vive scientists that this is impossible.

Taking bets on their Fallout VR game being a 3D Fallout Shelter.

They actually announced a DLC addon that is basically Fallout Shelter in the FO4 engine from a first person perspective.

I wouldn't consider Zenimax/Bethesda re-releasing a 1 year old game as a port to VR a "real deal AAA" game.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I'm interested and I've read the valve destinations guide + that one photogrammetry guide that valver posted.

One deterrence so far is the fact that all of the major software players in this space are rather expensive and have limited trials.
Also the fact that scene based photogrammetry doesn't have very many tutorials.

For those weird reflection issues, you should try and see if can fix those in a modeller and then suck that back in to AgiSoft for texturing.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
My oculus remote's back cover was almost impossible to slide off. Took me like an hour of effort just to get the battery tab out of it.

w00tazn fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jun 23, 2016

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004

Poetic Justice posted:

Oculus Home is having a summer sale that ends on July 5th. Steam summer sale is going on until July 4th.

yesssss

edit: Project Cars is $15 on Steam lol.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I've been waffling on darknet, it looked interesting from the GB stream.

Since there's more people here vouching for it i may just pull the trigger.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
For anyone interested the VR Cover guys officially launched their prescription lens website now and will start shipping new orders after they finish processing their Kickstarter orders.
https://vr-lens-lab.com/
I have some pretty bad eyesight and my glasses barely fit in my CV1 so I'm curious to see whether or not the 3rd party lens adapters would be a good investment.

Also in VR Cover news, they've reverse engineered the CV1 facial interface with help from Oculus and are launching a kickstarter to start production on two new interfaces that support their leather foam replacement... one of which supposedly has more room for eyeglasses.
https://vrcover.com/two-new-oculus-rift-facial-interfaces-with-replacement-foam-cushions/

Nothing about the eyeglass one appears to be better for eyewear other than adding more distance between the glasses and the stock lenses, but supposedly the plastic is more flexible to allow for easier insertion/extraction of big frames.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
As far as I'm aware, the 5000 developer touch units are probably already out and being shipped en masse.

One of the indie game developers I follow (Glass Bottom Games - Hot Tin Roof people) got 3! boxes of Touch controllers before their HMDs shipped.

Also all of the people who are already doing experiments and filming youtube videos using the touch controllers.
Don't we even have a goon or two in this thread that also have the touch controller dev kits?

One can extrapolate that the production timeline is basically ironed out and that they can move these more quickly than they could HMDs as they aren't dependent on any fancy manufacturing processes or external providers like screens/lenses/sound drivers

I suspect the vaugeness on the launch window is more to give their contracted developers more time to finalize their games and build up stock rather than some unexpected delay.
We all know how things went when they did a soft launch of the Rift (announce, take preorders, set a date) and then miss that date.
A hard launch where they announce and start shipping same day would be crazy... but it depends on whether or not they'd have enough stock on hand to actually do a hard launch.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
Can someone unbiased (not me) come up with a Venn diagram of how PSVR games will line up with Oculus vs Vive?

I thought I read somewhere that PSVR will require all games to support the DS4 controller + the limited FOV of the camera would put it firmly in line with Oculus and standing scale.

My thought is that the potential marketshare/adoption of PSVR/Oculus would force more developers from Indie - AAA to reconsider targeting room scale as room scale will limit their audience and potential sales.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004

Helter Skelter posted:

I don't think there's really anyone beating EVGA's lifetime warranty, so any of their non-FE models (like this one) would probably be a good choice. Assuming you can find one in stock, of course, as 1080 cards in general still seem to be in short supply.

EVGA stopped doing lifetime warranty's awhile ago. They still have one of the longest warranties you can get though.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
Bruce Dell is back with his fancy point cloud software rendering engine that noone has seen or used outside of his tiny studio.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2016/09/12/bruce_dell_euclideon_holoverse_interview
And there's a new 15 minute video that is pretentious as ever.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uYkbXlgUCw

It's interesting and probably "real" but until he actually legitimately licenses it / gives it away / publishes a whitepaper detailing what his magical 3D search algorithm is, that tech is just going to go to waste like betamax and minidisc.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
https://twitter.com/natemitchell/status/776104351966171136

Looks like Oculus is making their boundary system official.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
Feral Rights got a permanent discount and is currently also on sale on the store for $9.99.

That's more in line with how much it probably should've cost from the beginning and now I'm considering pulling the trigger on it.

Also everyone who bought it at $50 is getting these games for free:
AirMech Command
Damaged Core
Defense Grid VR
Chronos
Edge of Nowhere
The Climb

Wow.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004

Warbird posted:

It's a good piece. I think I said it here and not the Vive thread, but we're Pong era development for VR. The tech and techniques are rudimentary and evolving.

This is why i haven't started development yet and why if i was going to start VR dev.. I'd start with a "traditional" 2D game concept and see how to port / translate that over to VR.

Use that experience to solve the problems that plauge all devs, and then learn from that experience as a stepping stone into a truly immersive VR experience.
It's sort of why I ~get~ why Oculus is pushing for controller based games for now, so that once those problems are ~solved~ the collective can utilize that for solving the ~immersion~ problems

For example:
2D games to VR still need to solve how to handle stereoscopic vision, the frame timing, volumetric effects, etc.
VR games (room presence, tracked hands) add entirely new levels of complexity to the mix both technically and in design. (hand physics, event triggers, scalable play spaces, locomotion)

I'd personally want to leverage all the existing knowledge and build out something that could work in VR (and still sale to traditional 2D / console) folks before moving on to try and tackle building an interaction sandbox that is controlled/uncontrolled.

tldr: I'll let someone else be the pioneer. our findings will be mutually beneficial.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
What's the outlook on developers building more roomscale things versus "front-facing" things?
With PSVR launching next month and touch coming out around the same time. I feel like porting PSVR => Touch => VIVE and Touch => PSVR => VIVE would be easier than porting VIVE => PSVR/Touch.

I guess the biggest limitation would be the playstation move not having a thumbstick / thumbstick analog for porting to PSVR.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004

AndrewP posted:

Crap. How many developers are going to disable Touch support due to protest?

Christ, what an rear end in a top hat, I couldn't believe the stuff in that article.

Too late, they're all using steam vr so it'll work anyway.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I just feel like there's been a lot of overreaction to this.

He's just an idiot giving money to a dumb group.
Oh wait Max Temkin is also an idiot giving money to another dumb group.

It's not like Oculus / Facebook is shoving his views down your throat. There's plenty of other products that we use everyday that are ran/led by people with questionable political choices and noone makes a stink about that.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
Noone even knows if the reddit post are actually from him.

The only knowns out there are that he's dating a gamergater and posts libertarian things all over facebook.

I'm just bummed because SHC looks rad and would theoretically be super quick to port to Oculus... hope it comes to steam at with SteamVR at least so i can play it there.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004

d0s posted:

it would be like finding out the CEO of Subaru, a company that's done a lot of charitable stuff for gay organizations, was a rampant homophobe. it would show that all that outreach was nothing but marketing, it would be hypocritical and people don't like feeling pandered to by people who hate them

The actions of one person are hardly representative of a company as a whole. It's not like Facebook is directly using revenue from these Oculus sales to directly fund hate. In fact they're probably using funds to do the opposite.

Some people were even implying that you should be "ASHAMED" for having worked for this company, but "IT'S OKAY" and you don't have to quit because you have to feed your family.

I'm not sure why everyone thinks that companies and their employees have you in the best interests, but I'm pretty sure if you take a hard enough look, you'd uncover some shady poo poo or things not within the accepted worldview all over the place.

In other news, I'm dying for Oculus to release touch soon, I keep seeing these awesome things being made in TiltBrush and Medium and I want to get my hands on that to gently caress around with it.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004

Poetic Justice posted:

Show proof that Nimble America created hate speech. I'll save you some time: They didn't, and you can't. Palmer paid 10k to have a billboard put up that said "Too big to jail".

I'm actually curious to see what besides the billboard they actually put out and how much / how supreme/racist the memes actually were.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004

Lemming posted:

You're including a lot of irrelevant stuff in your post (potential effectiveness is irrelevant), but yes, Milo is an unrepentant racist bigot and he will continue to be so. You're willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and I'm not.

Milo is totally human garbage, but just to be fair to Palmer, I don't actually think Milo was involved with NimbleAmerica at all besides an endorsement... So i don't think he got any of his $10k like you think he did.

Palmer/Milo/NimbleAmerica apparently share the same views and run in the same circles so yeah w/e.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004

woodenchicken posted:

So, Pimax seems to have been out for a while, has there been any reaction to it?
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/09/27/4k-vr-headset/

Looks like the competition are starting to nip at Oculus and HTC's heels a little. I think it's pretty exciting, personally, as proof of concept. Better clarity, easier setup, at the fraction of the cost? The only drawback being that it's not, uh, usable for longer than 15 minutes and makes you wanna vomit.
But if they iron out the kinks this looks like it could be a great alternative for poors and those who don't care about motion controls, like driving and flight sim people. Why, within a year we might get some cheaper simpler alternatives to "premium" headsets that are actually usable and worth considering.

If you've read the review, Pimax basically cheaped out and was able to package a cheap 4K cellphone display into a headset with some IMUs.

One of the major reasons why Oculus and HTC's HMDs cost so much is the fact that sourcing hi density low persistence displays that run at a high framerate is expensive.

Sensors and a way to track them are additional cost on top of that.

Think of Pimax as a DK1, where Oculus and HTC are already 2-3 levels above that.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
So I originally stated that I felt that a bunch of developers were "overreacting" to the news that Palmer Luckey was human garbage.

I think this person states it better than I do and uses the term "misguided" which I feel better fits with how I felt after hearing about the news.
https://bullshit.ist/an-open-letter-to-oculus-founder-palmer-luckey-c3ac9486582d#.eznbsiewv

People should be using this opportunity to open up the conversation and enact change rather than resort to boycotts and donations to 'the other candidate'

It just rubs me the wrong way when a bunch of people just immediately switch sides and take up pitchforks after something new comes up that doesn't align with their views. Why praise someone for something and then immediately poo poo on them afterwards?

Should we be making GBS threads all over VR as a whole now? Should we abandon it because one guy turned out to be crazy and then used that crazy to make something magical?
Notch and Steve Jobs both turned out to be shitheads too but noone is boycotting Minecraft/Microsoft or boycotting the iPhone/Apple.

I'm just hoping we put this poo poo past us and that once Touch & Playstation VR come out, more developers and more people will start to come on board so that we have more content available for everyone.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004

Poetic Justice posted:

Anyone notice new min specs is 1 usb3 and 2 usb2??

Yeah it's always been like that.

The only thing that really needs USB3 is the camera.
Microsoft wants you to use usb3 for the xbox one dongle but it's not required.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
It does "360" with just two cameras.

I don't know how many games you guys are playing on Vive but most are 360 and NOT roomscale.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004

FormatAmerica posted:

I gotta get some PCI-E based USB 3.0 cards or something. I don't have enough ports for this poo poo.

I bought a mobo in 2011 and it had like 6 usb3 and 8 usb2 ports?

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
They should really put out detailed specs on what they consider "Room Scale" because like if 2 cameras in the corners works fine for small/medium rooms then the 3rd camera may only be necessary for the "large" room.

Not sure till more info comes out.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
Since Valve has still yet to implement proper async timewarp... how fast do you think they'll go trying to kludge together a working space warp?

Or are they still betting on their dynamic renderer to save the day.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
"Room scale"

I find it frustrating that every blog post seem to gloss over this slide.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004

FuzzySlippers posted:

They don't talk about it much but PSN does do refunds and I'm curious if they make that more explicit with vr.

As far as I'm aware PSN refunds don't exist. And I don't think refunds really exist on Xbox Live either.

Usually you end up having to do a charge-back on your CC if you want the money back, but welp here's a perma ban on your account instead.
Xbox Live actually just lets you go negative and will force you to pay out when you attempt to renew next year. (Like in the case where your CC expires and they attempt to renew)

w00tazn fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Oct 6, 2016

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I'm in the same boat as Poetic Justice because I keeping hearing different things being described as "Room Scale" with varying degrees of wankery being used to differentiate the Vive as being "Superior" as it does it out of the box with lighthouses and wands with less cords and usb ports required.

Like as far as I'm aware, Unseen diplomacy is probably the only use case that requires "Room Scale" and everything else I've seen has been more or less Standing/360 Scale.

How often are you going to run to the corner or edge of your play space and stand there doing stuff and then run to the other side to go do more things? Tilt Brush? Job Sim?
SPT and other "shooter" games all rely on you being mostly in the center of your playspace teleporting / spinning around.

People seem to really like coupling "hand presence" with "room scale" and they're two completely different things.
Until there's more compelling experiences that take advantage of actually walking around an area without the use of teleportation then roomscale is a luxury and not a necessity.

Besides the occlusion issues that may occur with the two front facing cameras, nothing indicates that Oculus wouldn't be able to do "Roomscale" with just two cameras. And even IF there was occlusion, I've found that the IMU's are so rock solid that you may not even notice that you've been occluded without the game notifying you.

If you want to test the IMU then just turn the camera around or cover it and try to use the Rift. You'd be surprised at how good it is and how well it tracks with no correction. Hopefully the same applies to the touch controllers.
I wonder if the same can be said for the Vive if one or more lighthouses are blocked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004

Tweak posted:

I'm honestly trying to think of a game that is advertised as roomscale that I still treated as just standing 360. Maybe Job Simulator, when you're stuck in an office cube? I guess Holopoint comes close, but I still move around the space they offer a lot. Yea most games offer a teleport so you don't have to move but even in Destinations I still walk around the area, why the hell wouldn't you? Like sure you reset to center in SPT after a round but if you aren't using the whole room to play what are you even doing.

Roomscale, the scale of the room, was that implied to ever be something besides moving around a room? I guess that's the joke and if so it's a weird one.

I totally understand this, but like I'd to hear more about comparing and contrasting the experience when you tell SteamVR (Hey set me to standing mode) versus (I'm using the small/medium play area) for the same games.

Edit: even with one camera on the DK2/CV1 you could more or less "move around a room" which is why this room scale debate is so weird and arbitrary.

Like if the definition was 15 ft x 15ft with no loss of tracking for 90% of the volume then sure. Go Vive or Get 3 Cameras and Extension cables for the Rift.
But it's not and it's not what most people would use in their homes so that distinction should be moot or something for only the most dedicated / niche.

w00tazn fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Oct 7, 2016