Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Looks pretty clean from the outside :v:

So did you stay in your budget? If so looks like a drat good find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

meatpimp posted:

$11k, plus $227 for a one-way ticket. From looking for almost a month solid, it was by far the best buy I've seen. Cleaning it up and bringing it North adds value. Once I get it clean up here, it's a $14k truck.

Yep, I got almost twice the value for a Florida 4x4 XJ I took up to New York. Of course that was after all the hate email I got because how dare I ask more than the local market selling prices! I'll NEVER get that much for an XJ!.... I sold it in less than two weeks :v:

But yeah great find, it's totally worth flying down to get a rust free car, these days the internet makes it easy.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

What is this fluid film you speak of? From the sounds of it I probably wouldn't even need it down here.

It's crazy that car manufacturers can't use stainless steel on something as important as brake lines, you would think that kind of poo poo would be mandated but no, penny pinching is more important than people getting killed yay 'murica.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So is there a way to prevent the haze from even happening? The lenses on the Lexus are perfect and I'd like to keep them that way if I could.

Also for the plug wires use any sort of pry tool you can fit in there to get some leverage, but don't do it until you have a new set of plugs and wires ready to go in case they break off. Kinda surprised that truck isn't COP.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah don't bother with the free air sub, ain't worth it. I just got a powered JL 10" to put in the LS430 to put in the trunk, if you're going that route go ahead and remove the old free air sub completely so you have a place for a trunk sub to come through.

Also where did you pick up the glue PDR stuff? Does Harbor freight happen to sell it? I gotta pull some dents out of the Miata.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah same thing happened with my '02 Crown Vic. Super sloppy steering and weird vibrations coming through to the steering wheel, spraying the joint with lube helped for a bit, but once I finally replaced two of the shafts/joints the steering felt incredible and I regretted not doing it sooner. If the joints are cheap and easy to replace just do it, will make a huge difference.

If it's costly and a pain don't bother though.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I gotta do it on my Subaru but the STI rag joint is like 200 stupid dollars.

Jesus :stare:

kastein posted:

I never said buy new, hell with that. Go to the junkyard and pillage an almost new one from a car that someone just had it replaced on - costs $20 whether it's new or just about to fail. :v:

I imagine that happens a lot up north because poo poo rusts and you gotta replace it, but down here that's a rare occurrence. People just drive the cars until it costs more to fix than the car is worth and junk them, and every part on the car is worn to poo poo.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I just use Zerex Asian which is red just like Toyota coolant but cheaper. Napa usually stocks it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah I got premix since I just needed to top off, but I'm kinda surprised they don't carry it non diluted.

I think you'll be fine just as long as you flush the old poo poo out with water and then try to get as much water out as you can, then just fill er up with pre mix.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Looks much better than the chrome wheels imo.

I'm looking for some OEM 18" painted wheels for the Lexus as well, since the "chrome" on the stock wheels is peeling off inside where the bead seats and they are notorious for causing leaks. Would rather not deal with it and the painted wheels look better too, I never was into blingy chrome wheels to begin with.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

When I got loaded struts for my Camry it did that a little but nowhere near that bad, Jesus.

I would cut the springs and sell it, no way it will sell for a reasonable price looking like that. Cutting off one coil won't hurt and should lower it enough.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Seminal Flu posted:

What are your thoughts, AI? If I throw $250 at the eBay exhaust, do you think it'll come out on the sides, or straight out the back? I'm not super-concerned with the sound, if it sounds like a bag of poo poo, I can always have a muffler shop weld a Magnaflow or Flowmaster into the same place... I just really don't want outlets straight out the back...

Just have a muffler shop fix whatever you don't like with it basically. I highly doubt they will come straight out the back, but if they do it's an easy fix.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I'm north of Sarasota across the Skyway in St.Pete.

Back when I bought our second Crown Vic it had a Cobra exhaust system on it but I didn't like the way it exited out the back, so I got new nicer tips and had the local muffler shop put them in at a downward angle just the way I wanted. The guy held the tips up to the car and put them at different positions/angles until I gave the ok and he welded them right up, cost me maybe 50 bucks.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Apr 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Good poo poo, glad the exhaust worked out!

• Locked thread