Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Reading this and the "Descaladed" thread has me thinking about buying one. Any advice to someone (not auto inclined) who is looking to purchase an Escalade? My budget would likely be around $15k, and I'm in Colorado. Any particular engines/generations/years to look for or stay away from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Black88GTA posted:

For that kind of money you can get a newer truck, but for a 2nd gen (GMT800, 2002-2006), the 2002 has a lot of "one off" parts that were only used that model year, although there are a couple minor things with the 2002s that are arguably better (cabin filters, floor illumination IIRC, etc). GM took out cabin filters and changed a few other things for the 2003 - 2006s although it's potentially easy (depending on the type of airbox you have) to add them back into the later models. I did this on my 2003. TPMS was added in 2004. I think there are other things, but that's all I can remember offhand.

e: 2002-2003 models equipped with navigation had a non-touchscreen unit that used a joystick. 2004-2006 had a touchscreen unit, although incredibly low res and clunky by today's standards. Base CD / cassette deck was the same for all of them if I'm remembering right.

wallaka posted:

Get a Yukon. 2007+ gets the new body style. An Escalade is a $5000 premium for the same vehicle. I'm saying this as a 2009 Escalade owner. You'll lose a few horsepower but they're identical otherwise.

Thanks for the info. I hadn't considered the Yukon but I'll give them a look. I realize this is a vague question but should I be scared off by high-mileages on these vehicles? Are the 5.3L, 6.0L, and 6.2L pretty solid engines?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Seminal Flu posted:

Good information...

Thanks for this. I'm relatively new to living in a snowy state but I know corrosion is always a concern up here. I might start scouting out vehicles in Florida and since I have family down there, do a fly-n-drive. Thanks again!

• Locked thread