Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster

Tuxedo Gin posted:

because the infrastructure in place is insufficient for modern traffic/living situations and in many places there's physically no room left for new lanes

because airlines are poo poo. it takes longer to check in and go through security than the flight itself when flying LA/SF

move out of the inner city dum dum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
A high speed line up each coast would be accessible by like 80% of the population*.

*number pulled from rear end, but probably pretty accurate.

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

The population density is too low. You would have to drive for 40 minutes to the station, as opposed to walking taking/public transport to get there. You might as well take a plane at that point. Basically it will happen when you somehow manage to round up all Americans and shove them into communist style concrete hellscape that the rest of the world lives in.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

You have to drive (admittedly less) to the airport as well, but then no three hours in security line and zero chance you get a hand up your rear end.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

BluPotato posted:

they just need to be sold right, I mean I live in a state that turned down government money to build high speed rail because of things?!

i assume you're from ohio and that rail was like, barely faster than just driving to the place my man

and if youre speeding like a cool person it wasnt faster

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
The Acela is a high speed train. It can only high speed for some small fraction of the trip because it has to share 100 year old tracks with freight and regular commuter rail. We'd need to eminent domain a bloody hole through the country to get actual fast.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

also yo canada doesnt have no high speed rail and i thought they were cooler than us???

guess not

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

SurfaceDetail posted:

move out of the inner city dum dum

i live in a rural census area with a population of <10k

doesn't mean we shouldn't have well managed infrastructure in and between cities.

the solution to poor urban planning isn't "cities and suburbs are too expensive - create exurbs and commute by car into the cities"

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Germstore posted:

You have to drive (admittedly less) to the airport as well, but then no three hours in security line and zero chance you get a hand up your rear end.

Don't worry, if enough non-poors start riding trains the TSA will make rail travel miserable too.

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Thank you for proving my point about how dumb you are. You are really dumb. I'm talking borderline retarded here.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Elukka posted:

I don't get this NO BUT AMERICA IS SO BIG TRAINS CAN'T WORK!! thing. Yeah, there's huge tracts of sparsely populated territory. Those are not the places anyone wants to build high speed rail in.

Yeah good luck buying up the necessary land in Manhattan or DC and getting all the neighbors on board

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Mange Mite posted:

Yeah good luck buying up the necessary land in Manhattan or DC and getting all the neighbors on board

Yeah- uh- someone should get on getting a train station in manhattan and dc-

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Germstore posted:

Yeah- uh- someone should get on getting a train station in manhattan and dc-

We have trains in those places, and millions of people use those trains every year. If we SHUT IT DOWN to replace everything with faster trains, it would be absolute chaos.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
i would like fast trains too. but yeah the current railways are poo poo and it doesn't seem like the higher ups actually want to pay for the work to fix things so our trains are gonna be stuck living in the 1870s for a long time.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Mange Mite posted:

Are you confusing high speed rail with, like, trams?

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
Trains are terrible. America is wise not to build any.
They are late all the time, when there is any kind of "bad" (rain, heat, wind) weather they just stop running altogether.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Elukka posted:

Are you confusing high speed rail with, like, trams?

Im saying anywhere with a dense population doesn't need high speed rail

yogizh
Oct 12, 2015
Dumb Helicopter Joke Enthusiast
Elon Musk planned to build the Hyperloop thing between Wien and Bratislava. People are dumb enough to bitch about Musk being crooked and poo poo.
Trains are good, people are dumb. If there were proper speed trains I wouldn't even consider flying under current conditions. Can't drive a train into a skyscraper right ?

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Mange Mite posted:

Im saying anywhere with a dense population doesn't need high speed rail

Like Japan.

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

:parrot:
There was going to be a high speed rail line running from Chicago/Milwaukee/Madison/Minneapolis-St Paul, and the previous governor of WI and mayor of Milwaukee had gone through a lot of effort and invested state money to bring a large train manufacturing company to Milwaukee County and secured over $800 million federal stimulus money to build the rail line.

Then Walker got elected. He said he would only take the stimulus money if it could be used to improve one existing train line and state roads, which of course was never going to happen and he knew it. It was a "rejection of wasteful government spending" where he stops a very promising project and lets the money get dumped into California's rail line projects; therefor it still gets spent but he robbed his own state of the jobs and mass transit it would have provided. Then he refused to pay the train manufacturer for the trains the state had ordered for the high speed rail line, costing that company over $50 million.

It would probably be at least partially completed by now if he hadn't been elected.

Acid Haze fucked around with this message at 21:28 on May 29, 2016

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Tabula rasa in 1945.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

And jeez, currently-slow amtrak ain't even worth it. was just planning a vacay for later this year and I always look at train prices because riding a train can be very pleasant even if it takes longer--2 tix that run through a single line are barely cheaper than 2 plane tickets that'll get you to the same place in like 1/5th of the time. I imagine new high speed rail tickets are gonna be PRICEY. My GF lived in Nagoya for a grip, she and her friends would just take the bus to Tokyo than pay the premium to get on the shinkansen.

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
Just stick some luxury passenger cars onto freight trains where you can get a whole cabin at megabus prices, jeez

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Were talking the us not places nobody cares about.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Misc posted:

And jeez, currently-slow amtrak ain't even worth it. was just planning a vacay for later this year and I always look at train prices because riding a train can be very pleasant even if it takes longer--2 tix that run through a single line are barely cheaper than 2 plane tickets that'll get you to the same place in like 1/5th of the time. I imagine new high speed rail tickets are gonna be PRICEY. My GF lived in Nagoya for a grip, she and her friends would just take the bus to Tokyo than pay the premium to get on the shinkansen.

The northeast regional's business class is pretty alright.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
trains are dumb

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

the richest country on the planet can't do something because

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Chinatown posted:

trains are dumb

trains don't disappear into the ocean though

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum

Acid Haze posted:

There was going to be a high speed rail line running from Chicago/Milwaukee/Madison/Minneapolis-St Paul, and the previous governor of WI and mayor of Milwaukee had gone through a lot of effort and invested state money to bring a large train manufacturing company to Milwaukee County and secured over $800 million federal stimulus money to build the rail line.

Then Walker got elected. He said he would only take the stimulus money if it could be used to improve one existing train line and state roads, which of course was never going to happen and he knew it. It was a "rejection of wasteful government spending" where he stops a very promising project and lets the money get dumped into California's rail line projects; therefor it still gets spent but he robbed his own state of the jobs and mass transit it would have provided. Then he refused to pay the train manufacturer for the trains the state had ordered for the high speed rail line, costing that company over $50 million.

It would probably be at least partially completed by now if he hadn't been elected.

lol Rick Scott in FL did the same exact thing.

poo poo yes I would use rail in florida. Their highways were my biggest nightmare in the world to drive on.

Imapanda fucked around with this message at 23:40 on May 29, 2016

naem
May 29, 2011

Mange Mite posted:

Because we should be more like enlightened topless europe

Skinny hairy armpit 6/10 topless beaky nosed women for all :911:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

kazr posted:

the richest country on the planet can't do something because

You dont get rich by wasting money

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

E: gently caress sorry, it's trains.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I live in the UK and get the train to work. It is almost always on time...

Perhaps we have a secret fascist government? :ohdear:

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

Mange Mite posted:

Embrace high speed grains, op.

This is how fast my dick rises when I think about Daisy Ridley :love:

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Parity warning posted:

Embracing a high speed train sounds dangerous op but thankfully Americans have too much common sense for that

Americans don't have enough common sense to avoid regular trains, much less high speed ones

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

more rails for me to jo on plz

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW
Jenner killed somebody with her car and was then named "Woman of the Year," so America has already pretty emphatically embraced them.

NegroOnlyGloryHole
May 30, 2016

by Shine

Harveygod posted:

Jenner killed somebody with her car and was then named "Woman of the Year," so America has already pretty emphatically embraced them.

If a normal guy killed someone with their car and then cut their dick off people would say there were insane, but bruce is made lady of the year

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.
When is America going to embrace investing in national infrastructure?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Americars do what trains don't

• Locked thread