Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Riddle me this,Fleshy: what is a mass organisation for the benefit of labourers which takes no poo poo from the living?

the only correct answer is an immediate apology and reparations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005
I'm voting for riddles now because it's funnier and may get what we want out of talking anyway. Plus it may show off we were made by the warlock and not some podunk guy like this

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I vote Riddles too.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Riddles, then shank him before he can answer, because it doesn't matter what he thinks

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Toughy posted:

Riddles, then shank him before he can answer, because it doesn't matter what he thinks

Changing my vote to this

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Toughy posted:

Also changing my vote to this. We already don't have a nose, good start to being a sphinx.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Toughy posted:

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005

Toughy posted:

Riddles, then shank him before he can answer, because "being shanked" is the answer to the riddle

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Toughy posted:

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Toughy posted:

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Thia is gonna be void racers all over again

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
liberate the oppressed op

Dogstoyevsky
Oct 9, 2012

If there is no Dog, everything is permitted

Poland Spring posted:

Riddles, then shank him before he can answer, because "being shanked" is the answer to the riddle

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Toughy posted:

Changing my vote to this.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Riddles followed by a shanking it is! update tonight

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Toughy posted:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ohhhh, man, wow what a hit of nostalgia! I swear I must have had this book when I was a kid, or maybe my buddy Brad had it, because those illustrations are super familiar to me.

The only thing I really remember though was this one surprise ending. I don't think it was a winning ending but it had an awesome picture.

Basically, I'm sure this is a spoiler even if it's only one ending we probably won't get, but:
You wind up getting "resurrected" by some rear end in a top hat goody-two-shoes priest. It only worked if you still had your original skull, he does his mojo on the skull, and then you get "raised' and become a human with flesh on and everything and that's game over. But the best part: you're a woman! Maybe that's no big deal now, but I was just a kid and it was like a huge revelation to me and Brad. Woaaah.

And there was one more detail, and this is seriously a super-spoiler so only read this if you really don't care: you're a princess!

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

And there was one more detail, and this is seriously a super-spoiler so only read this if you really don't care: you're a princess!

Please tell me there's a sequel where we're a necromancer/Disney style princess

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Leperflesh posted:

Ohhhh, man, wow what a hit of nostalgia! I swear I must have had this book when I was a kid, or maybe my buddy Brad had it, because those illustrations are super familiar to me.

The only thing I really remember though was this one surprise ending. I don't think it was a winning ending but it had an awesome picture.

Basically, I'm sure this is a spoiler even if it's only one ending we probably won't get, but:
You wind up getting "resurrected" by some rear end in a top hat goody-two-shoes priest. It only worked if you still had your original skull, he does his mojo on the skull, and then you get "raised' and become a human with flesh on and everything and that's game over. But the best part: you're a woman! Maybe that's no big deal now, but I was just a kid and it was like a huge revelation to me and Brad. Woaaah.

RandomPauI posted:

Please tell me there's a sequel where we're a necromancer/Disney style princess

I don't want to give too much away. i'll find that picture though even if we don't get to that ending (I think you have to do a whole Snow White thing with the dwarves, it was in the other direction from the start). Anyway, update's coming very soon, wrestling with the scanner now.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Let's do this thing:

I forgot to update the adventure sheet so here's that. We've regained some essence from eating the rat:

Last time we were going to go chat with the necromancer. I found the bottom part of the page:

We're decepit, what with the barrel and rotting skull and all. That comes in handy here. We turn to 115:

We'll go with the riddle because all wizards have to do that, which is a thing we know somehow. Turning to 291:

There's a simple fight here. I took care of it. Most of the time our followers aren't useful in fights - they're over really fast anyway (a round represents ten seconds or so). Also they don't necessarily like us that much or want to fight. Unless the text is going on about them it's a fair bet they're not going to help.

I didn't quite go all out but nearly did. I used 6 ESSENCE a round for a total of 18. We took this guy out but it nearly wiped us out - and it could have been a lot worse.

Anyway time to figure out what's next. Don't sweat the ESSENCE - there are a few chances to recover nearby.

What do we do with the necromancer's corpse (raise it or rip a bit off)?

What's our next move?

current adventure scroll:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Are his arms or skull particularly useful? Otherwise raise him.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Who What Now posted:

Are his arms or skull particularly useful? Otherwise raise him.

I think his skull has some useful properties but I can't find the card to check. Maybe someone ITT has a copy some place

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

I don't have a scanner but I grabbed my old copy and it still has some of the cards, even! The skull is as follows:

quote:

Necromancer's Skull
Strange symbols carved in this skull give it a sinister look.
You are considered "skilled" when commanding undead. Elves distrust you.
I say we screw it on and try to rally the troops!

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Naw man that's not the right card this isn't the necromancer this is the Necromancer (Teen):

quote:

Necromancer (Teen) Skull
Somehow this skull still has a bad case of acne despite having no skin left.
Power Screech: The undeveloped vocal chords of this skull are still intact. At the start of a combat you may spend 2 Essence to shriek at your foe. If they have the ability to hear they are dazed and unable to fight for the first round. Two rounds if they have enhanced hearing. (See table 3b, senses of the land's inhabitants.

100 HOGS AGREE fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jun 2, 2016

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Naw man that's not the right card this isn't the necromancer this is the Necromancer (Teen):

What print edition do you have? There were some pretty wild rule changes to try and streamline things in prints after second edition. Mine says:

quote:

Necromancer (Teen) Skull
Somehow this skull still has a bad case of acne despite having no skin left.
Novice's Channeling: The first minion you raise per encounter costs two (2) fewer points of essence.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Who What Now posted:

What print edition do you have? There were some pretty wild rule changes to try and streamline things in prints after second edition. Mine says:

Mine came in a three ring binder and half the pages are very bad quality photocopies. The copyright page is just a screeching skull.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

That's Carl the one-legged cabbage merchant who only eats cabbage. Come on Avu, everyone knows Carl.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Let's union the place up. Decapitate the dude and use his head to make a crude steam whistle from the campfire, his canteen, and a spot of magic. Blow the whistle and inform the crew that as it is past dusk they are off for the day, then give them overtime pay from our purse. Rest until morning.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Mojo Threepwood posted:

Let's union the place up. Decapitate the dude and use his head to make a crude steam whistle from the campfire, his canteen, and a spot of magic. Blow the whistle and inform the crew that as it is past dusk they are off for the day, then give them overtime pay from our purse. Rest until morning.

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005
The answer to the riddle was "your mom"

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Mojo Threepwood posted:

Fellbat
Feb 23, 2014
The foul monsters name is Craig. But, idiot necromancer boy here only remembered the wizard end of this, he didn't fill form c-19 so he could do this with a union skeleton! This constitutes as a Collective Bargaining Agreement! So,

Mojo Threepwood posted:

Fellbat fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jun 2, 2016

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

Changing my vote to this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4kRQzZqSlI&t=5s

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem
Riddle Answer (if we're cheating, obviously):

Peg-Leg Pinny the Hellraiser Merchant

(one thousand pin-heads)

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
So we screw on the necromancer head, despite whatever other powers it has the enslaved skeletons will now vote for us as a competent foreman who's looking after their interests, we enlist them in the union and use their collective voting power to take over the bilgetown segment.

I'm pretty sure the necromancer head either made raising the dead easier or allowed you to command other undead as followers.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jun 2, 2016

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Answer to the riddle:
Rotten John's

I mean we can't really answer that on the path we've been along - we could if we happend this way after going to Bilgeton

Rotten John runs a vegetable stall in the market, it has
2 potatoes (potatoes have eyes)
2 ears of corn
A thousand heads of broccoli and cauliflower, variously
One foot is the width of a market pitch there
Two arms are 2 spears of asparagus

The spine is is ledger book for sales (some print editions had this as a spine gourd)
The two sides are of the coins he takes (heads and tails)
And the belly is Rotten John himself, gut all swollen and gassy from his leafy diet - hence also the stench

There is a red herring in the market too, a poet bookseller reciting loudly in one corner of the market square - one foot per line in a poetic sense, so each poem takes reams of paper making it one book per poem (spine), two sides to every story, one of the people reading his poems finds them amusing and is described as having 'a deep belly laugh', a thousand heads because he draws in the punters, a foul stench because our protagonist thinks his poetry 'Stinks', he has two coats of arms awarded to him by nobility and responds with 'aye aye' to his customers from his days as a young man sailing the oceans in search of stories. But - and it's hidden very subtly - he "wears only one gold earring in his left earlobe, having lost the other in a fight". Now, you could read that as ring, lobe, or ear, so it's a bit of a dick move.

But I mean the entry for the market stalls (there are like seven or so) runs several drat pages and it's only useful for this one riddle that's admittedly hard to get to once you've already hit Bilgeton, so most readers just skim over it anyway.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Dinosaurmageddon posted:

Riddle Answer (if we're cheating, obviously):

Peg-Leg Pinny the Hellraiser Merchant

(one thousand pin-heads)

Ah yes, the one-legged blacksmith is there too, with a thousand nails, obviously the arms are the twin swords he's crafting (nice weapon with good bonuses if you can get it), a couple more things I can't remember off the top of my head, but the catch on that one is bellow/belly and the tuneful ringing of his and his apprentice's hammer could be construed as two 'ears' for the two notes they sound, but it's a bit of a stretch even by this book's standards

simplefish fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jun 2, 2016

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Raise him, maybe if we control him we will gain the following of his other skeletons for killing their jerk boss and his unfair labor practices. At least they should be greatful for it, and we get one follower minimum, and turn the tables on the jerk boss, so he has to work for us.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Twenty Four posted:

Raise him, maybe if we control him we will gain the following of his other skeletons for killing their jerk boss and his unfair labor practices. At least they should be greatful for it, and we get one follower minimum, and turn the tables on the jerk boss, so he has to work for us.

please don't take it out on the skeleton you raised. in these games the skeletons are just the frame - the thing animating them is a wandering spirit who usually has no affiliation with the deceased.

Spoilered because it's a spoiler:

that's what makes the princess ending possible - you are a princess, sort of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

please don't take it out on the skeleton you raised. in these games the skeletons are just the frame - the thing animating them is a wandering spirit who usually has no affiliation with the deceased.

Spoilered because it's a spoiler:

that's what makes the princess ending possible - you are a princess, sort of.

Oh totally not taking it out on him afterwards, I'm sure he will be a cool bro once he is part of our skeleton army! But it still seems fitting, no? And gaining the favor of the other skeletons he was over working seems like a good plan!

• Locked thread