Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
The new Brave browser automatically blocks ads and trackers, making it faster and safer than your current browser.
Soon, micropayments and better ads will give users and publishers a better deal.

I'm ready to browser faster and safer, Are You, YOSPOS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
i use ie7 on an upatched xp with flash and js on because i'm already plenty brave

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

what a brave stance eich. the first an anti-gay, anti-sjw web-browser

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

brave browser

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

yeah no

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Actually it's almost all C++ and C because it's chromium and Brave is just a configuration which you'd know if you weren't a simultaneously somehow a noob and and old who hates JS.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
chrome/chromium has bad non-native text rendering

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Chrome is the best browser with the best addons, extensions, and interoperability with all the Google services that make organizing my multifaceted life a breeze, so I'll stick with it, OP. To me, heh, it's kind of like WInamp - you can DL and install all the drat skins you like, but in end? you always gotta go back to that badass stock skin when it comes time to really whip the llama's rear end.

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

emoji posted:

Actually it's almost all C++ and C because it's chromium and Brave is just a configuration which you'd know if you weren't a simultaneously somehow a noob and and old who hates JS.

By that reasoning slack, atom and all the other lovely electron or whatever apps are also almost all C and C++. Doesn't seem to help them much either.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Triglav posted:

chrome/chromium has bad non-native text rendering

chrome's text rendering looks fine. did you mean to say edge?

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

nope, chromes custom text rendering engine produces thinner font weights than the native text rendering engines of osx windows and linux

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
the brave little browser

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Mad Wack posted:

Soon, micropayments and better ads will give users and publishers a better deal.

lmbo

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Triglav posted:

nope, chromes custom text rendering engine produces thinner font weights than the native text rendering engines of osx windows and linux

interesting.

one of these is word, the other is chrome.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Triglav posted:

duTrieux. posted:

interesting.

man I thought i was crazy this is good to know

EndlessRagdoll
May 20, 2016

Is this that insane browser that wants to block regular ads and replace them with new ads?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

It aims to block website trackers and remove intrusive internet advertisements, replacing them with ads sold by Eich's company. The browser also strives to improve online privacy by sharing less data with advertising customers, instead targetingweb ads through analysis of users' anonymizedbrowsing history.

Brave.

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
guy who is really mad about who you gently caress: "i care about your privacy"

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

firefox for work, safari for play :smug:

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker

wasm

im wasmin' here

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Smythe posted:

Chrome is the best browser with the best addons, extensions, and interoperability with all the Google services that make organizing my multifaceted life a breeze, so I'll stick with it, OP. To me, heh, it's kind of like WInamp - you can DL and install all the drat skins you like, but in end? you always gotta go back to that badass stock skin when it comes time to really whip the llama's rear end.

source: me

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

brendan eich has released a browser branded for privacy that replaces content creators ads with his own based on tracking

brendan eich has named this browser "brave"

i am no longer able to discern yospos from reality

computer, arch

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
so long brave browser

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

more like dICK posted:

guy who is really mad about who you gently caress: "i care about your privacy"

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

duTrieux. posted:

interesting.

Yeah it's bad.

I realized this a while ago and tried to fix it for like an hour before giving up.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
say what you wanna say

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

rest of series

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

tazjin posted:

By that reasoning slack, atom and all the other lovely electron or whatever apps are also almost all C and C++. Doesn't seem to help them much either.

The difference is that those apps implement their application logic in JS on top of the browser, where the core application logic here is the browser. Why do I need to point this point?

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

i feel like they should make React Native for OS X and be rid of these web views.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

is "they" aaple or facebook

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

emoji posted:

The difference is that those apps implement their application logic in JS on top of the browser, where the core application logic here is the browser. Why do I need to point this point?

The product "Brave Browser", independent of its underlying components, is a Javascript application with its entire application logic implemented in Javascript.

code:
/tmp/browser-laptop (git)-[master] % find . -name "*.js" | xargs cat | wc -l
Suuure, it's really just a 67k line config file for Chromium CEF Electron (well, or will be after you run it through NPM - the string concat helper).

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

tazjin posted:

The product "Brave Browser", independent of its underlying components, is a Javascript application with its entire application logic implemented in Javascript.

code:
Suuure, it's really just a 67k line config file for Chromium CEF Electron (well, or will be after you run it through NPM - the string concat helper).

All it is a 'deeper' chrome extension.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Triglav posted:

is "they" aaple or facebook

facebook and or the open source community

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

emoji posted:

All it is a 'deeper' chrome extension.

I ran NPM now (it failed) but it would like to let you know that

code:

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Triglav posted:

it also doesn't display colors correctly

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin
brave is a bad browser name. it is possibly a worse name than vivaldi

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

in true tech Bublé fashion it's thing-but-with-a-middle-man funded by a gross idiot with bad ideas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Power Ambient posted:

brave is a bad browser name. it is possibly a worse name than vivaldi

actually seems to fit with with names like "Edge" and "Chrome"

• Locked thread