Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

I just watched this and I have some questions about the loners. Who's making their rules? Is it the red haired woman? Is she operating independently of the hotel? Why does she try to break people up and punish people who fall in love, does she just want everybody to be alone?

yes

there is no real system, just a whole lot of arbitrary rules someone at some point along the line made up and everyone accepts uncritically as just the way things are. everyone's desperate to belong to something, even if they're just belonging to aloneness.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jun 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Magic Hate Ball posted:

the scene where the woman jumps out the second floor window is funny .

whaddaya know hunter girl had a match after all

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Kangra posted:

we actually have developed a loving relationship not built on matching a superficial trait

I don't think we were watching the same movie

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Magnetic North posted:

My only problem with that scene is that if I recall correctly, that is literally the last time we see those characters or even the hotel at all. If it's meant to have consequences on the system or to shock us by not having consequences, it'd be nice if we could be included on that. If it's supposed to be left to our imagination, then I am going to go the extra mile and imagine I'm watching a better movie.

it has no consequences beyond ruining a couple peoples' lives, just like everything else, and wasn't really intended to

the cinematic Mountain Goats song is not suddenly Divergent

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

lizardman posted:

I'm not sure what the whole animal transformation thing is meant to evoke other than being a colorful conceptual hook. I almost wonder if it's even real (of course I mean 'real' in-universe) or if it's all a hoax, but it doesn't even seem to matter. I feel like you could cut that out entirely and replace it with something like "you'll eventually get shipped off to a deserted island somewhere" and it wouldn't effect anything.

yeah it'd be better if the movie cut all the satire and metaphor (if you can't get a stable relationship you're literally failing out of humanity) and just followed a couple people browsing OKCupid for 90 minutes.

• Locked thread