Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

OhAreThey posted:

Yeah, I think the fact that the loners have rules is just an extension of the metaphors in the film about couples and singles. Being single/a loner doesn't actually mean true freedom--it's just another set of arbitrary rules and obligations just like in the hotel.

I loved The Lobster. Thought it was funny and truly committed to its dark vision. Would definitely warn people about the violence towards animals, especially *that scene*.

Eee. Can you or someone maybe throw the details in a spoiler tag? I've gotten really sensitive to animal stuff recently, but this movie is appealing to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Magic Hate Ball posted:

There's some hunting that goes on, but in one scene a woman kicks a dog to death, and we see the aftermath, which is probably the most horrifying part of the movie.

Aaaaand that's gonna be a hard pass for me.

Thanks.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

hemophilia posted:

if you can tolerate man on man violence you should grow a stomach for this stuff, it's a really cool movie not to be missed for delicate sensibilities.

Eh, it is what is. After some life changes, I've had to switch over to not eating meat and any forms of animal cruelty, even fictional depiction, just stick with me for too long. It's certainly my hangup and I don't fault the filmmaker for doing whatever he thinks is best for his film, but I don't want to lose sleep over it. And yeah, I've heard the whole "you can watch ________ happen to people, but not animals?" thing before. And all I can really do is agree, it's a silly thing I have. And there are hundreds of movies I haven't seen that I want to see, that just don't have this.

If I hadn't heard about this from the thread, I likely would've watched up until it happened, and then stopped watching it.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

timp posted:

Well there's also a donkey getting shot in the head from a distance as the cold open and brief shot or two of rabbits being skinned, but I think that's it for violent animal scenes. And again, all fake

Got it. I don't want to derail the thread any more with this stuff. I do appreciate being filled in though, thanks.

• Locked thread