Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The Patreon episode this month was goddamn hilarious, I love when they do weird books like “something a 9 year old wrote in 1890”.

I’ve only been listening to this for a month or so and I love it. I was kind of surprised that a lot of people in this thread don’t like Collision too much, I think he’s a pretty good cohost. Though, like I said, only been listening for a little while, maybe I’ll get sick of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

neongrey posted:

, but I mostly listen for two people with big dad energy talking adjacent to a book than anything else.

Actually, this is pretty much my thing too, they’re just...pleasant to listen to, I guess. It’s also why I love the episodes where they do a musician’s biography, because they’re both so into music it ends up veering way off the book into some really interesting stuff.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Bust Rodd posted:

I like JW more than I like Collision but sometimes when I'm listening to JW at work I wanna jump up and down and scream "JUST BLOW YOUR NOSE YOU GOOBER!" like Jesus dude can you BREATHE?

Oh man, Good to know I’m not the only one, there were a few times in this newest episode I could really hear it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I’ve been going through the archives since I have a really long daily commute, and I got to an episode where they had the hosts of the Worst Bestsellers on, and holy crap, that was awful. I had to skip it within ten minutes, they’re just incredibly unpleasant to listen to.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

As a huge TWB fan, I must protest.

Although, to be fair, I stopped listening to By the Book for similar reasons. Now THOSE are some irritating voices. I almost never have misophonia, but Jolenta Greenberg's voice makes me want to die. Also, her husband is an rear end in a top hat and I am so uncomfortable listening to how he speaks to her.

(She is awesome, but podcasting is a sound-based medium, so...)

It’s something about their accents, mixed with the fact they’re both really high pitched and also talk with incredible amounts of vocal fry, which I never even usually notice. I just can’t stand it, it’s like nails on a chalkboard.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Man, I was excited to see that an episode dropped last week and I hadn’t noticed. Put it on in the car and heard it had the people from the worst bestsellers on it and turned it right off. Major bummer. I just cannot stand their voices at all.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Youth Decay posted:

But they just sound like ordinary average women? To my ears anyway. The Worst Bestsellers podcast is great too because they explore genres IDEOTV stays away from. Bad romance and YA novels are their own special kind of hilarious.

It’s a mix of accent and the vocal fry or something. I don’t know why specifically, but they’re the only podcasters I have that reaction to.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Rochallor posted:

Vocal fry is an actual quality of the human voice (listen for the stuttering/rattling at the lower edge of your vocal range), but it's thrown around a lot as a reason people who don't like women talking can point to instead of sexism. I honestly don't think it has any effect on the enjoyment or otherwise of podcasts or radio. Of anybody on this episode, Jay probably exhibits it more than either of the guests.

It may just be how I hear their crap audio quality that someone else mentioned. I’m not great at explaining why certain sounds grate, just that they do, and listening to them sucks for me.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
IDEOTV is at its best when they’re talking about book-adjacent stuff, with the “oh god what the gently caress” stuff a close second. It’s why the autobiography episodes are the best, especially the musician ones.

Looking forwards to listening to the new episode today, I have no idea how they went this long without doing a Dresden Files book.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Paladin posted:

Odd question-- I listened to episode 145 about JK Rowling's terrible mystery novel due to current events, and they mention a previously reviewed novel that heavily references the band Clutch. That's very much something I'm interested in hearing about due to a years long Clutch obsession. Any idea what book/episode they're referring to?

The Cabin at the End of the World. They didn’t do an episode on it, it was part of one episode’s recommendations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
And Jeb Lund is on this one, with his actual professional-grade recording stuff! It’s nice having a guest who doesn’t have jacked up sound quality.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Did anyone else get annoyed they confused Clive Owen and Liam Neeson in the Series of Unfortunate Events episode? Especially attributing Neeson’s racist interview comments to Owen.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I generally like this podcast despite its flaws, but this latest episode had basically everything that drives me nuts about it dialed up to 11, from the long warning at the beginning, to Chris purple prosing his way through plot in a goddamn hour, to whatever that “crap colored glasses” hairsplitting was. Does it get better after the first twenty minutes?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I feel like Atlanta Nights is a pretty :effort: choice for a show about bad books. I feel like they’ve been in a slump lately, has anyone listened to this one yet? I’m not even sure if I should bother.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I haven't been able to muster interest since Handbook for Mortals.

Looking at my podcasts app, that’s around when my listens started being increasingly unfinished. There were some good ones in there (anything music adjacent is still good) but yeah, it feels like the amount of interesting material fell off a cliff. I think now a big part is that I’m out of back episodes I’m interested in so when a new episode sucks I really notice it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

mycelia posted:

I miss the bad musician books. More of those. Maybe they're low hanging fruit but it's 2020 we deserve low hanging fruit.

edit: also more episodes with Lemon from F Plus

I like the musician book episodes because both the hosts really love music so you get a ton of digressions they’re really enthusiastic about, and enthusiasm is what the show’s really been missing lately.

And yeah, more Lemon would be good, it’s a bummer he wasn’t able to do the Zardoz episode. That would have been incredible.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Jurgan posted:

J got really salty about that one. A lot of people were defending the book in the Facebook group. Plus, someone made a favorable comparison to Roald Dahl, and that really set him off about Dahl's antisemitism.

Lately, it seems like he's been taking criticism of the episodes very personally, to the point where he left that group because it was upsetting him too much. It's probably for the best- he's got no obligation to talk to fans if it's upsetting him to do so.

The Dahl thing really reminds me of what’s annoyed me about this show, where they’ll do a giant content warning about the slightest whiff of anything offensive. It comes across less as them being offended by something and more them making a big deal of having you know they think it’s offensive. Yeah, Dahl was a shithead but he wrote a lot of really good and influential stuff, and if you’re going to throw a shitfit because people like it that’s a bit much.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
A slower schedule would definitely help and it looks like they’re kind of doing that, I noticed an episode didn’t drop in Sunday.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Gargamel Gibson posted:

They've done a bunch of her books. But yes.

They did one pretty recently, I think. Pretty sure it was within the last year.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah that episode was good I thought

For sure. It’s one of the ones I started with after enjoying their Girl With a Dragon Tattoo episode and it got me pretty hooked.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I haven’t finished the newest episode (my shorter commute is making podcasts take waaaay longer to get through) but so far it’s actually... fun again? The break and the totally different book format at least got them out of the traps dragging down some of the other episodes this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

promising carl posted:

I'm sure he mentioned in the Party Pit but I'm too lazy to log back into Facebook to check.

Someone said they had it but won’t post it, and I’m not gonna bother dming them. I DMed Collison already so if he replies I’ll post it here.
E:
“In the second nude scene of the picture, he leaned in and said “I BET IT TASTES JUST LIKE STEAK AND ONIONS”

That’s it?

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Feb 26, 2021