Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Hell, we're even doing highway expansions like that. Heavily congested commute routes getting toll express lanes added and managed by for profit companies that take the majority of the profits (just like traffic camera management companies).

Yeah, highways are actually profitable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeff smisek
May 18, 2009

Node posted:

A second train has hit the tower

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
no room no demand no money

also the fastest trains in USA still share tracks with freight trains going 10mph

its prob the most unfortunate thing about not being bombed during WW2 and getting to start over with cool 20th century stuff

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Mariana Horchata posted:

no room no demand no money

also the fastest trains in USA still share tracks with freight trains going 10mph

its prob the most unfortunate thing about not being bombed during WW2 and getting to start over with cool 20th century stuff

so in a way you're saying hitler was right

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Faster stuff = more safety needed.
More safety needed = more regulations and laws.
More regulations and laws = more opposition from batshit 'no Big gubment free market guns' Republicans

This is why mostly, only when it's ok to allow a few hundred to die every now and again with no liability then you will get your faster trains.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Gaunab posted:

so in a way you're saying hitler was right

nah mussolini had the trains, and hitler was a car guy who built the autobahn and the people's wagen

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

only when elon musk makes us

its called the hypernoob tube

Zarimus
Jul 27, 2006

numberoneposter posted:

only when elon musk makes us

its called the hypernoob tube

Hypernoob will never work because all the plans show cramped seating with no bathrooms.

Maybe if every seat is also a toilet...

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Zarimus posted:

Hypernoob will never work because all the plans show cramped seating with no bathrooms.

just build hypernoobs between the big highways like I-5 raised up. gently caress if it traveled at even a 1/2 of what its planned to it would be a success and being bigger would obviously accommodate not travelling like you are in the book Forever War being strapped down to withstand gforces

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 00:08 on May 28, 2016

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Someone get Peter Thiel to fund a maglev project

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
your mom embraces high speed traisn

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
trainsphobia

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004
America doesn't really like trannies all that much, they are kinda gross. Shemales moving quickly is too big of a pill to swallow for most of us.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
Serious answer: with changing demographics, a steadily increasing price of oil, and a gradual improvement in technology.

Changing demographics is pretty self-explanatory. The millennial generation on the whole doesn't want to live in the suburbs, and has smaller families. This isn't just a temporary change. As this becomes more of the norm, and housing prices are transformed, commuting by rail will make more sense. My own guess is that since cities are being priced upwards, millenials will start moving into smaller towns, urbanizing them, and wanting faster rail. For example, a lot of towns in San Francisco's central valley might be filled with people who want to work in the Bay Area.

The price of oil has gone up and down, but at some point, it will just keep going steadily up and with each nickel increase, it will make a car centered lifestyle less practical. People who aren't ditching suburbs for lifestyle reasons will just find it easier and better to take trains.

As for technological improvements, that is just a catch all magic wand.

And there is my serious answer.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

i hope a high speed train embraces u OP

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sE4A0nPjyqQ

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Somebody forgot to quote this post; you are all welcome.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

dreezy posted:

read title as "high speed trans" and thought that was a rude way to refer to caitlyn jenner.
she's going so fast holy fuk! look at hir go

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Fojar38 posted:

guys why doesnt this continent sized country do the same thing that my european country smaller than california does

lol yeah why doesn't the richest loving country in the world do anything useful with its money

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

That's really loving fast I feel like they should put at least some lovely fences around it. Also I bet everyone who lives out there in the country loving hates it cause it's loud as poo poo.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Gaunab posted:

America should be all over that poo poo but no one wants to fund it. Probably got something to do with the oil and plane companies and amtrak sucking.

op if your mothers screen name is America, then she's all about high speed trains

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

SHISHKABOB posted:

That's really loving fast I feel like they should put at least some lovely fences around it. Also I bet everyone who lives out there in the country loving hates it cause it's loud as poo poo.

It's so fast that you can't hear it though. That's the beauty of it, it's faster than sound so it's totally quiet.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

notZaar posted:

It's so fast that you can't hear it though. That's the beauty of it, it's faster than sound so it's totally quiet.

right u nut faster than sound so she don't feel it but that's not how it works otherwise

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

also seriouspost: because transport of coal has hosed our existing rail systems to the extent that they would have to be completely replaced in order to be used for high-speed trains

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

SHISHKABOB posted:

lol yeah why doesn't the richest loving country in the world do anything useful with its money

uh, i think you will find that the f35 is very useful for enriching incredibly corrupt politicians and contractors

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Zarimus posted:

Oh so just like regular public transportation then

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster
why the gently caress would we when cars are cheap and the infrastructure in place exists.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

SurfaceDetail posted:

why the gently caress would we when cars are cheap and the infrastructure in place exists.

Because we should be more like enlightened topless europe

BluPotato
Jul 18, 2006

they just need to be sold right, I mean I live in a state that turned down government money to build high speed rail because of things?!

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Because history shows the train will get built but then no one will ride it and it will become a huge money sink to maintain while it slowly deteriorates over the next few decades, you geek

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
i want to embrace a high speed train, with my face, and my meat parts

Gamer With Dignity
May 15, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Embrace high speed brains, op.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Embrace high speed grains, op.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

SurfaceDetail posted:

because the infrastructure in place is insufficient for modern traffic/living situations and in many places there's physically no room left for new lanes

because airlines are poo poo. it takes longer to check in and go through security than the flight itself when flying LA/SF

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007

Tuxedo Gin posted:

there's physically no room left for new lanes

I-5 in north Portland has fewer lanes than I-84 in Meridian, Idaho

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

happyhippy posted:

Faster stuff = more safety needed.
More safety needed = more regulations and laws.
More regulations and laws = more opposition from batshit 'no Big gubment free market guns' Republicans

This is why mostly, only when it's ok to allow a few hundred to die every now and again with no liability then you will get your faster trains.

This is the dumbest thing I've read in a while. I can't believe no one else has called you an idiot yet.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

In order to get to I-5 from San Jose you have to go on a windy two lane road through Gilroy and will inevitably get stuck behind a loving truck the whole way. Nevermind that any amount of traffic will make it a 90 minute nightmare.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

tenspott posted:

This is the dumbest thing I've read in a while. I can't believe no one else has called you an idiot yet.

http://www.citylab.com/politics/2013/11/how-republicans-killed-americas-high-speed-rail-plan/7458/

https://www.quora.com/Why-are-some-Republican-governors-e-g-John-Kasich-OH-and-Rick-Scott-FL-opposed-to-high-speed-rail

http://thehill.com/blogs/congress-blog/technology/279541-texas-high-speed-train-project-takes-land-from-texans-and-jobs

Don't need no high falut'in fast government money trains in my back yard y'hear now!

Edit: But no reguluations on safety at gas refinerys and coal mines, sure full steam ahead yee haw!

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 17:43 on May 29, 2016

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

everything to do with trains lately is a siren call for randians republicans and autists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I don't get this NO BUT AMERICA IS SO BIG TRAINS CAN'T WORK!! thing. Yeah, there's huge tracts of sparsely populated territory. Those are not the places anyone wants to build high speed rail in.

• Locked thread