Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
It's a great episode for sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

That’s good to hear. I dropped off for a while but hearing Jay on the latest Extra Credit was really nice.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
New Patreon episode just dropped after the latest hiatus. I haven't listened it to it yet, but I guess it's about Resident Evil (the first movie)? I'll check it out tomorrow.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

promising carl posted:

New Patreon episode just dropped after the latest hiatus. I haven't listened it to it yet, but I guess it's about Resident Evil (the first movie)? I'll check it out tomorrow.

It's good so far.

Edit: but please stay safe re. Covid, everyone.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Feb 25, 2021

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
Covid bad.

Also, the episode is on the free feed as well.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Anyone find out what the friends said that was so gross Collision wouldn't say it on mike?

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
I'm sure he mentioned in the Party Pit but I'm too lazy to log back into Facebook to check.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

promising carl posted:

I'm sure he mentioned in the Party Pit but I'm too lazy to log back into Facebook to check.

Someone said they had it but won’t post it, and I’m not gonna bother dming them. I DMed Collison already so if he replies I’ll post it here.
E:
“In the second nude scene of the picture, he leaned in and said “I BET IT TASTES JUST LIKE STEAK AND ONIONS”

That’s it?

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Feb 26, 2021

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

It's not part of this podcast, but I like the music you did for Sex Archie, JW.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Samovar posted:

It's not part of this podcast, but I like the music you did for Sex Archie, JW.

I don't think he follows this thread.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
A couple weeks ago he asked his twitter followers to promote his new release on SA because he doesn't come here anymore. So uhh... I guess I'm doing that now.

https://satellitehigh.bandcamp.com/album/international-cybertruck-anthems

Buy it. I'm sure it's really good. I haven't listened to it but J is really talented and I'm sure the other guy is great too!

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
gently caress it I bought the cassette. Only 7 left!

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
What's this :eyepop: http://www.idontevenownatelevision.com/2021/09/26/168-nothin-but-a-good-time/

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
omg yaaaaaaaaaassssssssssssssss!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Another music book? Hell yes

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I’m glad they both seem to be in a better place mentally, pretty good episode too!

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
Yeah a lot of remembering some hair metal guys (and like 1 or 2 ladies). I dug it.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

This was a great episode, glad to hear them back, but also real glad they took the time they needed.

Also, really liking Mannequin Pussy and Diarrhea Planet.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Sep 28, 2021

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Diarrhea Planet guested on Rude Tales of Magic as Thunderlingus!

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

New episode on Thomas Harris’s Hannibal, which needed a much more laid back plot summary song to cover 600(?) pages: https://www.idontevenownatelevision.com/2021/11/02/169-hannibal/

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Lumbermouth posted:

New episode on Thomas Harris’s Hannibal, which needed a much more laid back plot summary song to cover 600(?) pages: https://www.idontevenownatelevision.com/2021/11/02/169-hannibal/

Regrettably I read that book. It was terrible.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Ratatozsk posted:

Regrettably I read that book. It was terrible.

I remember reading it when I was in the habit of re-reading almost everything.

I didn't re-read this book

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I’m listening to the episode now. They say they aren’t too familiar with Hannibal Lecter stuff, and suggest that it was written as a middle finger.

Wasn’t that actually the case? Harris was miffed about being contractually obligated to write another Hannibal Lecter book that could be adapted into a movie or something?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Dr Christmas posted:

I’m listening to the episode now. They say they aren’t too familiar with Hannibal Lecter stuff, and suggest that it was written as a middle finger.

Wasn’t that actually the case? Harris was miffed about being contractually obligated to write another Hannibal Lecter book that could be adapted into a movie or something?

I believe so. But then there's the even worse books in the series that followed it.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Random Stranger posted:

I believe so. But then there's the even worse books in the series that followed it.

Hannibal Rising is the one he apparently had to write for movie reasons. I say apparently because Dino DeLaurentis says that's what happened but Harris has never confirmed that.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

That would explain all the resentful 'oh, the general public only likes really god-awful squeamish poo poo, now let's go into great detail about the disembowelment of this character'.

I mean, it doesn't make it a good book.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Dr Christmas posted:

I don't think that was the case. There was almost a decade between the two books, though I'll admit I know nothing about the writing industry.

Enjoyed the episode but they barely scratched the surface of just how detestable absolutely everything about this book was. I read it 20 years ago but can still think of ways in which every single character just gave me an ugly feeling that has not faded.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Heh. Via Wikipedia:

posted:

Martin Amis was extremely critical of the book (having been impressed by Harris' earlier Lecter novels) and wrote that "Harris has become a serial murderer of English sentences, and Hannibal is a necropolis of prose."

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

A new episode is up, and it's NOT about Bruce Springsteen.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

And yet a new episode, in which the book spontaneously waxes lyrical on the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, which I wasn't expecting in the least.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
The new episode was really good, an amusingly inept book and some very fun discussions and games. It sounds like neither Jay nor Chris is in a position to keep up regular episode releases but it also sounds like they're not planning on quitting anytime soon, so I suppose we'll just have to wait and see.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Enter Sandman described as a song about how hard it whips to go to bed really got me.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Gertrude Perkins posted:

The new episode was really good, an amusingly inept book and some very fun discussions and games. It sounds like neither Jay nor Chris is in a position to keep up regular episode releases but it also sounds like they're not planning on quitting anytime soon, so I suppose we'll just have to wait and see.

I don't know about Chris, but Jay is very seriously working through rehab, so I get why easing up on obligations makes sense.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
Oh totally, that's not me expressing any disappiontment or ill will towards either of them! I realise my post sounds bitter, it wasn't meant to. I'm happy to wait however long, there are more important things than podcast schedules

A Long Way Down
Jul 14, 2009

I am Jack's complete lack of surprise

Grimey Drawer
I'm glad they are continuing with the podcast at a reduced release rate rather than stopping but I'd pay high patreon fees monthly for them to go back to Leave That Thing Alone again.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The show's ending :( Pocket Casts just downloaded the final episode for me. I haven't listened to it yet, but according to the episode description, there's no beef between them. Patreon shutting down by the end of April.

I'm kinda not surprised at all given the infrequency of episodes, but it is sad because this show has given me a lot of laughs over the years. Keep riding the crab.

e: Of course, I just realized what today is and that this could be an April Fool's joke, but it also wouldn't surprise me if it's real.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 1, 2023

FIX SIGNS
Aug 29, 2006

You're fucking great,
just do what you can.
Aw, man. That sucks.I

They were the first podcast I got into. The chemistry between J.W. and Chris was wonderful and they always put me in a better mood.

I also dug their Rush podcast (despite not being a rush fan)

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Kind of suspected this was coming but still heartbroken :sigh: :smith: They were one of my favorite podcasts and I discovered them at a really weird point in my life so I have these fond memories of listening to a lot of their early stuff in a weird depressed fugue state while unemployed. I wish them the best, though, and I'm glad things are ending on good terms. Hope they might still be open to popping in at Worst Bestsellers from time to time

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
Their rush podcast was incredible just for the bands they namedropped alone.

From 2016 to around 2019ish this was definitely my favorite podcast running, but kinda figured it was harder to make during last few years of the show. It was obvious for a while that they didn’t want to do “this book is awful for political reasons” episodes much anymore and there’s only so much you can glean from “kinda mediocre mystery novel”.

Definitely download the bonus eps while you can, there’s some great stuff in there - my favorite is probably the Air Guitar Handbook ep (or bunnicula).

tinaun fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Apr 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Bummer that it's ending, but it's good that they're at least doing a final episode rather than it being an RSS feed that just never gets another update.