Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is there anywhere that Demos the Vive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

looked into it a little further but I see nothing near Colorado/Denver. I'd really like to try one but they don't seem to be making easy.

I still need to try Rift too, but there are demos of it literally everywhere I just haven't had the time when I've been around one.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wintermutant posted:

For better or for worse, Bridge Crew has become the official system seller among my group of friends. Two now have Rifts on order with a third planning on PSVR.

It's pretty rad that Ubisoft keeps doing this cross platform thing. Werewolves is the only PSVR multiplayer game I can actually find games in. Well, that and Farpoint but that game is brand new still. Bridge crew should actually have some longevity because of it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I had a lot of problems with it. Go into it expecting a really really arcadey shooter with a mildly annoying protagonist. No point to using the Aim controller since the weapons are handguns.

They claim to have re-jiggered it for the aim controller. Not sure what that entails other than not duel weilding, but the aim is insanely good compared to the move controllers for tracking.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Can't wait for them to start enforcing that bar of quality.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The pikes peak hill climb in dirt Rally VR is antifun incarnate. loving hate this championship so much.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Kingtheninja posted:

Has there been any sale for psvr announced? Was thinking about getting it but figured I'd wait til after e3.

No sales, but there are periodically really solid bundles that pop up and they get posted in the PSVR thread. Recently there was PSVR/Aim/Farpoint/RE7 for the normal price of the headset.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Doom has VR support now?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That's dope. people can say what they will about Doom 3 but that would be amazing in VR. Thought you meant 2015 though.

The mods are the big thing killing me about PSVR right now. I'm very happy with it as a whole, but being at publishers whims feels so limited because so few of them seem to give two shits about VR right now.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

On Terra Firma posted:

I played from the beginning and it just felt like the first 30 minutes were just walking around looking at the same things over and over, and when you meet the family the creepiness just felt a little too on-the-nose and campy. The controls were also very jarring in how you had to turn the POV in sharp 30 degree increments.

The first 30 minutes aren't representative of the game as a whole as it turns into more of a game after that. Like people said you can turn off click turning in favor of smooth movement but it might make you sick.

RE7 is one of the best things available for VR right now.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bremen posted:

If you're expecting mature tech and games, probably not there yet. If you want to play around with VR it's definitely quirky fun, though.

Everyone's expecting news on Fallout 4 VR to come out tonight or tomorrow, so I'd probably wait for impressions on that if nothing else.

Yeah if you want mature tech wait 5 years on getting VR. It's a long ways from perfect. The reason to get a headset right now is to gently caress around with something really novel and fun.

Like, VR is amazing right now but this won't be the definitive generation for it. I feel like it's 1994 in the early days of 3D gaming where everything is super flawed but intriguing and everyone is trying new things to see what sticks.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So is it Vive only due to exclusivity? There's some stupid part of me still hoping for PSVR but it seems insanely unlikely the hardware could even pull it off. That doesn't explain lack of oculus support though.

Fallout 4 with the aim controller would be amazing.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Well yeah, I was imagining a seriously toned down version in the unlikely event it hit PS4.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Maybe we don't get Fallout but I'll take Skyrim VR :toot: Game is played out as gently caress but I will play the gently caress out of it in VR.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

TheRagamuffin posted:

Have they said Skyrim is going to be a PSVR exclusive, or was that just where they decided to announce it?

They haven't said. Which probably means it isn't exclusive.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

homeless snail posted:

Nah I'm not that cynical, I think people just haven't tried it and can't imagine it, and are just skeptical that its the new tech moneygrab like a nextgen 3DTV.

Yeah. VRs biggest hurdle is that the games look like poo poo unless you are actually wearing a headset. Then on top of that it's pricey and people like to feel validated that they haven't bought one.

I think it's dumb that so many people like to poo poo on something they haven't even tried though. I think anyone who has even tried it for a notable amount of time knows it isn't just a fad unless the inaccessibility kills it before it can take off, in which case it will just be the next generation of headsets that takes off.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I honestly think Bethesda going all in (as much as Bethesda goes all in that is i.e. re-releasing stuff) on VR is probably one of the best things that could happen for the platform right now. Skyrim and Fallout are the types of games that VR needs to get people interested. As fun as some of these little shooters we get and even the occasional AAA game like RE7, I just don't think they are what is going to be the thing that sells VR to the average gamer. People are loving rabid about Bethesda games and that's good for all of us.

Plus I don't think many of us could say with a straight face that we aren't a little excited for this.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

KodiakRS posted:

I think these massive open world games are going to be great for VR. The vast majority of VR games so far have been developed by small studios that just don't have the manpower to produce a game world with anywhere close to this level of asset quality/density/quantity. We finally have fully fleshed out interactive worlds to immerse ourselves in that aren't half finished tech demos.

Exactly. There are way more good games for VR than it gets credit for, but unfortunately most of them can be exhausted in an afternoon (and are over priced as hell) we really need some games that feel substantial, and developers that have the means to do that aren't willing to put the money into making games like that exclusive to VR. So, ports are really good for VR right now.

Lemming posted:

Ehhhhhhh a little yeah, but mostly I'm tempering my expectations because it's not going to be fundamentally different and while I had fun with Fallout 4 it was just fine

I've never played Skyrim but I also just played Breath of the Wild so the VR is going to have to be real, real good

I dunno. To me at least VR is different enough that it refreshes the appeal. I like Bethesda games though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Could you explain what is going on there to someone who is a total newb?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So, as someone who has never seen it before am I right in assuming that is a photo of a cabin that has been converted into a 3D model?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

How long did that all take? Really neat btw. I wish I could check it out, but I'm stuck with Sony's whims atm .

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I wonder if photogrammetry has a future in game development at some point? Seems like it could have lots of interesting applications.

How does the 3D effect fare once it's all done?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Interesting. I didn't know that. Ethan Carter would be dope in Vr.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So can you incorporate dynamic lighting into this stuff or is it always going to be static? I'm guessing there isn't one simple answer to this though lol.Also, are things reduced to different 3D objects or is it essentially one big 3D sculpture? Sorry for all the questions I just think it's super cool. I'd totally get into it if I had the money for the hardware/software.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jun 20, 2017

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

FWIW I've been really happy with PSVR. It's a good piece of hardware with pretty decent software support so far.

The main drawbacks are that you are locked out of user created stuff/mods or whatever and while the move controllers are serviceable but they are a long way from what I would call good.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tom Guycot posted:

Its really impressive what they managed to squeeze out of the PS4, but, man I don't know why they didn't create a new controller/camera system. I mean I guess they wanted to get it as cheap as possible and move old stock but, the lack of any thumbstick/trackpad alone really hampers a lot of potential cross compatibility with PC

The Aim controller solves a lot of that, but is unfortunately permanently stuck in assault rifle mode. The tracking on it is actually phenomenal and it has 2 sticks.

I really hope they use the tech in the Aim controller to update the move controllers with thumb sticks. I really don't understand why they didn't just do that in the first place because it's pretty crippling for PSVR not to have a good combination of controller and motion controls.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Good to see Darth Maul is still getting work.

That game looks sweet though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Even in the PSVR thread people were predicting that PSVR 2 would get announced at E3 this year. Like :wtf: is everyone smoking that they want this brand new tech to be updated already or assume it's happening soon?

Gen 2 VR will be amazing but I can't imagine seeing it available to buy before 2019 personally. Why would anyone want a small update on what we currently have available.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah but that's new peripherals. I'd like to see those too and I'm sure they are likely , but that's not the same as scrapping a 9 month old headset for no reason.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

Carmack gave a speech at Quakecon about how joysticks require your brain to effectively do calculus (you have to push the stick all the way, then adjust the amount of stick over time as the crosshair gets where you want) compared to a mouse movement which is a direct linear calculation (you only have to adjust for the sensitivity factor, but there's a single movement you can make that will take you from where you are to having the crosshair on the target). Similarly, being able to use your arm muscles is just that much more intuitive and faster. Instead of having to do the linear calculation to adjust for sensitivity, you just move your hands to the position where they face the target. There's no adjustment at all, its 100% natural intuitive body movement.

We were discussing the context of control schemes for VR games. But yeah, it is easier to point and shoot a gun IRL than it is to manipulate an xbox controller to shoot. Things like auto-aim in the programming kinda hide this and make it a weird comparison, I guess.

I feel like this will be interesting in the event that VR players get pinned against non VR players in a MP shooter somewhere along the line. Kind of like people using K&M on consoles.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

SwissCM posted:

They'd only really need to buy a wireless mouse. The keyboard really isn't needed, though current controllers aren't particularly ergonomic when holding them with one hand.

They really need to bite the bullet and implement native mouse support on consoles, perhaps create a one-handed controller to go along with it. There's already stuff out there as you mentioned, it'd just need to be changed so it works natively. Might as well throw in actual keyboard support while they're at it, though I think, technically, both the XBone and PS4 support keyboards already though for text input. You could still segregate mouse and controller users online but at least there's the option for console players to compete on a level playing field and lets face it, FPS games will always control better using mice and mouse-like inputs over sticks.

Nah. It's completely unfair to expect people to use a non native control method to play competitively. It's exactly why consoles don't support K&M to begin with. The only way to keep a level playing field is to segregate the two.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

SwissCM posted:

I just don't see the point in segregating the two anymore, particularly with crossplay on XBOX it ends up limiting the online userbase for both platforms. Segregating online players by control input just makes more sense to me.

How would that limit an online userbase less? If anything that seems like a really roundabout way of accomplishing the same thing.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

SwissCM posted:

Also, mice are better for FPS games. It's indisputable and it's a major factor of why people go with PCs for that kind of gaming in the first place. Allowing mice in the right circumstances could be a selling point simply by virtue of being a better control method.

Mice are more accurate. Better is totally subjective.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

As a couch gamer and lifelong console player I find controllers infinitely better than a mouse and keyboard for playing games, even FPS, but I also recognize how much more accurate a mouse is and understand why people prefer it. They just need to stay the hell of of consoles and stop pretending like they aren'y blatantly cheating when they buy a $150 dollar dongle to bypass it and ruin the balance in console games.

The thing that sucks about VR is it kind of needs that cross play. VR needs something to help it thrive, but at the same time you could never balance that with someone using a M&K or controller.

I'd love to see a Battlefield style game where the troops or other roles are played in 2D, while planes and tanks or whatever are operated by VR players. Imo that would be rad.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The spiderman VR experience is so hilariously lame I feel gyped and it was free.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Have you gotten Farpoint yet Mellow? I want to hear your take on it. It just seems like you'd be so into it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Zsinjeh posted:

I found this setup which I'll try and incorporate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxJBouVRDrI

Got a few places nearby I believe could hold the leash.

Fishing for dorks.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ugh. Yeah it really sucks that Sony hasn't said a drat thing about when they are going to make more of them. Well, when you snag one, co-op is fun as hell and lord knows I don't have much else to do with my aim controller atm.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

homeless snail posted:

I disagree, VR games don't have to necessarily be first person. Being an omnipotent observer works fantastically with Lucky's Tale storybook conceit and it still draws you into his world far more than if you were just playing Mario with 3D glasses or something.

My only problem with it is that its just not a very good platformer outside of the novelty of being a cute VR game. Luckily you can just load up Dolphin and play Mario in VR though.

Totally. 3rd person VR is great. It creates a really cool sense of playing with living toys.

The problem is the almost complete lack of good 3rd person VR games, not the perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Someone said this in the PSVR thread a while back and I can't find the post. A VR survival horror game where you are in wheelchair and using motion controllers to wheel yourself around with a shotgun in your lap that you can grab would be seriously great. someone needs to get on it.