Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
I really wish we could get some details on Magic Leap and Google Glass 2. I'm not even interested in entertainment as much as having a HUD I can input information into and analyze on the go.

Hololens so far has been pretty unimpressive with its small fov and space-visor design.

Guess it'll be another 5 years before consumers get something useful. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

suddenlyissoon posted:

I'm pretty sure Magic Leap is going to end up being vaporware.

Supposedly it's been demoed to journalists and will make it to Las Vegas this year (CES?). But whether it's more/better than Hololens is the real question.

Only way I could see it being better is if it projected the visuals directly onto your eye without causing permanent eye damage (A man can dream.)

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
It's good to keep in mind that Facebook does some shady poo poo and you really shouldn't trust services that don't respect the ethical boundaries of the host nation.
Apparently OkCupid did some similar stuff to its users in the past as far as manipulating what a user sees.

This is in comparison to Valve, who just wants to sell you games and make PC gaming more accessible and visible

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Bremen posted:

It's a bit early to say Oculus will go down that route (I'm of the opinion that Facebook mostly just wanted to set up a walled garden and sell software), but it's certainly something I'd worry about.

Considering how much whiplash Facebook/Oculus has already received about their walled garden + drm, I wouldn't put it past them to capitalize on any a viable method of income in order to break even.

But attempting to subtly influencing users emotions for science without direct consent is pretty hosed up. Imagine if a user was near suicidal and all the negative news they were getting bombarded with had sent them over the edge...

Sure the likelihood isn't very probable, but FB used a database far larger than a standard scientific study.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

EdEddnEddy posted:

I have still yet to setup the Vive around the Omni yet though. Too freaking busy/tired all the time with life. Adulting sucks sometimes. Also vr with the heat in CA this week is tough. The AC has to run 100% of the time to keep the temp low enough that I don't sweat my rear end off in VR after only 5 minutes unless I play naked or something. (Now that would be interesting to walk in on). "It's exactly what it looks like"...

Get a swamp cooler man, works wonders for non-humid high-heat areas.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

The Walrus posted:

sounds like a great way to give someone a seizure

You say this now but there's an entire movement to feeling like your on drugs from listening to music.

VR is just the next step to give mental addicts their fix.

I'm still waiting for a Vice episode where they subject some LSD addicts to vr just to see what happens.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
I wonder if exaggerated arm swinging like you're running could be used as a locomotion method. Wouldn't work well for running and gunning though.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
I wonder what would have happened if facebook hadn't bought out Oculus: would they have been drm free? Would they have the money to pay for game exclusives? Would they even have been successful given that Valve was already secretly prototyping?

It's interesting that HTC is offering money to invest in a variety of companies that would find a use for VR while Facebook is desperately trying to lock down gaming companies to propagate their storefront.

Thor-Stryker fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jun 15, 2016

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Eh, the argument is pointless until someone makes a 189X135 degree, 8K resolution screen headset. As well GPU that needs to exist in order to be able to run it.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Black and White by far would be the most interesting experience with VR controllers. It would be a lot easier to control your pet as well as flinging things from your influence range.

A 3D Kirby Canvas Curse would be an interesting bet too.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
I like that he says "companies aren't coming to the market because it isn't big enough" as his company attempts to slap exclusivity deals on everything.

Like duh Palmer, pigeonholing developers into one headset will probably shrink the size of the market. Thanks.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

AndrewP posted:

I have a Rift, but if Valve funded some big games with a timed exclusive in return, I'd be glad. Because I'd rather the game exist and eventually get it.

The difference is that Valve will fund your game as long as you put it on Steam, they don't care if it's Rift or Vive only, so developers are free to make as much money from both headsets.

While Oculus is dangling a money carrot in front of devs in an attempt to muscle into the market place with a clearly inferior games-store. It's like they payed no attention to EA's failed attempt with a half-baked client and game exclusives, now EA gives away games for free after one to two years because no-one would use the service otherwise.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

EdEddnEddy posted:

*Except GearVR. Don't have a Samsung, but with a Nexus 6P, I hope Daydream VR will be nearly the same thing...

Is Daydream VR going to be compatible with older models? I'm waiting for next-gen Nexus coming out next month.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Still waiting for a Mechwarrior/Pacific Rim game to come out so I can drive robots in 3D.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
1998 was the year gaben graced us with Half-Life, forever cementing WASD supremacy.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
I do know Razer is beefing up their VR department massively in SF, so we'll see if they try to get a premium headset going, or if they're just going to do Hydra 2.0 for the current headsets.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
I finally had my first experience on an Obvious after having used Vive since release. It's definitely lighter, didn't like the light gap in the nose because it kept distracting me, really wanted to walk around/duck in some demo games, the Mario-clone game felt eh, kept having to shift my head in a different direction and hitting the reset-head button.

Overall, it's easier to just set up and launch games, but in contrast, the Vive feels way more innovative and immersive.

It's like Mac VS PC, Apple makes Mac just work so people can point and click. PC gives you options to modify and delve into complex options if you have the patience and skill to do so.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Has anyone delved in deep with DolphinVR yet? How good is it with n64 titles? How does it treat Vive controllers with Wii titles? I'm considering getting into it but I don't know if the software is there yet.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

homeless snail posted:

It varies from game to game but it puts some games in a really cool new perspective IMO. My favorite that I've tried is Paper Mario TTYD, because it just looks like this incredible tiny little diorama that you're poking your head into which actually kind of substantially improves that game. Most of the other ones I've tried have been a whole lot less impressive, although there's an AR patch for one of the Mario Karts, Double Dash I think, that makes it first person and that's pretty cool.

They recently patched in wiimote emulation for the Vive controllers I think, haven't tried it. And idk if it works with N64 VC games or not, hadn't thought about trying it but now I'm going to go do that right now.

Thanks for the info, I just wanted another way to demo VR to friends with a more "well known" franchise of games like Nintendo.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
I heartily recommend Pierhead Arcade for any Vive user that wants Beach-Arcade style minigames like Wack-a-Mole, Crane Games, skeeball etc. It's really come a long way and is only ten bucks.
You even win tickets that you can then use to buy a working quad-copter or tank or car.

It's also multiplayer.

Thor-Stryker fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Aug 26, 2016

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
I think the biggest challenge for next generation is going to be getting a wireless headset that supports 4K-Split rendering and then hoping the next generation of 3D cards comes out to supplement it. Otherwise we'll be stuck with cartoonish worlds because Nvidia's VR demo is already taxing the 1080 for a small amount of world space being rendered.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
I think any M.2 SSD is good enough for OS + Core games. The difference between top of the line and entry is like one-second on your BIOS boot time.

Regular SSDs though, I'd go ask the PC building thread.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Helter Skelter posted:

This is a GearVR competitor, they're not going after the PC VR market with this.

Man oh'man I wish Valve and Google would pair up, that would be a force to be reckoned with.

That or Magic Leap, but I guess ML decided to be paired with Disney and Lucas Films, they're moving their campus to right outside my apartment in SF.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Who was the original anti-bargefink pro-Oculus shtick and why are we running this joke into the ground again?

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

a messed up horse posted:

remember when you guys all spent hundreds if not thousands of dollars on this gimmicky trash?

lol

I too spent $10 to semi-publicly shame people because I have a growing list of insecurities and a natural fear of sunlight, popularity, and being able to socialize.

Join us brother.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
So Oculus + Controllers is only $50 cheaper than Vive, it will have slightly less functionality unless additional cameras and cords are bought, but it will be higher quality thanks to a longer development time and being able to learn from the Vive's mistakes.

Gen1 VR: the most pointless of debates

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Does anyone know when the ti versions come out?

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Poetic Justice posted:

Does that mean less indie shovelware and more AAA games for the Rift? Or are only white people going to be making games for the Rift now? I don't get it. Should we require all employees of a company to fill out a political questionnaire before every headset purchase? If Palmer is actually racist, but his company is doing stuff to better LGBT and diversity representation in games, should we boycott them anyway?

It's a morality thing, currently there's a push to force publicly-traded companies to disclose any money being sent to political campaigns so investors know their money isn't being contributed to a conniving liar.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
A good reason for not being able to replace the battery in a phone is being able to boost the Water-Resistant rating.

Course Google Pixel will be the exception because HTC can't waterproof for poo poo.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
The military uses the equivalent of a Wii-Mote for controlling the Viewport (TADS/PNVS) on Apache Helicopters, it isn't that great of a system. (And it only costs $6,000+ for each helmet.)

And now for a tenth of the price you can have a phone that does the same thing without having to worry about light/equipment obscuring the sensors.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

haveblue posted:

It was also developed in the 80s, wasn't it? If it's still mostly comparable to a solution from two decades later that's an amazing achievement.

Yeah, it's amazing how the Wii took technology back from the 80s and made it a thing.

And technically Apaches have had their own version of Google-Glass in them for a while. HUD viewport that still let's you see the inside of your cockpit.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Focus on the meltdown at hand guys:

Roomscale.

What is roomscale?

Who does roomscale work for

Is it being able to move around in VR without being locked into one spot and having little to no deadzones?

Or could it be the customizable scaling of your playable space depending on the size of your room?

Either way, at least I'm not paying an extra $ for a roomscale that came out a couple months after its competitor.

Gen2 headsets here we come boys!

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
It's a fair opinion to judge the usefulness of Roomscale, especially in a home environment where space varies so widely.

I think it's just a matter of developers taking advantage of the space. Roomscale is nice in a few titles: Tilt Brush, Onward, any exploration title, Hover Junkers etc. Mechanics that force you to juke left/right, peak around cover while facing away from the physical computer, being able to grab things on a virtual desk without having to reorient it to face your sensor-cameras.

That being said, a lot of popular Vive titles are 270degree experiences, Zombie Training Simulator, Space Pirate Trainer, Pierhead Arcade etc.

Now in a commercial environment, Roomscale is the bee's knees. Letting your customer walk around a virtual car or virtual Ikea room is far more tantalizing than leaning left or right and having to press a button to move around the scene.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
If any game needs to come out in VR, it's this one.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Poetic Justice posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/56s7ex/nate_mitchell_vp_of_product_i_dont_want_to_eat_my/d8lxrc8

That's pretty awesome. It's like Oculus are taking certain people's worries and complaints and knocking them down one by one. Official roomscale support-check, extension cable-check, more immersive earbuds that blocks out outside sounds-check. They also seems pretty confident that they won't have any shipping issues, so fingers crossed. Also, Steam Dev days is this week and I'm excited to see if they have any new VR information they talk about.

All good quality of life improvements! Now please open your wallet for things that should have been day one features.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Luckey is a libertarian, therefore he should burn. Mind you, American libertarians are all for removing the FDA (For a free market with poisonous foods), police departments (Civilian militias can govern their own areas), removing all safety nets for the sick/poor/hobbled (Only the strongest/richest survive), and believe companies should be uninhibited (Free to employ people through contract servitude.)

Ready Player One is like VR and Gary Johnson combined basically.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
I think the mistake was backing Complex Tech in a niche market.

Now that Valve has released the Lighthouse info, companies like Razer and Nvidia will probably be attempting their own controllers, I do know both companies have been bulking up their VR departments in the bay area.

And as we've already seen in the past, Razer can come up with some pretty crazy poo poo like the Hydra.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Collateral Damage posted:

Smart on-screen keyboards like SwiftKey etc took the physical phone keyboard out behind the shed and put a 12 gauge through its skull for everyone but the most insufferable sperglords who probably still think Blackberry isn't a walking corpse.

Thanks for having sissy spider-fingers and ushering in the era of fudged texts because touchscreen keyboards are nowhere near as powerful as QWERTY.

For me, I shall suffer for having man hands and type/swype slow as gently caress because I have to fix everything.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Man, it's too bad Microsoft poo poo the bed with their Hololens because now there's even less reason for Magic Leap to release.

Hell, just give me Google Glass2 so I can geek out, without having to access my phone or look at my wrist whenever I need something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Hope for neural attachments because most gamers don't want to move around when they can sit in place with their controllers and eat Doritos and consume mountain dew.