Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theBeaz
Jul 11, 2006

Great thread with no console-warrioring so far - yay!

Lemming posted:

Yeah, to use it as a monitor you have to make screen real estate sacrifices by making all the text larger and stuff, but for games that aren't text heavy I think it's pretty fine. The novelty of sitting here instead of at my desk as well as having the screen appear bigger is worth the tradeoff for me.

I wouldn't want to do actual work using it though.

So I tried using Big Screen to play a game... specifically XCOM2... and the game started lagging like crazy. I guess VR is already using the CPU/GPU up enough that a CPU/GPU intensive game (looking at you Total War:WARHAMMER) might be a no go...

...but still when I get home I NEED to play TW:Warhammer on simulated 100' screen. Please work please work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theBeaz
Jul 11, 2006

Knifegrab posted:

The more cameras the better, cyber punk owns and I don't care who disagrees.

Have you heard of the Oculus Rift? The more cameras you own the better it gets! :iamafag:

theBeaz
Jul 11, 2006

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

Also, this thread seems to be moving pretty slowly. Haven't checked the Vive thread, but I imagine it's mostly shitposting. :P

This thread was previously 50% shitposts, 40% "where's my shipment", and the remainder was VR news. At least most posts (sans this one) have content now.

theBeaz
Jul 11, 2006

Everyone is doing such a good job ignoring them but since they keep trying to press their agenda here I just had to respond:

This is not the "Rift thread". This is the "VR thread". VR is going to change pretty rapidly in the next 12-18 months and it's nice having a megathread for it. The "Vive thread" was formed so some people could ironically wall themselves off from the Rift folks. However many of us are gaming enthusiasts and like hearing about both/all technologies. This thread is best thread. Go play console warrior in the other one.

theBeaz
Jul 11, 2006

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I thought this was the thread for both sides to just fling poo poo at eachother until the true savior of VR, PSVR, releases since both the Rift and the Vive are kinda cool but not really all there yet.

This, basically. If anything, PSVR will hopefully spur more VR development. Like Oculus I'm sure there will also be an exclusive/cool-off period but maybe a win-win for the future of VR once the various hardware options start playing nice.

theBeaz
Jul 11, 2006

GlyphGryph posted:

You didn't, at all, and now look at what you've done. I hope you feel sorry, you jerk.

Anyway, Vive is here, adapters are here, Vive is hooked up and working, everything is amazing.

I am doing more demos at lunch and I can't wait.

I am so very sorry. I'm also very jealous though. Now that Vives are apparently shipping immediately I want to order one but I think the wife would kill me buying another HMD since my Rift is already chilling out waiting for something more worthwhile or Touch. That's okay though... until Witcher 3 or TW: Warhammer have native VR support (gently caress Vorpx) I'm too busy to play with it anyway. Oh and Overwatch and Smite on my PS4. Life is tough, ya know?

Bhodi posted:

There was a video a while back about their imagineering(?) team exploring VR for all sorts of things, testing a new format for 3d video, and I had hoped this would fall out of that.

Shame. That's exactly what I would have expected too. Guess I'm not sad to be locked out of it.

theBeaz
Jul 11, 2006

GlyphGryph posted:

Rifts are still selling for around 850 dollars... around the price of a Vive...

It's basically a free upgrade.

I've considered it but I'll just sit tight for now. Selling it then paying for a pricier HMD setup for a few more VR tech demos just isn't worth it. Fingers crossed that we'll get some Touch info at E3.

theBeaz
Jul 11, 2006

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I don't think he was being serious. :ssh:

His post history shows otherwise. I think the Vive is awesome. I'd love to buy a Vive. I like to hear about the Vive more and its future. And all the other competitors.

Having a Vive-only thread is as dumb as an Oculus-only store.

Long live PSVR.

theBeaz
Jul 11, 2006

DrBox posted:

Spent a while setting up controls again in War Thunder. Jumped into the tutorial to fly around a bit and see how it feels. Must have been a calibration issue with my HOTAS. As soon as it turned over control to me I was fighting with the controls to keep it level. After 10 seconds of spinning uncontrollably, I had to rip off the headset. On the plus side, I'm only about halfway through my giant bag of ginger chews.

All I want is a super chill flight sim with easy controls to fly around in.

Isn't that what "FlyInside FSX" is supposed to be? Or does that mess up the easy controls bit (I've never played it).

As for War Thunder I used to play it religiously with kb+m and I don't have a real HOTAS setup, just an old flight stick. Is it worth trying it again in VR with an Xbox controller or just pass?

theBeaz
Jul 11, 2006

Knifegrab posted:

Knowing Valve you are probably right. And its pretty obvious HTC will do a gen2 but will anyone want one if it can only play half of the games?

Doesn't Steam already have more VR games on it than Home? By virtue of being the largest gaming software distribution platform on PC I don't think you can go wrong with any headset. It should be a foregone conclusion that all future headsets (worth caring about) will have the wherewithal to actually ship with motion controls and as long as they are similar enough all games should be compatible. Oculus will learn or fail just like behemoths like Microsoft do. I guarantee you MS has more invested in Xbox than Facebook does in Oculus and they've pivoted many times.

Between this busted as Rift launch and Steam continuing to have the love of the average PC gamer, they will have to adapt. Who cares if they are lovely right now? It only hurts them, not us.

When Half-Life 2 launched and I had to install this piece of poo poo bloatware called "Steam" I raged at the machine just like you're doing. Today I own 293 (oh my god) games on Steam.

theBeaz
Jul 11, 2006

I'm lucky enough to have a great gaming space in my media room and an easy solution for a safe-zone sans chaperone: a rug!

Most of my friends have their shoes off when using my Rift and basically when they wonder how far they can wander in Farlands or in the Dreamscape I tell them they are safe as long as they stay on it. If you hit the wood floor then you're about to punch the television.

Also someone isn't a "shill" when they say how easily the Rift has been shown to demonstrate roomscale with extension cables. It's no more silly than the expensive mounts people are buying to position lighthouses and kind of the whole deal with enthusiast PC gaming experiences. Is it as accurate as the lighthouses currently? No, doesn't appear to be. Is it good enough - yes, it appears to be. But we're all guessing until the product comes out. Some of you goony loving goons need to chill out. Some of you post how you're "adults" but I have my doubts.

In other news...

House of the Dying Sun is pretty cool. However on the Rift I get a lot more ... stuttering or something than I have in other games (like Elite or Valkyrie). Is this a lack of optimization since it is early access or is it related to SteamVR and lack of that Rift SDK timewarp feature? I run below spec (i5-2500k @ 4GHz/GTX 970) so I'm curious if this will be more common as I adopt more SteamVR games.

theBeaz
Jul 11, 2006

Just checked out "Destinations" on Steam with my Rift. Pretty cool setup for virtual environments. I'm grateful that they put in options for us plebs without motion controls (and the gamepad works great for it). Got to test out my roomscale=rug setup as I walked around the surface of Mars, giant virtual popcorn, and other workshop creations. I really can't wait to have a second camera for more accurate tracking. Going roomscale with a single camera makes tracking get all wobbly. Doesn't make me sick (might affect others) but it does ruin the immersion a bit.

Please announce Touch availability at E3... pleeeeeease.

theBeaz
Jul 11, 2006

Hmmm. No Oculus presentations at the PC Gaming Show. Does that mean we're unlikely to get any real announcements? Any other period of E3 that they could make announcements?

theBeaz
Jul 11, 2006

https://www.oculus.com/en-us/blog/over-30-full-games-launching-with-oculus-touch-this-year/

"This is just the beginning—there are hundreds of additional Touch titles in development, and we’ll share the full Touch lineup and launch details later this fall."

Ugh. This might be as good as we get.

theBeaz
Jul 11, 2006

Lemming posted:

http://theclimbgame.com/blog/first-look-oculus-touch-and-the-climb

Discussion about how they're implementing Touch in The Climb. Looks cool.

I haven't tried The Climb yet but isn't some of the challenge related to applying just the right amount of pressure to the triggers? If so how does this work on Touch? The article may answer this but :effort:

Also for the love of God please release Touch already. "Vive shipping in 2-3 days" advertisements are just killing me. I only went with Rift because of backorder times and the Best Buy loophole. Oh woe is me and my first world problems.

KakerMix posted:

Yeah it isn't the same, but it IS an example of paying-for-exclusivity sort of thing.
As someone who grew up playing the Marathon series, Halo was going to be the holy grail Doom-killer for Mac folks and I couldn't wait. I raged so hard when Microsoft pulled their poo poo and made it a launch title for their console. The I, of course, bought an Xbox and played the game anyway... though obviously what we received wasn't the open world Doom/Tribes game based in the Marathon universe I'd be lying if I said I didn't have a shitload of fun with Halo 1 thru 3.

theBeaz
Jul 11, 2006

Michaellaneous posted:

Well I bought a VIVE.
On a scale from 1 to 10 how stupid am I?

0. You have VR with motion controls so you win!

Speaking of motion controls - Touch vs Wands comparison: http://uploadvr.com/oculus-touch-vs-htc-vive-better-controller/

theBeaz
Jul 11, 2006

According to the Revive developer Oculus has removed the headset check from their DRM. Hopefully this real and permanent. Some of our fellow goons will be able to quit their high blood pressure medication if so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theBeaz
Jul 11, 2006

Considering so many SteamVR Vive games are on sale... are any other Rift owners planning on picking some of them up and crossing fingers for Touch support in the future? Does anyone know of some Vive must-haves that have already stated they will eventually add Touch support?