Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Early in development it was, but Steve Jackson didn't like Pip Boy so he rescinded the license. SPECIAL is its own, but similar, creation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Hi, I'm making a fallout rpg. The first thing is to keep Luck as a stat, because tabletop games are exactly like computers and --

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
gently caress, I wrote a Fallout PnP adaptation back in... 1999? 2000? It's now on a free wiki and looks more baked than this. Hell, my original lovely MS Word layout is more baked.

Oh hey, I think he's just ripping off the wiki and trying to sell it. Huh.

E2: I backed for $1 so I can ask him about that. :)

Peas and Rice fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jun 5, 2016

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Golden Bee posted:

Hi, I'm making a fallout rpg. The first thing is to keep Luck as a stat, because tabletop games are exactly like computers and --

A luck stat is perfectly fine if it's actually used in the game, the rules are open about exactly when and how often you'd be able to roll it, and you can expect someone who builds around it to be as useful and viable as someone building around any other stat.

That's obviously not what's going to happen in this case, but still, in theory, it's fine. :v:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

He's planning on using d20 because of course he loving is.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Lemon-Lime posted:

A luck stat is perfectly fine if it's actually used in the game and the rules are open about exactly when and how often you'd be able to roll it.

A "stat" that represents luck seems pointless compared to:
-A pile of luck points or tokens
-A trait that lets you be lucky in X circumstances.

What does "average" luck mean? What does a 5/9 luck get you that 4/9 get you (unless you have a crit table?) What does luck represent that randomized dice rolling doesn't?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Golden Bee posted:

What does "average" luck mean? What does a 5/9 luck get you that 4/9 get you (unless you have a crit table?) What does luck represent that randomized dice rolling doesn't?

A bigger stat means a bigger pool of tokens. It ain't rocket problems.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Golden Bee posted:

It's a stat.

You roll +luck, or under your luck stat, or whatever your resolution mechanic is, to do certain things that are governed by luck. Just like you roll perception to perceive things, or charisma to influence people.

The trick is in designing enough basic actions that are governed by your luck stat to justify having a luck stat. If you can't do this, having a luck stat is not a good idea.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Golden Bee posted:

A higher stat could also mean a higher static bonus (or penalty) to rolls that might be more broadly useful, but less effective on the whole compared to other stats in whatever things they apply to

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Anyone got any thoughts about Anachrony? It's ending in about a day and it seems like an interesting sci-fi worker placement game. Rahdo really loved it and the miniatures to slip your cardboard tokens into seem like a silly but fun addition.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I'm interested in it, but unfortunately it just doesn't grab me enough for the cost. I'd rather save so maybe I'll have a bigger KS budget when something really exciting comes along. Although with my luck I'll find out it's another dud (though maybe again before the campaign ends so I can back out at least).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

JazzFlight posted:

Anyone got any thoughts about Anachrony? It's ending in about a day and it seems like an interesting sci-fi worker placement game. Rahdo really loved it and the miniatures to slip your cardboard tokens into seem like a silly but fun addition.

A lot of people liked their previous game, Trickerion, although there were complaints of slightly excessive fiddliness. I like the look of it, although it's not quite as original as you think: the time travel mechanic was handled almost identically in Eclipse: Shadow of the Rift.

If you're on the fence and have played Trickerion, you can get that game and its expansion as an add-on for less than online retail cost.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
EOS Sama is no more: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1710667762/the-chuubos-marvelous-wish-granting-engine-rpg/posts/1570366

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
CMON have another big-box-of-minis kickstarter up https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/coolminiornot/massive-darkness/description

It looks like a pretty standard dungeon crawler, but the darkness mechanic could be interesting and not needing a games master is nice. I'll probably back just for the big roaming monster miniatures honestly.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Vitamin P posted:

CMON have another big-box-of-minis kickstarter up https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/coolminiornot/massive-darkness/description

It looks like a pretty standard dungeon crawler, but the darkness mechanic could be interesting and not needing a games master is nice. I'll probably back just for the big roaming monster miniatures honestly.

When I first saw it, I was like "Ooh - it looks a bit like Gauntlet!" But it's not like Gauntlet. I want to play Gauntlet now.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

After watching their gameplay video, it feels like a similar experience to Warhammer Quest. The combat (and specifically aggro) mechanics are different, but the monster groups look mostly/completely random and you have to get killing blows if you want loot or XP. That combined with spending XP to either use your cool move or make your character better has me giving it a pass.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

SilverMike posted:

After watching their gameplay video, it feels like a similar experience to Warhammer Quest. The combat (and specifically aggro) mechanics are different, but the monster groups look mostly/completely random and you have to get killing blows if you want loot or XP. That combined with spending XP to either use your cool move or make your character better has me giving it a pass.

Yeah, but on the other hand,

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
So my backer copies of Majestic 12 and Bubblegumshoe arrived today. So much reading to do.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

...people read their RPGs? :confused:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

boom boom boom posted:

Yeah, but on the other hand,

And it's still made nearly a million dollars in a day.

I wonder how many people actually play the CMoN games, how many people don't play them and instead just paint their big box of random minis, and how many spend all that money to get a big box of minis that never leaves the closet?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Evil Mastermind posted:

I know, right? Bunch of deviants.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

NTRabbit posted:

I wonder how many people actually play the CMoN games, how many people don't play them and instead just paint their big box of random minis, and how many spend all that money to get a big box of minis that never leaves the closet?

Blood Rage gets played. I think they also have a pretty good secondary market value because of all their Kickstarter exclusives. I get the feeling long term sales aren't exactly a big part of their business plan.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I do think the others get played, but a lot of the minis sit around. I mean, with Zombicide, there were almost as many survivors as zombies. I finally gave up and started selling the promos on Ebay, as there was no point to having to sort through the morass - play with the stock survivors, and that's it. I also play Wrath of Kings, though there aren't a lot of players, due to a lack of in-store promotion. I'm sure there are quite a few that purchase and never play, but you could probably say that of a lot of games Kickstarters.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Played "Fighting Arts" or some huge, huge box dungeon crawler. It was okay but everything took too many options; it felt as if they combined the annoying movement rules of 3rd edition and the punitive parts of a CYOA. We had an hour and a half fight with a giant screaming stag w/ hands hanging out of its abdomen, and I hit the thing maybe twice -- every time I'd get close, it'd rush to the other side of the battlefield, where the rest of the team (who started over there) could do actual combat.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Historically, how far apart have the Bones Kickstarters been? Bones 3 just closed their pledge manager, is that a sign that Bones 4 is around the corner?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Received my Do: Fate of the Flying Temple last night. It came in a UPS package inside a USPS box. :911:

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jun 9, 2016

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

That Old Tree posted:

Received my Do: Fate of the Flying Temple last night. It came in a UPS package inside a USPS box. :911:

I'm assuming it was shipped by Alliance? This is how they sent me some Fate bookmarks when I ordered them from Evil Hat's website.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Evil Mastermind posted:

What else am I supposed to do. Play them? :smith:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Insanely, for certain types of shipping it is both faster and cheaper to use two different carriers, one to get it to a USPS distribution center, and then normal postal service from there.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Golden Bee posted:

Played "Fighting Arts" or some huge, huge box dungeon crawler. It was okay but everything took too many options; it felt as if they combined the annoying movement rules of 3rd edition and the punitive parts of a CYOA. We had an hour and a half fight with a giant screaming stag w/ hands hanging out of its abdomen, and I hit the thing maybe twice -- every time I'd get close, it'd rush to the other side of the battlefield, where the rest of the team (who started over there) could do actual combat.

Kingdom Death?

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

NTRabbit posted:

And it's still made nearly a million dollars in a day.

I've played Zombicide some. Don't care about minis, myself. Zombicide was interesting because zombie-themed pure coop games are actually pretty thin on the ground and it seemed like the one with the most interesting design and best-liked of that small crowd. (Most are either traitor/individual objectives games, one vs. many or free for all competitive, as far as I can tell.) Their various fantasy coop/semi-coop games seem like they tread much more well-worn ground and haven't brought anything much to the table that I care about and the prices and addon lists are always pretty out there on CMON stuff, mostly because of minis (although they were still charging quite a bit on XenoShyft, which is just cards.).

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Wow! I actually received my MERCS: Recon pledge. It's a lot of loving minis, and the rulebook is unnecessarily large.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

thefakenews posted:

Kingdom Death?

Yeah, I think so.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

signalnoise posted:

Wow! I actually received my MERCS: Recon pledge. It's a lot of loving minis, and the rulebook is unnecessarily large.

I like the game well enough and the giant pile of additional minis will surely enhance the experience, but I do have a few quibbles with how they handled the whole thing. Like how they packed the stretch reward content straight up loose in the shipping box. And didn't label any of it. Thanks guys. A bunch of unlabelled, unassembled grey plastic minis. You shouldn't have. Also, they promised player boards (which you need to actually use them) for all the additional merc minis and....provided a PDF of them for the consumer to print and assemble on their own dime. The Lost Margin pack also seems pretty thin, which I would be more annoyed about if I had separately added it for the listed $25 instead of getting it in the All In package for $100 for like 8 or 9 packs.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
So there's this new KS for a semi-co op game called HOPE. In it you're trying to save existence by spreading life across the universe. The game has a kinda mind-bending map based on a very popular optical illusion thing.

But anyway, their fund goal is $25k, which is supposed to be enough to make a barebones game using abstract wooden pieces. However, they had really cool designed pieces they wanted to put as stretch goals, but they showed them off extensively. Enough that apparently many people thought those pieces are part of the game as it is. So they were forced to unlock a few stretch goals early to compensate.

I'm kinda worried about the viability of the campaign now, at least if it doesn't fund enough beyond the basic goal.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

So there's this new KS for a semi-co op game called HOPE. In it you're trying to save existence by spreading life across the universe.

Looks fiddly and gimmicky, but where I really stopped paying attention was "meta-coop". Apparently they've combined "maybe there's a traitor" with "co-op, but one person 'really' wins too". Either of these is really hard to do and usually end up sucking, doing both seems like they're just trying to tick too many boxes.

In terms of campaign, this seems like a potential disaster if they just limp in. Random holofoil cards and metal medals, 100 little plastic dudes, cards and tokens out the wazoo - if it works out they have to make 300 copies for $25k, I think they could end up way short.

quote:

But anyway, their fund goal is $25k, which is supposed to be enough to make a barebones game using abstract wooden pieces. However, they had really cool designed pieces they wanted to put as stretch goals, but they showed them off extensively. Enough that apparently many people thought those pieces are part of the game as it is. So they were forced to unlock a few stretch goals early to compensate.

God - I had forgot you said this. Those pieces are there in the section "What's in the box", so crazy me I assumed they'd be in the box.

jmzero fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jun 10, 2016

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Zanzibar Ham posted:

The game has a kinda mind-bending map based on a very popular optical illusion thing.

That's definitely something I want to spend hours staring at.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

jmzero posted:

Looks fiddly and gimmicky, but where I really stopped paying attention was "meta-coop". Apparently they've combined "maybe there's a traitor" with "co-op, but one person 'really' wins too". Either of these is really hard to do and usually end up sucking, doing both seems like they're just trying to tick too many boxes.

In terms of campaign, this seems like a potential disaster if they just limp in. Random holofoil cards and metal medals, 100 little plastic dudes, cards and tokens out the wazoo - if it works out they have to make 300 copies for $25k, I think they could end up way short.

Nah, you don't have to play with the traitor and you can play tougher versions of the game and not have the 'one person really wins' thing, but yeah, there's a big problem with their financing now.

e:

GrandpaPants posted:

That's definitely something I want to spend hours staring at.

Worked for q-bert \/:v:\/

Zanzibar Ham fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jun 10, 2016

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

malkav11 posted:

I like the game well enough and the giant pile of additional minis will surely enhance the experience, but I do have a few quibbles with how they handled the whole thing. Like how they packed the stretch reward content straight up loose in the shipping box. And didn't label any of it. Thanks guys. A bunch of unlabelled, unassembled grey plastic minis. You shouldn't have. Also, they promised player boards (which you need to actually use them) for all the additional merc minis and....provided a PDF of them for the consumer to print and assemble on their own dime. The Lost Margin pack also seems pretty thin, which I would be more annoyed about if I had separately added it for the listed $25 instead of getting it in the All In package for $100 for like 8 or 9 packs.

Yeah, I'm currently just wanting to play the Mercs skirmish game, which means I just need to know which bag works for who, but I'm going to have to reference concept art to look them up. Great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

NTRabbit posted:

I play Zombicide at least every two weeks or so, not because I particularly want to but because a critical mass of various friends know the rules for it so it's the fallback choice.

Arcadia Quest I back every time despite knowing full well I'm never going to play a game of Arcadia Quest. It's just a big box of stylish minis to paint. Sometimes I kid myself I'll use them for a D&D game or something.