Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
All right, which one of you goons called out Rachel Millman?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Real bad Starship Troopers takes on this episode, imo

Yeah, it seems like they had it backwards- the book was sincere, the movie was satire. At least, that’s what I’ve heard.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

To be fair, he’s saying the book is unintentional satire, which I could grant him. For me, that falls apart because the book just plain ain’t funny, it’s a couple cool but poorly-written action scenes bookending a bunch of political philosophy on the terms and necessity of warfare.

I don’t think there is such a thing as unintentional satire. If you’re trying to support an idea and fail so badly you undermine the point you’re trying to make, that makes you a comic fool, not a satirist. “Look how well Hitler satirized fascism by losing WWII!”

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

drygear posted:

I was disappointed that he became the permanent co-host but he's grown on me. I think JW balances him out okay.

I think both of them, but especially Collision, enjoy trolling us. After enough instances of “hey, let’s go on a ten minute rant about an obscure musician Jurgan has never heard of!” I’ve learned to ignore these bizarre tangents even when I think they’re off-base.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

The Vosgian Beast posted:

In the author's note for Slugs, the dude who wrote Slugs actually says that this is a horrible movie and no one should watch it

I know a malecologist (expert on mollusks) who had the poster of this movie hanging in his office.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

What the fuuuck, that's him?? I left Night Vale by the wayside a long time ago but I love this song and that episode.

Yeah, in one of the IDEOTV eps with Mara Wilson they discuss their experiences on WTNV and J mentions “writing a song about a bus.” I had the same reaction as you.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Joseph Fink was also a goon,

Still is.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

they met through SA, I’m pretty certain.

Could be, but most of the early Night Vale people just happened to work in the same geographical location (NYC) and a couple of them being on Something Awful was just a coincidence.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Koburn posted:

I'm sure they have already been bombarded with correction comments.

Oh, they have. Chris apologized more than once on the Party Pit yet people are still jumping on him for it.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

outlier posted:

But not as painful as the apology on the next show.

How so? What would you have had them do?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

outlier posted:

Laugh it off and say they were dumb? Mistaking Ireland for part of the UK is s common enough mistake, and it was an aside. Apologising profusely and saying they'd learnt their lesson and would do better next time, like they'd made some horrible racist slur was over the top. It's like they're afraid their audience will turn on them for not being woke enough.

There were people in the Facebook group who were genuinely upset about it (and if you’re even thinking about saying they were stupid to be upset, you’re an rear end in a top hat). It’s really obnoxious to take someone’s apology and say “no, that’s not the right kind of apology.”

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

outlier posted:

No. I really dislike that phrase. But the apologies and corrections and "I'm sorry, we've learnt our lesson" has become such a feature of IDEOT that I feel their audience enjoys looking for something to complain about. The Facebook group seems to spend more time talking about these issues than crappy books. And there's a wider range of topics that no one is correcting them on.

Edit: and when you hear almost the same words walked out again and again, for everything from geographical ignorance to a slur against transgenders?

The Facebook group actually spends most of its time posting pictures of crabs.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

The Vosgian Beast posted:

WoAHHHHH a GIRL who is a GEEK? Time to be creepy and weird about that! Let me accuse them of being secretly men!

Man that was the secret worst part of RPO, you can tell Ernest Cline is an old nerd because he doesn't appear to know trans people who will feel like garbage if you accuse them of """faking""" their gender exist.

Or he does and doesn't care, but he seems more like an idiot than an active monster, so

"Oasis was the best thing ever to happen to black women, because now we can pretend to be white men!" Yeah...

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

SirSlarty posted:

That's wicked.

Does that mean Heston died? :ohdear:

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

The patriotic music played after the eagle craps in a solider's eye should obviously have been Lee Greenwood's "God Bless the USA."

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Yeah, it sounded pretty terrible. Don't scroll over this if you're queasy:

While being raped, a man bit off a woman's clitoris.

Still, I was getting bored with "cozy mysteries," so I'm glad they're back with unambiguously terrible books.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Do you guys just not have Half Price Books where you live?

(Incidentally, I once saw Level 26: Dark Origins there too.)

I've seen it at a thrift store, but I've also seen some of Shapero's elves giving away new copies on my college campus. This was just a few months ago, mind you.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I'm surprised and saddened that nobody in this thread talked about the Vampire$ episode (I am part of the problem), because it rules.

I spent the first twenty minutes or so gradually thinking it sounded like John Carpenter’s Vampires, and eventually realized it wasn’t a coincidence.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

RandomPauI posted:

Is this a catch all for all the bad book podcasts?

Not by design, but this thread is slow enough that I don't think anyone would mind if you talked about a different one.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

TWB is my favorite. There's also Teen Creeps if you, too, are a Christopher Pike Phase Survivor (they do other stuff, too, of course).

I am still crossing my fingers that someone will do a Lurlene McDaniels book; those horrified me even as a child and I'm sure they'd be hilarious now.

The Worst Bestsellers, episode 56: Angels Watching Over Me.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

there wolf posted:

That's the after-school-special books which used tragedy to explicitly impart a lesson. McDaniels was more about peddling romance and commitment without the threat of sex.

So kind of like Stephanie Meyer?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

ZorajitZorajit posted:

But it wasn't a particular bad book. It was only a bad book if you don't think older folks should be allowed to have physical relationships. Or if you need those detailed to you in voyeuristic detail.

Jay and CLSN have frequently talked about how they don't like reviewers who "reject the premise." In other words, judge a book on what it's trying to do, don't just mock it because you don't like what it was trying to do. So there wasn't any hatred towards a cheesy romance novel, but they still made fun of the poor craftsmanship.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Collision actually making an effort to finish the plot in 60 under threat has improved the episodes a not-insignificant amount.

Agreed. I don’t expect him to succeed every time, but for a while there he wasn’t even trying, and it made the whole thing drag.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

beats for junkies posted:

I didn't figure it out until the ICP 2-parter, when J does a rap from the book and the different voices he uses are basically the same ones from "TLO Roll Call." Also from that episode (one of the two) is Lemon from F-Plus trying not to laugh (and failing) while reading a partial list of acts that performed at a Juggalo gathering. The only one I can remember right now is "Horror, but the Rs are 9s, so it's 'Ho-99-oh-9,'" but there are other better ones. They're a good couple of episodes and I think I might go listen to them again tonight. :)

I didn’t get it until he had Mara Wilson on and mentioned writing a song about a bus for WTNV. And yeah, that episode was really good.

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Waitin' for the bus IN THE RAIN *circus music*

Best not to mention that song, though. He kind of hates it now, I think because it was pretty low effort for him yet is much more well-known than stuff he’s proud of.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I kinda wondered if any of his older stuff was stuff that he doesn't like anymore, hence distancing himself from the name, but I hope he's still proud of the albums because I was rocking out to "Sharks!" last night and it's still fantastic IMO. Either way IDK if he reads this thread, I just wanted him to know I think his work is still really good. :)

I'm pretty sure he's not on SA, at least not anymore, but if you want to have a chance of communicating with them directly you should join the I Don't Even Own a Television Fun Time Party Pit, assuming you still have Facebook. They're somewhat active participants.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Pope Guilty posted:

You can also just @ them on Twitter.

Given how many times they’ve said “don’t @ me,” I’d be hesitant to do that.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

I think the last episode i really enjoyed was the Lemony Snicket one because i hate that series. I would like to se the pod return to dogging on more classically bad books, judging contemporary works isn't as fun because so few people writing today actually even try that hard.

J got really salty about that one. A lot of people were defending the book in the Facebook group. Plus, someone made a favorable comparison to Roald Dahl, and that really set him off about Dahl's antisemitism.

Lately, it seems like he's been taking criticism of the episodes very personally, to the point where he left that group because it was upsetting him too much. It's probably for the best- he's got no obligation to talk to fans if it's upsetting him to do so.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

I feel like there's some unclear dynamics about how to interact on a fan page where the creators hang out. How critical are you allowed to be when you know they might see it?

Also, his dad died a few months ago and he had to handle all the burial arrangements himself in the middle of a pandemic. It clearly took a toll, and if withdrawing from interactions with fans helps him deal, then good for him.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

They did one pretty recently, I think. Pretty sure it was within the last year.

It was one of her Robert Galbraith mysteries. They basically took the position "yes, we know who wrote it, we don't really care, let's just talk about what's in the book."

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Samovar posted:

It's not part of this podcast, but I like the music you did for Sex Archie, JW.

I don't think he follows this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Gertrude Perkins posted:

The new episode was really good, an amusingly inept book and some very fun discussions and games. It sounds like neither Jay nor Chris is in a position to keep up regular episode releases but it also sounds like they're not planning on quitting anytime soon, so I suppose we'll just have to wait and see.

I don't know about Chris, but Jay is very seriously working through rehab, so I get why easing up on obligations makes sense.