Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
This thread is for discussion of all things crowdfunded, from Kickstarter to Indiegogo. Post links to your Kickstarter here along with your pitch, draft Kickstarters you need advice on, and trad game Kickstarters you've seen and liked.

THE RULES

1. If you have a Kickstarter and you'd like to see it discussed, make your pitch here and people who are looking for things to fund or new games can check it out.

2. Once it has been funded you can go ahead and start your own thread since it is, with the aid of your fellow TG crew, likely a published game in its own right and you are now a famous game designer!

3. This is for discussion and announcement of trad game projects. Discussion on how Kickstarter or the industry works in general is better suited to the Industry Thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
From the old thread:

The General posted:

The boardgame Shogun uses a tower for resolution. Cubes get stuck in there, when you battle. Take the armies battling, toss them in the tower and pray lots of yours pop out.

I could see it being used for an RPG rule set too. Hmm.

that's what I meant as a cube tower and the idea would be: Players A (and possibly B) puts dice in, and gets the rolled results out which may or may not be the amount of dice they put in initially or belonging to them. It wouldn't and shouldn't be for task resolution fwiw. It'd be for using dice as numbered counters that can emerge randomly as opposed to just putting chits in a bag or something and then rolling a die.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Red Markets dudes, zombies + idiotic tech bro capitalism isn't an amazing new idea worth universal adoration. Your pledge levels are messed up, your concept is Random Zombie RPG #11,453 (but with Economics this time!!!), and you seem to think you're above criticism. If you're such great writers/producers/whatever, you might want to act better than Bob and his amazing D&D heartbreaker (hint: it has really good economy rules in it!)

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I dunno Arivia, "economic horror" seems like a concept worth digging into, especially in today's world. Very relatable. If I understand what they are trying to do correctly, dying by zombie bite is just a metaphoric way to die of the myriad ways poor people die of. Plus I like games in which you have to consider economic factors for your actions.

I actually wanted to listen to those podcasts they mentioned but the link didn't work for me.

And what does "idiotic tech bro capitalism" even mean?

While we are on the subject, there was talk of zombie media being co-opted by so-called libertarians: what is that all about? I know that certain conservative gun nuts are all over them because they justify their firearm collection and allow them to shoot at people who are different than them with impunity, but not that one.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 08:53 on May 26, 2016

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike

Arivia posted:

Red Markets dudes, zombies + idiotic tech bro capitalism isn't an amazing new idea worth universal adoration. Your pledge levels are messed up, your concept is Random Zombie RPG #11,453 (but with Economics this time!!!), and you seem to think you're above criticism. If you're such great writers/producers/whatever, you might want to act better than Bob and his amazing D&D heartbreaker (hint: it has really good economy rules in it!)

I'm not quite that adversarial on the topic, but I essentially agree with the sentiment. I've been commenting because I was literally going to hit that button to pledge and then went ack when I saw the levels. Like I said, a $5 bump from pdf level to sc and $10 for hc is reasonable and in line with other Kickstarters (which do give bonus material). You can totally add levels if you really wanted to, just not change tiers and people who really love you would stay there. But the way it is (dubious pricing, far off delivery date, pod plus contemplating a print run too?) is not my cup of tea, which is unfortunate as I find the concept worth a look.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Since the project has been funded, I'd like to point out that Red Markets does have its own dedicated thread now.

paradoxGentleman posted:

While we are on the subject, there was talk of zombie media being co-opted by so-called libertarians: what is that all about? I know that certain conservative gun nuts are all over them because they justify their firearm collection and allow them to shoot at people who are different than them with impunity, but not that one.

A zombie apocalypse posits a situation where the government has been drowned in a bathtub (by zombies) and rugged individualism (read: libertarians) rule the day. There's a heavy intersect (insofar as libertarians and conservatives are themselves heavily intertwined in US politics) between what you said about it being a prime opportunity for conservative gun nuts to fantasize about shooting people different from them - the leap to libertarianism is when the collapse of society allows these same gun nuts to also exert economic coercion on the humans that are left.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

paradoxGentleman posted:

I dunno Arivia, "economic horror" seems like a concept worth digging into, especially in today's world. Very relatable. If I understand what they are trying to do correctly, dying by zombie bite is just a metaphoric way to die of the myriad ways poor people die of. Plus I like games in which you have to consider economic factors for your actions.

I actually wanted to listen to those podcasts they mentioned but the link didn't work for me.

The Brutalists is the campaign released where Caleb is the GM playtests the Beta rules for RPPR. Another podcast series will be released at some point where Caleb is the player and Ross puts the thumbscrews to him and everyone else.

http://actualplay.roleplayingpublicradio.com/category/systems/red-markets/

If you want a different perspective on how Red Market's plays, try the very good Technical Difficulties Gaming podcast. They have 11 episodes up of Red Markets and also play Call of Cthulhu and Eclipse Phase.

http://www.technicaldifficultiespod.com/

If anyone is interested in how to develop their own rpg product from idea to market through all of the crazy trials and tribulations, I highly recommend the "Game Designers Workshop Series". Aka "loving up in real time" It's also a real time diary of sorts where you get to hear the Agony and the Ecstasy.

http://slangdesign.com/rppr/category/game-designer-workshop/

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
From previous thread.

The Driftwood Verses

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3565139&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=328#post460241911

Ravencult posted:

Buddy of mine has a new RPG KS that's already more than half-funded, but I worked on it and it reminds of Sunless Sea so it gets a plug.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/464014331/the-driftwood-verses

quote:

quote:
The Driftwood Verses is a gloomy, nautical fantasy campaign setting for old-school tabletop role-playing games. It's directly compatible with Lamentations of the Flame Princess and more broadly compatible with a large selection of traditional systems.

The setting was conceived as a Dark Sun-esque re-skinning of standard D&D tropes, starting with the conceit that "whales are dragons." It has since developed into something well beyond that original idea. The major inspirations include stuff like Moby Dick, Dishonored, Sunless Sea, Dune, The Scar, and the Monster Blood Tattoo series.

The book focuses on a blighted maritime region called Walfismeer. It's an impressionistic fantasy setting, a collection of symbols and metaphors come to life. Anachronisms abound. Grizzled mariners pilot haunted, tentacle-powered iron ships across a sludge-poisoned sea. Sinister roachmen quad-wield black powder pistols in hungry cities ruled by vice and bloodsport. Secretly trained navigators employ esoteric disciplines to guide vessels across a mysterious psychic barrier called The Reef. Desperate meerfolk raise sonorous hymns to Leviathan in deep-sea, whale-corpse cathedrals.

Trigger Discipline

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3565139&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=327#post460133339

Claytor posted:

I've already picked up a couple of banner ads on the site for it, but I'd like to draw people's attention to the Kickstarter for Trigger Discipline, a gun sword dueling game made by some friends of mine.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/833494208/trigger-discipline

The game is a real labor of love from a couple of guys who are big fans of dueling games, and they've been careful to find new ways to emulate the fighting-game-on-a-board feel without just unnecessarily reinventing the wheel. Also, the art is easily some of the best I've seen in a game that's a first-time Kickstarter.

If you're not sure if you're into the idea of owning another dueling game, kicking in at the five dollar tier gets you a print-and-play version of the game with four of the game's eight playable characters.

Ankur-Kingdom of the Gods

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1191819023/ankur-kingdom-of-the-gods-rpg

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3565139&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=328#post460258608

Hiro Protagonist posted:

So I found this game called Ankur-Kingdom of the Gods and it's basic premise is Sumer during the ancient aliens conspiracy. It seems like it could be kind of pulpy fun, if it doesn't take itself too seriously.

Red Markets

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/159466030/red-markets

gradenko_2000 posted:

Red Markets is a game about economic horror.

The players are survivalists living in the written-off section of the United States after a zombie apocalypse wrecks everything west of the Appalachians. Their goal is to barter, scavenge, earn and otherwise take enough profit to retire back where civilization still exists.

I have a very high opinion of the mechanics of this game, as economic horror is represented by your stats, your equipment and even your humanity as points that are either spent directly, or consumed in the course of your adventures. Money regenerates these, but there's never enough to go around, and basic maintenance and bare necessities introduce a minimum amount of profit that you need to make on every adventure just to be able to get through your day, and Lord help you if you can't pay the bills.

The dice mechanic I also really like: you roll two d10s, one red and one black, and succeed if the black is higher than the red, with things like skills and extra effort adding to the black die. It's very reminiscent of what I like about roll-under systems where the GM never has to think about setting a DC, but with more room for advancement.

Role Playing Public Radio has multiple Actual Play episodes of the beta test rules.

I'm probably really underselling it (I'm sorry clockworkjoe!) but this is just about my most anticipated TG KS ever.

http://actualplay.roleplayingpublicradio.com/tag/the-brutalists/

clockworkjoe posted:

Thanks! We really appreciate the support. It's actually west of the Mississippi river, but the setting is pretty malleable. We just posted a new podcast about structuring the Kickstarter's stretch goals and whatnot: http://slangdesign.com/rppr/2016/05/game-designer-workshop/game-designer-workshop-episode-12-dream-just-the-right-amount/

Keep in mind Caleb and I have been talking about Red Markets since 2013 - we have a whole series on the RPPR podcast about its design and many iterations: http://slangdesign.com/rppr/category/game-designer-workshop/

After the Brutalists campaign, I will post a campaign for Red Markets that I ran earlier this year. It's a great hybrid between a traditional RPG and a storytelling game because it adds in work/life balance (role play scenes with loved ones/dependents to regain humanity/sanity back), team social combat/negotiation (every player, even non-social focused characters can help the negotiator get bonuses when haggling for the price of their next job), and pure survival horror (multiple types of zombies - slow Romero ones, fast running 28 days laters murder machines, and monstrous aberrants with unique abilities).

The most important of them all....drum roll please....

Remember goon Chip Cheezum (of Lets Play)? You yes YOU can have what you always wanted.

Your very own :pcgaming: The Men of Game Development 2017 CALENDAR !!!! :pcgaming:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nogoblin/men-of-game-development-2017

IN GLORIOUS HD

quote:

About this project

The Grand Canyon. Mount Everest. The Great Barrier Reef. You know them as some of the seven natural wonders in the world.

When you see the Men of Game Development for 2017, you'll need to make room for another twelve.

Aren't you lucky to be living in the digital age?

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Also from the last thread here is the thing I said about my gamebook KS, Star Bastards:

SIB posted:

Hello, I would like to plug my goon project here. It's called Star Bastards and it's a solo adventure gamebook, kind of like the Fighting Fantasy series in that it has some light stat management but it plays differently because the mechanics don't work the same way. It's a chase story set in a crummy part of the galaxy where you either play as the guy on the run or the cop that's trying to bring him in. It's effectively two 200-paragraph stories that share mechanics and game assets like item cards and the co-pilot roster. Also both of those stories are pretty funny because everyone you encounter is a complete bastard and mostly out ofr themselves, hence the name.

It's been doing good on Kickstarter and hit its modest funding goal pretty quickly, now I'm working on stretch goals and trying to improve things before the project comes to an end in a few weeks. Anyway if you're hunting around for something to fund maybe you'll enjoy it!

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...dventure-gamebo

and here is a thing Helical Nightmares said about it:

Helical Nightmares posted:

:toot:Hahaha. I enjoyed Sword of the Bastard Elf. I thought you did find a crazy book from the 80's in an attic and decided to do a Lets Play of it. So I was confused when I saw this kickstarter. "Did he buy the rights to Two-Fisted Fantasy off the original writer?":negative:

Sword of the Bastard Elf is goldmined: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3727561

Void Racers is goldmined: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3741940

From the Kickstarter: Johnny is Eternal

Some Sword of the Bastard Elf stuff

Totally worth it for $12 -22. Good luck Mr. Skull. :allears:

The thing's still going good, it's gone over 400% and it's not quite halfway done yet.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Real glad I dropped into this thread, because Trigger Discipline looks sweet and I'm gonna back it. I never thought I'd want a tactical dueling game specifically about absurd gun-weapon hybrids but, well, here we are.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I ended up dropping my pledge for kind of a shallow reason... All the skill cards of a character or weapon have the same art, so all the Robo Samurai cards have the same art and all the Robo Katana cards have the same art as well. I find that kind of lame and uninspired.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, that's kind of a shame. Any stretch goals to fix that, or is that just how it's gonna be thanks to the Kickstarter budget?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I have no idea. If they do fix it I'll re-pledge for sure though. I put a reminder in case that happens.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Harrow posted:

Yeah, that's kind of a shame. Any stretch goals to fix that, or is that just how it's gonna be thanks to the Kickstarter budget?
Nah, they said that's the final look to the cards.
I'm just a bit disappointed that the KS didn't get any real traction (and the reward tiers are annoying). I'm considering dropping out, too, but I'll see if anything interesting happens in a week or two.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

It's a cool looking game, but I'm not sure that I really need another 1v1 fighting board-game in my life. I'm also somewhat concerned about balancing all of the possible character and weapon combinations. That's a lot of design space for things to sneak through.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
So I posted this in the last thread, and I kind of wanted to talk about it. Apparently, the guy who makes this same is a believer in the ancient aliens conspiracy. This is weird to me, because despite a love of all that good conspiracy weirdness, I don't believe any of that crazy poo poo. The game looks interesting, but not perfect or anything, and I'm tempted to pledge a bit, but I don't know, I feel weird pledging to a Kickstarter for a game this guy thinks is based on reality.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Hiro Protagonist posted:

So I posted this in the last thread, and I kind of wanted to talk about it. Apparently, the guy who makes this same is a believer in the ancient aliens conspiracy. This is weird to me, because despite a love of all that good conspiracy weirdness, I don't believe any of that crazy poo poo. The game looks interesting, but not perfect or anything, and I'm tempted to pledge a bit, but I don't know, I feel weird pledging to a Kickstarter for a game this guy thinks is based on reality.

Eh. There are worse nutty things to believe in. Unless the guy's an anti-Semite or something (sadly common among conspiracy weirdos) I wouldn't be terribly worried about it. Unless you're concerned he might flake on actually fulfilling, which I think I would be.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The recent updates to the Red Markets kickstarter have elaborated more about the mechanics of the game:

The character sheet and what the various stats are and mean

The red-and-black d10 dice mechanic

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Holy poo poo. Say what you will about him, but John Wick is a loving machine.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
So here's an interesting one: 3D Bases.

First off, not bases. Second, I thought "Yeah they look kind of nice, but who the hell wants to lug around 24 heavy plastic 1'x1' tiles to the game store?"

Then I scrolled down and watched the stress test video - the tiles are some sort of hybrid plastic/rubber that you can twist the hell out of and it returns to the original shape with little to no deformation (as far as I could see, anyway.)

They're pretty pricey for the ruins tiles (a 4'x4' table would hit the $320 USD mark,) but it's a pretty neat concept.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Yeah, I appreciate all the thought and work put into something like 7th Sea 2E or Red Markets than I do feel like any of critiques outweigh them, which means a lot when it comes to games of any type or hell, any creative work.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

dwarf74 posted:

Holy poo poo. Say what you will about him, but John Wick is a loving machine.

What happened?

jadarx
May 25, 2012
7th Sea 2E

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/johnwickpresents/7th-sea-second-edition/posts/1587796

Looks like nearly complex core rulebook pdf will be sent to backers for review with a possible Gencon release.

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
yeah received my copy today

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Covok posted:

What happened?
Yeah, he's sending a complete 7th Sea 2e pdf out already.

He's probably going to get all like 13 or whatever books out before Far West, at this rate.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

dwarf74 posted:

Yeah, he's sending a complete 7th Sea 2e pdf out already.

He's probably going to get all like 13 or whatever books out before Far West, at this rate.

Considering Far West is vaporware, that is a very achievable goal.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I'm kinda shocked I have the 7th Sea core rulebook to read before I have the GM stuff for Delta Green.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Covok posted:

Considering Far West is vaporware, that is a very achievable goal.

Okay, bad example.

How about before Project:Dark?

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

jadarx posted:

7th Sea 2E

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/johnwickpresents/7th-sea-second-edition/posts/1587796

Looks like nearly complex core rulebook pdf will be sent to backers for review with a possible Gencon release.

Well, who will sacrifice themself to the masses and review it for FATAL & Friends´16?
The people need to know the amount of WICKedness it may/may not contain!

Mr.Misfit fucked around with this message at 21:25 on May 27, 2016

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
John Wick more like John Woke amirite?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Mr.Misfit posted:

Well, who will sacrifice themself to the masses and review it for FATAL & Friends´16?
The people need to know the amount of WICKedness it may/may not contain!

Wasn't Morse Rattus the 7th sea fan or was that someone else.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Missed an opportunity to use the term "transmedia" in the title there Ettin

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

berzerkmonkey posted:

So here's an interesting one: 3D Bases.

First off, not bases. Second, I thought "Yeah they look kind of nice, but who the hell wants to lug around 24 heavy plastic 1'x1' tiles to the game store?"

Then I scrolled down and watched the stress test video - the tiles are some sort of hybrid plastic/rubber that you can twist the hell out of and it returns to the original shape with little to no deformation (as far as I could see, anyway.)

They're pretty pricey for the ruins tiles (a 4'x4' table would hit the $320 USD mark,) but it's a pretty neat concept.

I always wish you could get these with grids.

They do look great for straight war gaming though. Wonder how the flexibility goes with paint?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I'm enjoying 7th Sea so far, but I'm only 100 pages in. There's still some Wickery in stuff like the Inismore section or people's opinions on Vodacce, but it's relatively subdued.

I haven't really dug keep into the rules yet, we'll see how that goes. Yes, the dice mechanic is dodgy, but I don't think it's a deal-breaker in and of itself.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

jadarx posted:

7th Sea 2E

Nearly complete and there's a Google doc for submitting any additional errors their editors may have missed.

I'm looking through it now and the rules and systems are largely the same from the preview. I don't remember 1e enough to recall systemic changes, but there's probably more than a few. There's a corruption system that triggers off of players not being heroic or through certain Sorcery actions. The sorceries have been changed too from my recollection. The Castilles don't have their fire magic and the Eisen have their own now among other changes. There's rules for sailing and having your own boat as part of the core.

The GM section has this which is nice:

quote:

“I’M A BEGINNER, TOO!”
The first time you sit down to run 7th Sea for your players, be sure to remind them that this is the first time you’ve run the game—perhaps even the first time you’ve ever been a Game Master. You’re bound to make mistakes, but you’ll be sure to correct them quickly and keep the game moving. Remember, these are your friends. They’ll understand.

Edit: There's also a passionate kiss between two men in the Advantages section, so I'm sure there's going to be some grognard huffery about that.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 00:43 on May 28, 2016

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I'm enjoying 7th Sea so far, but I'm only 100 pages in. There's still some Wickery in stuff like the Inismore section or people's opinions on Vodacce, but it's relatively subdued.

I haven't really dug keep into the rules yet, we'll see how that goes. Yes, the dice mechanic is dodgy, but I don't think it's a deal-breaker in and of itself.

I really wish it wasn't formatted in the two-page layout, reading like that is a pain, and probably not feasible on my tablet.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wasn't having much trouble reading it on my phone, though I have a large phone.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
So the original 7th Sea didn't have sailing rules in the core rulebook? What?!

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Arivia posted:

So the original 7th Sea didn't have sailing rules in the core rulebook? What?!

Despite the name it had nothing to do with seas and was about three musketeer action. There was basically no support for boats, no new world, nothing except for a short lived spinoff tcg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

That's flatly wrong. The very first book (the Players Guide) had rules for ship design and sailing. Pirate Nations was also one of the first supplements.

It's not that it didn't have anything to do with seas, it's that it was bad at justifying their use as a plot element, given it took place on a single continent without a single isthmus. That was the key problem. The new map goes a long way to fixing that.