Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I think I tried playing this once but got a bit overwhelmed by the number of units I had to control in one of the early missions.

Anyway, main character called Kevin, eh?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 14:17 on May 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

That's a bit of a schzophrenic difficulty curve we're seeing there. Unless you go heavy on missiles, you lose a random body part every time you attack, and if you roll a hit to Kevin's body it's game over :staredog:

Having only played FM3 and a bit of 4, how similar are the weapons and associated game mechanics? The handheld grenade launcher with infinite ammo looks interesting, but I hope that giant robot knuckledusters are in this game as well, they're probably the most iconic weapon of the series to me.

And one thing I forgot to ask in the FM5 thread (I think, anyway, my memory's rubbish), how much are the different wanzers intended for different roles stat-wise? Like, in FM3 most wanzers fell into one of three categories: terrible movement/HP but high power and accuracy, great for missile launchers; high HP/light weight/awesome movement/mediocre accuracy melee mechs; and mid-movement, mid power, slightly fragile but great accuracy upgrades (machine gunners/snipers). There were a few oddballs that deviated from this but the vast majority followed this pattern. Is FM1 like this or was this one of the many simplifications they made?
This flurry of questions comes off the back of seeing those Pheasant parts, the only drawback seems to be that their weight stat was higher, which means lower melee damage (I think).

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Thank you.

Bummer about the game audio, but it's way better to lose that than your commentary track. Here's a soundtrack suggestion for anyone else in a retro mood: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRSyELsRGl8

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jun 19, 2016

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

They're all pretty traditionally turn-based with the exception of the terrible, terrible foray into 3rd person action that was front mission evolved. 2 (I think), 4 and 5 do some interesting stuff with letting units who have already finished their turns spend their extra leftover AP by helping attack the target of a teammate if they're both in range and assigned to the same squad or something.

So the flamethrower is a big single-shot short range weapon now? Is there much that distinguishes it from a rifle?

Juicy bit of intrigue you got there from the aftermath of that secret mission, weren't you suspiciously close to that factory that got blown up when you intercepted the chopper? I like the future politics and stuff from this series, but if I remember what you told us in the FM5 LP then we're in for a depressing ride. War stories, I guess, aren't something you can expect to be fun and games - but I always find that strangely at odds with how nobody in this series really seems to be worried about two global superpowers going to war. Or seems to understand that being a career soldier in this kind of environment might mean that you're at risk of, you know, actually dying. Or realising that the people you're shooting at with your giant robot machine gun might also actually die. But maybe the naievete is deliberate so they can play up the loss of it for dramatic effect?

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Still catching up on videos here due to being out of town for work, but those missile enemies are assholes, not just because of the relentless ranged attacks, but rather that their base punch damage is ridiculous, leaving you screwed no matter how you choose to deal with them.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I hope you're having a good break. No front mission LP until September? I guess we'll just have to... deal with it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Aug 14, 2016

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Double postin' as I can't delete my original attachment.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Wow, that's a terrible gimmick. But I guess this is an indication of the game's age that someone thought it'd be cool to have a unit wandering the map that one-shots anyone it engages. Also didn't you have a mechanic before?

So is there any reason to favour machine guns over rifles? The sheer damage output from a rifle really seems to put MGs to shame, even taking the odd missed shot into consideration. And yes, Ryuji is one hell of a hero.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

It's a shame that the last front mission game seems to have scuttled the franchise despite being a massive departure from its core gameplay, but a new armored core is always good.
Is that sign in the city background screens supposed to read "LSD"? Huffman seems to have some really liberal policies on drugs, I'm guessing it's like the Amsterdam of the future.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Wow, that mission took a pretty brutal turn once you had no choice but to rush down the cannons. I guess they intended for you to save your missiles, then have your entire team focus down one cannon per turn before engaging the rest of the enemies?
Also, can they use their supply truck the same way you use yours with Royd's squad?

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Nice work with obliterating those last few missions, poo poo is starting to get real for Royd and Kevin. I've been giving FM4 a break for the recent past but think i just ran into a particular character in that campaign which I am, well, kinda surprised to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Yep. I'm still watching and enjoying it, it's interesting from both a plot perspective and also looking at the gameplay itself. Some weird stuff in there, such as how machine guns went from being trash in the start of the game to absolutely wrecking things now, and that long-range sniper rifle falling by the wayside in terms of damage output so quickly without really getting a viable replacement (the grenade launchers just don't seem all that powerful). I thought it was an odd choice giving the sniper character a close-range flamethrower as a secondary weapon, but it makes sense in the light of not getting a decent upgrade to the rifle.

• Locked thread