Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I'm borrowing a Rift S for a week.
Blade and Sorcery is really fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I can't throw things well in pretty much anything with a Rift S. Everything sorta drops uselessly to the ground.
Any tips?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Owlbear Camus posted:

Whoah just downloaded blade and sorcery its next level. The physics are a little wonky but in so many of the other experiences there's no "physicality" to anything, poo poo just clips through and animates willy nilly.

It was really satisfying that some of my LARP dork tricks like trapping and controlling weapons using a bearded axe and an arming sword to pin them and try to strip them away actually work. Losing my weapons in the pit fight and resorting to grabbing motherfuckers by the throat and pummelling them is satisfying too.

Blade and Sorcery is so legit. Spears are amazing. One clean thrust through center mass will ruin anyone's day.

If you haven't figured it out yet, adjusting grip on two handed weapons while you're holding them is a great technique. You can choke up close to the head on the axe for the first part of the swing and let your hand slide to full extension on the axe for more power.
You adjust grip by holding the triggers while not releasing the grip button.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

ACValiant posted:

How do you get the most damage from weapons in Blade and Sorcery? Sometimes I feel like I'm pretty ineffectual and other time I'm lopping dudes heads off.

Note on the weapons spawning sheet the different damage. The French Mace has a different damage value depending on where you hit with (big damage for swings on the head of mace, lower damage for thrusts with the pointy end)
For swinging weapons, it's really like hitting a baseball. You get the best results if you connect at full extension. If you adjust your grip mid-swing on heavy 2 handed weapons, you can get lots of power. Pay attention to blade orientation too as you swing. Slapping them hard with the flat of a claymore is very different than getting that blade perpendicular to the target.

Also, adjusting your grip on spears allows you to stabilize the spear with your front hand and let it slide through like a pool cue while thrusting with the back hand. Spears rule. Every unshielded dude goes down fast to a spear.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I want to give a wedgie to whoever designed hp's hinged VR headset.
It is by far the worst fitting VR set I've used

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

So I'm fortunate that I was able to borrow a few VR sets from my employer to try them out.
Thus far I've used a Samsung Odyssey (great!), a Rift S (also pretty good), and a HP Mixed Reality (not great!)

Thus far, I've been really happy with the Oculus Touch controllers and the Oculus software. Really slick, easy to use with Steam VR, and the controllers are great. I like the difference between touching and pressing the button, really cool. I like the Oculus setup process too, being able to touch the sticks to the ground to set the floor and then drawing the barrier line with the controller.

Windows Mixed Reality portal is a little more work to set up and I found I had to continually re-set it up. I don't really care for the WMR interface. I always ended up opening stuff in Steam VR anyway. Oculus software was pretty slick. I found it really easy to get into software.

The Samsung set was really great though. I liked the adjustability of the halo, AND the focus knob. Made it really easy to get a sharp picture, and it definitely had the best picture of all the VR sets I tried. Pretty heavy set, and awkwardly weighted. Included slide-out speakers were good too.
Rift S was OK, though the lack of focus knob made it a little bit of work to wiggle it on your face to make the picture sharp. I also found it was easy to lose that focus if it shifted on your head. I have warm feelings for the Rift because of the Oculus exclusive Vader Immortal which was super rad. Really like the top strap on the hardware too, makes it easy to sit on your head without squeezing.
HP set was a terrible fit. They have a hinge up front to flip up, but even when flipped up you can't see very well in front of you :downs:. It is not adjustable at all except for on the halo, and requires a great deal of wiggling to get it working OK. The hinged front makes it difficult to get both a good light blocking seal AND in focus. The two tracking cameras are slightly worse than the Odyssey, and MUCH worse than the Rift S. This is such a lousy product. There's no speakers on the headset at all, and plugging in headphones is wonky. If you're already in a title and plug in headphones, it won't recognize the headphones. You have to close the software, plug in headphones, THEN open the software.

Odyssey had such a nice looking screen that it is an absolute crime that the controller tracking was so limited.

Have yet to try a Vive but want to check that out first before I buy one. I think I might end up with a Rift S. That thing ruled for Blade and Sorcery :black101:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

shrach posted:

You can often pick any of the non-Samsung Windows MR sets for like 150 new. For example the HP one is available here for that https://www.microcenter.com/product/608531/mixed-reality-headset-and-controllers---black

That HP one is really, really crappy though. It's the worst VR set I've ever used. It's minimally adjustable and difficult to keep it from being a blurry mess due to the dumb hinged eyepiece and halo-only head strap.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Stick100 posted:

Do you know your IPD, if it's close to 64 then the S is fine otherwise you might want to consider the others.

Since you waited on your bonus this is a big purchase for you. Get the Rift S, upgrade the audio, maybe get a gun stock later.

The Index is the best, but it's not worlds different and over $700 (once you factor in sales tax) is a ton of money.

$700 buys you a badass video card and odds are good you end up playing more games in 2D anyway

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

That is interesting. I like how they talk about Vader Immortal, in that it's mostly a narrative story with some interactivity. It's an amazing experience.

Contrast that to something like Blade and Sorcery which is just really tight melee mechanics in an arcade combat game with no narrative.

If Asgard's Wrath can deliver something close to both of those at the same time it's going to be a great game.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Welp I almost bought a Rift S a few weeks ago and I'm glad I waited. Sounds like Quest plus tether is going to be the name of the game in the "costs less than a Valve Index" market.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Here's a reddit thing. An Oculus product manager answered some questions about the link
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/d96a7o/oculus_link_tether_oculus_quest_to_pc_via_usbc/

Coming in November. Gonna work with a number of cables, but Oculus will also sell their own

edit 2: link cable listed on Oculus website, although not available yet, courtesy of /u/wiinii - https://www.oculus.com/quest/accessories/

edit: some quotes from u/hifipotato, Oculus Product Manager (text in brackets by me, rephrasing to make sense of out-of-context stuff or other clarifications):

Our cable is capable of providing charge to the headset if the USB port supports ample power.

The usb cable [that comes with Quest] is a usb 2, you will need a usb 3 compatible cable.

Unknown sources {ie SteamVR, non-Oculus apps} will be supported with Oculus Link.

You can also use a usb c to A cable, we have not evaluated all configurations but most quality usb 3 cables and ports should work.

[Oculus' own Link cable is] 5 meters in length and super thin and more flexible than the off the shelf cables we were able to find.

Usb C is a connector type, usb 3 is the spec.

We are still evaluating hardware compatibility but most usb 3 ports should work.

We designed a custom cable with an ergonomic support to make it comfortable and help keep the cable out of your way.

No it’s a regular usb 3 connection. Most ports should work. Our cable is C to C but there are some third party A to C’s we’ve seen work as well. We don’t require you to use our cable.

We invented some compression techniques as well as added a bunch of tweaks and improvements into the rendering pipeline as well as transport to make this all work. It’s not just a direct video feed. We have a blog post coming out that will explain under the hood.

We currently are working on evaluating system requirements for Oculus Link. More details will be available closer to launch.

We had to invent a few techniques to make this experience reach an acceptable latency and visual threshold. The team put in so much amazing effort!

It’s a custom fiber optic usb 3 cable we designed specifically for VR. However at launch you can use most high performance usb 3 cables.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I like the USB-C connector, my last 2 phones have used it.
Not needing to flip it over when connecting it is enough to make me love it

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

mashed_penguin posted:

This thread desperately needs a better title. If its going to have a subtitle it should be updated more regularly :colbert:

Oculus is dead. Long live the Oculus

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Sir, this is a job simulator drive thru

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

If the Rift S price drops enough, I'll get it. If not, the Quest with a cable is a good answer. Both are good sub$500 VR entry points

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

SabinBlitz posted:

What we need is Chris Roberts to save PCVR gaming with his expert knowledge of hand waving and dreams and expert coding.

Imagine what he could do with Carmack.

I don't think the tickle fetish genre has been explored in VR yet

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

SCheeseman posted:

I like how Microsoft are just pretending WMR doesn't exist now.

Which is a shame because the Samsung headsets are quite good (even though the controllers aren't great)

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

So, Asgard's Wrath is released today. Who's playing it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Tip posted:

I haven't bought it yet, I don't know if I trust the reviews. Defector was a huge piece of poo poo and got glowing previews and reviews.

The reviews I've read for Asgard's Wrath say it's the best VR game ever, but also seem to indicate that the melee combat is kinda dull and repetitive.

Yeah, that made me nervous too. Sounds like it's more rhythm game than Blade and Sorcery.