Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Dia definitely isn't as against school idols as she presents, though. She knows way too much about the Love Live. We're going to be through her objections much faster than we were with Eli's I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clamp down and keep going
Jun 19, 2013
First episode was real good. I liked Maru messing with Yohane.

As much I'd want to complain about the retreaded plot points, Dia plays the strict student council role better than Eli ever did.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Dia definitely isn't as against school idols as she presents, though. She knows way too much about the Love Live. We're going to be through her objections much faster than we were with Eli's I think.

Yeah, she's got the knowledge of the mechanics that Nico had, the prez position of Eli, and the wind sorcery of Nozomi. The ultimate third year.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Futaba Anzu posted:

look forward to my future episode recaps every week!

oh wait i found the meme response to this post and others like it

for the record i'm cool with the dissent but i like me some jokes sprinkled in here and there

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Futaba Anzu posted:

look forward to my future episode recaps every week!
Hatewatching is lame.

Don't do it, or at least do it elsewhere.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I am still very excited for Sunshine

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

One benefit I didn't realise Sunshine would have over the original is that it doesn't need to sell the concept of School Idols, it can assume most people know about them and get through the exposition quicker. In general the pacing's a lot better. It's only episode 1 and all the main characters (except Mari I suppose) have been introduced and have already been basically connected to the club.

Anyway, episode was good and I liked the new songs. And i'm glad that outside of the Student Council President not liking Idols for some reason nothing else really seems to be a repeat from the first season.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The MC seems like Honkers 2.0 though. She's extremely genki and motivated and it seems like another retread of the same main character.

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat
Okay, how does Riko not know about school idols. Her uniform's bow is blue, meaning she was either in the same class year as Muse's first years, or it's been 3-4 years for the bow color to cycle back. So School idols were literally either her school presidents or the reason she was able to even attend Otonokizaka. ...On second re-watch, Chika seems to be in her high school uniform when she sees the ad/announcement of Muse being the winners of the second Love Live! (although why is the video of START:DASH instead of the song they sung for it?), so it seems like Riko was classmates with the Muse first years. What, did she never attend any Otonokizaka school functions? Skipped the graduation? Never had to compete with Maki for piano space in the music room?

Anyway, for that matter, wouldn't've Chika recognized Riko's uniform if she were such a Muse fangirl?

I do like the little hint of conflict between so-poor-I-have-to-stop-school Kanan and Ohara "I Have A Helicopter" Mari though.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

The MC seems like Honkers 2.0 though. She's extremely genki and motivated and it seems like another retread of the same main character.

I don't think just being genki is enough for me to consider Chika a repeat, if that's all it took you could just as easily call her a copy of Rin. Like, the biggest thing we got out of Chika in episode 1 was her reasons for wanting to be an idol which were different to what Honkers was. I guess it helps that episode 1 of Sunshine was pretty different from the first episode of the original just because there wasn't a "save our school" plot, but she didn't seem to act exactly like Honoka. She's similar yeah and maybe future episodes will show them to be more alike but just from episode 1 she appeared different enough to me.

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

As long as there are funny faces, this show will be good

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Dungeon Man posted:

Okay, how does Riko not know about school idols. Her uniform's bow is blue, meaning she was either in the same class year as Muse's first years, or it's been 3-4 years for the bow color to cycle back. So School idols were literally either her school presidents or the reason she was able to even attend Otonokizaka. ...On second re-watch, Chika seems to be in her high school uniform when she sees the ad/announcement of Muse being the winners of the second Love Live! (although why is the video of START:DASH instead of the song they sung for it?), so it seems like Riko was classmates with the Muse first years. What, did she never attend any Otonokizaka school functions? Skipped the graduation? Never had to compete with Maki for piano space in the music room?

Anyway, for that matter, wouldn't've Chika recognized Riko's uniform if she were such a Muse fangirl?

I do like the little hint of conflict between so-poor-I-have-to-stop-school Kanan and Ohara "I Have A Helicopter" Mari though.

The bow color works differently, actually - it stays constant with the year, which you can see for both Otonokizaka and Uranohoshi. From the movie, at the end, Arisa and Yukiho have green bows, consistent with Nico/Eli/Nozomi during their depicted time as third years. Chika's flashback bow color is orange, which Yohane/Hanamaru/Ruby wear when they show up.
I do agree, though, you'd think that Chika would at least recognize the skirt pattern or something. If she was able to watch the START:DASH performance, if but that one they showed when she was talking to Riko, the skirt alone would've been enough of a tip-off... though maybe against the setting sun and from that original distance when she first saw Riko, that might not have been good enough conditions to permit proper recognizing. And then the uniform was folded neatly next scene with skirt semi-hidden under, but still, the bow was on top and that's something Chika could've recognized too from that START:DASH performance.
But yeah, if you also assume that Riko was there at the same time as Maki/Rin/Hanayo, it'd be very suspect that she doesn't know jack about Muse... unless she's intentionally not letting on about it, which might come into play with her refusal to join at the end of this first episode?

We'll see in a week or more.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Yohane went from zero to Best Girl in record time.

She's screaming "JESUS CHRIST!" in the lower left image. :allears:

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?

graybook posted:

OP cg >>> insert song CG imo.

Though I do agree in wishing they hadn't retread the "student council prez is the roadblock to establishing the idol club" beat. I can't immediately think of something to replace that though.

What if they just formed the club without anyone having to throw paper and scream a lot?

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Then we could have more full (or mostly-full) group insert songs, and uh. Uhm.
Hold on, it's coming to me. I think. Maybe.
Oh, there it is again. Okay. Then we could also get moments where a character has to deal with stuff, but gets the support of everyone in the group instead of like a couple of others?
Something like that.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I don't want a world where Dia is not mad all the time.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Allarion posted:

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
https://jii.moe/VyAeId-I-.webm

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Best scene of the episode.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Best scene of the episode.

To be fair, there were a lot of good scenes that episodes.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
good first episode, yohane was good, the characters were funny

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

just came in here to lol at using the words 'legitimately gross' to describe a sequel being a little too fawning over the thing it's a sequel to. welp, see you.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Allarion posted:

To be fair, there were a lot of good scenes that episodes.

Absolutely. It was a good episode all around. That scene just happens to be my favorite.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

What a great first episode. And now I have to wait for a week...

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
The girls all went from "designs I haven't differentiated, plus chuuni" to everyone in the ep being recognizable. Loved all the expressive scenes coming right out the door.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Allarion posted:

Just let her be adorably mad at petty things like kanji instead of at the prospect of a school idol club.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

The animation is really good and they got better on the CG parts what the gently caress I'm impressed :golfclap:

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

Command Ant posted:

Yohane went from zero to Best Girl in record time.

She's screaming "JESUS CHRIST!" in the lower left image. :allears:

http://dancepartysolosolo.tumblr.com/post/143347422946/yohane-tsushima-jesus-christo

The most insane parts of Love Live don't actually make it into the anime. That's true for the original as well.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?
Dia can be crazy and angry. I'm actually very okay with that. I'm less okay when she seems to be reenacting the same old plotline where she is the student council president with a Serious Childhood Trauma that can only be solved with the power of amateur song and dance, and in general I just wish the idol crew could be weird friends who have weird adventures together instead of being just barely capable of tolerating each other for the sake of anime music videos.

It's also just kind of jarring because in the magazines, Dia was still supportive of the club, despite being unwilling to join herself, instead of being outright hostile, but I guess the anime is set in the dark alternate timeline.

Daxing Dan fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jul 3, 2016

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Daxing Dan posted:

Dia can be crazy and angry. I'm actually very okay with that. I'm less okay when she seems to be reenacting the same old plotline where she is the student council president with a Serious Childhood Trauma that can only be solved with the power of amateur song and dance, and in general I just wish the idol crew could be weird friends who have weird adventures together instead of being just barely capable of tolerating each other for the sake of anime music videos.

It's also just kind of jarring because in the magazines, Dia was still supportive of the club, despite being unwilling to join herself, instead of being outright hostile, but I guess the anime is set in the dark alternate timeline.

I think you're overstating the similarities. We're supposed to see the similarities right now, setting up expectations to knock them down and all that, but really all she has in common with eli is the presidency and initially being against the group. And heck, that latter describes half the girls of both shows.

I think Dia loves school idols but has decided on her own that it's either improper or impossible to make happen at Uranohoshi - perhaps she thinks it's impossible to do it well due to the lack of talent, and to do it poorly would be unseemly. There's some clues as to how this might resolve on her character page, but I suspect some of that is what she's to tell herself (and others) to try to disguise the fact that she's going to be super gung-ho about Aqours.

I'm just spitballing, but I really like how Dia was portrayed in the dramas, and how she's acted in the first episode doesn't really seem much different. Contrast with Eli, who's practically a different character before she joins μ's.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

lol

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Did very good job converting me from hating the very core to liking it and wanting more. Rich girl best girl. I hope she has 10 seconds of screen time and her own entrance music forever.

Doesn't really seem like that much of a retread to me. This main girl seems astronomically more ambitious and the student council girl is totally set up to be the idol obsessive instead of whatever drama bomb. I unno, show just seems more fun than the old one.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

*roflchika*

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

I thought it was a fine translation of chikawww

Ah, and I forgot to link the source.

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat

graybook posted:

The bow color works differently, actually - it stays constant with the year, which you can see for both Otonokizaka and Uranohoshi. From the movie, at the end, Arisa and Yukiho have green bows, consistent with Nico/Eli/Nozomi during their depicted time as third years. Chika's flashback bow color is orange, which Yohane/Hanamaru/Ruby wear when they show up.
I do agree, though, you'd think that Chika would at least recognize the skirt pattern or something. If she was able to watch the START:DASH performance, if but that one they showed when she was talking to Riko, the skirt alone would've been enough of a tip-off... though maybe against the setting sun and from that original distance when she first saw Riko, that might not have been good enough conditions to permit proper recognizing. And then the uniform was folded neatly next scene with skirt semi-hidden under, but still, the bow was on top and that's something Chika could've recognized too from that START:DASH performance.
But yeah, if you also assume that Riko was there at the same time as Maki/Rin/Hanayo, it'd be very suspect that she doesn't know jack about Muse... unless she's intentionally not letting on about it, which might come into play with her refusal to join at the end of this first episode?

We'll see in a week or more.

You're totally right! :shobon: I'm totally confused--I coulda sworn reading the one color per class thing was how it was in Japan for some bizarro reason. (Although, what actually sinks my assumption isn't the siblings in green thing, since them wearing green was consistent with my mistaken belief. What cinches it is Nico's flashback trying to start her own idol group in her first year--she's wearing a blue ribbon. Also, wow I totally missed Chika's bow being orange in that flashback too. DERP)

I don't think we know how long after Muse Aqours is, but unless it's several years, I'd think it'd still be weird Riko has seriously never heard of school idols. Why wouldn't Otonokizaka try to market the hell out of it given that popularity is what kept the school open? They won a national competition and were invited to America! ...But then again, towns around here have [TownName] HS State Division Champs 1986 1994 on the water towers. I don't think Riko's supposed to be feigning ignorance; she reacts with polite curiosity instead of trying to change the subject from school idols. I think we're just supposed to think she just lives in a bubble. v:v:v A really, really thick bubble.

the real question is

how can you fold clothes on a beach that nice :negative:

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
https://jii.moe/VJxtdA8UW.webm

rude, zura

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I think I'm going to rewatch the first episode tonight on funi to support the legal stream, and because I want to.

Yoshiko!

X
X
X
X
X

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Hey are you into Love Live Sunshine AND Telegram? Then go hog wild on these stickers:

https://telegram.me/addstickers/lovelivesunshine