Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

I haven't really used either since I first got them. I do use Virtual Desktop with Assetto Corsa though. I can use Virtual Desktop to access the menus and get everything set up and when I hit the drive button, it automatically switches to Assetto Corsa on the rift.

Oh man, I'm dumb, I didn't even think of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

Yeah, as much as people would like to fit the whole Valve/Oculus rivalry into a good vs evil situation, the reality is much more complex (as realities tend to be). It's absolutely true that the Vive would not exist had Oculus not gotten the ball rolling 4 years ago. But the Rift wouldn't be what it is without Valve's early VR research. Honestly, I'm tempted to view the whole thing as a wash. :shobon: Steam is a near-monopoly, too, and the fact that it's a monopoly that has mostly benefited gamers is the reason Valve tends to get a pass. But then, arbitrarily restricting content from headsets that could easily run it like Oculus Home is doing is anathema to the philosophy that the PC arena has operated under since time immemorial. It's a sticky situation.

For my part, I keep seesawing back and forth re: which one to buy. Vive has the more complete experience right now, that's a fact. I would hope that Oculus is watching how popular room-scale experiences are turning out to be and planning accordingly, but there's no way to know that for sure. In the meantime, the Rift is much more comfortable, and its screen is sharper and brighter.

This is the first time I've entertained being an early adopter, so I'm not used to this conundrum. I feel like there's a 50/50 chance I'm going to end up with the VR equivalent of HD-DVD. :v:

Like others have said, it's best to wait until at least Touch comes out to make choice. Also, I've seen a couple people say that, but the Vive actually has the brighter screen, although how important that is is debatable. Since the screens aren't competing with background lighting, your eyes adapt to whatever brightness the headsets are at pretty quickly, although some people do prefer the brighter Vive screen.

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 00:09 on May 27, 2016

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

I'm just going by what I observed with the demo unit I tried, relative to my memories of the Rift 4 days earlier. The Rift did seem sharper and brighter than the Vive, which I observed by how immersed I felt in the non-interactive demo scenes on each headset. Though I might have a more favorable view of the Vive's optics if they'd had a cutout town too (seriously, that was so loving :krad:. VR board games are coming!).

Weird! Well, like I said the brightness I don't think is a massive difference unless you do an immediate side-by-side comparison. I am really excited for VR board games to come out too, I think they will be badass in VR. There is something about little miniature things that tickle my brain in VR.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
-doublepost

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Lemming posted:

Chronos spoiler

There's a part where you get tiny and are running along a bookshelf and you fight tiny wind-up soldier enemies and it's really great.

Haha, yeah I loved that part and it was certainly unexpected. I think I'm finally getting towards the end of the game, and suprisingly I do see myself restarting and playing it on a harder difficulty before long.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
There have been rumours of a new Xbox coming out that can run the Rift, and today Arstechnica is confirming that at least one major developer is currently planning to release a new virtual reality game on the Xbox One in 2017 and plans to show that game at E3.

posted:

The game is also being planned for release on the PC and PS4
Ars isn't at liberty to discuss the name of the game or the specific developer, but we can say that a well-known European studio is planning "a new VR game" set in the universe of an established, long-running franchise

Assassin's Creed? Please be Assassin's Creed.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

VR isn't remotely ready to tackle Assassin's Creed. Its like the exact hardest possible game to translate to VR, unless you just ditch the entire game and start from scratch.

You have all the locomotion problems of an FPS like Half-Life but with the added :barf: of freerunning and falling and climbing and stuff.

I guess you could just play it all in third person but then that's barely even VR, just sitting there with a controller just watching it in 3D.

Ah yeah, I should clarify, I just think it would be cool to wander around the AC worlds that have been built and like, have a voice over talk about the historical buildings and things like that. More of a historical tour game, if anything. Yeah, a legit AC would definitely get a lot of people real sick haha. Although I disagree with you on 3rd person VR games. Chronos, Luckeys Tale, the Mythos of the World Axis demo and Blazerush are all 3rd person games that are really cool in VR.

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 21:03 on May 27, 2016

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

Ah yeah I'd love poo poo like that. I heard that some class on history was actually using AC Brotherhood for lectures because its one of the more realistic and complete renderings of Rome available.

That's really cool, and since they already have those assets done, it seems like a no brainer to me!

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

EdEddnEddy posted:

Could it just be a port of that Ubisoft Flying one where you're a Bird? That would be easy enough to port over to the Xbox if the videos were any example of the graphics detail it delivered (hell they could even push that to Mobile almost. Microsoft's DX12/Vulkan ported to Windows Mobile? lol)

Oh man, I didn't even think about it maybe being that game. Stop crushing my hopes and dreams :argh:

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
For Rift users, it's from reddit and seems like it works and can make a decent difference in the render resolution.
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4k80g4/increase_the_render_resolution_of_the_rift/

posted:

1 Download SDK 1.3.2 or 1.4 (same)
2 Launch ​OculusDebugTool ( \OculusSDK\Tools\ of SDK) and in ' Pixels Per Display Pixel Overide' choose 2 instead of 0 (or 1.2, 1.4... depend of the game and your graphic card) 'Enter'.
3 Leave OculusDebugTool open and launch your game/app

4 ENJOY !

If you use oculusdebugtool before launch oculus home, you will have lag and lose tracking, it's normal. Close OculusDebugTool, re-open it and choose the pixel overide again.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

LegoPirateNinja posted:

Where can I go to demo these products?

Select Best Buys are doing Rift demos
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/clp/oculus-rift-vr/pcmcat748302045866.c?id=pcmcat748302045866

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Adr1ft is 50% off on Steam (http://store.steampowered.com/app/300060/) and apparently they provide Oculus Home keys if you email support.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Yeah I had been holding off on that game a lot of people said it made them sick. I love space though, and I've spent $10 on worse.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
So that Pool Nation VR game comes out tomorrow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAo2FoifcSE

Looks like it should be pretty fun.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
With E3 getting closer, I'm hoping for some more news/release date of Touch. Someone released a video showing the finger "tracking" the other day and it looks amazing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPzcTrguPkg

Dudes a spaz and video is long so here is a quick webm summary.
https://gfycat.com/MeaslyAptIguanodon

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

The Walrus posted:

Here's hoping my steam friends list isn't putting two and two together when they see me playing virtual desktop then something else five minutes later.

Heh. Finally, something Oculus Home is good for!

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
I dunno, I was in AltSpaceVR and the Rift owners were articulate cool attractive men and women and the Vive owners communicated by peeing and pooping on the floor and drawing in it.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
I would think early adopters are more likely compared to your average person to either already have the space, or clear out the space for the larger sized roomscale area, and even in that case ~20% are only using standing scale. Hmmm.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

GlyphGryph posted:

Well, uh

I mean I would hope the majority of people buying a product had the recommended minimums.

Haha, well yeah. I just thought more early adopters would have had more space.

Holy poo poo!

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Knifegrab posted:

20% is actually pretty small. Being an early adopter doesn't mean you just have lots of open space in your house. 20% is actually pretty drat impressive its that low, shows that most people really value roomscale over standing. I mean I have a pretty huge apartment and even I barely meet roomscale. I'm sure as time goes on and the tech becomes more ubiquitous people will start making the room for roomscale vr, like converting offices or something.

That's sort of what I'm saying though. The fact that the hardcore early adopters aren't already making room for the larger spaces doesn't give me a lot of hope that your average consumer will either.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Roshnak posted:

80% of them are making space. What kind of numbers would give you hope?

Oh my god, I'm retarded. My excuse is I just got back from being in the sun all day.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Paul MaudDib posted:

What used to be here? Showing as 404'd for me.

A guy crashing through a sliding glass door/window while playing Vive.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Paul MaudDib posted:

They want to sell CV1 units to users forced into upgrades? Same reason they'd block Vive users - all that stuff about Oculus being perfectly happy to just sell software is clearly in the past.

Particularly since they can say "well we said the DK2 was only supported as a developer platform, just get your boss to pay for it! Oh wait, you weren't trying to run the DK2 as a consumer, were you?". Palmer's last posts on Reddit were making noise about how if you're a consumer with a DK2 you can get hosed. That is, before Oculus finally told him to shut his goddamn piehole.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4fi8cd/oculus_your_website_is_garbage/d29bpxt

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4fi8cd/oculus_your_website_is_garbage/d29avb0

I would hope they don't base any design or functionality worrying about DK2 compatibility, personally.

edit: They said countless times to people "Don't buy the Developer Kits unless you are a developer. Wait until the consumer version comes out." They were cool enough to not be strict about requiring people to prove they were devs and sold them to anyone who really wanted one, but you really can't fault them for not caring too much and instead focusing on the consumer release now.

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jun 6, 2016

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

SwissCM posted:

They work so similarly that if they do break compatibility it could only be a deliberate decision.

Right, but I mean, you can't really expect them to provide official support for the dk's forever either. Is there a difference in HDCP between the DK's and the CV1? If so I could see Oculus intentionally breaking DK support in order to appease movie studios in order to have Netflix or sell/stream movies.

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jun 6, 2016

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

SwissCM posted:

Of course not, they're a lovely company with no respect for it's users.

Compared to the Vive, Oculus uses less electricity so one could say they care more about all the people on this planet vis a vis GLOBAL WARMING.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
You guys know that white noise/snow you get on old school televisions when turned to a channel that you don't get? How cool would it be to have a VR experience of that, where that is all you see and hear. As a musician, I know I hear music in my head when all I can here is white noise, I wonder if visual artists see things in it as well. I know this sounds weird but whatever.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Knifegrab posted:

Do you think they'll even do a Gen2 then?

But more to the point, what is Oculus's goal here. By barring out other HMD headsets they lose sales. So that hurts them where are they planning to recoup that cost? Is the end goal to encourage the market to buy Oculus HMD's where they will add tons of markup (I guess the apple model)? Or is the goal to just force every other HMD out of the market so then they are the de-facto VR distribution platform?

People should complain to HTC for working exclusively with Valve. Oculus has said they are more than willing to work with headset manufacturers to implement their SDK. Unless part of the deal with Valve was they would be the sole provider of the software, which again isn't really in Oculus's hands.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Speaking of iRacing, here is a link for new accounts where you get 3 months for $5. http://www.iracing.com/imsa/

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Jarmak posted:

Kind of tempted to do that I guess my main worry would be that the chargeback would cause them to actually get off their rear end and ship and and then have them try to make me pay for both.

I personally would initiate a chargeback. It will light a fire under their asses to get it figured out, for better or worse.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

I can make the room but I'm not 100% sure I'd want to do that on a regular basis (I'd have to move my couch and insanely heavy coffee table and probably a rug for safety)

I guess I'd have to try it to see if I'd like roomscale stuff, but I'm not sure there's anywhere I can demo that??

Certain Microsoft stores are doing Vive demo's I believe.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
If you aren't like totally dying for VR right this instant, I would at least wait until Oculus releases Touch later this year and then you can do a more informed and fair comparison between the Rift and Vive.

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jun 8, 2016

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I disagree, even with Touch this first Rift is going to stay behind the Vive for roomscale, and right now all the best VR games are either cockpit or roomscale. You can make an informed decision on this based on whether or not you have space for roomscale, or would rather just play cockpit games. I'd much rather use a Rift for things like War Thunder and for driving games, but Budget Cuts, Vanishing Realms and Space Pirate Trainer are glimpses into what great VR will become.

Brother . . .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEhOivWqGmA

that's with two crappy usb1 extension cables.

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jun 8, 2016

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Mordaedil posted:

How much are you getting paid to post?

I think you might be insane. . .

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Mordaedil posted:

It's a jest.

But you are just being extremely and oddly defensive about the Oculus Rift to the point where it looks almost like you are shilling for their product against any type of criticism. Like really, even not acknowledging the products current shortcomings.

Really, which is more insane in that context?

Actually, no I'm not, that's why I think you are insane.

Edit: The Rift is a better headset.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Incredulous Dylan posted:

Woo - I feel like I've come full circle here. I was the OP of the original VR megathread from 5 years ago and now I'll have the Vive hitting my door by the middle of next week. Here's hoping it doesn't suck rear end, haha. I have an open living room in my condo that is perfect for this kind of thing - big open space and a big ol' TV for spectators to see what the VR person is seeing. I can't loving wait to watch the DOTA 2 Internationals in VR mode like a serious goon.

Don't worry, it doesn't suck rear end and you are gonna love it. GET HYPED.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Flashbackjack posted:

Just got out of an Iracing race and holy gently caress it was good. Racing against other people is a very different experience than just doing laps by yourself (duh). So much sweat!
The visuals are amazingly clear and I couldn't find any weird artifacts, though I need to see if i can up the AA a tiny bit. I have a homemade buttkicker lying in pieces because of poo poo soldering, but i need to get that fixed. I would buy simvibe (http://simxperience.com/en-us/products/simvibe/simvibesoftware.aspx) but it's loving 90 $. Someone tell me it's worth it.

One thing about VR is that i yell a lot more than i ever do on a normal monitor.

I really really need to get iRacing. I don't know why I keep putting it off.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

If you're interested in iRacing, there is a goon league that does stuff. We're currently in a hiatus but we normally do the skip barber on short ovals and sometimes road courses. We've been experimenting with other cars as well. There's also goon racing in Assetto Corsa as well. Both groups race on Sundays.

Yeah, I've been reading the sim racing thread. I got both P.Cars and A.C at the same time and have been messing around with Pcars more. I'll spend some time with Aseeto Corsa and race with you guys sometime soon. I also got my new Fanatec pedals in and they are pretty rad. Any of you guys who haven't tried racing or think you wouldn't like racing, buy a cheap wheel and try it in VR, it's amazing.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Here is a free Story/Narrative Experience that just came out that seems kinda cool

http://store.steampowered.com/app/471630/

posted:

Rexodus: A VR Story Experience is based on the Dark Horse Graphic Novel Rexodus. This is a VR narrative experience set in a universe where dinosaurs didn't go extinct, they left Earth. Those dinosaurs, utilizing their own advanced technology, are traversing the galaxy.

Flashbackjack posted:

I did a race in a SCCA Spec Racer Ford on Charlotte motor speedway. Made it 12 laps out of 20 before getting kicked out because of too many spin outs. The SSCA is very challenging but fun to drive, you have to be real gentle. Didn't cause any accidents or kill any spectators, and somehow managed to end on 9th out of 18 (best of the worst) so im quite proud of that. Being able to peek out on the mirrors without moving your head helps a ton.

Sounds fun as poo poo and will tickle my OCD tendency hah.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Here's a google map showing all USA Vive demo locations. I remember someone was asking about that earlier.
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1ZS5lYddr1rqarWltrfTsT8NJqOo

It's also being updated as more locations open up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Speaking of the Vive, in case some of you don't read reddit (don't blame you) apparently you wanna switch out the lanyard on the motion controllers as soon as possible because they are awful and are prone to breaking/becoming unglued from the controller. On the Vive subreddit most people seemed pretty happy with the Nintendo Wii replacement wrist straps.

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jun 9, 2016