Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
The comments on the superhot subreddit where he confirmed Oculus exclusivity are pretty funny.

https://www.reddit.com/r/superhot/comments/4ld39q/superhot_dev_log_1/d3p14yp

It's a lovely decision for sure. I was looking forward to it when they first announced they'd be doing things with VR. Not any more I guess.

Aphex- fucked around with this message at 08:46 on May 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
E: double post

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Waltz of the Wizard, while a short experience, is loving great. Loads of little cool easter eggs in it too. Highly recommend giving it a go!

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

GlyphGryph posted:

So what's the current go-to for VR Horror?

Right now the scariest game I've played has been Waltz of the Wizard (that part was pretty great by the way, in fact the whole thing is pretty great)

Brookhaven Experiment has easily been the freakiest game I've experienced so far, although it definitely loses a bit of the edge after a couple of replays.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

GlyphGryph posted:

Brookhaven is great, just beat it. The ending of the demo... wow, especially considering what I was thinking at the end of wave 2 when you get that "glimpse" in the distance.

I can't wait for the full game - that and Budget Cuts both look like they're going to be super fun.

Yeah the ending of the demo gave me a proper feeling of fear the first couple of times. The sense of presence and scale really sells it. Definitely going to buy the full game when it comes out.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Granite Octopus posted:

Also it sounds like Dirt Rally will have full Oculus support in the next patch, which was a very nice surprise. Had anyone tried the previous versions where they had kinda-hidden alpha support? Apparently the menus weren't done but gameplay actually worked?

Fuckkkkk is there any mention of vive support for Dirt Rally? If yes then I'm going to buy a wheel and pedals RIGHT THIS SECOND.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Nalin posted:

I look forward to Bethesda's hilariously botched effort at making Gamebryo VR capable.

Maybe it'll finally convince them to get a new engine.... :v:

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

nelson posted:

Let's get back to games and other fun VR things... Speaking of which, has anybody made a VR planetarium yet? I want to explore our galaxy from the comfort of my bed.

Universe Sandbox 2 has Vive support. You can explore the galaxy from your bed, also throw poo poo at the earth. Also create solar systems, put huge stars inside our own solar system, blow up the earth in many different ways, create planets..... yeah.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Michaellaneous posted:

In that case, can they be kinda overhead? I could mount them on the ceiling which would cover all the space.

They recommend mounting them over head height, around 2 metres or so.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I got LASIK 4 years ago and my eyesight hasn't budged from 20/12 since then. They said I might need reading glasses in 20 years but I think that's a good loving trade-off if you ask me. LASIK rules.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Crossposting from the Vive thread for those who are interested!

Brookhaven Experiment first impressions - It's like the demo but there's more of it! If you liked the demo you'll like the full game and I reckon it's definitely worth the cost so far, I've only played around 45 mins but it's cool. The campaign has you visiting different environments where you spend 3 or so waves fending off different types of monsters. Hidden in the environments are shootable boxes that unlock upgrades like laser sights and gun unlocks. There are a few different categories of upgrades like ones you can put on your gun, ones you can use on your person e.g. body armour and perks, and grenade type ones. There are a few pistols to unlock, an uzi type gun and a shotgun. There looks to be 10 parts to the campaign, I've played 3 so far and haven't found a lot of unlocks yet. I think some unlocks occur with game progression rather than shootable boxes too as I had body armour available without finding it's particular box. They've added recoil to the shooting which feels better than in the demo, you can't as easily spam fire and down the big guys. You have to compensate if you're firing rapidly which makes it more interesting.

The 3 out of 10 environments I've been in so far are all pretty atmospheric and well put together. You can tell this isn't a tech demo, it feels like a proper game that they've put time and effort into making. After playing loads of tech demos and more janky titles it feels nice to have an experience like this. As well as the campaign there's a survival mode where I'm assuming you can revisit environments from the campaign and fight endless, or a longer amount of waves, although I haven't given that a go yet. It's performing really well on my PC which is an i5 3570k @4.0 with a 980. No noticeable frame drops, it feels buttery smooth. The only issue I've noticed so far is the way in which the lighting is done is creating a far bit of glare on the lenses, but it's not that bad.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Poetic Justice posted:

Because it's better. . . .

Have you used Touch yet? I'm curious as to how good they are and how they differ from the Vive wands.

Kazy posted:

Because touchpads as joysticks suck. :v:

I never know why people think this. I find the touchpads on the Vive are actually pretty drat great. As long as the devs implement them properly they're ridiculously versatile.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

They're great. Steam Controller's great, and so are the Vive pads. Why? Because nobody uses them just as joysticks. They can serve numerous functions, which is much better than feeling around for buttons like with the Hydra.

Grip button sucks on Vive though.

Yeah this is it. The haptic feedback when you move your thumb over the touchpad with the steam controller and vive wands really helps too, it feels incredibly precise.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Eh I get by just fine on two SSDs. A 125gb one for the OS and a few non-game applications and a 500gb one for everything else.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah I just keep my media on a 2tb external HDD. It feels good having a relatively free PC because I always know I can install stuff if I really have to without deleting stuff I don't really want to delete.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Bremen posted:

There was a game called Jurassic Park: Trespasser where you ended up trapped on the island from the second movie and had to escape while shooting dinosaurs. What's interesting about it is that it tried very hard for a sort of early "presence." Your gun wasn't aimed at the center of your screen; you moved your hand around with your mouse and shot what the hand was pointing at. You could solve various puzzled by moving your hand around. There was no HUD; you got all information from environmental cues.

Now, Trespasser wasn't a great game. It was also terribly received due to performance issues. But, it shows you can do a full game just fine in VR, motion controlled style. I agree with the idea that right now we're in the era of "VR Pong"; games build on previous generations, and right now there aren't really enough consumers to justify huge investments of time and resources into making the best possible games. Not to mention the hardware is functional but could be improved. But all of those problems will fade in time.

I am totally on board for more VR games to incorporate health bars on boobs that's for sure.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Tom Guycot posted:

-Shallow depth of field. You don't want a single part of the image out of focus, the foreground and background need to both be in sharp focus. Thankfully this is where a phone camera should be really good, since by their nature they basically have to fake any depth of field blurring in software, so just make sure none of those effects are turned on, and I would think you won't have an issue.

I think you mean the opposite of what I've bolded here. An image with a shallow depth of field would be one where only a small part of the image is in focus. You'd want something between f/8 and f/14 or so depending on the lens to get the best balance between large depth of field and the least diffraction - which becomes more of a problem the larger the depth of field (larger f-stop). But yeah, phone cameras shouldn't have that issue at all.

The rest is really good though, I'm tempted to give this photogrammetry stuff a go with my DSLR, although I've only got 8gb of ram so might not be ideal.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

w00tazn posted:

Notch and Steve Jobs both turned out to be shitheads too but noone is boycotting Minecraft/Microsoft or boycotting the iPhone/Apple.

Genuinely curious - Why does everyone hate Notch? Pretty much all I know is that he sold Minecraft for billions and now just tweets about nothing because who cares, he's rich.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Digital Foundry have put out a fairly positive review for PSVR. As a Vive owner I do hope it's a success because it really would be a big boost for VR.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
H3 has a similar locomotion mode in a couple of its scenes where you can grab on to corners and ledges and bars to pull yourself along, it's actually really great and I can imagine it would work wonders in a space game like that one.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Roadie posted:

I don't see any Doritos or Mountain Dew in this picture, so it's complete inaccurate.

Because they're in VR, duh!

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Woah, google have just released Google Earth VR for the Vive. Everyone who's got one should check it out, it's awesome. You can fly around cities and terrain in 3D like the regular version. Also if you go into the settings menu you can turn on human scale so you can go stand at the top of Everest or any other mountain and feel the scale. It's free too!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/348250/

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

cheesetriangles posted:

Has anyone made Russian roulette vr yet and why not?

I mean you can technically do that in H3 now except without the dying part.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
So Arizona Sunshine comes out today. Would be cool to hear some opinions of it from people who took the plunge. I'm holding off until there's some feedback but it looks cool at least.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Squashing Machine posted:

H3VR is the game I've sunk the most time into on the Vive, but it desperately needs to become a real game. The developer has stated that he doesn't want to put in humanoids, so we're stuck plinking away at metal targets and weird hot dog robots. I respect the man sticking to his guns and delivering what is a really polished physics simulator, but I would love nothing more than a terrorist hunt mode or, god forbid, a Borderlands-lite with ammo and weapon scavenging.

Yeah I come back to H3VR more than any other game because of the constant updates and the guns are just so satisfying to play with but it's really spoiled me on how guns should be in VR. I want every game involving guns to have that much detail, it's so fun when you load a mag and cock the weapon manually.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Truga posted:

I have the thin vr cover for vive and it's very good??

Yeah I've got the fabric one and it's great!

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Knifegrab posted:

Play charades. The people can be really fun and funny. I've lost countless hours playing charades in rec room!

Also this is amazing!

https://vimeo.com/194697431

Holy poo poo that's mad.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
If I want to play superhot on the vive with revive do I have to buy it through the oculus store or can I get it on steam?

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Lucid Dream posted:

Oculus store. My understanding is that there is a timed exclusivity and eventually it will be on Steam, at which point you won't need to use Revive at all.

Poo. Guess I'll wait then. Don't feel like fracturing my game library even more when I know a Vive version will be on steam in the future.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Falken posted:

Anyone who has Hotdogs Horseshoes and Hand Grenades and hasn't been playing lately should go check it out. Anton Hand, the developer made an advent calender map with boxes you open to get a new gun every day.

Some truly awesome poo poo to play with. Especially christmas day!

Ooh poo poo, I've been keeping up with the advent calendar but not today, got to remember to check when I'm back with my vive. I think my favourite day so far has either been the triple bullpup day or the M14. So much fun!

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah calling Arizona Sunshine a dumpster fire is a bit much. Fair enough if you don't like it but it's a well made game. Picking out issues of realism because of where you find ammo is a little silly.

I get that automatic reloads aren't everyone's cup of tea but making AS like H3VR wouldn't work very well because later on in the game there are a poo poo load more zombies in places and it's just quicker and more arcadey to reload how they did it. Also like mentioned above, there are more than two guns in the game and some of them are pretty cool. That sound bug sucks, I didn't get anything like that but I can imagine something like that would sour your experience of it.

The devs are also in the process of adding a new locomotion option similar to Onwards which is cool. Once they've implemented it I'm definitely going to run through the campaign again. The horde mode is a ton of fun too.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Songbearer posted:

I'm actually kind of struggling on normal difficulty to deal with the amount of zombies that come at you in a horde, with standing controls it's extremely clunky to teleport around with so many enemies about and even if you've been harvesting ammo it generally never feels like quite enough when you need to spray everyone down, but there's also little time for finesse. I'll probably reduce the difficulty to easy as restarting time and again kills the pacing.

If I had a major complaint it'd be with the characters propensity for "tutorial talk". You know, constantly pointing out what the player needs to do to advance. It's super grating and feels very condescending, wish there was an option that just let you hear quips. I also would like a way to drop guns so I can go bare handed, but that's just for spergy MY IMMERSION reasons.

Agree with these complaints for sure. Teleporting is a bit poo poo because when you've got a horde around you it only lets to teleport a certain angle away from them or something so sometimes it just straight up doesn't let you move, not fun really. New locomotion should be a lot of fun. I think the ammo situation is ok though honestly, at times I would like to unload and not care, but there were other times where I panic ran out of ammo for one gun then quickly grabbed a secondary from my hip - like one of the shotguns - and just went to town. It's pretty satisfying but I agree, having a mode with plentiful ammo would be great.

I got tired of the tutorial talk as well. Saying that if you've seen some youtube folk trying to play this game or others you can see why they want to be so drat condescending, sometimes people just don't listen. Not being able to go bare handed is annoying too, it feels weird with two guns in your hands while you're also throwing a grenade.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Truga posted:

While it's true, the biggest issue I have with VR currently is the lovely resolution making any text that isn't huge unreadable. All the text in elite is pretty drat large on a monitor, but the smaller text is *just* on the legible side in VR, with pretty hefty supersampling enabled. My headset losing a few more grams and having ASW and whatever other advances come around in steamvr would be great and all, but no software solution is going to fix that issue ever. We need foveated rendering and higher resolution asap.

Yeah, I still absolutely love my Vive and use it poo poo loads but no amount of extra guff will make me upgrade to second gen as long as the resolution is still crappy. I totally get that it's going to be a while until the res becomes sharp because of the amount of power that's going to need to run at 90fps, but I'm happy to wait.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Latest update from this dude's hobby project has been released called COMPOUND. It's a really promising roguelike shooter thing for the Vive, it's free and a lot of fun. Here's a video of the newest update.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQN378p6vH8

And here's a link to the reddit thread with the download links: https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/63b1f7/super_lowfi_roguelite_fps_compound_ver_003b/

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Revitalized posted:

I really like the wealth of features that Hotdogs, Horseshoes and Hand Grenades has to offer but man reloading mags is a pain, I can't find a reliable way to get that magazine into a pistol quickly. It just sort of fails to line up in VR and sticks. I like everything else about it though :(

In the options you can turn on Simple Reloading or something like that which is the same as regular reloading except it just clips the mag through the gun rather than having to worry about lining it up. It's a good compromise because you're still doing the same motions, it's just less fiddly.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I finally got round to playing Superhot VR on the weekend since it came out for the Vive (officially).

What a game, holy poo poo! I definitely get why it's rated so highly now, even though the campaign was very short, it was so god drat cool. I really suck at endless mode though. I seem to only be able to get half way to each level's target before being completely overwhelmed and dying. Any tips?

On a related non-vr note, I got the bundle with regular superhot and it runs really badly, even when the VR version is buttery smooth. I've got a 3570k and a 1080ti so I'm preeeetty sure it's not me.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Fooz posted:

Looks very cool but thumbpad is still a mistake to me.

I absolutely love the touchpads that are on the Vive controllers at the moment so if it's anything like them but better (which it looks like, is it slightly concave?) then it's going to be wonderful. I find them much more precise than thumbsticks for VR and the fact that you can see where your thumb is touching them when you're in VR with the little white dot is really really cool.

Those new controllers look rad as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Does anyone know if Lone Echo is a timed exclusive for oculus or just regular exclusive and won't be coming to steam?