Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Famethrowa posted:

Still better then The Lockhorns

The Lockhorns is the best stuff getting printed in newspapers these days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

hoobajoo posted:

Why are you surprised? It's a great game, I haven't met anyone who played it and didn't love it.

Gary from Watch Out For Fireballs and some angry libertarians on tumblr.

That's pretty much everyone I have seen dislike it in any capacity, and Gary was just lukewarm, not actually negative.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I don't think 80s kids deserve to be pandered too after messing up their reactions to Ghostbusters so hard

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Ascendant frontpage superstar David "g0m" "no they will not" "yeah actually they will" Dolan wrote a beautiful parody of an Ernest Cline work even worse than his novels (be sure to click play).

G0m is a funny dude, but I feel like this is relatively weak largely because the original parodies itself

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Goosebumps

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
It pisses me off that people let such a blatant ripoff of Akira Kurosawa's The Hidden Fortress stand

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Oh man, I loved that blaster master book when I was a kid :sweatdrop:

Gonna be tough to get an hour out of it, it's only like 100 pages long.

That Blaster Master remake that came out a little while back incorporated aspects of this book into the story

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6hPZ_5cSbc

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Man as someone who's been on record as getting annoyed when they go all Californian holier-than-thou, this episode did not bother me at all.

I just really liked Collision reading that stupid passage about the beaver while Lose Yourself played

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Apes-Ma posted:

Collision is kind of a twat, but he wasn't that bad this episode.

Yeah, James Frey is enough of a poo poo I can't really get annoyed at anyone making GBS threads on him

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

DontMockMySmock posted:

I read some of these comments before listening to the episode, so I was specifically listening for Collision being smug, and still didn't really notice it. I'm much more annoyed about them constantly bringing up wrestling, and that's mostly J's fault.

Yeah surprised it was this rather than one of the many music snob episodes

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Guy Mann posted:

Lord, give me the confidence of a mediocre white noise poster.

I dunno, you clearly already have it

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
That said if you start getting annoyed with how repetitive they get in the DS3 season just skip to the other stuff they did because it really doesn't get better.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Djeser posted:

neither does DS3 heyooo

Now just rephrase this slightly but continually and repeat it for 3 hours and you'll get the experience of that season of BFSC

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Guy Mann posted:

Garry Butterfield and Kole Ross would make for good IDEOATV guests. And they are published authors thanks to Souls of Darkness so they could even fit the theme.

Sure, though with all the games they play I don't know if they'd have time to read a lovely book for a guest spot

Unless it was another Worlds of Power thing

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
The book seems kinda boring aside from being lovely and gross, so that's probably why

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

X-Ray Pecs posted:

They really need books that are fun to mock. Jay and Mike Sacco are having the times of their lives mocking Ready Player One and it’s one of the best episodes, but the Armada episode is so much worse because Jay and Clsn just sound defeated.

This is why those lovely british horror paperbacks they find are goddamn goldmines

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Don’t be a creep

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Extremely geeky nitpick I will never get an excuse to bring up again: When they did Armor, they acted like the power armored suits were a weird addition to a war clearly based off of Heinlein's Starship Troopers, but they were misremembering because there was also power armor in Starship Troopers, if not in the movie.

There, now I may rest easy before someone shoves me in a locker

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Didn’t the guy who wrote Armor literally say it was inspired by him reading Starship Troopers and wishing there was more combat?

I don't know, all I remember is they were saying it was Starship Troopers mixed with Gundam and I was like, no, bruh, the power armor was part of the original, it's a sin of the father

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

In the author's note for Slugs, the dude who wrote Slugs actually says that this is a horrible movie and no one should watch it

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Guy Mann posted:

Last Action Hero, Cable Guy, and Starship Troopers are like the holy trinity of 90s movies that weren't that great but have had people hailing them as underrated gems almost since the day they came out on the grounds that people didn't get that they were satires. And it's like, OK but whether or not people didn't get that these were supposed to be satire that doesn't make them any better as films.

Okay

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
What would they do always seems a bit forced and never seems to produce great gags

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Sham bam bamina! posted:

It's the best because it's just more Dramatic Readings.

I wouldn't mind if half the show was Dramatic Readings.

Yeah just junk What Would They Do for some other form of dramatic readings

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
At least it isn't Piers Anthony

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I think RPO is close to passing the Twilight threshold where the backlash becomes more obnoxious and omnipresent than the thing itself could ever be

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

this sounds like wishful thinking tbh

There presumably exist people who like RPO, but I haven't really encountered them in forms other than "I can see your point but I still kinda like it" comments

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Ran into some true fans at a party this weekend. They were... girls? :monocle:

WoAHHHHH a GIRL who is a GEEK? Time to be creepy and weird about that! Let me accuse them of being secretly men!

Man that was the secret worst part of RPO, you can tell Ernest Cline is an old nerd because he doesn't appear to know trans people who will feel like garbage if you accuse them of """faking""" their gender exist.

Or he does and doesn't care, but he seems more like an idiot than an active monster, so

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Scorched Spitz posted:

Did you ask if they ever had a sex-change operation?

Being a creep wasn't a request

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Jurgan posted:

"Oasis was the best thing ever to happen to black women, because now we can pretend to be white men!" Yeah...

I mean that was less about gender dysphoria than avoiding racism and sexism on the internet

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I think Spongebob has taken its place as a cultural touchstone right down to the fact that it keeps getting new seasons that nobody on the internet watches and most people agree are pretty bad.

Anyway, I hope someone draws a picture of Elmo domming Nelson Muntz and sends it to Jordan Peterson

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

The Chad Jihad posted:

I was ragging on "What would they do" a couple pages back but it worked perfectly in this one

Same, they really knocked it out of the park with that one

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I never quite realized how creepy and twilight zone the parable in that book is

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Oh god that section where the author pats himself on the back about how good his parable is was PAINFUL

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
This one looks like a whopper

http://www.idontevenownatelevision.com/2018/09/30/116-spy-killer/

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Gooooddddddd that Britney Spears interview :stonk:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

DoctorWhat posted:

but

there is no Miss Zarves

There's no nineteenth floor so

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

I Before E posted:

This is one of the few episodes where Jay and Chris' denunciations make it sound like I'd love the non-racist parts of the book.

I went out and got the like 1.99$ Kindle version just to marvel at the thing.

And Keeler's long dead so I don't have to feel bad about supporting a racist!

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I dunno I really liked the Harry Stephen Keeler one

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Skanker posted:

The RE book is something I've heard people talk about fondly (in a so-bad-it's-good way) and it sure seems it holds up? This episode got me determined to look up what Perry is all about.

Well, her dad wrote Shadows of the Empire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

GigaPeon posted:

Hey we get a shoutout in the latest episode! Apparently we're a bunch of fedora wearers who go around saying "M'lady" all the time?

Guess I gotta go update my fashion.

Goons being gigantic insufferable turbonerds is a long and venerable self-deprecating joke on SA