Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Applewhite posted:

From a certain point of view, our "enslaved brethren" are actually the skeletons of the men and elves trapped within living flesh. We have an obligation to free all of them.

I agree, but on the other bony hand, we could wait for the bear to kill everyone, then resurrect them to follow us on our quest. Their skeletons will be freed eventually.

Wait, do the things you resurrect follow you by default? I can't remember. If not, this isn't a good plan.

vortmax fucked around with this message at 02:15 on May 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Applewhite posted:

I hope we get to meet some super gay elf skeletons.

So you want us to meet some perfectly average elf skeletons?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Who What Now posted:

So you want us to meet some perfectly average elf skeletons?

Yes that is exactly my meaning.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I vote for DOING NOTHING. Just wait and see what happens. Worat case we'll just get jostled out of the way.

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy
Is there a max number of arms we can attach to the skeleton body?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

ChrisHansen posted:

Is there a max number of arms we can attach to the skeleton body?

Any more than two and we lose our union membership.

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy

gannyGrabber posted:

I vote for DOING NOTHING. Just wait and see what happens. Worat case we'll just get jostled out of the way.

I think this is a good idea unless we've been spotted.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Fellbat posted:

Clearly we need to wait for the elves to kill the bear then replace are own limbs with the right two bear arms.

Applewhite posted:

From a certain point of view, our "enslaved brethren" are actually the skeletons of the men and elves trapped within living flesh. We have an obligation to free all of them.

While they are fighting, scrape 'Bear and elf proof barrel' on the side of the barrel with your shears, and wait if someone tries to take shelter in your barrel. If someone does, ambush him.

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005
The elves are huge douchebag hippies and are trying to save the bear and they probably hate skeletons. I mean skeletons remind them of death and instead of dying they get on a cruise ship to elf Florida so it makes them uncomfortable at best.

Beyond shots to the junk their next greatest weakness is puns so I think we got them covered no matter what at this point. No bones about it.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
>Elven Dick Punch

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005

Gridlocked posted:

>Elven Dick Pun

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

I counted (properly this time, more or less)

I got 4 for pun-ching an elf in the boner
3 for waiting in the barrel until everything goes away
2 for freeing the bear (this means attacking that horseman since he's the only thing holding it back)
2 for popping out of the barrel and stabbing at whatever's closest at the most opportune moment (the applewhite/hogge wild plan)

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

vortmax posted:

Wait, do the things you resurrect follow you by default? I can't remember. If not, this isn't a good plan.

We'll probably get to this in the next update but yes, everything you resurrect follows you, kind of (or is attached to you).

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Bears have a way of freeing skeletons. They're our natural allies! Free that bear!

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Wait it out then sneak attack who's left

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
I want the bear to die, we have a right to those bear arms

EDIT: So, uh, whatever option results in a dead bear I guess??

HJE-Cobra fucked around with this message at 15:47 on May 29, 2016

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Voting for inaction too many times ends up pretty boring, like working at a grocery store or something. Taking calculated/stupid risks is usually the only way forward in these books.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I vote for freeing the bear, with a cry of "Team Ursa Ulna!"

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Applewhite posted:

vortmax posted:

I agree, but on the other bony hand, we could wait for the bear to kill everyone, then resurrect them to follow us on our quest. Their skeletons will be freed eventually.

I agree the skeletons must band together to protect themselves from fleshy oppression. We should convince the surviving human to shut up and stop drawing the elves over here, and by the way, did have you heard about all of the benefits of being in SKU? All you have to do is abandon that flesh suit man, I only have to work 3 days a week!

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Wait in the barrel for everything to go away.
I'm glad to see another one of these

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

It's a bit hard to tell but it looks like we're leaning towards attacking the elves, because gently caress elves. i'll leave it open another hour or so while I hunt down the pages.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Throwing in a vote for try talking the hippy into hugging the bear so it calms down.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

I've re-counted and we're going to try to free that bear, and if that means teaming up with a bunch of elves to kill a horseman and a couple of soldiers then that's what's going to happen.

Update soon.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I hope my vote didn't tip it over because I did want to see what'd happen if we actually convinced the elf hippie to hug the bear regardless of trying to free the bear.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

RandomPauI posted:

I hope my vote didn't tip it over because I did want to see what'd happen if we actually convinced the elf hippie to hug the bear regardless of trying to free the bear.

don't worry about it. you can't really communicate with fleshies since you can't talk, and those elves are only hippies in the wearing hemp and doing nothing of value sense. Like most elves in these books they're also a bunch of violent thieves.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

RandomPauI posted:

Throwing in a vote for try talking the hippy into hugging the bear so it calms down.

This but offer it a nice cold glass of bone strengthening refreshing milk as well.

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem
I want a bastard aelf's bastard sword!!!

I'm pretty sure a band of Elves (innate animal communion hippie powers) could take down (or calm down) an enraged bear in the woods with no problem, which is why we need to subtly take down one of the elves from our barrel-y hidey hole if we're to stand a chance of getting through this undiscovered.

Sorry for all the conjecture - I forget how rote the fantasy laws are in the two-fisted fantasies. But the real question is: Does a Zombie Bear poo poo in the woods?

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Dinosaurmageddon posted:

I want a bastard aelf's bastard sword!!!

I'm pretty sure a band of Elves (innate animal communion hippie powers) could take down (or calm down) an enraged bear in the woods with no problem, which is why we need to subtly take down one of the elves from our barrel-y hidey hole if we're to stand a chance of getting through this undiscovered.

Sorry for all the conjecture - I forget how rote the fantasy laws are in the two-fisted fantasies. But the real question is: Does a Zombie Bear poo poo in the woods?

lol these elves are the same as the type in Sword of the Bastard Elf, the only communion they have with nature is that sometimes they have to take a dump in it.

Anyway, moving on with a short update tonight: we're going to attack the humans/hippos and get that bear freed. I found the end of yesterday's page:

Stabbing the guard shouldn't be so hard (212):

We get the drop on him but he's far from out. In Two-Fisted Fantasies fighting is best left to warriors, which is something we're not. Although we're armed, a pair of hedge trimmers clutched by a weedy and decrepit skeleton isn't all that threatening to guardsman in armor. The game is full of dick moves like this.

Anyway here is how fighting works just quickly (spoilered out for those of you who don't give a drat):

Two-Fisted Fantasy rules posted:

Combat takes place in rounds. In order:
  • Allocate as much ESSENCE to this round as you like, up to a maximum of your current ESPRIT. Subtract this amount from your ESSENCE.
  • Roll as many dice as you have FISTS. Add the highest one of these dice to the amount of ESSENCE you put aside.This is your combat score.
  • Your opponent's combat score is their ESPRIT plus the highest of their FIST dice, if any.
  • If your combat score is higher, you have won the round. Subtract 1 HEALTH from your enemy. If equal you have tied, if lower you have lost.
  • If your enemy is at 0 HEALTH you've won.
  • Repeat until your enemy is dead or you're out of ESSENCE (or you give up).

A few useful things to know - being made of bone we don't usually take injuries for losing a round of combat and there's usually a way to throw an unwinnable fight. If you recall Sword of the Bastard Elf the real enemy is running out of ESSENCE - if it reaches 0 it's game over. It's very possible to win a fight and still be in a tight spot.

Anyway our choice here is pretty straightforward - we can fight and try to win, which is possible since we have the advantage in FISTS, although it'll probably chew up a bit of ESSENCE. Or we can throw in the towel and trust in this guy's mercy.

E: Nothing's changed but i thought you might like the adventure scroll so you can see where we stand:

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
All in! :rolldice:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Our opponent will have a combat score of 8-13, meaning that we need to spend a minimum of 3 Essence and roll a max of 6 to beat his minimum roll. So to even have a good chance we'll need to put in a full 5 to have a decent chance of winning. But we're young, dumb, and full of Essence, so let's do it!

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 00:35 on May 30, 2016

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem
MERCY!!!

Honestly, who could blame you??? :jerry:

Instinct can be a cruel mistress. Maybe you can help them out?

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy

Who What Now posted:

Our opponent will have a combat score of 8-13, meaning that we need to spend a minimum of 3 Essence and roll a max of 6 to beat his minimum roll. So to even have a good chance we'll need to put in a full 5 to have a decent chance of winning. But we're young, dumb, and full of Essence, so let's do it!

If we need to, we can absorb the rat for 5 essence, right?

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

ChrisHansen posted:

yep. also there will be other chances.

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy
All in gets my vote!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

ChrisHansen posted:

Yeah, in these kinds of books it's best to take risks early to get some good advantages and then become more cautious later.

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem
:hb::dunkedon::hb:

Who sez skeletons have to kill?

We're technically a "priest" remember???:confuoot:

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem
:w2byob: chill yourself :w2byob:

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Ok, we can do this. I ran the numbers and we'll win at a pretty high cost. If the thread is still belligerent when I get up tomorrow we'll kill this fool and go on to the gross bit of the game.

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem
Offer to let the man pet your nice rat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Let's roll them bones

• Locked thread