Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Olaf Craig whiplashing between testosteron-overdosed Military Hardass and overly doting Sitcom Dad never gets old, as does Neithardt's :ughh: reaction to it.

Actually, I think the people that are "working with the intelligence division to handle things in Crossbell" who according to Millium are a really strong bunch (and of whose identity Fie had a hunch) aren't the Special Support Section. They're (CS1 spoilers) apparantly the mercenaries from the Red Constellation hired by Osborne who end up slaughtering Gideon and his group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
- Ummm... I was absolutely NOT expecting Elliot's dad to be happy to see him, much less run up and give him a hug. The impression Elliot gave off was that his father was totally cold and distant. Alisa, nailed it.
- Ah ha ha, poor Neithardt.
- Well it makes perfect sense for the mock tanks to be equipped with paint - no sense wrecking the brand new Achtzen tanks in training exercise. By the same token, using live rounds in the Achtzen allows the crews to get used to live fire before a life-or-death battle scene
- This mock battle is REALLY LOUD in headphones.
- Good point, Rean.

- Huh, sword wielding students reconsidering how useful it would be to wield swords on a modern battlefield? I wasn't really expecting that.
- LOL LOL LOL "Special Permission to view the railway guns". Dramatic irony is delicious.
- Orbmail? Really? ... Wait, don't open it, it's from a Remiferian Prince! (It's a fake message.)

- Oh cool, they're just blatantly sharing classified information with the students. I'm not actually opposed to that, it makes a reasonable amount of sense after crossing paths with the ILF at least three times that we know of.
- Special Sevices Division, I think? (I watched about the first 30 minutes of a fan translation)
- Lloyd from the Fisherman's Guild is a better Lloyd than the Lloyd from Tales of Symphonia.
- So they have positively identified the craft being used as of Reinford make - NOT an unknown make - yet Sharon found no information about it (at least, none she would share with Sara). Hmm. More on this later.
- Glad to know that V's knowledge of Fie's Jager name was caught and passed along to II.
- Thank you, Laura. Remember, Alisa, you're all teenage students, there are probably lots of people with a lot of experience who could do well against you.
- The photo was probably artistic license based on the descriptions the students gave. I mean, it wouldn't be difficult for them to say "lady had an eyepatch".

BONUS: Phantom Thief B Revealed - "This Savory Taste is Why Unripe Fruit is the Most Delectable of All!"
BONUS: St. Astraia - "To men, this academy must seem clad in the mysterious, impenetrable aura of feminine nobility."

Alas, I think this brings us to the end of the additional voiced scenes on PC before Some Numbers switched over. But I will show off what the Chapter 5 Old Schoolhouse boss is like on hard difficulty. Spoilers: It's MEAN.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

This mock battle is REALLY LOUD in headphones.
I did say I couldn't hear Ewie.

quote:

Orbmail? Really? ... Wait, don't open it, it's from a Remiferian Prince! (It's a fake message.)
:allears:

quote:

Special Sevices Division, I think? (I watched about the first 30 minutes of a fan translation)
Yes, that.

quote:

Lloyd from the Fisherman's Guild is a better Lloyd than the Lloyd from Tales of Symphonia.
Fair point!

quote:

BONUS: Phantom Thief B Revealed - "This Savory Taste is Why Unripe Fruit is the Most Delectable of All!"
:allears: Oh my god, just listen to him chew apart the scenery. It's amazing. Exactly what Bleublanc should sound like.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

No, it's definitely Special Support Section. If a fan group translated it with Division then they're incapable of reading visual cues, because the group's logo literally incorporates SSS into it. And Erpy is likely right they're actually referring to a different group there, though Lechter does spend a decent amount of Ao working with the SSS too so it's not completely impossible.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Lord Koth posted:

No, it's definitely Special Support Section. If a fan group translated it with Division then they're incapable of reading visual cues, because the group's logo literally incorporates SSS into it. And Erpy is likely right they're actually referring to a different group there, though Lechter does spend a decent amount of Ao working with the SSS too so it's not completely impossible.

The error is probably mine because I watched the video many months ago.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Lord Koth posted:

My bad, I didn't bother looking up the actual name of the group.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
If you were still wondering about the "hashed beef rice", it's hayashi rice.

quote:

Hashed beef rice or Hayashi rice (ハヤシライス) is a dish popular in Japan as a Western-style dish (yōshoku). It usually contains beef, onions, and button mushrooms, in a thick demi-glace sauce which often contains red wine and tomato sauce. This sauce is served atop or alongside steamed rice. The sauce is sometimes topped with a drizzle of fresh cream.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
By the way, the song that plays during the military excercise doesn't seem to be part of the official OST. Anybody recognize it? It's possible it's a song from the Crossbell games they reused here.

And Fiona being the one wearing the pants inside the Craig household isn't something new. When you visit General Morgan's residence in Grancel in Trails in the Sky FC and speak to his maid/foster daughter, she'll eventually tell you that he's totally under his wife's thumb.

Erpy fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Oct 30, 2017

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Erpy posted:

By the way, the song that plays during the military excercise doesn't seem to be part of the official OST. Anybody recognize it? It's possible it's a song from the Crossbell games they reused here.

And Fiona being the one wearing the pants inside the Craig household isn't something new. When you visit General Morgan's residence in Grancel in Trails in the Sky FC and speak to his maid/foster daughter, she'll eventually tell you that he's totally under his wife's thumb.

It is https://youtu.be/BThxF7OeA5c

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Hey guys, it only took me EIGHTEEN MONTHS to get through the story up to the point where we started.

Today, we finally catch up with where the LP began.

Episode 117: Let's See You Live Through THIS!
No commentary

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
I knew this was gonna be where you were gonna cut out. :/

For some reason the co-commentators appeared softer than usual...or maybe the volume of the action was louder all around, but I had trouble picking up on most of what they say.

You might want to cut that spliced opening from the non-commentary version, btw, since without commentary casual watchers might not get the joke and might get confused.

There's an optional scene to watch if you visit the landing pad in the area where you could get the recipe. I assume you're already past the point of no return?

Olaf Craig participating in a firefight on top of his tank rather than inside is half ridiculous, half awesome. He's not completely without armor though. He's protected by the strongest armor of all...plot armor. And I suspect he knows it.

...and so either Ouroboros or the ILF introduced the continent of Zemuria to the grand practice of email spoofing. Most people falling for fake emails merely end up with a compromised email account, a life-long subscription to penis enlargers or more toolbars than most browsers would be able to display, rather than a full-blown archaism-powered terrorist attack. Poor guys at Garrellia couldn't catch a break.

It wasn't just Millium who was missing from the intro section, Crow was too, probably for the same reason.

A nice detail with the V-scene: the soldier who ate V's haymaker is still breathing afterwards, the other three are not. These 30 minutes probably had more on-screen death than all 3 Sky games combined, even if the casualties were all nameless.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Some Numbers posted:

Hey guys, it only took me EIGHTEEN MONTHS to get through the story up to the point where we started.

Today, we finally catch up with where the LP began.

Episode 117: Let's See You Live Through THIS!
No commentary

Oh boy, here we go. I have not seen anything past this point. I waited for the LP to catch up.

- LOL good timing on the "all our tanks got stolen" quip.

- Good point about the sophistication of automatic control units Crow, and good answer, Alisa.
- Of course it's a diversion. What the hell are those tanks going to do in an empty field?
- Where are your air defenses? Unknown and unauthorized airships are heading for your landing dock at the same time as your base is under attack! Shoot those MF'ers down!! And don't tell me that the biggest fort in the empire has no air defenses, Aurochs Fort was planning to get some air defenses installed. And don't tell me that they don't have any pointed towards the empire, because the defining feature of airships is that they fly through the air, and so can circle around to attack from a more advantageous position.

- Actually, let me talk a bit more about those airships. This is interesting. Sharon told Sara back in Nord that she could find no records of the black airship in the official records, and her comment then and the briefing given to the students here makes it clear that it was a Reinford ship. Now, Sharon said that back when it was thought they only had the one airship. One airship could belong to a single Noble offering support. But now... now they have THREE (one in Crossbell, two for Garrellia - the timing is so tight I can't imagine they used one for both Crossbell and Garrellia.). Three airships is harder to hide. Three airships suggests either a conspiracy with support from several Nobles... or a conspiracy within Reinford. ...Oh, Chapter 6 is going to be I.N.T.E.R.E.S.T.I.N.G.

- I guess they had the minimal competence to post at least four whole guards there, although since the ship can fit well over 4 soldiers on its deck, 'minimal' competence is putting it generously.
- For a base which has quote "thousands of soldiers" stationed there, it really shouldn't be this defenseless. They certainly didn't send EVERYONE to round up the Obvious Diversion tanks. 8 robots which were so weak that a group of students could take one out without a scratch doesn't seem like enough to handle a base with "thousands of soldiers". It's not like the robot had a lot of damage resistance.
- And yes, I saw the mystery container and the bad guys probably smuggled in some other robots in containers, but even in a base this size, security should be tighter, they shouldn't just let in dozens of mystery containers completely uninspected.
- It's one thing to be outplayed by an enemy who blindsides you and strikes at your weak points, but this is probably the strongest base in the empire, AND it is on heightened alert because of the Chancellor being in Crossbell and it's so well expected that the ILF will strike about now that they're telling it to students. This is an absolutely humiliating lapse in security. Lt. General Walters should be busted down to Private.

- And here we are back at the beginning... but everyone is in their summer uniforms and Millium and Crow ARE there. The opening lied!
- Heh, an LP eating its own tail. Well played!
- But yeah, Craig should probably stop posing and get inside it.

- Okay if the terrorists's main objective is just to kill or capture Osborne, this plan has a lot of flaws. First, attacking the skyscraper is going to prompt an evacuation and disrupt the whole day. It's not going to immediately go back to business as usual. So if you're using the railway cannons, you will have no idea where he'll be. (But I guess they weren't aiming the cannons anyway? So they're just trying to start a war again?)
- For the first time, there is clear implication that Ouroborus is supporting the ILF, who are against Osborne. But (Trails in the Sky SC( two years ago, it seemed clear that Ouroboros was supporting Osborne, at least to the extent of tipping him off to make Steam tanks. But it was probably a lot more than just that.
- So why is Ouroborus helping the ILF? My guess is that after Osborne learned that Ouroborus used the resources he arranged for them to have (and covered up the traces for) to build their flying Battleship Glorious, he got ticked off and broke off the arrangement. So now they are retaliating by supporting the ILF. But I'm almost certainly totally off the mark.

-HEYYYY. This isn't the same hallway configuration as the prologue! More lies!

Okay, predictions!
- This is tied up with the Crossbell games. So I think that whatever happens will likely be a big deal in Crossbell as well.
- I suspect that at least one shell will get fired into Crossbell. There will be deaths.
- None of that is Alisa’s fault. She had nothing to do with placing the cannons or firing them, but they were made by Reinford. I think that some people will blame Reinford for that, and spit on the Reinford name. That probably won’t do wonders for Alisa’s mood.

BONUS: Old Schoolhouse Boss - Ch.5 Unsurtr (FAIL) - "I can't..."
BONUS: Old Schoolhouse Boss - Ch.5 Unsurtr (WIN) - "I hope you're ready!!"

Some Numbers made short work of the boss of the Old Schoolhouse, but he was on Normal difficulty. On Hard difficulty, it's MEAN, and I only had ONE person immune to Freeze because I was playing blind. Anyway, now that I've caught up, I'm going to play ahead some more.

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

- Good point about the sophistication of automatic control units Crow, and good answer, Alisa.
- Of course it's a diversion. What the hell are those tanks going to do in an empty field?
- Where are your air defenses? Unknown and unauthorized airships are heading for your landing dock at the same time as your base is under attack! Shoot those MF'ers down!! And don't tell me that the biggest fort in the empire has no air defenses, Aurochs Fort was planning to get some air defenses installed. And don't tell me that they don't have any pointed towards the empire, because the defining feature of airships is that they fly through the air, and so can circle around to attack from a more advantageous position.

And don't forget about how one of the Empire's neighbors probably has THE top air power in the world. Even if this fort isn't on the side that borders them and they would probably never start anything themselves it's still something that stands out to me.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Alard posted:

And don't forget about how one of the Empire's neighbors probably has THE top air power in the world. Even if this fort isn't on the side that borders them and they would probably never start anything themselves it's still something that stands out to me.

True, but two years ago, that nation shared their cutting edge airship tech with the Empire as a show of good faith.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
I imagine that after playing through all the Cold Steel games (including 3) and replaying Trails in the Sky FC and SC, Queen Alicia will seem a lot more naïve than before, and Colonel Richard a lot more sensible. :colbert:

- For the first time, there is clear implication that Ouroborus is supporting the ILF, who are against Osborne. But (Trails in the Sky SC( two years ago, it seemed clear that Ouroboros was supporting Osborne, at least to the extent of tipping him off to make Steam tanks. But it was probably a lot more than just that.
- So why is Ouroborus helping the ILF? My guess is that after Osborne learned that Ouroborus used the resources he arranged for them to have (and covered up the traces for) to build their flying Battleship Glorious, he got ticked off and broke off the arrangement. So now they are retaliating by supporting the ILF. But I'm almost certainly totally off the mark.

In 3rd's Star Door 8, Olivier blatantly asks Osborne about his ties to Ouroboros and Osborne makes clear he sees the society as nothing but tools to use for his own ends. That's not something you say about long-standing allies.

- This is tied up with the Crossbell games. So I think that whatever happens will likely be a big deal in Crossbell as well.

From what I've heard, the trade conference (and the terrorist attack on it) happens on-screen in Ao.

Erpy fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Oct 31, 2017

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Edit: double-post

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Erpy posted:

I imagine that after playing through all the Cold Steel games (including 3) and replaying Trails in the Sky FC and SC, Queen Alicia will seem a lot more naïve than before, and Colonel Richard a lot more sensible. :colbert:

Well, she doesn't have a lot of cards to play, but I definitely don't think just handing over samples of their best engine to the other powers was necessarily the greatest move. The nice thing about Richard's speech at the end of FC is that he wasn't completely wrong. Although, it appears that Erebonia's huge military is just a huge bluff and they can't actually do anything competent.

quote:

In 3rd's Star Door 8, Olivier blatantly asks Osborne about his ties to Ouroboros and Osborne makes clear he sees the society as nothing but tools to use for his own ends. That's not something you say about long-standing allies.

I'm just trying to figure out how, exactly, something like the Glorious from Sky SC could have been made by a non-governmental organization. Because really, and I think I might have posted this link before, it's not really practical to build something like that without either being a government or getting a lot of support from a government. It's not just the resources, but the personnel, the expertise, the support.

I realize that "it's fiction" is the standard handwave, but the Trails series does a reasonable job of explaining the importance of logistics. Even a couple videos ago, it was spelled out that Garrellia fortress can't function without a ton of civilian support staff and labourers.

But considering how the utter incompetence of the Erebonian army is exposed by this very attack, and apparently we're just supposed to accept that "no really, it was all just super-clever and totally unpredictable outmaneuvering", I suppose it's probably too much to expect that the writers thought that much about it.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Oct 31, 2017

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
Considering how tough Sara has been demonstrated to be earlier, does level 55 (only 5 levels above Rean at this point) seem low to anyone else? Not just me and... is Ewie the one in the video who talked about that? I can't remember which voice has which name due to the name of the update poster and name of the channel being different.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Stephen9001 fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Oct 31, 2017

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Gameplay and story segregation. It happens all the time during the Trails series. Schera from Sky's widely known for being an experienced and capable Bracer, yet she joins 1 or 2 levels above the protagonists. Zin's A-rank just like Sara and while he starts a few levels above your party, he's not particularly overpowered. They wanted to give you a taste of how Sara plays without allowing her to one-shot everything she attacks. She's still quite deadly if used right.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Stephen9001 posted:

Considering how tough Sara has been demonstrated to be earlier, does level 55 (only 5 levels above Rean at this point) seem low to anyone else? Not just me and... is Ewie the one in the video who talked about that? I can't remember which voice has which name due to the name of the update poster and name of the channel being different.

Yeah, ewie is the one who commented on Sara not being as strong as she "should" be and that's a pretty common thread in Trails games, as Erpy already mentioned.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
"I was holding back."

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
What's the highest level you can reach in these games?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Mraagvpeine posted:

What's the highest level you can reach in these games?

I don't actually know what the upper limit is in Cold Steel; there's a CS2 carryover bonus if Rean is at level 80 or above, but that requires an absurd amount of grinding.

Unrelated, I'm not getting an episode posted today.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
I believe it's either 99 or 100 in this game and 199 or 200 in the second one. The soft cap in this game is between 65 and 70 and around 140 for the second game.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Time to wrap up Chapter 5!

Episode 118: Domination
No commentary

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Actually, Burst does hit everything. It's not just a radius, all enemies on-screen are temporarily bunched-up in the middle while each party member delivers a normal attack that hits all targets. It's a great way to quickly recover CP if there are lots of enemies on-screen.

This episode introduced two of the most broken elements in the game. (though at least you have to work to level Moebius to level 5 and until that point it's hardly the most effective MQ in the game) Especially with recipes, Moebius gives you ways to massively buff your entire team or just use a single Zeram Capsule to in order to potentially spam 7 S-crafts in a row. Domination-powered S-crafts used at 200CP and +50% str frequently hits the game's 49999 damage cap with characters like Rean, Laura and Millium.

The Donkey Missile enemy skill made a little cameo here, to traumatize Sky FC players with flashbacks.

While I'm not one to promote masochism, I kinda feel like the Scarlet-battle had more potential in this video than was shown since you neither scanned her nor demonstrated her attacks, particularly her S-craft, and previous cutscenes kind of showed her fighting, but it was too quick to take a quick look. I was kinda hoping for a conversation like this:

Ewie: That's a weird sword.
Numbers: It's called a Templar Sword. It's a sword and a whip combined.
Ewie: Does it also have a minigun and a hidden hammer inside or just a sword and a whip?
Numbers: It's just a whip-sword combination.
Ewie: Well that's new.
Numbers: Actually it isn't. One of the characters from Trails in the Sky the 3rd uses one too.
Ewie: Is it Estelle? Does she get a whip-sword in the 3rd game?
Numbers: It's not Estelle. Estelle keeps wielding her very large stick. It's a new character in that game; a nun.
Ewie: Nuns have whip-swords?
Numbers: In this universe, they do.
Ewie: So is this character a nun? Is this how nuns dress in this universe?
Numbers: No, nuns dress like that girl in that sidequest we did at the start of the chapter.
Ewie: So why does this character have a whip-sword?
Numbers: No comment.

I mean, there were plenty of other fights to demonstrate Arc Slash' brokenness.

Apparantly Gideon's death is shown on-screen in the Crossbell games. Or rather, a couple of faceless mooks get mowed down and CS1 ret-cons one of the faceless mooks into an actually important character.

Erpy fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Nov 2, 2017

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
- Oh. Figures. I suppose that the trope of "impending shot, description of shot happening, cut, reveal that shot was not what it appeared to be" is well-worn ground. I also lacked the knowledge of the Crossbell games, but it still seems a little like a cop-out for 50 hours of anticipation leading up to a fake-out.
- Having the first shells be blanks is a really smart idea. Unfortunately, the problem is that seems to be the ONLY smart thing happening at Garrellia. For instance, those things shouldn't even be able to get to that stage of readiness without a key carried by the Base Commander being turned.

- Hey, did you know that the Imperial Chronicle Issue #7 is ONLY available in the 30 minute window where you can tour Garrellia fortress? I didn't!! Guess who didn't notice this until the Chapter 6 free day?!
- I didn't realize Mobius had that as it's top ability, I ignored it.
- Okay, Domination is a really fantastic Quartz. The only catch is that it can't work with a first-turn Motivate for the STR boost.
- Where are all the bodies? The game showed a few bodies at a couple places, but after the cutscene, the majority of the base seems to be deserted, and that can't be right.

- Gideon's fate was sealed the moment he put on the mook uniform.
- That's kinda an understatement, Millium.
- 10 Minutes? After all that time I spent getting lost in storage areas and taking the world's longest path to the railway guns, it's still another 10 minutes before a shell can be fired? These guns SUCK. That's a terrible firing rate! (Even if they can be fired faster by a full crew.)
- In an actual war, they would get off one shot before Calvard airships blow them into scrap. Especially because apparently, Garrellia has no air defenses whatsoever. Those things would be THE top priority for Calvard. But I suppose, in fairness, they only really exist to discourage Calvard from taking Crossbell over, and not as something to actually be used.
- Actually... one other thing - Crossbell is a big thing partly because it's the best place along the mountain range for passage between Erebonia and Calvard, right? Except why is there this huge canyon separating Erebonia and Crossbell? That, all on its own, almost completely negates the value of the pass. You can't get an army across that without a bridge, the bridge will be blown up almost right away to stop an army getting across, and you can't rebuild it without already holding both banks.

- Scarlett didn't actually provide her name, but okay.
- She has a Templar sword? I thought those were traditionally Gralsritter weapons. But I guess anyone could get one if they tried.
- There's a reason why I always use 200 CP S-Crafts, and avoid using them below 200.
- Scarlet's S-Craft is called Bloody Storm, it's basically a superpowered version of (Sky the Third) Reis's Thousand Sparrows/Infinity Sparrows normal Craft. You do not want to let her get it off. It HURTS. A LOT. My first attempt it killed two people. On my second time through this fight (later), it was an instant TPK doing over 7000 damage to everyone. WITHOUT a critical turn.
- Oh crap my battle took 12 minutes! Bye, bye, Crossbell!

- ILF Terrorist: "Gah... Jusis's existence... too terrible... to bear... can't... go... on..."
- They probably don't have a cure for the neurotoxin, but they're trying to do something with whatever medical supplies they have. The implication is that they fail to save them.

A Rant Follows:
- So really? No more explanation for how two airships and a few robots conquered a base described as holding "thousands" of soldiers? And once again, this place was on heightened alert because of the trade conference, and they were aware that the terrorists had at least one airship for months. They didn't even show the mystery container in the train yard as containing surprise robots, and even under that assumption, this is strange.
- The best I can think of is that the implication is that the Imperial army at Garrellia is arrogant and overconfident. They know that this is their strongest point and they simply cannot conceive of anyone actually attacking them. It's just not something they can comprehend, so when an attack does happen, they are just too shocked and confused to understand how to react.

- Even so, this is a TOTALLY different event than either the attack on both bases in Nord and the attack on the Garden Party in Heimdallr. Take the Garden Party - the ILF there exploited a secret weakness on a soft target, distracting the guards with a threat they couldn't ignore, and also couldn't really deal with easily, then coming up from an unexpected location. This is a huge, attention-grabbing attack on the country's largest military base housing "thousands" followed by a brazen frontal assault using... 10 people total.
- Compare to Trails SC: Chapter 7 - the bad guys didn't want to be disturbed at the towers, so they had to commit a huge force just to keep the army from interfering, and also Chapter 8 - Grancel was protected by a large force, and even with their overpowered Enforcers, they brought a huge force of Jagers and robots as backup to keep the streets as war zones. They spent a LOT of resources on those attacks, neither of which were at a heavily fortified military base. The ILF did a direct attack on a fortified hard target by basically walking in the front door with a ridiculously tiny force, far smaller than what was seen in Sky SC.
- There was no mention of the troops being on maneuvers or being drawn away from the base, nor was there time to draw troops away in the short window between the tanks heading for the field and the airships cruising in.

- No matter what, it doesn't make the army look like anything more than incompetent buffoons, though. There is a distinct difference between being outwitted by a smarter and better prepared enemy striking at a weak spot, and a tiny force striking at the strongest and hardest target and beating them easily.

BONUS: The ILF Airship at Garrellia, and the location of the Hashed Beef recipe.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

- Oh. Figures. I suppose that the trope of "impending shot, description of shot happening, cut, reveal that shot was not what it appeared to be" is well-worn ground. I also lacked the knowledge of the Crossbell games, but it still seems a little like a cop-out for 50 hours of anticipation leading up to a fake-out.

The fake-out is apparantly a lot more effective if you've played the Crossbell games and didn't pay extremely close attention to the dialogue. But it's kinda difficult to explain that one without a Crossbell spoiler and some major end-of-this-game spoilers.

- There's a reason why I always use 200 CP S-Crafts, and avoid using them below 200.

Actually, the reason Millium's S-craft was so underpowered was because Numbers used it right after one of the archaisms debuffed Millium's strength.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Erpy posted:

Actually, the reason Millium's S-craft was so underpowered was because Numbers used it right after one of the archaisms debuffed Millium's strength.

Oops. :shobon:

Don't worry, Millium will get more time to shine. Very soon.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

A Rant Follows:
- So really? No more explanation for how two airships and a few robots conquered a base described as holding "thousands" of soldiers? And once again, this place was on heightened alert because of the trade conference, and they were aware that the terrorists had at least one airship for months. They didn't even show the mystery container in the train yard as containing surprise robots, and even under that assumption, this is strange.
- The best I can think of is that the implication is that the Imperial army at Garrellia is arrogant and overconfident. They know that this is their strongest point and they simply cannot conceive of anyone actually attacking them. It's just not something they can comprehend, so when an attack does happen, they are just too shocked and confused to understand how to react.

- Even so, this is a TOTALLY different event than either the attack on both bases in Nord and the attack on the Garden Party in Heimdallr. Take the Garden Party - the ILF there exploited a secret weakness on a soft target, distracting the guards with a threat they couldn't ignore, and also couldn't really deal with easily, then coming up from an unexpected location. This is a huge, attention-grabbing attack on the country's largest military base housing "thousands" followed by a brazen frontal assault using... 10 people total.
- Compare to Trails SC: Chapter 7 - the bad guys didn't want to be disturbed at the towers, so they had to commit a huge force just to keep the army from interfering, and also Chapter 8 - Grancel was protected by a large force, and even with their overpowered Enforcers, they brought a huge force of Jagers and robots as backup to keep the streets as war zones. They spent a LOT of resources on those attacks, neither of which were at a heavily fortified military base. The ILF did a direct attack on a fortified hard target by basically walking in the front door with a ridiculously tiny force, far smaller than what was seen in Sky SC.
- There was no mention of the troops being on maneuvers or being drawn away from the base, nor was there time to draw troops away in the short window between the tanks heading for the field and the airships cruising in.

Part of it was the surprise "attack" from inside to divert attention. That's really the big part, in addition to the fact that those tanks got equipped with actual ammunition at some point. Once that's distracted enough attention that it appears to be their main offense, they move in quickly with the airships, landing near the railway cannons and taking them over. (Why the air access is near the railway cannons is anyone's guess.) At that point, odds are probably good that there isn't enough of a guard there to deal with S and V, letting them capture the cannons. Given the army's too occupied by the rampaging tanks with actual ammunition and the archaisms moving around, that's supposed to be enough to distract attention for the short time they need to fire them off, assuming they only need to defend against guard mooks.

It's not that they conquered the entire base (there's tons of space left that they haven't actually taken), but they're just holding their two little chokepoints against redshirt soldiers while the tanks are the big flashy distraction.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
One thing that wasn't brought up yet, but probably deserves mentioning, was Scarlet's claim that the thwarting of their attempt to hijack and fire the railway cannons was the outcome they actually predicted would happen.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

Erpy posted:

One thing that wasn't brought up yet, but probably deserves mentioning, was Scarlet's claim that the thwarting of their attempt to hijack and fire the railway cannons was the outcome they actually predicted would happen.

ah yes the old 'hahaha by foiling our plans you have only helped us succeed! the plot must advance regardless of the circumstances'

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Istvun posted:

ah yes the old 'hahaha by foiling our plans you have only helped us succeed! the plot must advance regardless of the circumstances'

To be fair, the ILF's "plan" seems to be "make the Chancellor look incompetent" rather than doing any lasting damage and breaking into the big fortress and temporarily taking control of the railway guns definitely does that, even if they were thwarted by some overpowered teenagers.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

To be fair, the ILF's "plan" seems to be "make the Chancellor look incompetent" rather than doing any lasting damage and breaking into the big fortress and temporarily taking control of the railway guns definitely does that, even if they were thwarted by some overpowered teenagers.

Not if the press doesn't cover it.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

After having watched the video, I will definitely agree with the sentiment regarding Arc Slash. It may be the most optimal solution, but it doesn't make for very interesting gameplay to watch when you can ignore a solid minute of the fight because you know exactly what's going to happen in that period.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Cyouni posted:

After having watched the video, I will definitely agree with the sentiment regarding Arc Slash. It may be the most optimal solution, but it doesn't make for very interesting gameplay to watch when you can ignore a solid minute of the fight because you know exactly what's going to happen in that period.

Okay, fine. One "more interesting" fight, coming right up.

BONUS: BOSS: Scarlett (Featuring Bloody Storm)

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
In addition to Bloody Storm being a throwback to Thousand/Infinity Sparrows, her "Dark Fencer" skill is also an almost exact replica of "Arc Fencer".

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Sorry for the wait, but there were some issues. I managed to fix them and I have an epsiode!

Episode 119: Arise O Youth and Become the Foundation of the World
No commentary

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
- This incident is not the kind of thing which can be concealed very well. Dozens and dozens of deaths of soldiers would draw attention, not to mention the support staff.
- There's also no way Crossbell doesn't know about the railway cannons coming out, firing a blank (which would be VERY LOUD), then shutting down and retreating. They might not SAY anything about the incident, but they know, if only because when a foreign country parks giant cannons right on your border, you assign people to keep an eye on them so you get advance warning when it seems like they're going to be used.
- Hold on? Wasn't Crossbell already independent? I understand that both Erebonia and Calvard claim it as part of their territory, but it was an independent state, wasn't it?

- What's with all the cars? Oh, a board meeting. ... the first one? If they don't meet, how do they decide on field study destinations?
- Mueller!
- Good idea to buff up computer security, Irina, after the shameful display which happened before.
- Yeah, a civil war could be bad for keeping students, you know, ALIVE.
- They aren't going to say where the destination is, are they. ...Yup. Not that I haven't already got a very solid educated guess where the Important group is going at least.

- Ewie, you're right that this isn't usual for a board of directors. However, from what the game has said, the board was only formed this year because of Class VII, so yes, they take a much closer interest in the specifics of the class than the school as a whole than the usual board of directors would.
- Crow finally got a red uniform!
- I guess it's safe to say that school festivals are a Big Deal in Japan.
- Alisa probably won't be quite so happy once she learns where she's going this month. :)

- These are Orbal cars, which means basically free energy, so poor gas mileage is not a big deal.
- "Time is something you make, not something you find." OUCH. Irina probably thought that was prodding Alisa to do better, but the ACTUAL message she just gave her was "I never considered it important enough to make time for you". That is just cold.

- What's this talk about tax revenue? Why would Crossbell be paying taxes to Erebonia (and presumably Calvard as well)?
- Ah ha ha ha, Olivier's Lame caught me totally off guard. That was hilarious.
- Mueller's voice sounds a lot like it was in Sky the Third's brief battle clips, so it sounds a lot like I was expecting.
- Rean mentions gathering intelligence about what other students are doing? Well you actually CAN learn what Classes 1, 3 and 4 are doing for the festival by talking to Patrick (Operetta), Beryl (Haunted Castle, possibly with Card tournament), and Vivi and Linde (spoiler]Cafe[/spoiler]).

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Nov 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

- There's also no way Crossbell doesn't know about the railway cannons coming out, firing a blank (which would be VERY LOUD), then shutting down and retreating. They might not SAY anything about the incident, but they know, if only because when a foreign country parks giant cannons right on your border, you assign people to keep an eye on them so you get advance warning when it seems like they're going to be used.

It's possible Crossbell's attention was on the trade conference (and resulting chaos) within its own borders. They could be forgiven for thinking that the few days of the trade conference were the only time they didn't risk being blown up, seeing that the Erebonian head of state was actually there.

In a delightful non-verbal moment, Sara comes up to cheerfully chat with Mueller, only to get pissed off when Sharon butts in.

- Ewie, you're right that this isn't usual for a board of directors. However, from what the game has said, the board was only formed this year because of Class VII, so yes, they take a much closer interest in the specifics of the class than the school as a whole than the usual board of directors would.

I don't recall the current board having only been around for a year. Do you remember where that was said?

- Crow finally got a red uniform!

Maybe they gave him one as a subtle hint to stop sleeping in class.

- What's this talk about tax revenue? Why would Crossbell be paying taxes to Erebonia (and presumably Calvard as well)?

Maybe it's kinda like protection money. Both Erebonia and Calvard claim Crossbell as one of their own provinces, which would mean they'd pay taxes just like any other region and refusing to pay taxes would invite retaliation from the snubbed government, which in turn would invite retaliation from the other government for invasion of what it considers its own territory. Maybe Crossbell figured that whoever won the war between Erebonia and Calvard, they'd be the losers since they'd be right in the middle of it, so they've been paying off both countries in an attempt to avoid a war that'd leave their state in shambles. Well, until now at least...

- Ah ha ha ha, Olivier's Lame caught me totally off guard. That was hilarious.

Mueller's still just as skilled at shooting him down as before. He's probably had practice.

- Rean mentions gathering intelligence about what other students are doing? Well you actually CAN learn what Classes 1, 3 and 4 are doing for the festival by talking to Patrick Operetta, Beryl Haunted Castle, possibly with Card tournament, and Vive and Linde Cafe.

Yeah, that's one of the perks of talking to everybody at the academy each time slot...you generally see things coming before the game shines the spotlight on them. The designers most likely assumed the player WOULDN'T obsessively talk to everyone around at each opportunity, but fortunately everyone in Class VII, aside from Rean, is part of a club that has first years from other classes in it, so story-wise they don't really need Rean for their information-gathering needs.

• Locked thread