Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Did you go through and set your own controls for War Thunder? Make sure there isn't some other device giving input to war thunder that's messing you up.

If anything, War Thunder is worth loading up in VR just to fly around a bit. I'm not good enough at sim battles to play super serious and you just can't be very good at the game from the cockpit in the arcade battles. I loaded up War Thunder in VR and flew around a bunch and thought it was really cool. Then I took off my headset and started flying 3rd person with mouse and keyboard in order to be able to compete with everyone else.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jun 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I played some VR Pool and the game is pretty good. My only problem is when I scratched when playing the AI. The AI placed the ball and then hit a ball behind the headstring which is a foul but it kept on playing. I also checked out Final Approach. I avoided it at first because it is a phone game but the news that they were adding some other things to it caused me to break down and buy it. It's really good and I'll have to add it to the OP.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
They are using Digital River which is complete gutter trash. Unless they changed things recently, they don't allow you to customize delivery. You have to let it fail delivery once and then you can set it to be delivered to a FedEx store.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Someone would actually need to use OSVR for that to mean anything.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That's what I was talking about. Someone would have to use it for it to matter. It's an empty gesture. They created their SDK to support any headset so why would there be headset DRM? Oculus created their SDK for their headset. However a bad decision it may be, it makes sense to them that they would want it to only work with the hardware they choose. If there's no DRM on the games whatsoever, that's a poor choice. Even Steam has DRM.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Ah, I see you're playing the "not bothering to even read the post" game. I wasn't defending Oculus and I never said that Steam has hardware DRM.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
And an open source SDK that wants to be a platform that supports any hardware making a statement saying it won't have hardware DRM means literally nothing. They are jumping on a bandwagon by making a meaningless statement in hopes that people will use OSVR. I can't find any decent games that natively support the OSVR runtime. I can only find people trying to get their OSVR headset working in SteamVR.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I found this on the iracing forums and hadn't seen anyone post it here. Oculus' legal counsel has responded to Senator Franken about concerns with Oculus' data collection. Assuming they aren't lying to a US Senator, it all seems like normal stuff.

http://www.franken.senate.gov/files/letter/160519_OculusRiftResponse.pdf

Someone had also posted this. Steam released stats on the size of users' play areas a few days ago. Looks like a big chunk of people only have room for standing scale. Around half only have 2.5x2 meters of space. My area is 2m by 2m and even then I find myself just standing in the middle and teleporting around if the game supports that. For games like Final Approach or Job Sim where you're just given an area that's mapped to your play area, I find myself bumping into walls sometimes when trying to reach something in the game. I don't know if Final Approach changes the size of the maps based on how much room you have, but I'm not too keen on how it works. I always feel like I'm backed up against a wall or just in my own way while standing in the middle of the airport or whatever the level is. I'd rather if they just have one size, make it so I can reach everything while standing in one spot. If they wan to make it so I can walk around the level, make the level bigger and give me a teleport mechanic of some kind.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/358720/discussions/0/350532536103514259/

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jun 5, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Keep in mind that "standing scale" is anything smaller than 2x1.5 meters from my experience with trying to get my area to work. 1/5th is a pretty good chunk. Then over half have barely more than that. Most people have just barely enough room to get room scale. Just to get my area, I had to take a table apart and move it somewhere else. This is all people who are really into VR. Who knows what the average consumer is willing to sacrifice. There are of course plenty of people who have houses large enough to dedicate a room to video games or clear a big area of their family room to get a decent VR space. But often these people are setting up their room scale area right up against glass doors, TVs and other breakable objects.

Every time I see one of these videos I get nervous about showing someone a game like that. It's a testament to how immersive VR is, but I don't know if I can trust them to not sprint off and break something. When I first loaded it up, I saw that he wasn't using the wrist straps and I immediately assumed "Oh, he's going to throw the wand into the TV." I didn't expect him to go through the door. He could have died doing that.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I just realized I need to pack up my DK2. The new iRacing build comes out tomorrow and with that, I lose my last ties to Windows 7 and the .6 SDK. That also frees up a whole SSD. I guess I can install Oculus on there since you can't change where games install.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The latest version of Oculus supports the DK2. It will give you a banner saying that it's not officially supported but it works. I don't see any reason why it won't continue to work for games that don't require motion controllers. If you do want another HMD for your nerdpit for racing games and whatnot, the Rift is the best way to go.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I don't see any reason for them to block the DK2 any time soon. it's practically the same device as the CV1 just with lower specs. When Touch is released, I'm sure they will just pop up a banner saying touch games aren't compatible with the DK2 but there's no point in them blocking it entirely. This is the part where someone mentioned the revive for some reason but that is someone else's hardware being blocked. The fact that the DK2 works on oculus home at all shows they don't plan on blocking it or they would have done that when home came out.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I loaded up SteamVR in my rift earlier today and didn't notice any issues with it besides getting my steam controller to stop being a jerk. I'm on the beta.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Can someone buy Subjunctive a red text title calling him a thief? he clearly stole all of valve's VR tech that they originally didn't plan on using.

Edit: Throw a shill in there too. I'm not sure what side he's on but he's probably shilling for someone.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jun 6, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The steam store page still lists them as free while supplies last.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Edge of Nowhere just released on the Oculus Store. Looks pretty interesting but I'm not into horror games. Or the oculus store.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Is there a point where you can "win" in the slingshot game? I was kind of annoyed that blowing up an area that has tracer core boxes doesn't unlock the tracer cores so I can't get more then 30 million in damage so far. I remember people mentioning that if you "beat" everything like how you can beat the archery one, something unlocks. I don't know if that was just a prank or not.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Why would valve care? They don't sell hardware, they sell software. They don't care what hardware people use to access their store. Making their store exclusive to a device they don't own makes absolutely no sense.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Knifegrab posted:

Do you think they'll even do a Gen2 then?

Who? Valve? They didn't even do a Gen 1. That's all on HTC. Now that the vive is out, I doubt Valve will be doing anything besides adding in support for any new headsets as they come out. Maybe they'll do a revision of how lighthouse works, but I don't expect them to do anything with hardware.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Knifegrab posted:

Knowing Valve you are probably right. And its pretty obvious HTC will do a gen2 but will anyone want one if it can only play half of the games?

If Oculus keeps this exclusive thing, I honestly don't know if anyone is willing to buy an HTC gen 2 headset if the Oculus Gen2 is just as good but will have more games by virtue of also being able to access the Oculus store. Do I think Valve will care? No, because they also have games that aren't on Oculus because maybe those developers don't want to support Oculus. Steam is the better platform and they can play to that with refunds, wishlists, game reviews, and steam sales. As long as there are VR headsets, SteamVR will exist. So this is really only a problem for HTC and any other manufacturers who want to bring a headset to market.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Knifegrab posted:

Was there any advantage to the stem system over the current motion control technology?

The advantage was that Stem existed (in prototype form) and nothing else besides maybe the Leap Motion did. If they had released when they had promised to, they probably could have snagged every DK2 owner and probably some CV1 owners when it came out. While Oculus has yet to release info on when exactly Touch will come out, chances are it will be out before Stem ever releases. Their only hope now is to target these smaller brand headsets like Fove (if that ever releases), OSVR, or StarVR. Or maybe some CV1 owners who don't want to buy Touch but still want motion controllers for whatever reason. In a very niche market, they just became even more niche.

Edit: They also have more sensors so you can do some body tracking. In theory they could still sell those and offer leg and torso tracking in conjunction with a Rift or Vive. That all depends on if their motion tracking is as accurate as the Rift or Vive. If there's any drift compared to the normal motion tracking, it's going to get really weird.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jun 7, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The new iRacing update just came out and with that is Rift CV1 support. It's amazing. I don't know how I'm going to keep myself from just doing this all day. I bought that House of the Dying sun game earlier and I'll check it out and probably add it to the OP.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The steam page lists Vive support.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Is there no way to change the shortcut to bring up the SteamVR interface? You can change the shortcut for Big Picture but that is apparently different from SteamVR for some reason. House of the Dying Sun tells me to use the back button to select my ship but SteamVR stupidly uses that as the button for bringing up the interface. So I press the back button and it brings up the SteamVR interface as well as select the ship in my game. Then I press the B or back button and it closes the steam interface and also goes back to the ship selection. As far as I can tell, there's no setting anywhere in steamvr to change it. I'd rather not have to mess with the controls for every game because of Valve's stupid oversight.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
In a battle of Digital River vs Paypal, I'll vote for paypal. Paypal does something decent every once in a while.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

All that being said I might not meet the minimum requirements anyway for either system--I have a 980ti and 16GB ram, but my processor is an i5 4570, and I've seen the minimums for both be at least i5 4590k

maybe it's time to build up a new pc instead :v:

That CPU should be fine. People are getting on with i5-2500ks.

If you are a simmer, there really is endless content if whatever sim you like supports VR which many do or are in the process of realizing that they need to. If you are just getting VR for VR, then there won't be as much content. For "endless" types of games like SPT and Pool, you can keep playing as long as you don't get bored. Most of the VR games are pretty shallow and once you've done everything, there's no reason to go back.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Granite Octopus posted:

I'm glad I started following this thread - its made me feel a lot more confident about my Oculus order which is hopefully arriving this week.

I have zero room for roomscale and am really only looking to play seated cockpit/driving games (Euro Truck Simulator mainly). Also it sounds like Dirt Rally will have full Oculus support in the next patch, which was a very nice surprise. Had anyone tried the previous versions where they had kinda-hidden alpha support? Apparently the menus weren't done but gameplay actually worked?

Anyway I've gone from considering cancelling my order to being quite excited for it!

Dirt Rally was really good in the DK2. The lack of menus sucked but once you were in the car, it was spot on. Hopefully the support for the consumer version stacks up as well as the beta did.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Mordaedil posted:

A chaperone prevents you from walking into furniture or hitting walls or tables accidentally.

No it doesn't. All it does is make you realize your mistake a split second before you barrel through a plate glass window.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I've hit my walls enough times to know that chaperone is completely useless aside from slow walking. It's not enough to prevent someone from punching a wall. Maybe if valve added in some logic to predict if a controller's current path will lead it outside of the chaperone. Either that or tell people to set their chaperone so they can't reach anything while their arm is extended and their head is at the chaperone.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If you're interested in iRacing, there is a goon league that does stuff. We're currently in a hiatus but we normally do the skip barber on short ovals and sometimes road courses. We've been experimenting with other cars as well. There's also goon racing in Assetto Corsa as well. Both groups race on Sundays.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Maybe they could detect when you're sprinting at the wall and then just flash the screen to give you a seizure so you fall down and don't break your walls or windows.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Mordaedil posted:

If you are sprinting in VR, I'm pretty sure something is wrong.

Tell that to all the people who have done it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I want to know how much the pressing of each gamepad button increases your shill factor.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If you launch with Oculus home, it obviously chooses the rift. If you launch with steamVR, it picks whichever one has HDMI plugged in. I swap out which one is plugged into the HDMI extender depending one which one I want to use. I don't know how it deals with them if you have both HDMIs plugged in.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

What sort of extender do you use?

I'm using this extender: http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024010&p_id=3343&seq=1&format=2

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm guessing those are his version of chaperone. One camera is on the left next to a speaker and the other is on the right in the corner.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Either headset works with SteamVR. Only the Rift works with Oculus Home (officially) but you can use Revive to play things made with the Oculus SDK (either on the Oculus store or on Steam).

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The vive comes with two wall mounts and some drywall screws.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You need an empty rectangle but you can still draw more outside of that when measuring out your space and use that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

GlyphGryph posted:

Moving around in game with a pad is perfectly fine for most people when the game has been built for it, I'd be willing to bet that's what they go with. Most of the sick-inducing games are from lovely implementations on games support was hacked into, and on top of that by the time it comes out people will hopefully have started building up some VR tolerance.

It could work if people ease their way into it. For my game, I've got a mode that only lets you go forward and a mode that lets you strafe however. I figure people will be able to handle forward movement at first a lot better than left and right and especially backwards movement. The first couple times I tried out Altspace, the movement kind of weirded me out. I found myself swaying a bit while moving with the trackpad. I got used to it after that and was fine, but some people will probably never be able to get used to such a movement scheme. I'm just hoping that they get such a thing right. If they don't, certain people will scream that such a movement scheme doesn't work and it will ruin it for everyone. Then we'll be suck with stupid things like grabbing with both controllers and pulling yourself around.