Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alnilam

then again I too have my own bias which tends to favor the side of open source software, free use, open access science, etc. because i think that society as a whole can benefit a lot and more quickly if people are freely able to use what others have done, but that's getting a little bit beyond the issues of this one specific case

ty manifisto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FluffieDuckie

nutranurse posted:

i can't seriously debate in a forum that uses comic sans

whoa hey guys welcome!

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

shinmai

CHK Instruction
I put on my robe and wizard hat

nutranurse posted:

i can't seriously debate in a forum that uses comic sans

did you know there are multiple fake studies that have been cited at me that supposedly state that comic sans is easier to read for people like me with dyslexia

MLKQUOTEMACHINE

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
in all honesty though i stand with google because i believe they are the skynet that will bring us to a better future

Chelb

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
hi, d&d poster here.

i'm going to say oracle's in the right because they have a slightly cooler name than google.

courtesy of rushi

FluffieDuckie

d&d has way cooler sigs than i expected :stwoon:

alnilam

Rollofthedice posted:

hi, d&d poster here.

i'm going to say oracle's in the right because they have a slightly cooler name than google.

that's a fair point, but on the other hand google's name sounds like the name of a really really big number, and usually big numbers win out over smaller ones IME

ty manifisto

Rodatose

corn, corn, corn
On one hand, Oracle was the cool lady in the matrix, so you have to take that into account.

On the minus side, in Matrix revolution, the oracle turned into dr. smith, who was evil.

i'd say the plus outweighs the minus, mostly because the matrix revolution was dubiously canonical.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE

I think we should debate something much more pertinent: what is the purpose of byob when fyad exists.

Rodatose

corn, corn, corn

nutranurse posted:

I think we should debate something much more pertinent: what is the purpose of byod when fyad exists.

because.

shinmai

CHK Instruction

FluffieDuckie posted:

d&d has way cooler sigs than i expected :stwoon:

ikr? :h:

alnilam posted:

that's a fair point, but on the other hand google's name sounds like the name of a really really big number, and usually big numbers win out over smaller ones IME

Also, Oracle employs Mary Ann Davidson, who is a toxic person and shouldn't be in charge of the security of a weather station let alone CSO of anything.

FluffieDuckie

nutranurse posted:

I think we should debate something much more pertinent: what is the purpose of byod when fyad exists.

fyad is edgy and byob is friendly

HighwireAct

Pozzo's Hat

alnilam posted:

then again I too have my own bias which tends to favor the side of open source software, free use, open access science, etc. because i think that society as a whole can benefit a lot and more quickly if people are freely able to use what others have done, but that's getting a little bit beyond the issues of this one specific case

I think that ultimately comes down to the Smith/Saint-Simon dichotomy of cooperation vs. competition as the driving factors of economic productivity. I don't think Oracle is really doing either; they obviously aren't willing to cooperate, but by keeping their product largely stagnant and relying on mounds of litigation to ward off competitors, they're not really actively competing, either.

shinmai

CHK Instruction

nutranurse posted:

I think we should debate something much more pertinent: what is the purpose of byob when fyad exists.

which would you rather do, byob or fyad?

Chelb

alnilam posted:

this is fair.

now that i think about it, oracle may not be very good at prognosticating, because it's hard to predict a scenario in which google doesn't have all our brains retrofitted to blindly follow orders and work well with their smart cars.

courtesy of rushi

MLKQUOTEMACHINE

FluffieDuckie posted:

fyad is edgy and byob is friendly

so byob:d&d::fyad:GiP

MLKQUOTEMACHINE

shinmai posted:

which would you rather do, byob or fyad?

i always bring my own booze when im posting. in fact im doing it right now. hence why im flip flopping on this issue and agreeing with RO "the Bread Boy" TD that oracle has a cooler name and is therefore in the right.

FluffieDuckie

nutranurse posted:

i always bring my own booze when im posting. in fact im doing it right now. hence why im flip flopping on this issue and agreeing with RO "the Bread Boy" TD that oracle has a cooler name and is therefore in the right.

see? you'd fit in just fine here

Chelb

what would the oracle of delphi do? I think she would probably drink some wine and tell everybody to chill out at byob.

courtesy of rushi

mandatory lesbian

FluffieDuckie posted:

*stares blankly at the thread and tries to think of something pertinent to say"

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

the paradigm shift

nutranurse posted:

Personally I'm sticking with my original stance

*probably more drunk than nn rn but only off regular bourbon and not moonshine

mandatory lesbian
i'm sorry owl day, that i know nothing about this, but i hope this is ok much love <333333

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

alnilam

Welcome

Rodatose

corn, corn, corn

Rollofthedice posted:

what would the oracle of delphi do? I think she would probably drink some wine and tell everybody to chill out at byob.

if you mix wine with cola you get "kalimotxo", which is popular in spain for youth street gatherings

shinmai

CHK Instruction

Rollofthedice posted:

Delphi is by Borland, though, and based on Pascal and not Java?

Chelb

shinmai posted:

Delphi is by Borland, though, and based on Pascal and not Java?

i am undone

courtesy of rushi

Piso Mojado

you lost the challenge so now you are one of us. :peanut:

RuanGacho

"You're gunna break it!"

Matoi asked nice so I came by.

To share our wildly different culture my avatar is a cool dude eating an ice cream bar.

I don't have a sig anymore because I had a misspelled one for years.

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone.

Piso Mojado

RuanGacho posted:

To share our wildly different culture my avatar is a cool dude eating an ice cream bar.

hello. Eisenhower is very byob.

FluffieDuckie

RuanGacho posted:

welcome ruan :wave:

shinmai

CHK Instruction

Piso Mojado posted:

you lost the challenge so now you are one of us. :peanut:

one of us. one of us. one of us.

RuanGacho posted:

welcome, which side of the issue do you stand on?

RuanGacho posted:

Ice cream bars are generally a good thing, and sigs are by no means mandatory.

the paradigm shift

FluffieDuckie posted:

whoa hey guys welcome!

I've tried to keep up with the work and nite crew threads and post but it was just pages of anime themed phone backgrounds and gifs. Just never had anything to add

FluffieDuckie

i just noticed that al chose the tiger attack tag to accurately symbolize the viciousness of this debate

FluffieDuckie

the paradigm shift posted:

I've tried to keep up with the work and nite crew threads and post but it was just pages of anime themed phone backgrounds and gifs. Just never had anything to add

we're just glad you're here.

Chelb

FluffieDuckie posted:

i just noticed that al chose the tiger attack tag to accurately symbolize the viciousness of this debate

its really quite brutal. i feel like im in the intellectual hunger games.

courtesy of rushi

RuanGacho

"You're gunna break it!"

shinmai posted:

one of us. one of us. one of us.

welcome, which side of the issue do you stand on?

Ice cream bars are generally a good thing, and sigs are by no means mandatory.

I think Oracle should Google IBM, but I'm more agnostic about the whole court thing because java is something I'm forced to endure because programmers like it so much.

To make things.

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone.

shinmai

CHK Instruction

RuanGacho posted:

I think Oracle should Google IBM, but I'm more agnostic about the whole court thing because java is something I'm forced to endure because programmers like it so much.

To make things.

to be fair many programmers also hate java with a passion. usually the same programmes that like it v much.

mags

I am a congenital optimist.
I could do this, discuss in comic sans

Piso Mojado

RuanGacho posted:

To make things.

I dont know any programmers that like using Java, they just HAVE to use Java.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mags

I am a congenital optimist.
Seriously, did Oracle not see this coming? :thejoke:

• Locked thread