Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I was thinking just now about how me and my friends used to say we "clocked" games whenever we beat them and was wondering why I've never seen that term online. Is it a regional thing or just something that fell out of fashion in the age of the internet? We also used to call videogame bosses "professors" for some reason. Anyone else know of any regional gamer dialects?

Interested to hear the P'zone's thoughts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
I've never called them "tapes" and it's weird to me whenever someone mentions it. They're always just "carts" or "games".

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I never heard anyone pronounce SNES as "snezz" until Youtube

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Bill Barber posted:

I've never called them "tapes" and it's weird to me whenever someone mentions it. They're always just "carts" or "games".

Tapes is some dumb internet thing, like Vidcons.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial
Final Professor. drat thats badass

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Ristolaz posted:

We also used to call God Mode "Tenure"

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Ristolaz posted:

June is Final Professor Month.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I was thinking just now about how me and my friends used to say we "clocked" games whenever we beat them and was wondering why I've never seen that term online. Is it a regional thing or just something that fell out of fashion in the age of the internet? We also used to call videogame bosses "professors" for some reason. Anyone else know of any regional gamer dialects?

Interested to hear the P'zone's thoughts.

Sounds like soms stupid kiwi crap frigg you

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Pablo Gigante posted:

I never heard anyone pronounce SNES as "snezz" until Youtube

That triggers me! Triggered lmfao

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial

mysterious loyall X posted:

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

People called the PS2 and PS3 the PSDouble and PSTriple because of some youtube video where a guy bought 3 PS3s. That's all I can think of atm

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

When I told my dad that I wanted a PS2 he told me that he needed to P S too.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Evil Eagle posted:

Dad gaming humor ftw

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Evil Eagle posted:

Lol.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Bill Barber posted:

I remember one of my friends parents would call N64 games tapes.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Don't be an rear end in a top hat.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I never heard "Mare-io" until I heard people using that name on gaming podcasts but that's not games-specific.

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

i like how super famicom games refer to them as cassettes on the back labels.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

There were a lot of boss distinctions when I was a kid: bosses, mid-bosses, final bosses. But the one that doesn't seem to have been a thing outside my neighborhood was the "ultra-boss:" any sort of climactic non-final-boss battle, usually with different music. Atma Weapon, Masamune, etc.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Neighbourhood gaming slang ftw.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Evil Eagle posted:

lol that owns

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Shoutout to all the dads who kept our neighborhoods safe while we gamed.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Evil Eagle posted:

lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Tapes is some dumb internet thing, like Vidcons.

Even worse it's a British thing

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oi slap a spot of the spectrum tapes on the telly gov. Cheers mate that's brill.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Kids in my neighborhood called chocobos "chickaboos"

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

C-Euro posted:

I never heard "Mare-io" until I heard people using that name on gaming podcasts but that's not games-specific.

People who say that are stupid

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

In Training posted:

Oi slap a spot of the spectrum tapes on the telly gov. Cheers mate that's brill.

Sexual predators lured unsuspecting children into black vans using popular european game tapes like dizzy the egg and banjoe kazooie amd took them back to Rare Ltd hq

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Sexual predators lured unsuspecting children into black vans using popular european game tapes like dizzy the egg and banjoe kazooie amd took them back to Rare Ltd hq

lmao

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

It's true.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lmao

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Rofl

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

lol

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Love that egg

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Egg. Lol

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Europeans are universally loathsome and its a shame that they werent all wiped oit from the pontus to thewhite cliffs of dover by the mongols

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Oliver Twins gently caress and suck off each other

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Plato: time to invent thinking and enter into a consensual lov8ng realationship with a beautoful ephede

French 80s program÷er: time to invemt a googly eyed egg and abuse lottle boys phusically amd psychologically

• Locked thread