Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Floating Fish posted:

I got attacked by two pit-bulls as I was walking my dog (shiba inu mix) down the street. We've done this daily for the past 6 years and always avoid this street for this reason but the owner had just let them off their tie-out and they saw us and ran down the block. As the first one approached I stepped between it and my dog and put my knee up to block it. The second one hit my dog from the side and as i turned to react, the first one grabbed my wrist and pulled me to the ground. Everything happened really fast and I only remember bits and pieces of the fight. One dog had pinned mine down by the throat while other was grabbing at his body. I kicked them off and tried to pick my dog up but they jumped back in and pinned me down by the shoulder. I covered my dog with my body and had one arm over his throat and the second over mine. One of the pit-bulls grabbed my dogs front paw and crushed it in its jaw. I started punching it in the face and managed to get it off but got my hand pretty torn up in the process. I don't think ill ever forget the sound of teeth going through bone and the yelp that followed. The owner of the two dogs was running around trying to pull his dogs and finally broke one of the them away. I was able to get up and fight the second one off while he dragged the other inside. We just kind of huddled in the middle of the street while he dragged off the second one. I used a neighbors phone to call my wife and have her pick us up. We wrapped my dogs paw and took him to the vet before going to the emergency room. My dog had dozens of punctures and his paw was completely crushed, It took over a week of calling around to find a surgeon that was willing to touch it. He has two pins and one bone is wrapped in wire. I had the veins on my left wrist torn open, my right hand was shredded on every soft part where the teeth could sink into. My left upper arm was also torn from getting pinned down. I think I counted 27 punctures. The police came to the emergency room and took a statement but nothing ever came of it and the dogs are still there but at least the owner payed for all of the vet and medical expenses. I was hesitant to write this up because a lot of the people that Ive talked to get really defensive about pit-bulls and ends in a really awkward "maybe if you didn't dress like that you wouldn't get raped" sort of way.

:( That's awful and I'm glad both you and your dog came out okay. It's great that the owner paid your expenses without you having to take them to court and I really hope they've learned their lesson about letting their dogs off-leash. I love pit bulls, but many, many of them are dog aggressive and that's not something to be taken lightly.

My story: When I was young, like 7 or 8, it was the early nineties and where I lived at least, cocker spaniels were ridiculously popular. They were at least three houses that had one on my street. A few of us kids walked up the cul-de-sac to see if another kid could come out and play. One kid went up and knocked on the door while the rest of us waited at the curb. The kid's dad answered the door, and their cocker spaniel slipped by him and charged straight at our group, barking and growling and gnashing his teeth. I don't know if it was going specifically for me or if it just targeted me because I started running first, but it chased me halfway down the road and finally caught up and bit me hard on the back of my leg. At that point, the dad from the house caught up and pulled him off of me. He apologized and said to tell my parents that the dog had all of his shots. I remember crying the rest of the way back to my house, but since the dog didn't really break any skin, I didn't tell my parents. After that, I was terrified to bike or walk around my neighborhood for years and years.

Oddly enough, I worked at a veterinary clinic for many years and never managed to get bit. Nearly everyone in the field has that one breed that they just don't like and cockers are them for me. Met many more cockers in my time there though and I can safely say gently caress them. Nasty little shits with gross-rear end skin issues and horrible ear funk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Tony Montana posted:

Alternately my cat shits in the designated making GBS threads spot. Not because it's trained, not because it's trying to please me, because cats aren't filthy creatures that enjoy stomping around in their own poo poo.

It shits there because it's loving disgusting to poo poo anywhere else. The cat thinks this, not me.

As a kitten it understood this, while you can have a dog for life and they never get it.

I guess if you live on a farm and need to herd your sheep or whatever the gently caress, for the rest of us that live in modernity a stinky, aggressive, loud, revolting hairy pig running around the house isn't something we aspire to.

OTOH my dog has had exactly one accident in the house in the 2.5 years I've had her (and even that was only a side effect of the anesthesia she was under the previous day), while my dumbass Himalayan cat is completely oblivious to the dingleberries she collects and subsequently deposits in convenient locations such as the kitchen floor, the carpeted stairs, under our bed, etc.

So yeah. Cats can be pretty loving disgusting too.

edit for content: My husband got bit in the face by our sweet and very socially well-adjusted dog because he was dumb enough to get in her face while she was sleeping and startled the poo poo out of her. Any dog will bite under the right circumstances and that's not something to be taken for granted.

pastor of muppets fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Aug 13, 2016

• Locked thread