Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Seconding cam (you probably also need to move to a torque converter with a higher stall speed with this) and headers. Also, the 4.2 getting that low of gas mileage is hilarious to me. The 5.3 in my avalanche managed to get ~26mpg over a 3k mile roadtrip that included me driving it like a gaping dickhole through the ozarks and doing 90 most of the time I was on a freeway. Still wish I had a 6.0 though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Except the that engine should have a metal heat shield surrounding the bottom of the wire to protect it from the exhaust manifold. Gm says gently caress your fancy tool.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Is it one of those 16" steelies off the base silverado? I know thats what the avalanche and suburbans had as a spare, but not sure about the escalades.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

What year did the 5.3s start getting DoD?

Friend of mine has an older 5.3 Yukon that he's trying to learn how to wrench on. Pretty sure his is too old for that, but it'd be nice to be able to warn him of potential issues. He has really low miles on it (<100k), at least....

The knock sensors sit under the intake manifold in recessed holes in the valley pan. They will rust out and die. Replace both at the same time along with the section of harness leading to them, dorman makes a decent replacement. Also put a ridge of rtv around the holes to extend the life of the new ones. The evap purge valve and solenoid also love to poo poo the bed. Other than that and possible piston slap issues due to it being an '01, its just regular maintenance poo poo.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Its not bad, just irritating and almost assuredly going to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
That obx setup should have it coming out just like the borla so long as it matches the pic youbposted. Granted, Its now been almost 9 months since I've looked at the exhaust of a gm suv/truck that closely.

• Locked thread