Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
If somehow it’s Notch, I’m gonna laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

A big player, deep pockets, recent willingness to take on other people's designs, but the company is often synonymous with its head? Can't be anyone other than Jamey Stonemaier of Stegmaier Games.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I don't have any skin in this game, but lol at making a financial/fulfillment announcement to your backers into some kind of dumb ARG

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Jedit posted:

I can see it being Awaken Realms also, though. Sandy mentioned "new realms to conquer" and that's exactly the type of veiled reference he likes to slip in.

I concur. Cthulhu Wars is the type of game AR would enjoy getting their grubby little piss-stained AI-mangled hands on.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Didn't they do this previously where the angel investor disappeared? Or is this a continuation of that prior incident? Even if this is the first time, it seems like one of those things that you shouldn't announce without something more substantial to say or show.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Magnetic North posted:

I concur. Cthulhu Wars is the type of game AR would enjoy getting their grubby little piss-stained AI-mangled hands on.

Well, we wrung a little more info out of Link.

1) It is not Awaken Realms, it's a new company.

2) It is not a rich celebrity gamer like Henry Cavill or Vin Diesel.

3) The benefactor has appeared on MythBusters, but may not be credited.

3a) It's probably not Barack Obama.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
CMON finally launched their God of War game, and the campaign just feels very sloppy
https://gamefound.com/en/projects/cmon/god-of-war

There’s no gameplay videos, or even really a walkthrough of gameplay. They have this highlight section that I guess aims to explain the game, but it’s literally, “set up the game. Play cards to perform actions. Roll the reward dice.” From the pictures of the boards & cards, I’m sure you can intuit how it’ll work, but this is just a weird oversight. It also took me a long time to realize, this is only a two player game. It’s listed as 1-4 players, but I was just confused about how that would work with only two featured heroes. There’s no explanation that 4 player mode requires the expansion, unless you go into the big pledge, and examine the details of the expansion pack. Which also introduces a new mechanic with forging items that has zero explanation!

And then, at the top where it shows off the two pledge options (with & without the expansion and stretch goals), it says that the pledge with expansion won’t raise the shipping. But the shipping chart is split into two price points for each pledge. And also, good God, some of those prices.

I wasn’t really interested in picking this up, but they’ve been hyping this one for months. I don’t know how they’d make such a lackluster campaign after all this time. But it funded on the first day anyway, so I guess none of that matters…

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Your last sentence is the answer to your confusion.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Desfore posted:

There’s no gameplay videos, or even really a walkthrough of gameplay.

It doesn't sound like they're very good about communicating with content creators - Mike from One Stop Coop Shop said he reached out (since it is, after all, a coop game) and they did respond (which apparently they often don't) to say there wasn't a prototype but they had a TTS demo...and then never actually provided him with access to it. Maybe before the campaign ends. Who knows.

Me, I'll probably pass, never been that impressed with CMON. But playthroughs have an outside chance of getting my attention.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

malkav11 posted:

Me, I'll probably pass, never been that impressed with CMON. But playthroughs have an outside chance of getting my attention.

The easy trick for telling if a CMON game is bad is to look at how many minis are needed to play the game. The less there are, the better the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screaming_Gremlin
Dec 26, 2005

Look at him. Dude's a stone-cold badass.
They did provide a copy of the rulebook, so it isn't the worst crowdfunding that I have seen. But I agree, the actual GF page does a terrible job of explaining what the hell you are actually doing.

Jedit posted:

The easy trick for telling if a CMON game is bad is to look at how many minis are needed to play the game. The less there are, the better the game.

I did hear that Dune: War for Arrakis actually turned out surprisingly well, despite all the minis. I haven't had a chance to play it myself. I have one friend who actually backed it, but when we were setting up the game to play, he realized his copy was missing an entire tray of necessary components. We ended up just playing SW Rebellion instead.

I think it has been two to three months since and he is still waiting to receive the replacement parts from CMON. They do email him updates on the status every week, letting him know they still aren't ready...