Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OrganicAnkleSocks
Dec 5, 2005
Having no previous experience with any VR solution, I went to Best Buy and demo'd the Rift. The colors seemed really washed out on it. Did BB just have a setting goofed up or is this normal for a Rift? I tried searching and saw some folks having washed out colors with a DK version that was supposed to be fixed by a software update, but nothing to give me a feel for if this is normal on the retail Rift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OrganicAnkleSocks
Dec 5, 2005

Wanderer89 posted:

Was positional tracking working properly? (Not just rotational)

The colors desaturate whenever the sensor loses sight of the headset to let you know, so best buy may have goofed the setup, because I wouldn't call the rift's screen washed out normally.

I'm honestly not sure. The demo was short, and since it was my first time and there were people standing around me, I didn't really move anything but my head and hands. I didn't want to plow into some guy with his kid watching me demo it :) But good to know it isn't normally washed out. The headset I tried looked like when someone cranks the gamma up too high. I did like the effect and see a lot of potential in the application.

OrganicAnkleSocks
Dec 5, 2005
I'd done the Rift demo last week, then on Monday did the Vive demo.

I experienced the same effect of colors being somewhat washed out on the Vive, so I think it is just me. I'm used to gaming in a semi-dark room on a somewhat expensive IPS monitor that has good color depth and contrast. Either way, with both demos I noticed that after playing/watching for a few minutes the 'high gamma effect' started reducing, and I also was not noticing the pixel grid as much.

Either way, I think the tech is awesome and I had enough fun especially with the Vive that I'm getting tempted to pull the trigger.

I noticed that the Vive felt more comfortable, even if I felt a little like I was sporting Predator dreads with the cable snaking down my back. I wear eyeglasses, and though I have a small head and wear small, thin-framed glases, the Rift pushed them against my nose bridge to where I could feel it would be painful after a while. Even after readjusting the straps several times and taking the Rift off and putting it back on, my eyeglasses still pressed into my nose. The Vive did not have this issue--I don't know if it was the cushioning around the headset or what.

The main things holding me back from purchasing are generally minor. I only have a GTX 770 (I did an upgrade not long ago, just waiting for 1080s to become available). I don't have a lot of space (though after moving a chair, I have about 5' x 5', and I think if I move some other things i can get 5' x 6' or even 6' x 6', so I don't think this is a big deal). I wish there was more of a common API or whatever like DirectX where games can be developed for VR and play on any headset, but at least with Oculus locking things and making exclusives, that is kind of hard. Though third party stereo injectors seem to help.

If I purchase a Vive (the one I'm leaning toward due to comfort with my eyeglasses), how well do older games play with stereo injectors and Vive? I know the interface can be unreadable, it will be a seated game, and just not as good as made-for-VR games. But, does it absolutely have to run at 1080x1200 ish or can lower resolutions upscale fine? I guess the 90fps is the really important part for a game not inducing nausea?