Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
The coaching carousel is like Christmas: it seems to start earlier and earlier every year.

Fired/Hired

pre:
School           Old                 Interim                     Hired              Notes
Baylor           Art Briles          Jim Grobe                                      Pretty rapey;
FIU              Ron Turner          Ron Cooper                  Butch Davis        ; ESPN 
LSU              Les Miles           DaCoachO                    DaCoachO           ; YAW YAW YAW
Purdue           Darrell Hazell      Gerad Parker
Fresno State     Tim DeRuyter        Eric Kiesau                 Jeff Tedford       ; Consultant
Georgia State    Trent Miles         Tim Lappano
FAU              Charlie Partridge
Nevada           Brian Polian
San Jose State   Ron Caragher
Texas            Charlie Strong                                  Tom Herman         ; HC Houston
Houston          Tom Herman                                                         To Texas
Oregon           Mark Helfrich
Indiana          Kevin Wilson                                    Tom Allen          Did something bad?; was DC
Cincinnati       Tommy Tuberville                                                   Resigned;
Minnesota        Tracy Claeys                                    PJ Fleck           Fired for being clueless
WMU              PJ Fleck                                                           To Minn
Cal              Sonny Dykes                                                        ??
Links

fired
5/26/16 - Art Briles Fired
9/25/16 - Ron Turner loses another job
9/25/16 - Les Miles can't coach his way out of a hat
10/16/16 - Darrell Hazell... meh?
10/23/16 - Tim DeRuyter is not a good coach
11/13/16 - Bad season for coaches named Miles. Trent out.
11/20/16 - Charlie Strong fired... o wai
11/26/16 - Charlie Strong fired for reals this time
11/27/16 - Charlie Partridge released after 3 3-9 seasons
11/27/16 - Nevada & Brian Polian say, "it's not you, it's me" simultaneously
11/27/16 - Ron Caragher doesn't do much at San Jose
11/29/16 - Oregon a bit slow, but fires Helfrich anyway
12/1/16 - Kevin Wilson must have done something gross
12/4/16 - Tuberville gives up

hired
11/10/16 - Jeff Tedford returns to alma mater
11/14/16 - FIU hires another failed coach
11/26/16 - LSU was really gonna hire DaCoachO all along. Really guys. Seriously
11/26/16 - Strong's seat wasn't even cool before Tom Herman was hired
12/1/16 - DC Tom Allen named coach after 3 hour search

kayakyakr fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jan 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Baylor's gonna hire Mike Singletary, aren't they.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

<obligatory Tom Herman to Baylor rumor>

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.
How long do LSU, aTm, and Auburn decide to wait before they put the full court press on Briles?

I figure it will start with a paid consultancy, then a coordinator position.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Cmon Baylor, hire Bo Pelini, loving do it

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Lasagna Pilot posted:

How long do LSU, aTm, and Auburn decide to wait before they put the full court press on Briles?

I figure it will start with a paid consultancy, then a coordinator position.

Depends on the length of the show cause.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Da Coach O gonna teachum boyos hows ta respecks da womenz

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

Korranus posted:

<obligatory Tom HermanChad Morris to Baylor rumor>

Need another former Texas HS Head Coach.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Baylor should hire Mike Leach because gently caress it.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Can we speculate on a hot seat listing?

As much as I hate it for Georgia, Paul Johnson's probably getting fired within the year.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Best move for Baylor is to retain the current staff in hopes that Briles alone is enough to satisfy the public. Make Phil Bennett interim HC next year (he has HC experience), and then see if they can bring back Philip Montgomery from Tulsa to be the new HC at the end of next season.

Probably not tenable given the desire to distance themselves from Briles' legacy, but from a football standpoint it's probably the best outcome fans can hope for. I guarantee that anybody they could bring in from the outside this offseason isn't someone they would want to commit to long term.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 23:03 on May 26, 2016

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Toilet Mouth posted:

Best move for Baylor is to retain the current staff in hopes that Briles alone is enough to satisfy the public. Make Phil Bennett interim HC next year (he has HC experience), and then see if they can bring back Philip Montgomery from Tulsa to be the new HC at the end of next season.

Probably not tenable given the desire to distance themselves from Briles' legacy, but from a football standpoint it's probably the best outcome fans can hope for. I guarantee that anybody they could bring in from the outside this offseason isn't someone they would want to commit to long term.

Also the report indicates it wasnt just Briles, but other coaches doing this poo poo too.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

swickles posted:

Also the report indicates it wasnt just Briles, but other coaches doing this poo poo too.

Yeah, I caught that

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
First one of these in awhile where I won't spend the offseason talking about Ferentz either getting fired or leaving for a different job. That's exciting.

Now if/when we go 7-5 this year.....

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

I just noticed that Oregon OC/QB Coach Scott Frost is now the head coach at Central Florida. I was gonna put up George O'Leary

I still have it in my head that Mark Helfrich of Oregon is a bad head coach and is messing up what Chip Kelly built, so that's something I'm looking forward to. If Baylor doesn't finalize a staff before the season and Helfrich underwhelms, that might be an interesting notion - the same goes for Auburn and Gus Malzahn.

pillsburysoldier fucked around with this message at 01:08 on May 28, 2016

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

pillsburysoldier posted:

I just noticed that Oregon OC/QB Coach Scott Frost is now the head coach at Central Florida. I was gonna put up George O'Leary

I still have it in my head that Mark Helfrich of Oregon is a bad head coach and is messing up what Chip Kelly built, so that's something I'm looking forward to. If Baylor doesn't finalize a staff before the season and Helfrich underwhelms, that might be an interesting notion - the same goes for Auburn and Gus Malzahn.

Oregon's been too close to serious penalties in the last few years in Football and MBB, I don't really think they're excited about picking up a coach that created a toxic culture.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
gently caress Dana Altman

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Chris Petersen isn't going anywhere anytime soon but I hate OC Jonathan Smith and wish he would gently caress off

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Ross Angeles posted:

gently caress Dana Altman

This is the most emotion I've seen anyone post about an Oregon coach since Chip Kelly left.

Sorry we stole a recruit from you.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Maxwells Demon posted:

This is the most emotion I've seen anyone post about an Oregon coach since Chip Kelly left.

Sorry we stole a recruit from you.

It's more Altman accusing us of recruiting violations which brought up the bogus NCAA chargers from last year that amounted to absolutely nothing, which in turn cost us recruits.

I'm petty.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Altman is a piece of poo poo and a former Creighton coach. I wholeheartedly agree with Ross.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Sumlin's probably in the hot seat but I think if he can win against 1-2 of Ole Miss, Alabama, and LSU he should be ok.

Like being a 9-win team is fine, it's just being a 9 win team and also winning against good opponents.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

computer parts posted:

Sumlin's probably in the hot seat but I think if he can win against 1-2 of Ole Miss, Alabama, and LSU he should be ok.

Like being a 9-win team is fine, it's just being a 9 win team and also winning against good opponents.

the LSU conundrum

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
nick saban 2 baylor

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Jim Grobe hired at Baylor

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Baylor hires Jim Grobe to serve as Interim coach: http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/collegesports/2016/05/30/reports-baylor-hire-former-wake-forest-coach-jim-grobe-interim-coach

The bigger thing to note is that they are keeping on the rest of the staff. That's not cool. The entire lot of them need to go.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I think they all will be after the year. Its almost impossible to put an entire staff together this quickly

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Considering the NCAA specifically went hard on USC for hiring someone out of Pete Carroll's coaching tree, keeping Briles' staff seems like a really bad idea.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Raku posted:

Considering the NCAA specifically went hard on USC for hiring someone out of Pete Carroll's coaching tree, keeping Briles' staff seems like a really bad idea.

Well especially since the Finding of Facts was pretty explicit that multiple coaches were involved in this. The buck stops at the head coach but that doesn't mean you can keep his lovely assistants after firing him.

Some Baylor fans are convinced this means that Art Briles is really just being suspended for a year and will come back with a vengeance and his whole staff in 2017.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Said this in the general Baylor thread but will also say it here.

Mixed feelings in the sense that I love Coach Grobe for what he did at Wake and I heard nothing but great things about him as a man. I don't love the fact that somebody I hadd unwavering respect for is working at a rape school (well a rape school that we're aware of; I'd probably kill myself if I knew how often poo poo like this actually happens and isn't found out) with the same assistants, but Grobe is pretty high on the list of "character hires" I can think of. That and I'm curious to see what he'll do at another program.

HypnoCabbage
Oct 26, 2007
Cheap as hell since 1971.

kayakyakr posted:

The bigger thing to note is that they are keeping on the rest of the staff. That's not cool. The entire lot of them need to go.

I don't understand at all what this is intended to accomplish. I somewhat got why they wouldn't can the whole staff outright when they suspended Briles as a way to try to retain their recruiting class, but the recruits are abandoning ship in droves anyway.

And if the BOR thinks they can get away with sneaking Briles in through the back door and pretending like nothing happened, apparently they're living under the world's most secure rock and haven't seen a paper or website in the last several weeks. This is going to hang over Baylor for YEARS, at the very least until the Justice Department, Department of Education, and/or NCAA get done, which could take a long time just for the investigation, to say nothing of the actual penalties.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

yeah Grobe is the definition of a safe hire and will at least keep them from completely imploding but man, i don't care how close/far the season is, that whole staff had to go

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
It's about evidence. It's documented that Paterno knew what was going on at Penn State, beyond the reasoning that as God-King there's no way he wouldn't have known. It needs to be made clear who exactly was involved with the malfeasance, and how well known it was around the program.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Ross Angeles posted:

It's more Altman accusing us of recruiting violations which brought up the bogus NCAA chargers from last year that amounted to absolutely nothing, which in turn cost us recruits.

I'm petty.

"Bogus"

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
remember how NC wasn't punished for literally having students not show up to any classes, but the University of Alaska got destroyed because a few hockey players incorrectly reported GPA

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
This seems like as good a place as any to post my TOTALLY OFFICIAL C. EVERETT KOOP IS BORED AT WORK COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEAD COACH HOT SEAT RANKINGS!

Basically I divide everyone into one of five categories, although some can clearly float. They are!:

Untouchable: Everyone is happy. The coach doesn't want to go anywhere and the community/boosters/AD is on the same page. There might be the stray moron who's salty about poo poo but they're few and far between. Things can go south, but it'll lead to a graceful exit, or at least the perception of one. Basically, this partnership will end either with the coach retiring or some really bad poo poo going down.

Solid: People are happy, for the time being. Mostly used for success that is recent but not sustained, and the coaches listed here are fine in their current position may be looking for long-term stability where they are or looking to move up and onward to better things.

Undecided: Generally used for new coaches, with a couple of exceptions. Everyone's happy for now because of the new coach smell and because he hasn't hosed anything up yet. If you have more than a year at your current job and you fall into this category then something's up.

Heating Up: Not in immediate danger of being canned unless poo poo really goes south, but there's some murmuring that people aren't happy and change might be in the air if things don't turn around. Sometimes they do, and sometimes they don't, and good coaches not happy with their contracts or current situations can fall here. But this is generally not a good area to be in.

He's On Fire!: The Hot Seat. For coaches who are in win or else situations or are running out of time on their contracts. I fully expect 90% of those who fall in this area to not be in their current positions come this December.

FIRST CONFERENCE: THE ACC

UNTOUCHABLE

Dabo Swinney - Clemson. Unless/Until Nick Saban retires and the call of the alma mater becomes too strong to resist, Swinney is at Clemson. He's molded everything the way he wants it, he's recruiting well, he's done wonders to change the national perception of Clemson football and almost has "Clemsoning" out of our seasonal verbiage (almost). He's shown no outward ambition to jump to the NFL or another job, and it's hard to see him going anywhere but Alabama with his current success and even that's not a guarantee. Dabo can dance until the cows come home in the upstate.

David Cutcliffe - Duke. Cutcliffe might not have had the same success as Dabo, but the degree of difficulty between the two is a hair bit different. He might not have a winning record through his eight years at Duke, but it's close, and he's turned Duke Football from a laughingstock to a respectable program. If he wanted Tennessee he could have had it and turned it down, so it looks like Cutcliffe will be a Dookie until he retires or Coach K has him killed.

SOLID

Jimbo Fisher - Florida State. Under normal circumstances a national champion-winning coach should be in the Untouchable category. But normal circumstances is a phrase foreign to Tallahassee, and Untouchable coaches aren't flirting with other programs. Jimbo's obviously safe from being terminated and it'd take a couple years of losing to Clemson/Florida/Miami to move him from here involuntarily. But the LSU talk still lingers and makes you wonder if Jimbo's planning an exit strategy, even if it's a contingency plan. Putting him here feels right for now, and a couple more ACC titles should bump him up a notch.

Paul Johnson - Georgia Tech. I'm not willing to let one bad season after recent success doom Johnson. I could have a bad read on the situation but everyone's either all sunshine or doom and gloom on their coaches and eight years at the helm should buy Johnson more than one bad year. Now if Tech craps the bed this year as well he'll be down in the NBA Jam rankings but for now the Wreck is fine.

Bobby Petrino - Louisville. He hasn't blown people away in his second go-round, albeit against stiffer competition than the Big East, but he hasn't gotten into any trouble either. In fact, I don't recall hearing a lot of national talk about Petrino and that's good for him and his reputation. He's stuck in a rough division behind Clemson/FSU in the ACC Atlantic, and that may end up dooming him if those two continue their current success. But no news is good news for Big Wheel Bobby.

Larry Fedora - North Carolina. Had the Heels not poo poo the bed in the opening game against South Carolina last year, they would have been in the discussion for the Playoff. He's an example of someone who was starting to get in trouble after being just 21-17 after three years, but a monster year four has paid off. He's not Untouchable obviously, but short-term success buys you short-term relief.

Pat Narduzzi - Pitt. Good start in year one with an 8-5 record. The Coastal is still very much up for grabs and we'll see what Narduzzi can do here. Small sample size with a good early return = solid foundation.

UNDECIDED

Mark Richt - Miami. Richt is this year's Jim Harbaugh. Bounced out of a situation due to circumstances mostly out of his control, he winds up at his alma mater and is a better coach than they deserve. Getting Richt is an absolute blessing for Miami and unless he's lost his touch or his passion, he should get them results. As long as they don't expect the dominance of The []_[] and keep their expectations reasonable, Richt should be here for a while. But this is Miami, and that's enough to keep Richt from the Solid ranking and in Undecided despite his track record.

Dino Babers - Syracuse. Cuse football hasn't been lighting the world on fire as of late, and Babers is the latest MAC coach to have a go at making a mid-level program better than they are. I assume playing on turf in a dome should help a MACtion offense more than it would hurt but who knows. Babers should get time with the majority of attention focused on Jim Boeheim's victory lap, so we'll see what he does.

Bronco Mendenhall - Virginia. Mendenhall leaving BYU wasn't a surprise; he'd gone on record as saying he wasn't a fan of independence and wanted the stability of a conference, and with BYU/Big 12 not shacking up it made sense to leave. But Mendenhall has spent his whole career out west and thus going to Charlottesville is a surprise. He's got a chance here, the Mid-Atlantic area should be ripe for the picking with Frank Beamer retired and no dominate Carolina team, so if Mendenhall can make some roads in recruiting he can have some success. But he's got his work cut out for him in trying to revive the perception of Virginia football after some recent lackluster teams.

Justin Fuente - Virginia Tech. Normally you don't want to be the guy who ends up replacing The Guy, but the Beamer Ball era ended about as gracefully as it could have and thus expectations won't be sky-high coming in for Fuente. What we'll have to wait and see is what will happen if/once he loses to Virginia or the team doesn't make a bowl; will people understand that success takes time or will they rant and rave and grab their pitchforks? That's the big question in Blacksburg.

HEATING UP

Dave Doeren - NC State. 18-20 through three seasons, just 7-6 last year. Doeren's tenure in Raleigh has been solid but unspectacular and it's time to show something. Again, State is stuck in the Atlantic instead of the far more manageable Coastal, but if Doeren doesn't get to eight wins and show some life, State could be looking for a new coach fairly soon.

HE'S ON FIRE!

Steve Addazio - Boston College. Losing all of your conference games is generally considered a bad thing and usually leads to a coach getting fired, unless he's inherited a dumpster fire. Addazio doing it in year three is a really bad sign and it's a bit of a surprise that he's getting a year four. BC's defense is generally acceptable, if not good, but the offense was absolutely dreadful. If that doesn't turn around, it'll be someone else's job to make people care about someone other than the Pats.

Dave Clawson - Wake Forest. They don't expect great things from athletics in Deaconville, but they expect better than 6-18 and to have a better record in games where you don't score a TD than in games where you do. It's hard to see Clawson getting a fourth year if he goes 3-9 or worse once again, because while beggars can't be choosers, even the hungriest man knows not to shove his face in a pile of manure.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Another thing Paul Johnson's got going for him is that he got a very favorable contract extension after 2014. I don't know the exact numbers, but from what I understand, he's got a pretty hefty buyout and the athletic department's kind of strapped for cash. I think a crappy 2016 season would put him in the hot seat for 2017 rather than getting him definitely fired, as much as that seems to be what the fan consensus is at the moment.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide
The question is, what even are Georgia Tech's expectations? Two years ago he had a triple option team playing in the conference championship. This year they were dismal but still somehow won some games they shouldn't have. Is that as good or better than constantly going 7-8 wins and making a bowl, or do they fire him for being inconsistent?

It's a soul-searching question to me--would you rather be consistent but not contending like late Frank Beamer or potentially whip back and forth like, I dunno, Auburn

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Considering the NCAA found nothing, yeah, bogus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
As a Wake Forest fan I wouldn't say Clawson is in too much trouble, less because he can afford to go 3-9 again and more because the schedule this a season is Charmin soft.

• Locked thread