Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I can't really blame them for taking a stab at getting listeners through a popular book.

Book was super not suited for their format, but I enjoy their banter about dumb poo poo i personally don't enjoy, so it was still enjoyable.

(Also if you like JW don't follow him on twitter)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Seeing a dude you enjoy get in twitter slapfights is just a little embarrassing is all. And he does it a lot.

Twitter in general is just a bad idea.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Conrad_Birdie posted:

When did JW break up with his wife? He just mentioned being single on his Twitter and remembered she was a frequent guest early on.

Oh no :(

I feel bad about criticizing his Twitter now. Can't imagine it makes reading lovely tweets easy to stomach

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Dec 1, 2016

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I'm not sure I want to listen to them talk about Rush for an entire show, but I love them for naming it after the most underrated Rush instrumental. :peanut:

I really dislike rush, but I dig their chemistry and enthusiasm so I'll probably listen.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Sham bam bamina! posted:

This was a good one. Since the book had basically no substance to speak of, the conversation was a lot more free-flowing and causal. It almost felt like a very laid-back Flop House episode.

Looking forward to the NaNoWriMo music and to maybe someday eventually finding out just what happened to JW at Chuck E. Cheese's. :stare:

I think J has mentioned that he sees the Flop House as his main inspiration, so it's cool to see him emulating his idols in a unique way.

It was a very nostalgic episode for me. Made me remember requesting a huge list of Goosebumps and Animorphs paperbacks at a school bookfair. :allears:

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

The Vosgian Beast posted:

inb4 a buncha goons stunting about how they totally didn't like it in high school

Nerdo, we all know you did

I read the entire series when I was ~9 and I think it messed with me a little.

I also think I rented Wyrms from the library around the same age, which is a fantasy book in which a mystical worm lures a 15 y/o virgin to him telepathically so it can rape her and impregnate her with Jesus. :stonklol:

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Read Ender's Game, then read the essay(ies) "Ender and Hitler: Sympathy for the Superman" or "Creating the Innocent Killer: Ender's Game, Intention, and Morality", then re-read the book and be horrified at how creepy the book is.

Gives you an interesting perspective on how insidious fascist strains of thought can be.

edit: I haven't listened to the podcast yet, but I'm really glad they linked to "Innocent Killer". Excited to listen now.

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Dec 27, 2016

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

Or you could just not read it twice

that too. I like to hate-read though :shrug:

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Is this the one written by a crazy Joss Whedon fan who accused Card of being an actual literal Nazi or a Hitler fanboy? Because even Jay found that to be exaggerating things, and he loving hated the book and Card.

I don't know much about the authors background honestly (though I doubt the Joss Whedon bit since the essay is from 1987) but it doesn't call Card a literal nazi. It's mostly guilty of overstating its points because it's an amateur essay by a non-critic

It has flaws, but it was the first essay to criticize Card at a time when every sci-fi publication was singing the praises of the novel. Coming from an unknown female writer during the most chauvinistic era of sci-fi, that's pretty impressive. Grain of salt, and the Innocent Killer essay is more scholarly (I recommended Ender and Hitler first since it's a easier read), but it's still thought-provoking and worth a read

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Dec 27, 2016

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

You don't think it's weird that the book falls over itself to excuse every action of a cold, calculating sociopath 6 year old, who literally kicks 2 children to death and faces no real consequences?

Then when this sociopath commits genocide, we are supposed to feel sorry for him?

It's a creepy, manipulative book with a agenda.

Edit: also, the critique of the book as genocide apologia came way before Card was outed as a crazy homophobe.

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Dec 27, 2016

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I don't think it is advocating for genocide, and I don't think anyone does say that, but it offers a weak-rear end handwaving of it.

Which, to be fair, is probably the theological point of the novel, but gently caress that point of view tbh.

edit: also, the speaker of the dead thing is a direct reference to the Mormon tradition of going through Holocaust victim lists and posthumously baptizing them as Mormon. As a jew, that is beyond reprehensible.

Edit2: I'm very, very biased against the religious institution of mormonism, to be completely clear here. Card, in my mind, parrots their most offensive beliefs.

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Dec 28, 2016

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Honestly that's what bothers me most about the Ender Hitler essay

Non-consequentialist ethical frameworks exist, and people believe them without being monsters. Read a book, nerdo.

EDIT: Though it's been a while, so I might be misremembering. Googling mostly turns up dead links.

That's not what the essay claims. It's entirely focused on the questionable ethics of the book in question.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I internet archived it and this quote in particular is some bullshit

Sorry, no

I'm interested in a refutation, either from you or elsewhere, because that sounds reasonable to me.

Can take this to pm if you want so this bad book podcast isn't overrun by more of my bullshit.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

That's a big plus for SF
You can create scenarios that would never exist in the real world and examine them as such. It's like saying Blade is an evil movie, because in real life there wouldn't be any vampires and he'd just be murderizing normal people.

That's also why sci-fi polemics need to be heavily picked apart and critiqued. They can be incredibly misleading.

apokaladle posted:

Aw poo poo, really? I haven't read the books in a while, but I thought the speaker for the dead was a really cool idea. Then again, I'm realizing there was a lot I didn't pick up about the books.

The whole series is heavily influenced by Mormon cosmology, especially the way colonies are conceived as being heterogenous groups of people (like the Mormon concept of afterlife). It'd be interesting to pick apart in detail, but gently caress reading those boring things.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I have no problems with Mormons, or the religion at large, I have a problem with individual Mormons like Card, and with things promoted by the Mormon institution.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Jay was referring to hating "posers" and "sellouts" for peer approval since he was part of the hardcore scene. He's mentioned it before, along with his dabbling in straight edge.

His distaste for sexist bullshit is genuine.

Chris....is a little annoying on twitter with his "no one should find this *popular meme* funny it's stupid"

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Not the strongest episode, but taking aim at a weirdly popular garbage author is always pleasing.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I Before E posted:

Oh poo poo I forgot Sufjan had a Christmas album. I've gotten back into him recently, I should check that out closer to Christmas.

I'm not religious, or christian, but Sufjan's genuine faith makes for really enjoyable and moving music.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

J just posted on Facebook that our favorite clack-clackety good boy is not long for this world thanks to health problems :(.

Losing a dogge is the hardest thing, I think J could has some condolences right now

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

The new episode contains a digression about cargo pants that contains the line "magic yoohoo pockets"

Might be the best episode yet just from that.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I won't even touch the virtue signaling thing, because that's just a lovely internet nazi concept that I wish normal people would stop using, but the podcast has definitely been less funny lately and more dour.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Drunkboxer posted:

Why was Jay's twitter suspended?

He got sick of twitter slapfights and toxicity.

It's 100% for the better. He got super nasty on there.

quote:

Yeah. If you're on their Facebook group, it's full of the sort of people who get really angry over really innocuous things, so if that's the majority of their audience I kind of get why they give ten minutes of content warnings and five more of post-hoc disavowing.

Really? I get nothing but good vibes from the group. Really good people on there.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I think that is true 100%. I want them to get back to lovely pulp novels. I think those are always the most enjoyable novels.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Jay totally smokes all the time during episodes. He once did a bong rip on mic, and it made me immediately realize, thinking back, that he pretty regularly coughs and comes back with a raspy voice. :v:

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

The fplus tries, generally, to focus on idiots hurting themselves or being silly. They seem to stay away from people getting hurt nonconsensually. Their sex episodes tend to avoid rape when possible, like when they avoided the rape tentacles in the hentai episode.

They aren't perfect, but they are generally pretty good about avoiding the unfunny and nasty parts of the internet. That's the kind of "unpleasant" I appreciate them avoiding.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Man he looks like a guy who will talk your ear off about Rush on a bus ride

I think thats the best part about Collision

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Tiggum posted:

The early Andy Capp comics are not nearly as horrifying as these podcasters make them out to be. I mean, they couldn't and shouldn't be published in newspapers today, but you'd have to be pretty sheltered to find them shocking when you consider other media of the time.

Still better then The Lockhorns

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Sham bam bamina! posted:

That girl on the left is discomfortingly "sexy".

what

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

aside from collision going full Record Store Guy at the end and making a fool of himself

why I dropped the show right here

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Goons being gigantic insufferable turbonerds is a long and venerable self-deprecating joke on SA

J is a former goon too so he knows pretty well.

Think that "roll call" rap was him.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The Patreon episode this month was goddamn hilarious, I love when they do weird books like “something a 9 year old wrote in 1890”.

I’ve only been listening to this for a month or so and I love it. I was kind of surprised that a lot of people in this thread don’t like Collision too much, I think he’s a pretty good cohost. Though, like I said, only been listening for a little while, maybe I’ll get sick of him.

He's pretty good in small doses, but his jokey tics and idiosyncrasies get tiring.

Mostly, I'd like to have guest cohosts again just for a change of pace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

omnibobb posted:

I haven't listened to Descendants or All in a long while. What's problematic about their lyrics?

"Hope" in particular has pretty sinister nice guy vibes