Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Looks like we're going to equip the sword, keep the shears in the barrel and eat the rat. sorry rat.

Microwaves Mom posted:

How does a skeleton consume a rat? Honestly it should be kept to produce rat milk. The milk is far more useful.

just sort of break it open like a quail and grind it up.

Outrail posted:

How much essence do we get from eating one of our followers? Theoretically I mean.

They don't want to be eaten! They think of themselves as more your buddies than your slaves.

Currently voting stands at

9 for every variation of openly following them/going up for a chat (we can select our attitude to them once they've given us their excuse). Most people want to have a talk to the skeles in skelecode, leaving the robed guy out of it if he's not able to understand.
2 for creeping up/around them
1 for sending your goon to distract them

So we'll keep walking at our current pace and catch up with them real soon, and then we'll find out if they're with the Union or not. I'll keep things open though because it's going to be a few hours before I get to the update. Two-Fisted Steve has a copy of this book that's not missing so many pages, and he's being a total bastard about the courier fees as usual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Well, we're going to go up to them. Our decrepit status could potentially help here:

Last page complete:

Turning to 247:

and wouldn't you know it... it looks like the batch of pages Two-Fisted Steve sent me have the same problem as the ones I already own.

Anyway, we've wandered in, the skellies don't want to talk but the dude wants a chat. What do we do?

E: whoops, uploaded wrong version of the page before!

Saint Isaias Boner fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jun 1, 2016

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

I wanted to get a little further in but ran out of time tonight. We should be approaching Bilgeton fairly soon and everything will go sideways from there, as anyone who's read this book before will be able to tell you. Consider this first stretch a warm-up

s0m3 guy posted:

isn't this the part where we become literal arms (and legs) dealers???

that is one of the things you can do with these guys, for sure

Saint Isaias Boner fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jun 1, 2016

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Three for straight-up shanking the dude, three for engaging him in riddles/rhymes, four for a chat (including demanding that he rubs your barrel, gotta assert your dominance over these pimple-faced creeps). It's pretty close.I'll give it an hour or two then go dig around for the pages to make the thing happen.

By the way it's good that we're decrepit for this encounter, rolling in while you're in good condition would put the guy on edge.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

i re-counted and got 5 for talk, 3 for shanking, 5 (now 6) for riddles/rhyming, and 3 for rousing the skeletons to overthrow their bourgeois oppressor.

I'm not good at counting, sorry

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Riddles followed by a shanking it is! update tonight

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Leperflesh posted:

Ohhhh, man, wow what a hit of nostalgia! I swear I must have had this book when I was a kid, or maybe my buddy Brad had it, because those illustrations are super familiar to me.

The only thing I really remember though was this one surprise ending. I don't think it was a winning ending but it had an awesome picture.

Basically, I'm sure this is a spoiler even if it's only one ending we probably won't get, but:
You wind up getting "resurrected" by some rear end in a top hat goody-two-shoes priest. It only worked if you still had your original skull, he does his mojo on the skull, and then you get "raised' and become a human with flesh on and everything and that's game over. But the best part: you're a woman! Maybe that's no big deal now, but I was just a kid and it was like a huge revelation to me and Brad. Woaaah.

And there was one more detail, and this is seriously a super-spoiler so only read this if you really don't care: you're a princess!

RandomPauI posted:

Please tell me there's a sequel where we're a necromancer/Disney style princess

I don't want to give too much away. i'll find that picture though even if we don't get to that ending (I think you have to do a whole Snow White thing with the dwarves, it was in the other direction from the start). Anyway, update's coming very soon, wrestling with the scanner now.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Let's do this thing:

I forgot to update the adventure sheet so here's that. We've regained some essence from eating the rat:

Last time we were going to go chat with the necromancer. I found the bottom part of the page:

We're decepit, what with the barrel and rotting skull and all. That comes in handy here. We turn to 115:

We'll go with the riddle because all wizards have to do that, which is a thing we know somehow. Turning to 291:

There's a simple fight here. I took care of it. Most of the time our followers aren't useful in fights - they're over really fast anyway (a round represents ten seconds or so). Also they don't necessarily like us that much or want to fight. Unless the text is going on about them it's a fair bet they're not going to help.

I didn't quite go all out but nearly did. I used 6 ESSENCE a round for a total of 18. We took this guy out but it nearly wiped us out - and it could have been a lot worse.

Anyway time to figure out what's next. Don't sweat the ESSENCE - there are a few chances to recover nearby.

What do we do with the necromancer's corpse (raise it or rip a bit off)?

What's our next move?

current adventure scroll:

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Who What Now posted:

Are his arms or skull particularly useful? Otherwise raise him.

I think his skull has some useful properties but I can't find the card to check. Maybe someone ITT has a copy some place

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Twenty Four posted:

Raise him, maybe if we control him we will gain the following of his other skeletons for killing their jerk boss and his unfair labor practices. At least they should be greatful for it, and we get one follower minimum, and turn the tables on the jerk boss, so he has to work for us.

please don't take it out on the skeleton you raised. in these games the skeletons are just the frame - the thing animating them is a wandering spirit who usually has no affiliation with the deceased.

Spoilered because it's a spoiler:

that's what makes the princess ending possible - you are a princess, sort of.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Blizzy_Cow posted:

Since we're about to be on Bilgeton will we be able to meet The Bastard Elf or is the no cross over outside of shared locations?

The Bastard Elf is Sir Tedbald, those are his troops we wasted and his uniform we're wearing

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Mojo Threepwood posted:

Let's union the place up. Decapitate the dude and use his head to make a crude steam whistle from the campfire, his canteen, and a spot of magic. Blow the whistle and inform the crew that as it is past dusk they are off for the day, then give them overtime pay from our purse. Rest until morning.

Let's do that, but there's a thing that'll happen before we can decide to take a rest.

Last page, complete.

We take 144:

Before we decide what's next, we now have an extra 170 Guilders, of which 150 are for the Union (but which we could spend if we have to).

We can only harvest Kevin and take his stuff, but for the record this is reanimated Kevin:

He doesn't look like much but the mage follower can be useful.

The things we can take if we want are:

and

The questions are:
  • take the skull, and if so do we replace our current skull or just tack it on?
  • Take any of the other items? If so what do we chuck? (wearing the cloak will mean we can't wear the tabard since we can only wear one thing at once).
  • What's next?

Essence is low but don't panic, we can stock up soon unless we do something stupid (always possible).

Current adventure scroll:

Raptor1033 posted:

Trick question, every elf is The Bastard Elf. Cause they're all fuckers. Is there a limit to how many followers we can have? I wasn't paying attention to that detail.

No limit, depending on how you're playing it's viable to harvest everything or raise everything, or something in between.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

we can't reanimate kevin but we can use his skull (we tore him to pieces just now to impress his employees)

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

I've managed to provoke Derek Smart so I'll probably earn a probation at a random time - with any luck it shouldn't be when it's time to post the update. If it happens then I'll have the update up, just a bit delayed.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Who What Now posted:

Skull - Replaced

Staff - Equipped

Robe - Thrown in the fire
, because it is the garb of the oppressor.

And go rattle at the Old Lady.

This looks like the thing to do. She's an Expository witch so it's a good move. I'll get the pages scanned. also I guess we'll ditch the sword.

Ahundredbux posted:

What's the point of being a skeleton if you're not swapping out random parts

:agreed:

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Continuing on (quick update this time):

Here's the bit I found from the last page:

We're going to swap out our head, take the staff and ditch the sword. We lose the sword arm bonus but there are better options coming up anyhow.

We're also going after the witch:

And we found her. I guess we could go in and talk, or.. poo poo. Well, please check your copies/memories while I dig around again.

Here's the latest adventure sheet:

I'm going to be in Birmingham for most of tomorrow for Reasons so there might be a delay to the update, though I'll check in on the thread and will find whatever pages need to be found some time tomorrow evening.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

i thought "burn the house down" was the obvious choice here but i forgot where i was for a second

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

i get the impression that we are going to seduce that witch. I mean I'll check back again later but I may as well start scanning the pages now.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

spacejew posted:

What's the union rules for leisure activities while on the clock?

Dont let the management catch you. We're not on the clock right now though since it's after hours.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Howdy y'all. I was stuck in Birmingham until pretty late, doing the rounds at the UK Games Expo. The good news - I met up with Two-Fisted Steve, who had another copy of this book with slightly more of the pages intact. The bad news is that one thing led to another and I punched him right in the face. I got held by the transit police for a little while but it's all ok now aside from the court hearing in a few weeks. Anyway thanks to all this I got home late but at least I didn't have to pay for the book!

The upshot is I didn't get time to scan in the whole sequence for the thing that's about to happen but I got about half of it. I'll upload the rest tomorrow unless y'all change your minds about what we're doing.

Here's yesterday's page complete:

:ok: We're going in! :ok:

and here's today's!

I assume we want to bust that move still so I'll start scanning as early as I can tomorrow.

E: adventure sheet's the same

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Poland Spring posted:

Hey it's not like we have osteoporosis or something we can do this

(This book had a weird amount of romantic subplot for a story about being a skeleton)

skeletons love too

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Dinosaurmageddon posted:

Also mind you we're a female skeleton (in beginner lichlord mode)

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

:ok::skeltal:let's get out bone on! :skeltal::ok:

Last time:

Turning to 150, we bust one hell of a move:

We're decrepit though. That's good right? 191

:dunkedon:

oh well. what now?

Our adventure scroll is the same as it's been for a while but here it is in case you forgot how much trouble we're in:

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

im not really interested in reading about unwilling skeleton/witch sex so, you know, do whatever isn't that

yeah this book doesn't go there

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

I dont know posted:

gently caress it. Lets just jump to page 395 and the Goblin King's magnificent codpiece. Cheating is half the game in these books anyhow.

Nyaa posted:

Pick whatever that will lead to Goblin King's magnificent codpiece

You spend the rest of time staring at that magnificent crotchpiece. But when a skeleton's doing what he loves best, forever is not long at all.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

so are we going to drop everything and do the fetch quest like a bunch of goony goons?

if so are we going to stay overnight or go immediately so that she knows we're keen?

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Aggie's crypt is somewhere to the south of the tower, a few days' walk away, and going directly there will mean ditching your union droogs and bypassing bilgeton altogether. I should have posted the map that came with this but it's been systematically ripped out of every copy of the book in existence for reasons I don't fathom.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

lol if having ever played one of these games you think you're not going to get your rear end kicked in for burning that house down. I'll post the bad ending along with whatever we decide to do.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Random Axis posted:

We could use some more essence. Can we summon the demon Netflixthras and chill--or something--to regain any?

Staying overnight is a full recovery. It's the last time the game is nice to us.

Poland Spring posted:

I think if you go to bilgeton later anyway things are... different so this could get interesting. Plus who knows, maybe we'll see our union buddies somewhere else!

yep and yep.

So as far as I can tell we'll stay overnight (on the couch), and set off in the morning to get a printer cauldron for Aethelweird, sound OK? This will mean ditching the union skeles but we still have our one follower.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Blizzy_Cow posted:

Can we still be effected by drug use? If so I say we look through the witches stash and see what we can get a hold of.

i already scanned the pages, just preparing the update! :argh:

In answer to your question - yes, just like in sword of the bastard elf potions are dangerous and unreliable things that can ruin your entire day, but as a skeleton we're not as affected by them. There are pages of pointless rules for what happens if you go around eating pixies and quaffing potions. In an unrelated matter, I'd better scan in the pages for what happens when you go around eating pixies

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

I Greyhound posted:

That triggers the "wave of mutilation", right?

among other things! on the plus side it's a great way to get lots of limbs or pixies in your army if you want pixies in your army

:ok:

191 - complete!

We decide not to be a creep. Despite what I said earlier I didn't have time to scan in the bad ending but maybe I'll get a chance later. It includes a picture of a very dapper skeleton going his own way. he is wearing a fedora

In the meantime we turn to 265:

We regain 50 ESSENCE, putting us roughly back where we started from. We've finished the first leg of the journey and are heading into the middle section now - Bilgeton or the route around the city is the second act. We have chosen to go get the cauldron so we'll leave our skelefriends in the lurch and make a beeline for either the Tower or the crypt - 250:

ugh

We're at a fork in the road. I think i recall there's a bunch of goblins in the hills and pixies in the swamps but I'm not 100% on it. I'll dig around for the scrap I need to make this work while y'all have a think about it.

Here's the adventure sheet:

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Looks like goblins are ahead. I'd like to remind you of something from Bastard Elf before we go that way though (211):

not that we're necessarily up against the same dude but H. Skull apparently thought the Goblin King was pretty tough.

:agreed:

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Never too late to vote (until it is)

I have it at 9-5 for the goblins over the pixies for now though.

Blizzy_Cow posted:

What happens if we eat an elf? Are the effects better or worst than downing a few pixies?

Elves are supposed to be quite filling but they don't cause you to trip balls.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Dinosaurmageddon posted:

Can we stock up on pixie minions real quick to chuck 'em at the goblins when their king appears? That's the only way I think we could currently even stand a chance to win a fight with the Thin White Duke on our first try without losing and then being sucked into a whole bunch of fetch quests inside the Labyrinth (repairing walls fitted to non-euclidean geometries, no less!).

We're still trying to get to the Warlock's Tower, mind you~!

maybe don't pick a fight with david bowie when you see him? everything he's done he's done for you after all

E: goblins coming very shortly. I warned you about things going sideways, and welp. Good luck!

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

The codpiece is in the item deck so you can get it, theoretically.

Anyway sorry for the late update, I thought it'd be worth chasing down all the cards for the next page for this update instead of for the next one.

250, complete:

We're heading for the hills where the goblins are.

Turning to 32:

So here we see a pile of dead demons and smashed skeles. The skeletons are beyond our power but we could raise or harvest the demons.

There's a cacodemon:
or
A howler:
or
And two Dust Devils:
or
or

You might notice they have the card type Demon : that means raising them costs half of whatever it would usually cost to raise a creature of that ESPRIT. Harvesting them costs the full usual amount. Bear in mind that if we get rid of all our "handy" arms we won't be able to carry stuff or use weapons, and if we swap both the torso and the default arm we won't be decrepit any more.

So what do we do with all these corpses, if anything? and

What's our next move?

Here's the adventure scroll:

(it hasn't changed)

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

if we're going to harvest the lot do you want to swap out the parts we already have or lump them all together? Events just around the corner are going to hinge on our standing with the Union.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

I forget, is the 'caca-daemon' Easter egg in this book or one of the others?

there are more demon-related jokes in "Forge of the Cocksmith", demons are kind of incidental to this one unless we go full summoner (this is the one with the cacademon though, it's closer to a dog egg than an easter egg)

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Gridlocked posted:

Yeah we are fairly loving monstrous and will likely get kicked out of the union.

Outrail posted:

Stealing dues is pretty bad. We could be our already.

Unless you break the rule about dehumanizing the book will let you know if the union has kicked you out, so just take it easy! Those guys'll be fine I'm sure.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

I dont know posted:

Take Caco-nut, raise all other demons, stay in good standing with union. We ain't no filthy scab.

This seems to be the general idea, so if there aren't any objections we can do that.

Next question : what now? These corpses didn't make themselves and there's some kind of fracas going on ahead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

you can totally piss off the union and do your own thing, but since we've come this far i'd leave it just one or two more pages before deciding to do that

if we're raising a couple of dust devils and the howler we'll have a small but respectable squad for the mess that's coming up.

• Locked thread