Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

NTRabbit posted:

And it's still made nearly a million dollars in a day.

I wonder how many people actually play the CMoN games, how many people don't play them and instead just paint their big box of random minis, and how many spend all that money to get a big box of minis that never leaves the closet?

I don't buy CMON minis games, but I do play Dogs of War and World of Smog reasonably often and Guilds of Cadwallon from time to time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

:byodood: PENCIL DRAWN RPG LITE BOARD GAME. SPACE CHASE. DIE ROLLING LIGHT READING FUN COMEDY DARK FUN ACTION. PICK YOUR CHARACTER RACE IN SPACE :byodood:

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Surely not the Vanna White?

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

if they max out every single reward slot except for the bottom one, then they will barely make their goal with $7126 if I added it up right.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I mean who can argue with the sound logic behind four pledge tiers of $13, $24, $69, and $9,966.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

Also from the last thread here is the thing I said about my gamebook KS, Star Bastards:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/twofistedfantasy/star-bastards-a-two-fisted-sci-fi-adventure-gamebo

quote:

SIB posted:
Hello, I would like to plug my goon project here. It's called Star Bastards and it's a solo adventure gamebook, kind of like the Fighting Fantasy series in that it has some light stat management but it plays differently because the mechanics don't work the same way. It's a chase story set in a crummy part of the galaxy where you either play as the guy on the run or the cop that's trying to bring him in. It's effectively two 200-paragraph stories that share mechanics and game assets like item cards and the co-pilot roster. Also both of those stories are pretty funny because everyone you encounter is a complete bastard and mostly out ofr themselves, hence the name.

It's been doing good on Kickstarter and hit its modest funding goal pretty quickly, now I'm working on stretch goals and trying to improve things before the project comes to an end in a few weeks. Anyway if you're hunting around for something to fund maybe you'll enjoy it!

and here is a thing Helical Nightmares said about it:

The thing's still going good, it's gone over 400% and it's not quite halfway done yet.

Goon project Star Bastards funded :toot:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Helical Nightmares posted:

Goon project Star Bastards funded :toot:

I'm still uncertain how this project is meant to kill or maim several children.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Jedit posted:

i'll find a way

E: It really was a goon project in the end, SA accounted for about a fifth of the funding and a quarter of the orders. Probably more than that because those are just the ones that clicked through direct from the forums.

Saint Isaias Boner fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jun 13, 2016

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Jedit posted:

Paper cuts

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

clockworkjoe posted:

if they max out every single reward slot except for the bottom one, then they will barely make their goal with $7126 if I added it up right.

You did. I kind of understand the logic of what they're going for, but if they max out their reward tiers exactly except the highest value one then all of the stated copies of the game are spoken for so I'm not sure how they're going to A WEBSITE TO ACCOMMODATE FUTURE SALES. XES RECORDS FOREVER BRAND if they don't have any more copies of the game or money to print and ship more (because they are totally not going to have money to print and ship more with that funding goal).

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
In the Seattle area or the Pacific Northwest? Want to grab an Orcacon ticket at a discount? Interested in 3 days of gaming in January of 2017? Want to enjoy a game of Katanas and Trenchcoats run by Ryan Macklin? Get in on the Orcacon Kickstarter! There's only 11 hours left. They've already funded, so it's really just a great way to pre-buy tickets or get cool rewards at this point.

Orcacon puts a major emphasis on inclusivity - basically making female, LGBT, and disabled gamers feel welcome. I went last year and the gaming hall was a blast, I played almost nonstop from 10am to 10pm.

Bonus: I'll be running a wild west Call of Cthulhu scenario there - At the Cowtowns of Madness.

:getin:

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Can I choose between a +1 on rolls for swimming in rivers OR oceans but not both?

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

I kind of like the look of this but I have no idea if it would actually be fun to play

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike

I kind of like the look of this but I have no idea if it would actually be fun to play

I feel this is more of an art project than a game. As far as gameplay goes, it will be like Life or Sorry or something like that. But it looks gorgeous to me. Sorry if I'm too hipster to poo poo on the impractical Kickstarter (besides saying that it will never succeed).

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

In his continuing efforts to illustrate just how inept most RPG kickstarters are, Kevin Crawford has put out free and deluxe (backer only) versions of Godbound's first release candidate.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B4qCWY8UnLrcRGxjSmFqSWEyMk0&usp=drive_web

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Dulkor posted:

In his continuing efforts to illustrate just how inept most RPG kickstarters are, Kevin Crawford has put out free and deluxe (backer only) versions of Godbound's first release candidate.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B4qCWY8UnLrcRGxjSmFqSWEyMk0&usp=drive_web

I was just about to comment on this myself.
I understand that Onyx Path was essentially working on making a crunchy RPG from (not quite) scratch, and Crawford is basically making a setting and a rules-lightish superpowers supplement for OSR games... but the handling of Godbound's kickstarter vs Exalted is pretty stunning.

I backed it, and I don't even like OSR.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

bewilderment posted:

I backed it, and I don't even like OSR.

I like Crawford's settings even though they are bolted onto OSR. For me, doesn't detract from the books at all. His tables and takes on things are worth buying.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Helical Nightmares posted:

I like Crawford's settings even though they are bolted onto OSR. For me, doesn't detract from the books at all. His tables and takes on things are worth buying.

Yeah, for Godbound it helps that it's basically the least OSR-y OSR game. Aside from the fact that it uses DnD stats and names for stats, and that lower AC = better, it's basically entirely its own thing that just happens to also be usable with OSR stuff.
I kind of want to run a Godbound pantheon through one of those 'grimdark' OSR adventures just to see what happens.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Wait, you're not Herman S. Skull?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Kilo147 posted:

Wait, you're not Herman S. Skull?

Herman S. Skull died in a suspicious workers riot in the 80s dude.

DurdleDuck
Jul 17, 2013
Multiple goons may have been harmed in the making of this Kickstarter. I definitely worked some ungodly hours, but we've been more than 150% funded in a day (hit our goal in the first 7 hours!), so it's all worth it??

http://tinyurl.com/jh7xfx9

The base game is a sweet easy-to-learn deckbuilding game for up to 4 people. The expansions add RPG elements - they are not necessary, but they add a different dimension to the game that you might or might not enjoy. Thanks for taking a look and keeping this goon employed!

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

DurdleDuck posted:

Multiple goons may have been harmed in the making of this Kickstarter. I definitely worked some ungodly hours, but we've been more than 150% funded in a day (hit our goal in the first 7 hours!), so it's all worth it??

The base game is a sweet easy-to-learn deckbuilding game for up to 4 people. The expansions add RPG elements - they are not necessary, but they add a different dimension to the game that you might or might not enjoy. Thanks for taking a look and keeping this goon employed!

I'm not backing a game created by a baby

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

DurdleDuck posted:

Great art. The cost ramps up quickly and the stretch goals are a little thin.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

DurdleDuck posted:

I do like Star Realms and Epic and all that, so I'm definitely backing at the $72 option. Thanks for offering a single-player option with the campaign stuff.

Epic was a great KS because it delivered just a few months after the campaign ended.

DurdleDuck
Jul 17, 2013

alg posted:

Great art. The cost ramps up quickly and the stretch goals are a little thin.

I agree the stretch goals are currently a little thin. Our previous Kickstarter is to blame, in a way- we overshot our goal by so much that we were scrambling to add extra stretch goals that wouldn't bankrupt us. So for this one we planned for that a bit more, but that does mean we're stretching the rewards a bit.

A good problem to have, I guess?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

DurdleDuck posted:

You know, while I love Star Realms and Epic, I have to say this KS left me kinda cold. At PAX East one of the guys there said Hero Realms was going to be like Star Realms, but going in a different direction, which is cool, but I don't like that the base game is just Star Realms with a paint job and you have to start shelling out for the expansions to actually make it different.

Is there any chance we'll see how the expansions actually change the base game?

DurdleDuck
Jul 17, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

You know, while I love Star Realms and Epic, I have to say this KS left me kinda cold. At PAX East one of the guys there said Hero Realms was going to be like Star Realms, but going in a different direction, which is cool, but I don't like that the base game is just Star Realms with a paint job and you have to start shelling out for the expansions to actually make it different.

Is there any chance we'll see how the expansions actually change the base game?

We're trying to get some videos shot and put up to show some gameplay. The character packs you have to imagine as something similar to Hearthstone's heroes: they are cards that modify your starting health and possibly other things, you get a different starting deck themed to your character, and each character has a major and a minor ability that they can use once a game and once a turn respectively. The Boss decks are like a "play your level 1 character vs their level 15 character".

As for the base game being Star Realms with a paint job: the number one complaint about Epic was that it *wasn't* just Star Realms with a paint job :(

We obviously tried to make the base game a little more exciting than that (it definitely feels different when you play it), but without changing the rules, so that people who are familiar with Star Realms can jump right in. It's hard to get it just right I must say.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

DurdleDuck posted:

As for the base game being Star Realms with a paint job: the number one complaint about Epic was that it *wasn't* just Star Realms with a paint job :(
Wait, what? That doesn't make any sense; Epic was presented from day one as a different style of game.

e: I mean, I've never been a fan of the whole "let's remake the exact same game but with a different theme" thing anyway so I guess I'm the wrong person to try and understand that.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jun 14, 2016

DurdleDuck
Jul 17, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

Wait, what? That doesn't make any sense; Epic was presented from day one as a different style of game.

e: I mean, I've never been a fan of the whole "let's remake the exact same game but with a different theme" thing anyway so I guess I'm the wrong person to try and understand that.

I know right? We thought we were very clear, but ehh ...yeah. There are still people that loudly complain about this all over the internet whenever we post about it or a new project.

I feel you on the whole remake thing though. It apparently does work for a whole lot of people :shrug:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

DurdleDuck posted:

I feel you on the whole remake thing though. It apparently does work for a whole lot of people :shrug:
Don't get me started on the OSR.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
People are more likely to buy something they know won't disappoint them over anything that might have a risk of disappointment irregardless of the quality of the two products.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Apparently the 7th Sea Core Rules are done? Jesus that was some fast turnaround.

Something something Far West something something

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

Something something Far West something something
Last promise for Chapter 9 was "early June". Just to keep everyone in the loop.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Evil Mastermind posted:

Last promise for Chapter 9 was "early June". Just to keep everyone in the loop.
In a technical sense, we're less than halfway through June, I guess?

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Jokes on you nerds, he never said June of what year.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Again: almost 5 years now to write a game that's classless d20 with Fate's aspects bolted on.

e: although really the mechanical side of things was completed a while ago because he sent it out to backers. And the setting stuff was written by someone else ages ago. We've been waiting on Chapter 9, which is the GMing advice chapter, for over 300 days now.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jun 14, 2016

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Evil Mastermind posted:

Again: almost 5 years now to write a game that's classless d20 with Fate's aspects bolted on.

e: although really the mechanical side of things was completed a while ago because he sent it out to backers. And the setting stuff was written by someone else ages ago. We've been waiting on Chapter 9, which is the GMing advice chapter, for over 300 days now.

What the ever loving gently caress. Unless this chapter contains the instructions to a lost Incan treasure horde, the secret to immortality, or a comprehensive and non-PUA way to win friends and get women to sleep with you, there's no reason for a chapter that, knowing GMS, will boil down to 'build a complicated adventure path and force the players to dance to your whims, lol!' can take ten goddamn months. I mean it's not like he tapped Robin Laws to write it (because Robin Laws, as a professional, would have turned it in on time) it's a GMing advice chapter for the most paint-by-numbers game made since the latest thing Monte Cook put out.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

SA's favorite game is up!

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Oh gently caress yeah. I've played that game IRL a few times, it's a lot of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Does anyone know anything about this Nove Cry game? Apparently it's a second printing because the first one wasn't available at retail, and it looks like a pretty decent 4x-ish style game.