Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Swan Oat posted:

a heinlein book ... has some real weird incest stuff
No, really? :crossarms:

Drunkboxer posted:

I just started listening to this podcast, but I think I'm going to skip the Stranger in a Strange Land ep because I have vague but good memories of reading it at 14 and don't want them shattered.
Probably a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

Yeah and he was getting salty about people joking about their pronunciations

They do that on the podcast too though. They're like "Oh we don't care, don't tell us when we say stuff wrong" but the way they go on and on and on about it suggests that actually they do care a lot.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

Woof, that Timeline ep was a miss. I really don't like their recent trend of picking more well-known books that aren't really outrageous enough to be entertaining

I thought it was a pretty good episode, and Timeline is definitely a bad enough book to make fun of.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

my girlfriend is Legos posted:

The forum posts from How to Good-Bye Depression are absolutely F Plus creep, though

The only problem with it is that it's a self-published book, but I'd say guests shouldn't be held to the same standards as the hosts. :shrug:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Alaois posted:

it's like saying Die Hard is your favorite christmas movie

Reasonable, true, but so incredibly hackneyed that no one should ever say it?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Is it a stereotype that football players like Disneyland or something? :confused:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I'm just wondering what's going to be in the part two. It seemed like they pretty comprehensively covered the book already.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I knew it was going to be a good episode just from those two bits of information. And I was not disappointed.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

How to Clean a Mirror?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Good episode. I'm glad they did another good ol' crappy pulp novel.

I kind of want to read it now.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The early Andy Capp comics are not nearly as horrifying as these podcasters make them out to be. I mean, they couldn't and shouldn't be published in newspapers today, but you'd have to be pretty sheltered to find them shocking when you consider other media of the time.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Haven't listened to it yet, but I'm disappointed they decided to go with the third book in the series instead of the first, because I've actually read the first one.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

From what I remember The Last Battle is pretty bad. But if they were going to do CS Lewis, the space trilogy is the better choice.

I think the "not a YA novel for girls" line is just to say it's not Twilight though. It could be a YA novel for boys, but I don't think he was hinting at that.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

fatherboxx posted:

Is Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality shorter than 200 pages?

:roflolmao:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Sham bam bamina! posted:

This episode was perfect in every way.
Except for where they said Two Princes is a bad song. :argh:

Actually, that happens a lot with this show. They make all these references to music I don't know and then they'll mention one song I actually know and like - specifically to say how bad it is. :(

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

I guess it also doesn't help that I like Collision a whole lot better as a podcast guest than co-host. I understand that it's a lot easier to make a podcast without having to get a guest every time, but rotating co-hosts with JW as the anchor was a lot more fun.
Their episodes with guests are still the best ones. There are very few people I can listen to episode after episode without anyone new in the mix and not get sick of.

Tiggum fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Sep 19, 2017

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Jurgan posted:

I don’t think there is such a thing as unintentional satire. If you’re trying to support an idea and fail so badly you undermine the point you’re trying to make, that makes you a comic fool, not a satirist. “Look how well Hitler satirized fascism by losing WWII!”
Depends whether you think genre is determined by the writer or by the reader. If it's the writer then there's no such thing as unintentional comedy, just drama done badly. If it's the reader then something can be read as satire even if it was intended otherwise.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I often feel like they get to the games too quickly. But mostly just when there's a guest because the episodes with a guest tend to be the best ones. The same two people all the time gets repetitive and dull.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Djeser posted:

Oh no make sure they stay far away from ukeleles :ohdear:
Good advice for all people at all times.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

ZorajitZorajit posted:

I will ask this though: where do you fall on "the reader should be able to solve the mystery in the course of the story"?

I don't care either way, but it does annoy me when "you can't solve the mystery before the protagonist" is given as a criticism of a book where the author clearly didn't intend for you to be able to. It's not a failure on the part of the author if they just weren't writing that kind of book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I don't care what book they do, I just want them to have guests again. The episodes with guests are consistently and significantly better than the episodes where it's just the two of them, and they almost never have them any more.