Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

malkav11 posted:

So, significant Darkest Night 2E update today. In short, they've decided to waive all gameplay-related stretch goals and just pack all of that into every 2E box regardless of whether they reach the previously set goals or not (though non-gameplay stretch goals like the organizer and engraved dice, etc remain in play). But the flip side of that is that they are now only intending to print enough copies to fulfill the Kickstarter with some wiggle room for replacements, etc. So if you were planning to wait and pick it up in stores, that's probably not going to be possible unless the store backed the Kickstarter.
Ugnnnnn, I want it with the miniatures but like $170 after shipping is crazy high. If it was like $120 after shipping, maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

JazzFlight posted:

Ugnnnnn, I want it with the miniatures but like $170 after shipping is crazy high. If it was like $120 after shipping, maybe.

If it helps, remember that this is the base game, all the content from the five first edition expansions, -and- at least another expansion or two worth of cards.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
Wow, thats...a difficult choice. I was really thinking about backing Darkest Night, but the shipping cost is pretty high (:japan:) and I was thinking that maybe I'd order it down the line once its released rather than paying now and waiting so long I might lose interest.

Sadly I'm not sure I really want to take the risk, so it looks like I might have to just let it pass. A shame since I love co-op games so much.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Hauki posted:

Oh hey, the last 25% of my click clack lumberjack finally shipped after only 9 months of delays, stubborn lack of communication and reused components from the previous game.

You'd think for a game that was literally already published minus minor rules changes and given that they apparently still had components sitting around a warehouse from that publication they were planning on reusing, it would've been a little smoother.

Lucky you. I just got Tokaido Collector's Edition yesterday, 18 months late. I paid for it in March 2014.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'm kind of worried about Darkest Night since "Unviable retail production" seems like a stone's throw from "Unviable production."

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I'm at a loss for words.

Serf
May 5, 2011

They should have sent a poet.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

quote:

Ctrl+Alt+Del is a fun and always humorous comic that features the world of gaming.
Uh huh.

e: Failed Kickstarters are often harder on the man than the woman.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jun 2, 2016

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
Mentioning the animated series is either really brave or really misguided.

quote:

It has spawned a generation of memes that will forever grace the internet.

Well, it certainly spawned at least one meme, but I'm not sure if I'd take loss.jpg as a distinction.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I'm seeing on the KS page, isn't this just Munchkin?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Their first social goal is 1000 shares and their first stretch goal is 75k (more than twice the funding amount) for a $25 game. They're expecting a lot of backers.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
Does anyone still read B^U?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It seems like it turned into a superheroes comic at some point. I thought after the big reset he moved to having those video game players killing each other and playing D&D.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Man I miss the old CAD Mock threads. Those were fun. :(

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Their first social goal is 1000 shares and their first stretch goal is 75k (more than twice the funding amount) for a $25 game. They're expecting a lot of backers.

The last two Legendary Showdown KSes hit 100-200k and a lot of those backers will be interested in another expansion to the game they have, so they're probably a right. This will be harder on the goon than the Kickstarter.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Maybe, on the other hand the first campaign was for Dr. McNinja, and the second for Girl Genius & Gunnerkrig Court. I don't read them, but know at least the doctor and Gunnerkrig have a huge fanbase.

Depends on whether they like the game for the mechanics or the theme I guess.

e: really I can't be surprised by anything after all those kittens exploded

Zanzibar Ham fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jun 2, 2016

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Huh, after my completely giving up hope on it ever seeing the light of day, Time Heroes just dropped a link to an art free, fully laid out version of the book in backer updates.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Jedit posted:

Lucky you. I just got Tokaido Collector's Edition yesterday, 18 months late. I paid for it in March 2014.

I still haven't gotten mine. Not my oldest undelivered kickstarter, but the oldest TG one for sure.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Jedit posted:

Wow, I saw a Collectors Edition in Orc's Nest in That London a few months ago.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

Wow, I saw a Collectors Edition in Orc's Nest in That London a few months ago.

That would be an unpainted one. The ones with painted minis came later.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

So, I'm pretty excited for Trick of the Rails. I enjoyed Sail to India, from the same designer, and trick-taking and train games (no matter how abstracted) are two of my favorite types of game, so there, my first backed Kickstarter in quite a while.

Also got a survey for the Burning Wheel Codex, so that must be running close to on-time.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

quote:

Reward survey
Generous benefactors, you are commanded to speak by the Lord of the Wheel of Fire! Prophecy states clearly that the Wheel of Fire will come forth once more during a time of epochal change. It will be the light that guides us into the darkness. When the Lord of Fire sleeps, the Wheel will gutter low, ebbing in power—ready to be summoned forth to ignite the hearts of its followers. That time is passed and THE SLEEPER HAS AWAKENED!
Give us your shipping address and fill out this Kickstarter Survey!
-BWHQ

Luke... Luke never changes...

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

They really missed a trick by not having the artwork on each card mirror one of the loss.jpg panels.

That could be the game, divide the cards based on their panel, then draw two cards from each panel stack. then every player tries to make the best version of loss.jpg out of the cards in their hand

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

moths posted:

I'm kind of worried about Darkest Night since "Unviable retail production" seems like a stone's throw from "Unviable production."

I wouldn't be. Victory Point are a very small operation that doesn't usually do a lot of third-party retail business. Their Amazon presence is direct sales from them, for example. The Kickstarters they've been doing recently (the first, Dawn of the Zeds 3rd Edition, just arrived at my door yesterday) actually present a significant step -up- in print run size, hence the viability of nicer production values than they've had in the past. I think they were just hoping they might get enough traction with Darkest Night 2E to actually get onto store shelves beyond stores that are backing the project and haven't.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Jedit posted:

How late in the kickstarter did you order? At this rate, I'm going to have to have it forwarded to my new house.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

In the 'Is this Seriously John Wick?' chronicles of 7th Sea 2E, we just got an update that they were delaying going to print until next week to fix minor issues the backers pointed out in the pre-release.

It bothers me that little things like this that should be just good practice are startling.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

malkav11 posted:

I wouldn't be. Victory Point are a very small operation that doesn't usually do a lot of third-party retail business. Their Amazon presence is direct sales from them, for example. The Kickstarters they've been doing recently (the first, Dawn of the Zeds 3rd Edition, just arrived at my door yesterday) actually present a significant step -up- in print run size, hence the viability of nicer production values than they've had in the past. I think they were just hoping they might get enough traction with Darkest Night 2E to actually get onto store shelves beyond stores that are backing the project and haven't.

Do they do something similar with their other games? I just realized they're the same ones who did Nemo's War, which was another game I was thinking about waiting until release to pick up.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Gravy Train Robber posted:

Do they do something similar with their other games? I just realized they're the same ones who did Nemo's War, which was another game I was thinking about waiting until release to pick up.

The other two Kickstarted games, including Nemo's War, will probably be sold directly by VPG as has been their wont. I don't think they did well enough to go wide retail either, but they didn't do this thing with routing money to stuff the box instead of printing extra to direct sell. Then again, neither game has had five expansions prior to the new edition. I think maybe one or two for Zeds and not even that for Nemo's War? Not sure. So the new editions were cheaper. Also, no minis.

FWIW, my understanding is that Darkest Night has been their most successful game to date, hence perhaps the higher expectations for this KS.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

DalaranJ posted:

How late in the kickstarter did you order? At this rate, I'm going to have to have it forwarded to my new house.

About halfway through. I was backer 2863.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Maybe, on the other hand the first campaign was for Dr. McNinja, and the second for Girl Genius & Gunnerkrig Court. I don't read them, but know at least the doctor and Gunnerkrig have a huge fanbase.

Depends on whether they like the game for the mechanics or the theme I guess.

e: really I can't be surprised by anything after all those kittens exploded

Well it's fully funded now and at 38k as of posting. That means a physical copy may be available somewhere for someone to turn into a loss edit.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Dungeon Crawler has another minis kickstarter up for prepainted minis. The strarter goal is for a tarrasque-esque creature called a behemoth. Their previous miniatures kickstarter was for a similarly sized prepainted kraken and a few accompanying smaller miniatures. I've found the kraken to be of exceptionally high quality and I would recommend the new kickstarter.

Also the campaign is in CAD so the painted behemoth is only 62 USD.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Seems someone saw the Game Canopy and liked it. So they made their own, and is going to provide the plans for free.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

What's funny about this Xia expansion is that a lot of the new rule changes and ideas seem to come from BGG houserules, of which there are many because the game was awful in many ways.

Like: Losing a turn when you die for having a tier2+ ship is awful. Also, losing absolutely nothing when you die as a tier1 ship is also awful, because it encourages people to end their turns slamming into a sun. Both were fixed by respawning on the following turn with some damage, which was one of my houserules.
Shields being overpowered, so now there's a 'piercer' mod that helps cut through enemy shields.
Rolling ones for movement blows, so now there's a mod that increase the minimum number.
Rolling ones for shields against environmental effects blows, so now there's a mod for increasing the amount you roll vs environmental hazards.

Plus rule changes for when you look at mission cards (after your turn now), which previously led to five minute turns while you flipped through some cards and everyone waited for you.

Also three of the more broken ships are getting errata, which is basically printing out the most common houserules for them onto new cards.

Then he took one of the common merchant changes, where instead of there being infinite supply and demand, it's now controlled by a side board that changes as people buy and sell things, so the winning move isn't just moving between the two closest planets that share a buy/sell. You actually have to go between different planets as you use up the resources on one, while you wait for its stock to come back.

It's still a very dicey game, as in literally every action requires a roll, but it can be fun if you're not super serious about game design, and are willing to houserule in some sanity.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Jedit posted:

Seems someone saw the Game Canopy and liked it. So they made their own, and is going to provide the plans for free.

Nice! I use a padded printer bag I got from work. It's perfectly shaped for 4-5 boxes high and space down the side for smaller ones.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Man, I can't believe they got the license for Fallout 4!

quote:

Risks and challenges

Some of the challenges i will have currently is that i'm a lone wanderer currently looking for companions to help complete my quest. Another thing is we will need to get permission to use the name and information to make the book. We will also need to figure out how and where we are gonna print it once its done.

$40 gets you posted:

All previous rewards and a T-shirt

50 of 50 left

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

quote:

The funding will go towards supplies, artists, writers, legal papers, etc.
Yikes. Talk about putting the cart before the brahmin.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jun 5, 2016

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Well, to be fair, nobody has ever thought of a Fallout RPG before, it's a pretty unique idea.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

He's just going to mail you the GURPS quickstart and a handful of bottlecaps.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

moths posted:

He's just going to mail you the GURPS quickstart and a handful of bottlecaps.

Excuse me, it's GURPS Lite, thank you very much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Well, to be fair, nobody has ever thought of a Fallout RPG before, it's a pretty unique idea.

Fallout was a video game adaptation of an RPG, GURPS (as noted above).

So, he should just mail you the GURPS books with a few dozen pages of fluff I guess.