Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

:2bong:

Black88GTA posted:

The next car I buy is coming from the south, god drat.

These will change your life. Hands down the best tools for this I have ever used. Also works amazingly on heat fused vacuum / fuel / whatever lines in awkward places.

:stare: I never knew I needed those pliers until now.

And yeah... cars down here just don't rust. The paint takes a beating though, as does anything rubber under the hood; the interior does too unless you use good tint..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

meatpimp posted:

Looks like both the TPMS and Keyless Entry goes though a PDM (Passenger Door Module), which is the module on the passenger door that has the lock/unlock and window control buttons. I've got a replacement coming and I hope that takes care of the problem.

Do you need to program the new PDM to the car with a Tech2, or is it just plug and play?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Goddamn, I thought I was an ape.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

meatpimp posted:

I have a nice, new Android / Bluetooth Double-Din Nav with the Steering Wheel Control / OnStar / Chimes boxes that I pulled out of the Envoy, but... The Escalade has nice integration with the rear seat controls and XM. I'm leaning towards getting an Aux adapter so I can then add a Bluetooth adapter and call it good. Need a Nav disc to do that, though.

How attached are you to Onstar?

There's a module that replaces the Onstar system to add Bluetooth support (phone calls and streaming audio).

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Those cars are tanks, but I wouldn't call them easy to work on. Having to pull the goddamned upper intake to do much of anything is a pain in the rear end. Not specific to that car of course, it's just the way that engine is designed.

Good luck on the oil leaks. :laffo: I gave up on that fight years ago on mom's 03 Avalon. I think you might be able to pull the front valve cover without pulling the upper intake, but the rear valve cover is an absolute oval office to get to.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Seminal Flu posted:

I just pulled the JBL sub. Foam surround was perished long ago. Got a new surround coming, hopefully it makes good music.

It's.... okay. Nothing special to be honest.

CD changer still working?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Mom's 03 has the same cam setup, pretty sure they used that through the entire run of the 1MZ-FE?

VVTi was added at various years depending on the car model. I believe the Lexus models got it in 99, Avalon in 99 or 00. Camry didn't get it until 2003 or so, I think.

What's funny is the Lexus models were advertised as requiring 91 octane, while the Toyota models were advertised as requiring 87. It's the same engine, ECU, tune, etc.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Depends on the gas station. If I were to fill up a 17 gallon tank from empty with 87 vs 91 at the one by my apartment, I'd be looking at about a $9 difference.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Let me know how the Detroit Axle stuff goes. Mom's Avalon needs new struts pretty bad, and the drop in spring/strut combos are really tempting vs disassembly/reassembly.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

What year did the 5.3s start getting DoD?

Friend of mine has an older 5.3 Yukon that he's trying to learn how to wrench on. Pretty sure his is too old for that, but it'd be nice to be able to warn him of potential issues. He has really low miles on it (<100k), at least....

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Ah cool. He's safe then (his is a 2001).

He's about to tackle spark plugs for his first time ever. I thought it would be pretty easy (barring the typical #7/#8 clearance issue on a RWD V8), but a few videos makes it look like clearance is a bit of an issue on all of the plugs. At least compared to my old truck (80 F-150 w/351M).

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I see you've found the dog in heat suspension.

How many miles have you put on it since the suspension swap?

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Apr 8, 2017

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Needs glasspacks first! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Or, you know, swap a manual in. :getin:

Somehow the Getrag F23 not only bolts right up to the LS4, but also handles the power so long as you avoid wheel hop (it's rated for ~150 hp/150 ft lbs). And if ti does blow up.. go pillage another F23 from a Cavalier, Grand Am, Cobalt, Ion, G5, HHR, Vue, etc etc etc, basically any NA FWD GM 4 cylinder from the past 20+ years.

(I didn't know they put the LS4 in a Lacross, though...)

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Aug 25, 2017

• Locked thread