Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Just got out of this one. I was dragged to it, so that might color my perspective on it, but I seriously disliked it. There were some moderately interesting character interactions near the beginning and the occasional funny disjointed conversation or humorous take on a 'friendly' dystopia (for lack of a better word). Then, about halfway through (relatively minor spoilers) the film starts to focus on the loners who have their own strange customs and live out in the woods, and then they even go to the city where people are sent to the hotel from.

I think I get what it is supposed to be about. My guess is it's about (possible theme spoilers?) the falsity of the structure and tradition of interpersonal relationships and their societal enforcement through lies, but only portions of the film seem to support that theme. That makes me think it could be about something else, but I don't have a clue of a coherent theme that could connect the second half of this movie. The closest I come is talking about (more possible theme spoilers?) loss and going through the motions, fearing becoming less than human? Since most people seem to be in this predicament after losing an existing partner. Maybe being in the woods is supposed to be a spiritual transition to the woods, but I don't think that is well supported either.

I'm left wondering if it's supposed to be some sort of anti-art, but I doubt that as well. It feels too coherent to not be a genuine attempt at art but it's far too incoherent to be a successful one. I'm tempted to say this is a project made by a person who either doesn't know how they feel on a topic (which is okay though I don't think this film is about confusion) or doesn't have anything to say (which isn't okay, just don't make a movie). That might not be fair to say or even accurate, but that is my honest impression.

Overall, it is occasionally clever or funny, but it spends enormous amounts of its two-hour runtime spinning its wheels. I suppose I'm still digesting it, so maybe my feelings will change, but something tells me tomorrow I will feel nothing about this movie. It will go right through me like poo poo through a goose. For the record, that is why I would not choose to become a goose if I failed at this hotel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

hemophilia posted:

if you can tolerate man on man violence you should grow a stomach for this stuff, it's a really cool movie not to be missed for delicate sensibilities.

Just thought I'd chime in with a personal anecdote: when I worked at a movie theater, I'd occasionally get asked by patrons to tell me if certain content was in movies. Obviously not for horror movies where it's obviously going to happen, but just about everything else. You'd think it'd mostly be about nudity or language, but by far and away the most common spoiler request I got from patrons was asking if dogs died during in the movie. If I told them yes, they'd usually change their tickets in to see something else. What I'm saying is that I don't think that sensitivity is uncommon.

Although, to be fair, if you watch up until the offending scene, you've seen like 90% of the good scenes anyway. It becomes a breezy 50 minutes or so. It might be the superior way to view this movie.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The hotel raid scenes were my favorite because they had the most of the deliciously cruel Lars von Trier-esque sadism that I wish was more present in the rest of the film. That whole bit with the gun could be sold as a short film and it would be better than 90% of everything in theaters this year.

My only problem with that scene is that if I recall correctly, that is literally the last time we see those characters or even the hotel at all. If it's meant to have consequences on the system or to shock us by not having consequences, it'd be nice if we could be included on that. If it's supposed to be left to our imagination, then I am going to go the extra mile and imagine I'm watching a better movie.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Here's a fun review by a college sophomore who completely misses the intent behind the movie and every scene they reference: http://cornellsun.com/2016/06/14/the-lobster-youve-been-warned/

Now, I didn't like this movie, but I did sort of feel like I might have missed the point. Turns out I didn't even know what 'missing the point' was. Holy moley.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

grate deceiver posted:

Dumb question, but can anyone tell me the name of the guitar piece played during the makeout scene? I know it's a very popular practice piece, but can't for the life of me remember what it's called.

I don't know music, but on The Lobster's soundtrack page two songs are listed as performed by the actors playing the characters who play the music. One of them appears to be an original composition, so that leaves something called Jeux Interdit. Something called that is on YouTube. It sounds like what I remember.

• Locked thread