Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alnilam

this thread is for some guests of ours from D&D to argue about an intellectual property (IP) dispute between oracle (java) and google, about whether APIs can be considered protected IP, or something idk

hopefully they'll be here soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam

any minute now
i'll get the snacks ready and the nice napkins out

ty manifisto

alnilam

i linked them in the thread they were derailing which is the supreme court thiread a very interesting and informative thread that i recommend people read sometimes if they feel like it i guess

i hope they come :pray:

ty manifisto

alnilam

from what i understand oracle wrote headers for some common open-source code and google copied the headers exactly and now oracle says "hey you can't copy that directly!" and google said "but the code was open source :smug:" but apparently there's some disagreement among our guests-to-be about what exactly can count as protected IP and what can't

ty manifisto

alnilam

Piso Mojado posted:

okay ill start it off.

I don't see how anyone who has any experience with computer programming can argue that re-implementing free to use api's the way google did to develop android is anything but fair use. To me, the whole trial seems pretty cut and dry and considering Oracle is in deep long-term trouble financially due to their core products losing significant market share, they are just changing their business model to a litigation based model instead of trying to compete in the new open source landscape.

This whole debacle just further points out that:
1) we need significant software patent reform because it is a grey landscape and easily exploitable by lawyers (and developers).
2) we desperately need to update the test for what is "fair use".

I invite any d&d person to argue against any of these points because I am genuinely interested in hearing counter-arguments because I acknowledge my own bias and would like to understand the topic more.

smootches,
Piso (byob d&d liason)

Finally someone says what we're all thinking

ty manifisto

alnilam

I agree though and I think IP law has a lot of issues given how specialized most fields have become

ty manifisto

alnilam

then again I too have my own bias which tends to favor the side of open source software, free use, open access science, etc. because i think that society as a whole can benefit a lot and more quickly if people are freely able to use what others have done, but that's getting a little bit beyond the issues of this one specific case

ty manifisto

alnilam

Rollofthedice posted:

hi, d&d poster here.

i'm going to say oracle's in the right because they have a slightly cooler name than google.

that's a fair point, but on the other hand google's name sounds like the name of a really really big number, and usually big numbers win out over smaller ones IME

ty manifisto

alnilam

Welcome

alnilam

Piso Mojado posted:

[typing into my Ask toolbar] "Oracle. Ruling."

0 results found
Did you mean Oracle rules!

alnilam

RuanGacho posted:

I like Fluffie's av.

Please someone post the Duckie Classic(tm)

alnilam

^^notice how i brought the concept of intellectual property into it with the trademark sign

alnilam

oh good :)

alnilam

So far ITT it seems that at least in this matter oracle is a big dummy head and google is extremely cool and good... well I guess it's officially settled
*sets up home-alone style traps for the people rushing in to disagree*

ty manifisto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam

• Locked thread