Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alnilam

this thread is for some guests of ours from D&D to argue about an intellectual property (IP) dispute between oracle (java) and google, about whether APIs can be considered protected IP, or something idk

hopefully they'll be here soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam

any minute now
i'll get the snacks ready and the nice napkins out

ty manifisto

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
oh geez I'm gonna need some popcorn

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Java you say? **puts on a pot of coffee for our guests**

And Oracle, hmmm... I know! **fast-forwards the movie "300" to the oracle scene**

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

alnilam

i linked them in the thread they were derailing which is the supreme court thiread a very interesting and informative thread that i recommend people read sometimes if they feel like it i guess

i hope they come :pray:

ty manifisto

alnilam

from what i understand oracle wrote headers for some common open-source code and google copied the headers exactly and now oracle says "hey you can't copy that directly!" and google said "but the code was open source :smug:" but apparently there's some disagreement among our guests-to-be about what exactly can count as protected IP and what can't

ty manifisto

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

They're debating about coming here.

Piso Mojado

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

They're debating about coming here.

Piso Mojado

I wish someone was out there to help explain why Oracle is wrong in this issue. Computers are hard and I could use some help. *sets final bernie sanders bumper sticker across spike filled pit in front of thread*

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

alnilam posted:

from what i understand oracle wrote headers for some common open-source code and google copied the headers exactly and now oracle says "hey you can't copy that directly!" and google said "but the code was open source :smug:" but apparently there's some disagreement among our guests-to-be about what exactly can count as protected IP and what can't

But um, what about statute of limitations? It's open source intellectual property, not murder *runs into the Mexican restaurant thread and orders a margarita*

FluffieDuckie

*stares blankly at the thread and tries to think of something pertinent to say"

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

Macnult

team debaters: oracle

team discussers: google

may the best side find closure

FluffieDuckie

oh i know

Piso Mojado

lol

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
It really brings the room together!

FluffieDuckie

there. i stickied it. now they can find it easier

shinmai

CHK Instruction
I'm really excited for our guests, you guys :neckbeard:

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

Googacle

Oroogle

Piso Mojado

FluffieDuckie posted:

there. i stickied it. now they can find it easier

*looks at watch, nervously* Duckie, how are the brownies coming along? They're going to be here any minute.

the unabonger
im gonna fight anyone from d&d who comes in here

free Trapt CD

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*
do we have enough coasters?? god, we barely have enough coasters normally even

~sig~

shinmai

CHK Instruction
i've been secretly using folded up cigarette packs as coasters

free Trapt CD

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*

shinmai posted:

i've been secretly using folded up cigarette packs as coasters
i like it. efficient, and fragrant too. it's the little things that count when you're entertaining

~sig~

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

*finally takes the plastic off the lampshades*
Today's the big day!

HighwireAct

Pozzo's Hat

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

*finally takes the plastic off the lampshades*
Today's the big day!

:bravo:

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

byob where the b stands for bring your own d&d

Piso Mojado

okay ill start it off.

I don't see how anyone who has any experience with computer programming can argue that re-implementing free to use api's the way google did to develop android is anything but fair use. To me, the whole trial seems pretty cut and dry and considering Oracle is in deep long-term trouble financially due to their core products losing significant market share, they are just changing their business model to a litigation based model instead of trying to compete in the new open source landscape.

This whole debacle just further points out that:
1) we need significant software patent reform because it is a grey landscape and easily exploitable by lawyers (and developers).
2) we desperately need to update the test for what is "fair use".

I invite any d&d person to argue against any of these points because I am genuinely interested in hearing counter-arguments because I acknowledge my own bias and would like to understand the topic more.

smootches,
Piso (byob d&d liason)

FluffieDuckie

well they're not talking but there are 32 people browsing the forum so i know they're here

hi guys :wave:

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
ok my 5th level fighter swings his two handed sword at piso mojado

alnilam

Piso Mojado posted:

okay ill start it off.

I don't see how anyone who has any experience with computer programming can argue that re-implementing free to use api's the way google did to develop android is anything but fair use. To me, the whole trial seems pretty cut and dry and considering Oracle is in deep long-term trouble financially due to their core products losing significant market share, they are just changing their business model to a litigation based model instead of trying to compete in the new open source landscape.

This whole debacle just further points out that:
1) we need significant software patent reform because it is a grey landscape and easily exploitable by lawyers (and developers).
2) we desperately need to update the test for what is "fair use".

I invite any d&d person to argue against any of these points because I am genuinely interested in hearing counter-arguments because I acknowledge my own bias and would like to understand the topic more.

smootches,
Piso (byob d&d liason)

Finally someone says what we're all thinking

ty manifisto

FluffieDuckie

Luvcow posted:

Piso Mojado

Luvcow posted:

i will sue you to oblivion luvcow

FluffieDuckie

i don't know whether to refer to the game manual or the d&d rules of engagement to oversee this luvcow piso dispute

google THIS

all I know is Google doesn't ask me every three days to update a piece of software that I use maybe once a year

alnilam

I agree though and I think IP law has a lot of issues given how specialized most fields have become

ty manifisto

the paradigm shift

idc

MLKQUOTEMACHINE

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
i can't seriously debate in a forum that uses comic sans

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

Luvcow posted:

What's your THAC0?

Piso Mojado scores a critical hit! Triple word score damage!

All 'Yobbers are +5 (Fluffie's Blessing)

Your initiative D&D, you are at -2 to hit due to Piso's Opening Argument.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piso Mojado

nutranurse posted:

i can't seriously debate in a forum that uses comic sans

everything should be debated with comic sans because it helps remind people not to take poo poo so personal.

• Locked thread