Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Piso Mojado

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

They're debating about coming here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piso Mojado

I wish someone was out there to help explain why Oracle is wrong in this issue. Computers are hard and I could use some help. *sets final bernie sanders bumper sticker across spike filled pit in front of thread*

Piso Mojado

lol

Piso Mojado

FluffieDuckie posted:

there. i stickied it. now they can find it easier

*looks at watch, nervously* Duckie, how are the brownies coming along? They're going to be here any minute.

Piso Mojado

okay ill start it off.

I don't see how anyone who has any experience with computer programming can argue that re-implementing free to use api's the way google did to develop android is anything but fair use. To me, the whole trial seems pretty cut and dry and considering Oracle is in deep long-term trouble financially due to their core products losing significant market share, they are just changing their business model to a litigation based model instead of trying to compete in the new open source landscape.

This whole debacle just further points out that:
1) we need significant software patent reform because it is a grey landscape and easily exploitable by lawyers (and developers).
2) we desperately need to update the test for what is "fair use".

I invite any d&d person to argue against any of these points because I am genuinely interested in hearing counter-arguments because I acknowledge my own bias and would like to understand the topic more.

smootches,
Piso (byob d&d liason)

Piso Mojado

Luvcow posted:

ok my 5th level fighter swings his two handed sword at piso mojado

i will sue you to oblivion luvcow

Piso Mojado

nutranurse posted:

i can't seriously debate in a forum that uses comic sans

everything should be debated with comic sans because it helps remind people not to take poo poo so personal.

Piso Mojado

you lost the challenge so now you are one of us. :peanut:

Piso Mojado

RuanGacho posted:

Matoi asked nice so I came by.

To share our wildly different culture my avatar is a cool dude eating an ice cream bar.

I don't have a sig anymore because I had a misspelled one for years.

hello. Eisenhower is very byob.

Piso Mojado

RuanGacho posted:

I think Oracle should Google IBM, but I'm more agnostic about the whole court thing because java is something I'm forced to endure because programmers like it so much.

To make things.

I dont know any programmers that like using Java, they just HAVE to use Java.

Piso Mojado

Actually, i guess some programmers do like it because they get paid a lot of money since a good java dev is hard to find.

Piso Mojado

woah, did I just debate myself there?

Piso Mojado

code:

class MyFirstApp {
    public static void main(String[] args) {
        System.out.println("Jesus Christ All I wanted to do is print a loving line!");
    }
}

Piso Mojado

shinmai posted:

to be fair, a hello world isn't much simpler in any other compiled language

:agreed:

Piso Mojado

FluffieDuckie posted:

well he's in byob so he's stabbing her with a piece of pizza

her favorite kind

lol

Piso Mojado