Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Lumbermouth posted:

New episode on Thomas Harris’s Hannibal, which needed a much more laid back plot summary song to cover 600(?) pages: https://www.idontevenownatelevision.com/2021/11/02/169-hannibal/

Regrettably I read that book. It was terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Dr Christmas posted:

I’m listening to the episode now. They say they aren’t too familiar with Hannibal Lecter stuff, and suggest that it was written as a middle finger.

Wasn’t that actually the case? Harris was miffed about being contractually obligated to write another Hannibal Lecter book that could be adapted into a movie or something?

I don't think that was the case. There was almost a decade between the two books, though I'll admit I know nothing about the writing industry.

Enjoyed the episode but they barely scratched the surface of just how detestable absolutely everything about this book was. I read it 20 years ago but can still think of ways in which every single character just gave me an ugly feeling that has not faded.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Heh. Via Wikipedia:

posted:

Martin Amis was extremely critical of the book (having been impressed by Harris' earlier Lecter novels) and wrote that "Harris has become a serial murderer of English sentences, and Hannibal is a necropolis of prose."