Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Munkeymon

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Piso Mojado posted:

okay ill start it off.

I don't see how anyone who has any experience with computer programming can argue that re-implementing free to use api's the way google did to develop android is anything but fair use. To me, the whole trial seems pretty cut and dry and considering Oracle is in deep long-term trouble financially due to their core products losing significant market share, they are just changing their business model to a litigation based model instead of trying to compete in the new open source landscape.

This whole debacle just further points out that:
1) we need significant software patent reform because it is a grey landscape and easily exploitable by lawyers (and developers).
2) we desperately need to update the test for what is "fair use".

I invite any d&d person to argue against any of these points because I am genuinely interested in hearing counter-arguments because I acknowledge my own bias and would like to understand the topic more.

smootches,
Piso (byob d&d liason)

you are basically right on all points there so why would I argue?!

Senior Labor Eliminator, First-Against-The-Wall Division, Raiser of the Cost of Living, Defender of the Faith

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon

Motherfucker's got an

FluffieDuckie posted:

maybe yobbers should stop by d&d every now and then to settle arguments :shrug:

maybe!

am I using too many exclamation points because I can stop I swear I can

alnilam posted:

So far ITT it seems that at least in this matter oracle is a big dummy head and google is extremely cool and good... well I guess it's officially settled
*sets up home-alone style traps for the people rushing in to disagree*

technically...

Senior Labor Eliminator, First-Against-The-Wall Division, Raiser of the Cost of Living, Defender of the Faith

Munkeymon

Motherfucker's got an

daaaang

• Locked thread