Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps
The United States Navy: A GLOBAL FORCE.... FOR GOOD

A TIE fighter flying by would not have been out of place in that commercial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I mean yeah the military does do a lot of humanitarian work actually that is true (disaster responders and stuff like that) but still that one was really heavy handed.

Oh they nixed it but their reasoning is really funny to me:

quote:

"We've been phasing out the global force for good tagline over the past year," said Cmdr. Chris Servello, spokesman for the chief of naval personnel. "It's not that we aren't a global force for good, but rather that the tagline alone doesn't capture all of who we really are, as a Navy, that led to the decision to phase it out over time."

Does that sound like 'well we do good but you know lol sometimes we gotta do some evil too' to anyone else?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Fun fact, the US has never won a war it started.

Aug 4, 2010

Jerry Mumphrey posted:

i hope we lose a war to a race of terrible amazon women and they enslave our dicks

hell yea

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

happyhippy posted:

US-Mexico or US-Philippine war?

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Roylicious posted:

I mean yeah the military does do a lot of humanitarian work actually that is true (disaster responders and stuff like that) but still that one was really heavy handed.

Oh they nixed it but their reasoning is really funny to me:

Does that sound like 'well we do good but you know lol sometimes we gotta do some evil too' to anyone else?

In the Navy's defense, they probably have the lowest incident of collateral damage and are normally the ones doing most of the work for humanitarian issues

The Air Force on the other hand...

happyhippy posted:

We've won all the wars we started except Vietnam. Then we gently caress around with COIN and leave once we realize no one cares about actually fixing the problem and just leave the locals to do the same thing all over again

Also, we totally started the Banana wars, Spanish American war and The Late Night wars and won them very handily

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

happyhippy posted:

Operation Urgent Fury?

Iraq v2.0? (which was a crushing military victory and unending clusterfuck of an occupation)

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Roylicious posted:

US-Mexico or US-Philippine war?

Mexico/Philippines invaded/declared war first on the US if wikipedia is right.
Not exactly the US starting them, they won sure but didn't start them.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
Those local ads you see (billboards, radio, broadcast TV, ect) are paid for by the recruiter in that area.

As long as they meet the quota they get active duty pay + benefits + commission + a job that doesn't involve the normal military butt fingering games.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

happyhippy posted:

Go read up on William Randolph Hearst and realize nothing has really changed

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I've seen quite a few ads in Ukraine. But they have an excuse, what with the war and all. Haven't noticed anywhere else in Europe, though they do stuff like air force days that basically act as PR campaigns.

Seeing all the military tech ads in the DC subway for the first time was super surreal though when I visited. Felt like I was in some sort of cyberpunk nightmare where killer robots had their own ad campaigns, except it was completely real.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

happyhippy posted:

Mexico-US was us sending troops near the border then claiming Mexico killed them on OUR side of the border which started the war but what the wiki fails to really make evident is that this was a total ploy on the part of the US government (and where the soldiers actually were or even WHO killed them is in question). Abraham Lincoln actually wrote quite a diatribe indicting the US government of this. He openly questioned the purpose of sending troops and also their location at the time of their death.

So... nah we started that one. We wanted their territory and manufactured a cassus belli to take it.

The US-Philippine war was more tricky - we got handed the Philippines from Spain as part of the treaty ending the US-Spanish war. The locals however were in the middle of fighting for independence and they then said 'well screw you too Americans' but then we pushed their poo poo in but good. So I guess I don't know if you could say we started that one but I dunno that you could say the Philippines started it either.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Still lost as you now have Texas.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

happyhippy posted:

Still lost as you now have Texas.

Well, yeah touche.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

mobby_6kl posted:

I've seen quite a few ads in Ukraine. But they have an excuse, what with the war and all. Haven't noticed anywhere else in Europe, though they do stuff like air force days that basically act as PR campaigns.

Seeing all the military tech ads in the DC subway for the first time was super surreal though when I visited. Felt like I was in some sort of cyberpunk nightmare where killer robots had their own ad campaigns, except it was completely real.

The ads for US military contractors aren't for most of the public, just potential employees and investors. Occasionally they'll get ad time on a specific TV show because they know some of the DoD guys choosing who wins which contract watches it. They only need to get a few people with each ad, not like McDonalds that looks for astronomically large numbers of people seeing and acting on them

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
Strong. Proud. Today's Canadian Forces. *tricrest logo*

edit: Actually the Canadian Forces commercials aren't too bad. They don't go OH CANADA GOT SAVE THE QUEEN OH SAY CAN YOU SEE or anything. They're usually a bunch of people doing cool things with appropriate music and not much talking.

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010
They had some commercials on TV here in sweden a couple of years ago, when they were looking for peeps for the officers education. If I remember right it was cool clips of cool macho stuff and then a narrator tellin the audience "No this is not what we do".

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Top Gun is still the best recruitment ad ever made

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Booblord Zagats posted:

The ads for US military contractors aren't for most of the public, just potential employees and investors. Occasionally they'll get ad time on a specific TV show because they know some of the DoD guys choosing who wins which contract watches it. They only need to get a few people with each ad, not like McDonalds that looks for astronomically large numbers of people seeing and acting on them

Oh, certainly, they were clearly targeted st the DC bigwigs who might be travelling to/from work. So maybe this doesn't exactly match the original question bitbInthink it's in that spirit.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

mobby_6kl posted:

Oh, certainly, they were clearly targeted st the DC bigwigs who might be travelling to/from work. So maybe this doesn't exactly match the original question bitbInthink it's in that spirit.

Nah, I wasn't critizing your post. I just have people ask sometimes why McD/Boeing is running ads during football games when Im at the bar, so I went to spergo-explain-bot mode automatically

Ireland Sucks
May 16, 2004

The Royal Marines ran with '99.9% need not apply', but then 99.9% didn't.

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Tuxedo Gin posted:

even weirder than military commercials are the commercials from military industrial complex megacorps

they don't have anything to sell consumers and yet occasionally there'll be a lockheed or bae commercial

because if they just straight-up paid the media to avoid scrutiny or criticism of their companies that would be unethical, but running millions of dollars in ads is A-OK

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Airborne Viking posted:

Strong. Proud. Today's Canadian Forces. *tricrest logo*

edit: Actually the Canadian Forces commercials aren't too bad. They don't go OH CANADA GOT SAVE THE QUEEN OH SAY CAN YOU SEE or anything. They're usually a bunch of people doing cool things with appropriate music and not much talking.

they show ppl rescuing boats and stuff instead of crashing helicopters and being killed by US friendly fire

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

paul_soccer10 posted:

they show ppl rescuing boats and stuff instead of crashing helicopters and being killed by US friendly fire

or sex scandals, and wing commanders raping/murdering subordinates

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

The s Swedish military seems like a good place to have casual hook ups with handsome men. Confirm/Deny?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
No because they'd be really sad.

Look at this cool killing machine we have! Well it doesn't run because we can't afford the parts. Also we can't afford any ammo. But trust us it would be really cool if it worked!

NihilismNow fucked around with this message at 21:10 on May 26, 2016

• Locked thread