Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Another day week without a response from HTC about the Vive they said they shipped me

Ordered on April 8th, pretty frustrating watching people that ordered in vicinity of when HTC said they shipped mine get their Vives. At this point I've pretty much just given up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

Call customer support again and immediately ask to escalate to supervisor and ask them what's up. Do that every day till they tell you.

Also write some angry tweets @HTC, the bad public press sometimes gets them to wake up.

I'm completely out of patience for spending so much of my time trying to get them to do their job, I filed complaints with the Better Business Bureau and with the MA AGO's Consumer Advocacy and Response Division today and on Monday respectively, it will take a little time for those wheels to turn but they should resolve the problem (Looking at the Digital River's complaint history on the BBB there's a poo poo ton of people who were being ignored by customer service for various reasons until the filed a formal complaint with the BBB)

edit: I take that back, 5 minutes of my time is definitely worth publicly shaming HTC, regardless of it gets anything acomplished

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 00:21 on May 26, 2016

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

heh I'm getting old, one of my tweets got liked by some VR Blog but I can't even figure out where you'd even see them on @htc's page

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Well at least I finally got an answer from HTC about what's going on after I got impatient and called again. Apparently they have some sort of internal tracking system separate from the FedEx number which is reporting the order as delivered, so all this time they've been waiting on FedEx to confirm that they never picked up the package before they will ship out a replacement.

Customer service told me that FedEx is taking an unusually long time but should be responding by today at the latest, though I'm taking that with the worlds biggest grain of salt.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Sprocket posted:

So after being 100% sure I wanted an Oculus over a Vive I finally got sick of waiting for my Rift to appear and ordered a Vive on the 22nd of May. Had my shipping notice earlier today whilst my day 1, 1hr 9minute rift is still nowhere in sight. Goodbye Oculus preorder! The fact they have been supplying US retail stores with stock for the last few weeks whilst people who preordered within the first hour are still left with their dicks in their hands just really left a horrible taste in my mouth. I was toying with the idea of getting both since the Rift does sound like the better headset if you ignore touch but I really dont think they deserve my money anymore especially with all this DRM nonsense lately.

I so wanted to love the rift, even have a drat vr cover on the way for it. Wonder how many people have similar stories to mine? They must have lost so many sales over this launch fiasco.

On the other hand I ordered my Vive on the 8th still have no idea when they'll get around to shipping it.

edit: of april

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Good news guys, today's call to HTC's customer support has resulted in my ticket being escalated to the "we've ignored the customer for more than 10 business days" super-que, I've been assured that this means that now they will really work this out "as soon as possible".

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Ladies and gentleman we are now 48 hours away from it being 4 weeks of not getting any help regarding my order which they decided to flag in their system as complete without ever having shipped it, which at this point even they admit.... yet still don't correct. BBB complaint is stalled while Digital River tries to claim they bear no responsibility because it's an HTC product and HTC customer service which is a bold faced lie because when I call the digital river phone number instead of HTC's I talk to the exact. same. people. not to mention every single one of their order/shipping/billing documents carries the legal disclaimer "DR GlobalTech. is the authorized reseller and merchant of the products and services offered within this store."

At this point I feel like my only option is to sue them in small claims court to compel specific performance, but I just started closing on a house so I don't have time for this poo poo.

If there wasn't literally not a single equivalent product on the market I would have just done a chargeback ages ago, hell if it was only me I'd have done it because rift would fit my sim needs fine; but it would break my wife's heart because after trying my little brother's Vive she's super excited about roomscale to the point she was worried about where the VR would go when we were house hunting :smith: .

I'm just popping in to rant again cause I'm loving pissed, gently caress HTC and I hope someone else comes out with alternative roomscale product so these fucks can finish the death spiral they were entering before they made this deal with Valve.

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jun 7, 2016

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Lemming posted:

Why not just do a chargeback and have a friend order it for you or something?

Kind of tempted to do that I guess my main worry would be that the chargeback would cause them to actually get off their rear end and ship and and then have them try to make me pay for both.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Some rear end in a top hat must have nicked it during the delivery process. Going to small claims court is a waste of money, you should do as Lemming says and just chargeback and give someone else the money.

If they do that, then just send them the first one back or just resell it and maybe get a profit.

No one nicked it, the tracking shows it never leaving their warehouse, even HTC (really Digital River) admit that it never left their warehouse, the last two times I've called (both last week) I was told "we're aware it never shipped, it's unacceptable it's taken this long but we're working to get you a replacement as soon as possible, 24-48 hours at the latest"

And yes, those calls were 48 hours apart.

Small claims is loser pays in my state (including filing fees)

edit: right now I'm just sending angry tweets at them today in the lull while I'm waiting for paperwork to move on the house thing. Maybe I'll initiate a chargeback and wait for it to be successful to reorder. The other thing that sucks is I took the first summer semester off and it's pretty much my last summer vacation ever since my wife and I are trying to have a kid, would have been nice to have this to play with.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Looking through my PayPal record to start a chargeback I'm noticing a second $10 charge from digital river 3 weeks after my order was placed and 2 weeks before they "shipped" it, anyone have any idea what this was?

edit: it's labeled "DRI Greybox order"

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

ChickenArise posted:

That's pretty weird. This is the only VR-ish thing I found that sort of sounds like a thing http://cognitivevr.co/blog/graybox-building-vr-within-vr/

figured it out, it was Dreadnought, the developer is GreyBox and Digital River handled their digital distribution aparently

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Syves posted:

Is there even a wait anymore if you order a Vive right now? Maybe just call em and cancel your current order, and then just reorder. Keeps the chargeback off your, uh, permanent record (whatever, I don't know)?

Could have sworn I saw a news article flash by somewhere that Vive orders were being processed pretty much right away.

Why would I care if a legit chargeback was on my paypal record?

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Syves posted:

*shrug* no clue. Haven't done one. But if there is another course that might be easier without pissing off one of the parties needed in a transaction (either paypal or digital river, or HTC) why not?

Pissing off HTC and/or Digital River is a benefit not a downside, gently caress them.

edit: gently caress it, initiated chargeback

edit2: Haha I mentioned in passing that I had ordered a Vive while figuring out the greybox order the lady got all agitated and told me I had to talk to HTC about Vive problems. I have to wonder if it has anything to do with the fact Digital River tried to claim to the BBB that HTC handles all Vive-related customer service and I countered that telling them calling digital river's listed number gives you the exact same people who say the exact same things and share the exact same customer service ticket numbers.

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jun 7, 2016

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

ChickenArise posted:

I'm curious - does paypal suffer or benefit in any way from a chargeback? IMO they deserve a place on the pile of poo poo companies.

I think Paypal collects fees from the seller.

I agree with your assessment and look forward to paypal being a poo poo company at digital river.

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jun 7, 2016

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Lemming posted:

You'll also run out of stuff to do really fast. There's no harm in waiting right now, it's not like getting a new CoD ripoff or whatever and having the community die after a few months, there's not much to do and you can see it all in a few weeks, pretty much. If you have a friend with one, try theirs out.

Doesn't that really depend if you're a simmer though? I got lost for hours playing Elite when my brother lent me his DK2.

edit:

Cojawfee posted:

In a battle of Digital River vs Paypal, I'll vote for paypal. Paypal does something decent every once in a while.

Amusingly the thing I remember about PayPal being poo poo is screwing over sellers by providing no scrutiny on chargebacks

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Lemming posted:

If you're hardcore about sims or you're just a VR nerd in general then yeah, but those guys are already throwing hundreds or thousands of dollars down a money pit and nothing's going to stop them

I know :smith:

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Has there been any word or rumor or speculation whatsoever when the next gen of headsets might be coming out? Part of my plan with going Vive was it would make my wife happy by doing roomscale and then I could jump on the 2nd gen oculus for my sims cause I care way more about image quality.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

NRVNQSR posted:

Controller support seems to be incredibly inconsistent. The two that Oculus recommend (MOGA Pro and Steelseries Stratus XL) seem to work for most things, though even then the coverage doesn't seem to be 100%. I'd recommend one of those two if you can find them, or something under $5 otherwise - just so you're not too out of pocket when it barely works on anything.

For overheating, the one almost too obvious thing to mention is don't put the Gear VR cover on over the phone.

Nope, but it's also worth mentioning that there's no particular reason to believe Oculus will still be the winners on image quality in gen 2.

There may not be clear "generations" at all, of course. If StarVR comes out in early 2017, say, is that Gen 2 or Gen 1.5? Is FOVE Gen 2?

Fair enough but to be honest my reason was more that oculus's tracking tech would work better for shoving into a sim cockpit which I have some designs on trying to make eventually with lumber and grabbing a car seat off ebay, the image quality part was just gen 2 versus gen 1. I had forgotten about StarVR though.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Haha @HTCHelp DMed me asking for all my contact information, I'm assuming in response to me tweeting redacted tracking info showing that 4 weeks old shipment that never left their warehouse and bitching about it still not being replaced.

Anyone want to take bets on whether they're going to call and tell me "24-48 hours"?

Not withdrawing my paypal dispute unless I see a tracking number that's actually moving.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

w00tazn posted:

It's all how you configure chaperone.

People configure it so it touches a couch or goes over a couch and then they fall or bump into the couch... or they put it inches/a foot away from a TV and they punch the TV.
Can't you also set how sensitive the chaperone system is? I've heard the problem with setting it up for standing scale / the smallest configuration is that with arms extended you basically always hit chaperone bounds.

If I had a Vive and enough room I'd try to set up a big of a buffer as I could between my head touching the bounds and my arms extending to anything else.

Edit: in other news that I haven't seen posted yet...
All HTC Vives are shipping within 72 hours now and are supposed to be available at several retail locations now.
Oculus still hasn't fulfilled all preorders.

Not all of them :colbert:

edit: okay, trolling HTC's twitter while I'm sitting around waiting for house closing poo poo to happen is my new favorite hobby

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jun 8, 2016

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

I swear to god if I stumble across one more news article about how Vives are shipping in 72 hours I'm recreating a modern GWOT version of Rambo: First Blood

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

So some fun updates on this the 6th week of HTC shipment drama:

Yesterday I finally got the charge-back successfully processed against Digital River and reordered. That was a bit of a bittersweet victory because today I got a call from my local AGO's consumer advocacy office who finally got back to me and was outraged and wanted to help us by threatening HTC. Instead they are helping us by putting a note on file that they're naughty and by putting them on official notice that if they try to collect on the back-charged payment the AGO's office will take an interest in loving them up.

Hopefully if this 72-hour poo poo is true I'll actually have a Vive by week's end.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Ahahaha after six loving weeks almost of trying to get those fuckers to actually ship it only took 48 hours to get me a replacement order... ladies and gentleman: it's here :aaa:

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

I have to say Vive was the right choice, I originally got into VR with sims in mind and I keep wanting play around with them, but I can't loving stop playing audioshield and hordeZ.

Still.... gently caress HTC's customer service... why must you make things that are so awesome but make me hate you with your lovely customer service HTC?

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Oh for the love of god, ~10 hours of gameplay in my Vive is dead; flickered and went black steps away from me dominating the poo poo out of some HordeZ leader-board.

Couple hours of troubleshooting later it looks like the "watchman board" is completely dead, showing up grayed out in USB....

....and back to HTC customer service we go :suicide:

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Zero VGS posted:

So the Steam sale is up... what are the absolutely must-have titles?

So far the most interesting one to me seems to be Tabletop Simulator, as it's one purchase that can be used for hundreds of games.

HordeZ is pretty amazing if you like rail shooters, It's like House of the Dead kicked up to 11 12

edit: seriously, right before my Vive died I had this awesome Equilibrium-style gun-fu moment where I was surrounded by the big tanky ogre-archetype guys and I was just twisting back and forth in a circle with twin pistols keeping them stun locked by shooting them in the face before they could swing, like no-look over the shoulder, crossing arms craziness.... it was loving amazing.

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jun 24, 2016

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

I was reading something a while back that said motion sickness from artificial locomotion is greatly reduced by lowering peripheral vision. I was thinking about this last night after playing some Battledome and wondering if a gears of war style cover shooter where it vignettes the hell out of you when you charge to new cover (instead of teleporting) would work.

ps: For those following my Vive saga, replacement came yesterday and we're back to Viving.

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jul 10, 2016

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

To be fair if a plane is within 20 nanometers you're probably already hosed

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

I'm really curious what the actual engineering problem with wireless is and how they've tried to solve it. I'd assume the latency is introduced by the digital processing delay of signal modulation and networking overhead. You'd think with a single trusted device and a short, clear propagation path there a lot of interesting things you could do to "cheat" and get dproc down.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Bremen posted:

The main problem is actually bandwidth, which leads into latency. Wireless connections aren't nearly fast enough to carry the 2160x1200 90 fps video used by modern VR headsets, which means they have to be compressed, which introduces unacceptably high latency. The actual signal processing is much less of a problem, though with VR lower latency is always better.

The one functional wireless VR solution we've seen so far gets around this by using a 60 GHz extreme high frequency wireless, which has much higher bandwidth at the cost of being blocked by... pretty much any solid object, really, making it a purely LoS based, short range signal. And if you think occlusion making your headset drift a bit is annoying, that's going to be nothing compared to any hiccup instantly dropping the video feed. Also even the 60GHz signal isn't enough for uncompressed video; the Vive upgrade still requires some light video compression, which is probably where most of the latency comes from, but at least requires a lot less than a conventional wireless connection would.

I think it's still doable. After all, the very definition of an HMD means you're wearing it on your head, and if you put the wireless broadcaster up high (which the Vive already does for the lighthouses) it's unlikely to be obstructed by anything. Though even then, I expect anything that requires you to hold your arms in the air could potentially cause problems, though apparently a team at MIT is working on a device to "reflect" the extreme high frequency signal from various angles that sounds tailor made to be added to a Lighthouse unit.

Overall, I have high hopes for the first wireless prototype but am still waiting on early reviews before I order one.

If the real demon is bandwidth why not go all the way to far infrared? You've already got the headset completely covered in ir sensors and the lighthouses transmitting on that frequency. With an unobstructed Los bandwidth shouldn't be an unsolvable issue, just up the frequency.

Obviously it's not that simple or it would be done, I'm just a budding rf engineer so it interests me.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Helter Skelter posted:

Lighthouses use near IR. Far IR has its own drawbacks. 60GHz has a short range and can be blocked if you put your hand in the wrong spot. Far IR can be blocked by the water in the air.

I was thinking of transmitting through the lighthouse ir itself or through a unit attached to the lighthouses to solve the occlusion problem, the headset is already covered in sensors.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

JoeMB posted:

The great thing about the lighthouses is they don't have to be plugged into the computer.

Well yeah but I'd trade plugging in the lighthouses with plugging in the HMD in an instant

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Shemp the Stooge posted:

After playing for a few hours with the deluxe audio strap I recommend it fully. I was worried about putting more money into a system that I am going to replace at some point but I think it's worth it. The ease of taking the vive on and off now has actually resulted in me using much more. I kind of hated putting it on before. This is especially true if you wear glasses.

Really wish they'd offer it without the headphones. No built in headphones was a selling point for me on the Vive because I like using my nice sennheiser cans (and I really don't find it annoying to take on/off once I got a system down).

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

PenisMonkey posted:

Yeah I went ahead and spent the 30 seconds removing the Rift heaphones.

The rift headphones aren't lovely, it was the paying for something I was gonna remove was the issue (this is back when the prices were more competitive)

Edit: see why I wish they would do just the strap for $50

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Dec 31, 2017

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

I thought FAA airspace starts 100' up?

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

I use 1Kg wrist weights without issue while playing all the time, Gorn and Sound Boxing are both pretty good workouts... and I completely hosed up shoulders (including a lap tear). If my broken, half-disabled rear end is able to strap 2.5lbs on I'm pretty sure you'll be okay.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

AgentF posted:

The answer to this is you lift your thumb off the trackpad. Instantly done.

I reckon a few of the problems people are reporting are because they are trying to use a trackpad to emulate a joystick. Thinking about a trackpad in joystick terms will of course make them seem deficient.

Trackpads are categorically worse for precise and rapid movement because of the lack of physical feedback. There's a reason we use joysticks and not trackpads to control things like fighter jets and million dollar robots.

You're that guy from the mid 90s insisting that trackballs are really so much better guys you just need to get used to it.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Lack of physical feedback. Sure. That's why joysticks in modern jets don't move.

Pressure is a form of physical feedback, modern jets use pressure sensors instead of magnetic movement sensors

edit: pressure sticks are even further away from trackpads then joysticks are, moving something against resistance gives you waaaay more precision, pressure sticks are literally "what if we made the resistance infinite?", trackpads are "what if we made the resistance zero?"

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jun 25, 2018

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

The complaint is there's no physical feedback. There is - haptic.

Which offers no resistance and doesn't really impart any information to the user.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

bobfather posted:

I take it nobody has tried Overload on Steam? For us old bastards, it’s Descent, made by some of the ex Parallax devs, and it’s fully functional in VR with a gamepad or mouse.

I need this