Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
my life goal is to become rich and famous enough that my self-published novel can be covered in propriety by awful book podcasts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

Improbable Lobster posted:

No, they weren't. Virtue Signalling isn't a real phenomena. It's a completely made up thing. It doesn't describe something that is real. It's a fake idea used to try to discredit and silence people raising issues. It isn't a thing that people who are real and alive do.

Uhh... Have you ever been around human beings? Think about the celebrities who bought Priuses to project an environmentally conscious image. Neo-nazis also have used hyperbolic bullshit in the past, you really should be better than that.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

Improbable Lobster posted:

No it isn't, because it was literally invented by neo-nazis. The term virtua signaling is literally something that neo-nazis invented.

It's gained prominence through LessWrong shits, but you don't need to wonder where the term came from. Do you not know what the words 'virtue' or 'signaling' mean? The guy who invented firefighting was a horrible rear end in a top hat who used it as a way to profit off of disasters, but should we let houses burn down?

This is almost literally a 'Hitler was a vegetarian' argument.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

Holy poo poo, the loving The Trees segment of the new Leave that Thing Alone is just loving... painful. Yes, we get it, you are incapable of imagining anyone having a different viewpoint than yourselves, we're very proud of your dedication to the god of Woke, please gently caress off. I'm not entirely white and very not a dude and yet I like this song a lot and indeed identify with Harrison Bergeron more than I probably should, at least according to you. It's almost as if people can feel held back by others and feel like they're not being recognized for their talents without it being #AllTreesMatter.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

Sham bam bamina! posted:

To be honest, I think it doesn't reflect well on their opinion of gay people if they expect them to melt away and die like the Wicked Witch if so much as a drop of The Wrong F Word meets their ears. Any time something "uncomfortable" comes up, it's like they think they're taking care of the boy in the bubble or something. It's just patronizing; if I were gay, I'd feel genuinely insulted.

Yeah, this poo poo is why I quit listening. They are totally allowed to be patronizing shits and jerk each other off about how woke they are for it, but I don't have to give them my time. It's a shame, because they used to not be as bad and be genuinely entertaining a lot of the time, although there were some signs. Like the whole thing with The Alchemist being bad because what if white people read a self-help book??? Like that book doesn't have enough other problems.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

END ME SCOOB posted:

Hi, we exist.

I DON'T BELIEVE YOU

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

Imagine that I have a big pennant that says "TWISTED!" on it, because goddamn I love that pile of trash.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

Guy Mann posted:

Last Action Hero, Cable Guy, and Starship Troopers are like the holy trinity of 90s movies that weren't that great but have had people hailing them as underrated gems almost since the day they came out on the grounds that people didn't get that they were satires. And it's like, OK but whether or not people didn't get that these were supposed to be satire that doesn't make them any better as films.

sir, this is a wendy's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

I used to love the podcast but I haven't listened to a new episode since around when they started doing the cozy mysteries. :shrug: